[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to Metal Storm?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: metal6.jpg (46KB, 650x323px) Image search: [Google]
metal6.jpg
46KB, 650x323px
What happened to Metal Storm?
>>
[spoiler]One hit from this and it's all over[/spoiler]
>>
>>32889280
expensive.
>>
Went bankrupt several years ago, and the rights to the name and patent were bought by another Australian company only a couple years ago.

The fact that it's Australian-based and not American or European will by itself mean that nothing will really ever come of it. You can't expect a business to operate well when they're that far from their main potential revenue streams.
>>
>>32889280
Part of the issue is efficiency. It's still just a short-range weapon. It's heavy and pricey. You have to think of scenarios in which this thing would be worth using in the place of other short-range munitions like launched grenades or single-user rockets that can inflict similar amounts of damage.
>>
>>32889312
i don't think the fact that it was australian based made a difference in its demise. its technology that didn't have a purpose nor did anyone find it interesting. its essentially just a science project, no real purpose.
>>
>>32889348
>i don't think the fact that it was australian based made a difference in its demise.

You are very naive. BAE made a whole separate division based in America so they could realistically compete in America. For most countries, defense companies are just job programs so they will never buy from a non-domestic company.
>>
>>32889348
They actually did sell a variety of products, it wasn't a single gun.
>>
>>32889348
I don't understand why they focused on emplacements rather then infantry systems, an assault rifle that bursts over a dozen rounds with no recoil would of been great
>>
>>32889280
>Actually thinking battery power from the early-mid 2000's was actually as good as it is now.

It wasn't and nobody actually saw the distance it could effectively engage.
>>
>>32889312
this, if it's not European or US made no one will buy stuff that isn't Chink/slav tier cheap.
>>
>>32889376
>infantry systems
No and stay no.

You want to lug around a 40kg lipo battery?
You wanna get shot in the 40kg lipo battery?
It'd be like a man-sized Samsung Galaxy 7.
>>
>>32889390
>You want to lug around a 40kg lipo battery?

Only needs a 9v battery to ignite propellant
>>
>>32889407
Then it would still have recoil, if you're igniting propellant.
>>
>>32889430
It's bursting several rounds at a time so fast that it feels like just a single round
>>
>>32889367
>>32889368
true, but my argument is that it wasn't a project developed to fulfill a contract, it was product without a clear buyer. they had some sales but if there weren't any serious interest with large sales as then it would have been brought into the states for further production.
>>
>>32889440
They were approached and/or funded by half a dozen countries' militaries, including America and China...
>>
>>32889280
the gatling gun was invented
>>
>>32889438
That'd probably be less useful than you're thinking it would be for the average soldier.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.