[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never been here before, but a Steyr plant recently opened in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_9202.jpg (21KB, 550x217px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9202.jpg
21KB, 550x217px
Never been here before, but a Steyr plant recently opened in Alabama and I'm a new adult/looking to be a new gun owner. I've shot and cares for guns all my life so I was just wondering if an Aug or something similar would be a good first gun to own.
>>
>>32890112
AUGs are nice
>>
>>32890116
cs 1.6 is not rl
>>
>>32890124
yet you base your knowledge on cs AUG
>>
>>32890112
AUGs are solid guns but designed for military use and therefore overkill as a range toy.

But it depends on the price anon. And do they really manufacture them in Alabama?
>>
>>32890112
>First gun
> $2000
No.
>>
The trigger will leave something to be desired.
>>
>>32890112
Build an AR from parts first. Everyone's first gun should be a basic bitch AR they built by hand.

They're simple, you feel great about building it, and it's extremely hard to fuck up.

Ammo is cheap, they're a good introduction to shooting, and if you get tired of it, you can trade them for something else very easily.

Sure, they're aesthetically boring, but rifle is for shoot, not for look.
>>
>>32890112
Go with a 22. for first gun always.
>>
>>32890112

for your first salt rifle go here:

http://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/oem-mid-length-16-rifle-w-25-gift-card-prod81838.aspx

As an actual Austrian who is more or less forced to own the AUG because everything else legal is shit, I'd say stay away. There is nothing ARs and AKs don't do better than the AUG.
>>
>>32890660
>Building an AR
Pass
>>
>>32890661

These days, he might as well get a 9x19 carbine.
>>
>>32890677
>These days, he might as well get a 9x19 carbine.
sure, if you want the size and weight of a rifle but not the performance....
>>
The cheapest three rounds im aware of are 9x19, 5.56x45, and 7.62x39

If you're gonna get a first gun, it should probs be in one of these calibers

.22 is a bad choice because it's always the first to go thanks to asshole preppers
>>
>>32890112
Sure, why not?

>>32890664
>As an actual Austrian who is more or less forced to own the AUG because everything else legal is shit
prove it faggit, otherwise you are just this whiny bitch >>32890632 samefagging
>>
>>32890112
>good first gun to own.
It's a very nice gun. Easily the best bullpup out there. Hopefully you ignore the poorfags crying bout not owning it as a first gun because of cost. If you have kids/ever plan to they'll definitely cherish as a unique piece from dad.

My dads Winchester was his first gun to and it was a relatively expensive collectors item even back in the 80s. I definitely love it far more than a generic cheap SKS or AK he could have gotten on a budget at the time.
>>
>>32890710
What?
>>
File: WIN_20150718_132247.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20150718_132247.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
>>32890710
>prove it faggit

Wie soll ich beweisen dass ich Ösi bin?
>>
>>32890677
The only carbine I suggest is the Marlin Camp Carbine. Since it's fucking amazing.
>>
>>32890710
it's not him it's that Austrian guy that posts Austrian military picture threads then shits on his country and AUG because they aren't America and can't destroy any country on the planet.

Quite autistic desu.

The AUG is a good fucking gun only a retard would say otherwise. The quality is way higher than pretty much any rifle (assault style/modern sporting) out there too with few exceptions.
>>
>>32890112
they're nice guns, but expensive. There are two versions. The original takes a proprietary magazine, but enables you to live out your Die Hard fantasies. The newer version takes stanag mags and looks more tactical. Make sure you know which version you are buying.
>>
>>32890772
>Make sure you know which version you are buying.
And make sure it's the Steyr AUG magazine version.
>>
>>32890779
>And make sure it's the Steyr AUG magazine version.

yeah, aint no better thing than paying 70bx for a mag when a pmag ar mags can be had for 15bx....
>>
>>32890741
Its not every day on /k/unts that someone brings the proofs. gj

So tell OP why its a shit choice. You say you are basically restricted from owning anything else, so what basis do you stand on for suggesting another fun besides the AUG if you have not much experience with others?
>>
>>32890805
Steyr OEM 42rd mags go on sale for like $28. Its not a HK cunt.
>>
>>32890112
>new adult

I'm going with "no", shotguns are easier to start with anyway.
>>
>>32890805
They go on sale for $15 at 44mag all the time. Magpul makes mags for poorfags such as yourself anyway. Meanwhile the AUG has a more robust magazine with superior feed geometry for 5.56. Lurk more faggot.
>>
>>32890838
>So tell OP why its a shit choice.

Because it's a snowflake rifle with little support in the US.

>You say you are basically restricted from owning anything else,

Yes, only some 15 semi auto rifles are legal to own here. Among them shitty and expensive AR types that cost 2300+bx and would be bottom of the barrel tier quality in the US. I would buy 5 of the AP rifles in >>32890664 if I could.

>so what basis do you stand on for suggesting another fun besides the AUG if you have not much experience with others?

I do have some exp as I do travel and get to shoot other people's gun. G36s, OA AR-15, Schmeisser AR-15s, VZ-58, HERA and SIG ARs, Cugirs AKs.
>>
>>32890874
>>32890845
Ok. maybe you ahve cheap mags over there, sorry. all I know is that when I find 50€ used army mags that'S considered cheap. New mags are hard to come by and cost 70€

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6254116

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6310837
>>
>>32890910
>I shot some guns on the range a few times
Embarrassing. Swissfags defend their 10lb abortion stamped steel Ak knockoff despite having access to many better rifles. Meanwhile, Austrians have the AUG which is easily superior to anything 90% of Europe has and they shit on it by comparing it to guns they can't even purchase. All of this despite American shooters who can own basically everything saying it's good.

kys
>>
>>32890947
>Embarrassing. Swissfags defend their 10lb abortion stamped steel Ak knockoff despite having access to many better rifles.

Sorry, I'm not a countryballing shithead. I judge things based on their objective emrit. If I could, I'd trade you my AUG for that AP AR. I shot a Windham Weaponry AR in Germany last summer and it was fabulous.

>Meanwhile, Austrians have the AUG which is easily superior to anything 90% of Europe has

That's not a particularly high bar...

>and they shit on it by comparing it to guns they can't even purchase. All of this despite American shooters who can own basically everything saying it's good.

Then own it ffs.
>>
>>32890112
If they were available in CA when I bought my first gun I would have gone for one. If you like it and have the money go for it.
>>
>>32890996
>objective emrit
why haven't you criticized the AUG on anything but cost then?
Objectively the AUG has
>Steyr HF barrel
>superior magazine geometry and dimensions for polymer
>shorter
>adjustable gas system
>integrated optic (pro or con depending on use)
>superior bolt design not prone to shredding like the AR-15
>sealed design
>ambi mag release standard
>>
>>32890664
>As an actual Austrian who is more or less forced to own the AUG because everything else legal is shit
what are you on about ?

>>32890710
somebody so dumb must be the real deal
I apologize for him

>>32890741
>actually posting a timestamp pic of your passport
what a cuck
>>
>>32890112
The aug is a pretty good gun. That being said, I would suggest you get an AR15 before any other rifle, and a solid concealed carry pistol.
>>
>>32890874
>44mag
been lookin for that for a long time. thanks!

>>32890910
>Because it's a snowflake rifle with little support in the US.
parts are easier to get over here. its probably not the same as there, so cannot apply.
>only some 15 semi auto rifles are legal to own here.
that sucks balls. What about over in Swiss? I thought everything was pretty much legal there, you just need permits/licenses? Prolly still fuckspensive tho
>http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6254116
yea, fuck that mess lol

>>32890947
>Swissfags defend their 10lb abortion stamped steel Ak knockoff
I thought that was sweden who had the SAKO?
>>
>>32891071
>>superior bolt design not prone to shredding like the AR-15
explain
>>sealed design
That non-recip charging handle and its groove doesn't look very sealed to me....
And what's this I hear about getting a burnt hand if its anywhere but the VFG?
>>
>>32891071
>why haven't you criticized the AUG on anything but cost then?

Fine

>>Steyr HF barrel

meh. Some/Most of those free floated AR I shot are more accurate.

>>superior magazine geometry and dimensions for polymer

Meh. Like PMAG have any problems these days. Or anti tilt follower GI mags.

>>shorter

Not really. Depending on the state of current year's panic buying, you may see prices fluctiate from one extreme to the other for specific barrels. Also, Austria legal AUGs lack the quick barrel change function. You need to pull the receiver out of the stock and undo a screw to be able to change the barrel.

>>adjustable gas system

do you shoot genades or ammo that so vastly different in it's loading?

>>integrated optic (pro or con depending on use)

It's a shit optic. If you get one, get the flat top and a proper optic like an ACOG.

>>superior bolt design not prone to shredding like the AR-15

It's the same bolt in an upside down AK configuration so the reciling bolt's impulse pulls the muzzle down instead of up as in the AK.

>sealed design

Not really. charging handle slot will let dirt in if fine sediment mud should ever get on there.

>ambi mag release standard

lol. you should have mentioned the left hand charging handle that doesn't reciprocate. that's an advantage. the mag release isn't. it's actually FUBAR.
>>
>>32891087
>what are you on about ?
Wieviele legale Halbautomated sind auf der Liste atm?
>>
>>32891137
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3282880/Steyr_AUG_design_details

No point in going bit by bit here when this covers it. Every criticism I have on the AR15 bolt is improved or absent.

the CH opening is no threat to the chamber which is where ingress causes issues.
>>
>>32891169
>It's a shit optic.
I thought it looked pretty badass in the pics you posted. 1.5x seemed perfect with that mm objective and basically nothing silouette (or maybe it was a youtube video)
>>
>>32891169
So it's shit to own because you get a cuck version in Austria? Good to know we can't rely on Austrians to give us facts about civilian AUGs then.

>It's the same bolt in an upside down AK configuration so the reciling bolt's impulse pulls the muzzle down instead of up as in the AK.

KEK!
>>
>>32891186
you know damn well what's on the list
>>
>>32890112
Why don't you go for the F-90

http://www.lithgowarms.com/portfolio-item/f90/

Much improved Steyer, probably on sale soon enough somewhere
>>
File: 1430411105329.jpg (579KB, 1345x1998px) Image search: [Google]
1430411105329.jpg
579KB, 1345x1998px
>>32891201
>https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3282880/Steyr_AUG_design_details
excellent fucking find. Can you imagine if /k/ threads were like this? I think brains would literally melt out of autists ears.
>>
>>32891214
>I thought it looked pretty badass in the pics you posted. 1.5x seemed perfect with that mm objective and basically nothing silouette (or maybe it was a youtube video)

looks are irrelevant and 1.5 in 2017 is pointless. give any shooter an adjustable scope from 1-8 on a 223 rifle and they will usually have it cranked up all the way all the time.

>>32891218
well I've also used the select fire version in the army. and yes, kek all you want, the BCG does work like an AK BCG turned over.
>>
>>32891282
>give any shooter an adjustable scope from 1-8 on a 223 rifle and they will usually have it cranked up all the way all the time.
huh, thats pretty contrary to basically every SOF group pic I've seen where 2/3rds of the guys are rocking 1x red dots.

Or are you talkin about range jockeys and fudds?
>>
>>32891245
>you know damn well what's on the list
well, if it hasn't changed in the last 2 year, then it's not much. so what's up with your post in >>32891087 "what are you on about?"? I'm on about the fact that there are only a few semi auto rifles that are AUT-legal.
>>
>>32891265
did I miss something, this thread seems to be praising the aug.
whats wrong
>>
>>32891309
Maybe lost in translation? There was nothing but praise implied in that post. Basically 'Thanks for the link'
>>
>>32891300
>huh, thats pretty contrary to basically every SOF group pic I've seen where 2/3rds of the guys are rocking 1x red dots.

Yes, in ADDITION to a 4-8 scope of various sorts.

>Or are you talkin about range jockeys and fudds?

No, I'm talking about srs shooters who know what they are doing. seeing things helps you hit things better. field of view is mostly irrelevant if you are trained as you instinctively manage to get the rifle about on target without having to go scouting for it - IF YOU ARE TRAINED THAT IS.
>>
>>32891309
>did I miss something
yeah the part where not everyone in the thread is a bitter Austfag.

>>32891252
Can't wait but I won't recommend a gun I haven't shot. It has a lot of changes to the design. The polymer receiver is interesting too.
>>
>>32891325
thanks for clearing that up

ive had that and the P90S on my must have

>>32891351
>Austfag
???
>>
>>32891300
pretty much this
i have a 3-9 and a 4-15 scope and they stay at the lowest setting until i start trying to shoot 400 yards plus, then they get dialed up, the shot is taken and they are immediately turned back down, have fun trying to find a target in your scope at 800 yards at 15x, especially if its on the run
>>
>>32891343
>Yes, in ADDITION to a 4-8 scope of various sorts.
lol no nigger.... ounces=pounds to them. There are no 45deg offset T-1's with 6x acogs over there. Go back to CoD

>field of view is mostly irrelevant
do go on.....but before you do, answer me this: Are you that hungryskellington aka TheRussian?
>>
Used an AUG in the Irish army. I'm wasn't a particularly good shot, but even a novice can comfortably group their shots 300m easily, and a child could handle the recoil. Apparently they were a significant usability upgrade on the FALs used before. And if you ever needed to club somebody, the rubber butt-plate could tear the skin from a man's face.
There's some weird minor design quirk with them though - every so often you'll realise that you've gotten a little skin torn off a left finger on some element of the cocking mechanism if you weren't wearing gloves. It happened to everybody. They foul up quick inside too.
>>
>>32890578
>designed for military use
>not objectively the best guns to own

If you can afford it, go for it, op.
>>
>>32890708

9x19 is the least expensive centerfire round and the availability is often better than .22lr's.

>>32890751

There are a bunch of good options depending on what you plan on using it for. Some of which can be had for really cheap, like the Hi-Point.
>>
>>32891411
He hasn't ever played NAMCO's "Silent Scope".
He actually thinks a 9x is point-n-shoot like his PA red-dot

>>32891487
Did you like the L1A1 better?
>>
>>32891511

Military equipment is made by the lowest bidder...
>>
>>32891591
Handled the FN along with a demonstration AK brought back from Liberia in our armoury, but never got to fire it myself. Compared to the AUG A1 its a heavy fucker though.
>>
>>32890660
>Ammo is cheap
no
>>
File: 20160225_205413.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160225_205413.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>32890112
AUG owner here. Bit of a pricey first gun, but it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a rifle because you want something to shoot at a distance, plink/use for possible hunting? If so an AUG is a fine choice, but be aware it is a pricey gun made from pricey parts. I absolutely love mine, but am currently hunting down an A1 scope. Honestly speaking though, for a first gun I'd recommend a 9mm handgun of which there are plenty for you to try and feel.
>>
File: 1 (28).jpg (3MB, 3360x2240px) Image search: [Google]
1 (28).jpg
3MB, 3360x2240px
>>32890112
Yes they're great guns if you want something a little different then the usual AR15
>>
Dont be a pussy OP do it
>>
>>32891593
Which still has to go through reliability testing even when they've chosen the gun they want to use. They're not gonna let the quality go down that easily.
>>
>>32892076

There is no end to the terrible equipment that has entered military service. Even if we go with just firearms, the list goes on quite a while.
>>
>>32891872
Email Pete Athens. He might be able to find what you're looking for.
>>
Honestly, 90% of any civilian firearms use is fondling. Probably on the couch, or when you're taking a shit.

Buy whatever gets your rocks off. Fuck what anyone else says.
>>
>>32892642
Oh I know about PJ. He's on the prowl for me, sadly it's taking a lot longer than he was expecting.
>>
OP and anyone else interested can just buy one and sell it later if they don't care for it.

Instead of worrying about others opinions, use your money to find out what you like. Buy at a price you can roughly match at resale. You don't have to keep every weapon you buy. You can experience more weapons by purchase and resale or barter.
>>
File: Cuck.jpg (121KB, 780x811px) Image search: [Google]
Cuck.jpg
121KB, 780x811px
>>32891087
>Oh shit, he's actually who he says he is on this Peruvian apiary forum
>h-ha, actually posting a timestamp, fucking c-cuck

Holy shit this nigger is legit retarded
>>
>>32892830
Are you even able to mount them on the A3 M1 receivers?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.