[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Guns to Own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 5no44scoped-021858.jpg (22KB, 740x205px) Image search: [Google]
5no44scoped-021858.jpg
22KB, 740x205px
Hi /k/

I grew up in an extremely liberal city. I know literally 2 Trump voters in my entire social sphere, and owning guns is equally rare. Since I have left for college I have also left this 'bubble' I was raised in. I now live in a much more purple area, and many of my local friends own guns. This made me realize how lucky I was to be from a state, and country, which has looser gun laws, so when I went home for Christmas break I bought my first rifle, a Savage Arms 64fx. I have really enjoyed owning the gun, and Im going through the process of getting my hunting license for snowshoe hare next winter.

Ok enough back story, time for the real question. What are the basic guns one should own to have a well rounded arsenal? Having a basic .22 seemed like a very obvious place to start, but moving forward what would you recommend next? A shotgun, semi-auto full caliber rifle? Pistol? I have a crush on the Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine, so Id like to know if you guys think thats a good next step. My budget is somewhat limited so that should also be a factor.

I basically wanna know what you guys think are good guns for someone looking to build a smaller, fun, and practical arsenal.
>>
Simple 9mm Glock
.22LR Rifle
Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 or Ithaca M37 shotgun

if you want to go big get a (your state legal) AR15 or if legal a semi-auto AK.

If you want to make your memes a reality get an SKS and/or Mosin Nagant
>>
>>32888624
So you dont think a full caliber rifle is necessary? Or are you recommending a Mosin/SKS? What about the enfield, would that work as a hunting rifle?
>>
>>32888649
Enfield is fine as a hunting rifle, I've seen .303 British soft points.
>>
>>32888649
Enfield would work good for hunting.
Comparable to 30-06, maybe a little heavy compared to a hunting rifle in a Sporter stock but definitely doable. Look at all the Brits that carried them in the world wars.

Just pretend the deer is wearing a stahlhelm
>>
>>32888709
Alright thanks anon, I think an enfield might be next on my list.
>>
Bump. New to guns here, I first wanted a 9mm handgun so I purchased pic related.

Now I want a rifle. Are you saying itt that anything over .22 is pointless for a rifle? I'd like to know more before making my next purchase.
>>
>>32888602
9mm polymer handgun
.22 rifle
5.56 M4orgery
12 gauge shotgun
.308/30-06 bolt action
.357 6 shot revolver

You'll basically have everything covered.
>>
>>32888602
Any 9mm handgun of your choosing and a semi auto rifle in an intermediate cartridge of your choosing.
Skip the .22 unless you really want one.
>>
I also suggest the Glock 19, Remington 870, and AR15

That covers everything. An 870 than can handle 3" slugs also covers deer and big game hunting, just not far western type of hunting, where a scope 30-06 or .270 is the right tool.

But since you probably just go to the range twice a year, a 9mm, .223, and 12 ga is all you need
>>
>>32892977
>.22
You'd be better served with a .223 instead for most purposes (everything from varminting to plinking).
>>
My suggestions
38 snub or a compact 9mm incase you want to carry
Lee enfield would be fine for hunting
A mossberg 500 field and home defense combo
All reasonably priced and would be a well rounded collection.
>>
>>32893196
Funny, I thought the same and bought a .223 for my first gun. But I take out my 10/22 way more often, and it gets at least 10x the number of rounds through it. I could have built two AR's for what I've invested in the .22lr as well. It reaches out to 200 yards no problem, just a big hold over. .22lr kicks ass man. All my buddies shoot their 10/22 more than their .223's as well.
>>
>>32888602
just fyi ar15 prices are at rock bottom so if you'd ever consider getting one now is a great time.
>>
>>32892977
a 22 has light recoil for practice marksmanship, plus even a 22 can be used to hunt hogs
>>
>semi auto pistol
>AK or AR type scary black salt rifle
>bolt action rifle in full power caliber
>break action, pump action, or semi auto 12 gauge shotgun
That covers the basics. If you want to get into other stuff like revolvers or battle rifles or lever actions, that's fine too.
>>
>>32893196
>>32893481
Thanks. So a Remington in .223 would do just fine?
>>
>>32893160
Any reason to get a Glock 19 rather than a 17? Or is it just personal preference?
>>
File: cuddlepuddle.png (21KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
cuddlepuddle.png
21KB, 112x112px
An AR15

It better have a carry handle and a 20" barrel or you're a faggot
>>
>>32888602

1 AR-15 or AK pattern rifle, both if you like

1 handgun chambered in any of the big 3 calibers but for the love of God please don't get anything in .40

1 military surplus rifle of your choosing

1 shotgun be it pump, semi, lever, or break action

1 sporting arm, generally a generic bolt or lever action rifle with high commonality

optionally:

1 battle rifle in .308

1 obscure firearm that you can still get ammunition for if you want to be a special snowflake

1 precision rifle

1 cowboy action firearm (schofields, SAA Army repros, muzzle loading revolvers, lever action rifles chambered in common revolver cartridges, double barrel shotguns with extractors)

1 range toy, usually constituted by something utterly ludicrous and impractical but fun nonetheless

1 pistol caliber carbine
>>
>>32888602
ptr91 (carbine?)
yugo underfolder ak
colt 6920 ar
870 ati top folder or benelli supernova
glock 20
glock 29
czp07
>>
>>32893630
you can use the big 33 round mags still but it's more ccw-able than the 17. i have a 17 and probably should have gone with the 19.
>>
>>32888649
It would work fine as a hunting rifle, but you should also consider ammo availability in your area.

For me I think there are only one or two stores in a 25 mile radius that carry .303, and that supply is limited to one brand of FMJ and maybe one brand of soft points. You can order online of course, but be prepared for shipping costs.
>>
>I grew up in an extremely liberal city. I know literally 2 Trump voters in my entire social sphere, and owning guns is equally rare.

I don't know anyone that voted for Trump, yet most of the people I know own firearms. I hate how people have to make firearm ownership into some sort of partisan thing.

Anyway, I always suggest learning to shoot with a bolt action .22LR rifle. Very cheap, and very easy to use. But you already have a semi-auto, so nevermind.

From there, it depends on what you want to do with your firearms. Hunting, target shooting, and self-defense are the big three categories.

Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with a handgun in 9x19, a rifle in 5.56x45, and a shotgun in 12 ga.

I'd suggest going for the longguns before the handguns, as handguns are harder to use. They also might be difficult for you to get, since you're likely under 21.
>>
>>32893916
Even the 19 is quite large. I'd go straight to the G26 if concealed carry was a main purchase point.
>>
>>32894023
>I hate how people have to make firearm ownership into some sort of partisan thing.

Well, when the majority of liberals support gun control, it's very hard for it not to be a partisan issue.
>>
>>32894023
Thanks anon, OP here.

If I had to pick a gun for each of the categories suggested I would get a:

>M9fs Inox
>Ruger Mini-14 (Wood furniture)
>Remington 870

Do those sound like good choices? I choose the Mini-14 over an AR for a few reasons, mostly aesthetic. I know I could get a equally preforming AR for the same price, but the look and feel of the Ruger (I have fired both rifles) appeals to me much more. What do you think?
>>
>>32896051
And a majority of conservatives oppose legalized recreational marijuana; I still know better than to talk politics with my dealer.

That being said, not OP here really appreciates all the info being dumped here. In a similar situation to OP, although haven't quite gotten myself out of the firearm danger zone that has become western Connecticut (yes, yes, boo-hoo for me.)

Anyway, it's all greatly appreciated.
>>
File: 1391969001610.jpg (455KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1391969001610.jpg
455KB, 2000x1500px
>>32888602
The Jungle Carbine is a cool little gun, but ammo is 15 dollars a box or more. Wolf makes steel cases .303 for 10 bucks a box but it key holes out of No. 4s and No. 5s. If you really want one get it. PPU is gunna be your best friend for ammo. Might also want to get a 9mm, a .45 and 12 Gauge pump and an AR-15
>>
>>32897845
Wow, thanks friend.

I'm a person who really values aesthetics but if ammo is that restrictive then I might go for something else. Any recommendations for surplus rifles that have a similar look? I really like bolt carbines.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.