[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get a katana. And NO I'm not some faggot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: musashi_damascus_katana_sword.jpg (76KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
musashi_damascus_katana_sword.jpg
76KB, 540x540px
I'm looking to get a katana. And NO I'm not some faggot ass weaboo. I just enjoy collecting weapons and I have been collecting firearms and knives for years. I just want to add a katana to my collection. Something to just put on my headboard as a display piece, or maybe even chop something in my backyard with occasionally. Admittedly I know jack shit about swords. I want to get something good, not one of those $49.99 cutlerlycorner bullshit jobs, but I'm not trying to pay $100,000 for some hand forged custom order folded 6 million times nippon one either.
Help me out /k/
>>
>>>/toy/
>>
>>32885281
Eat shit
>>
File: IMG_2677 (2).jpg (1MB, 3263x1509px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2677 (2).jpg
1MB, 3263x1509px
>>32885281
Okay well you are looking at about $150 up to however much you are willing to pay. Let's keep it production to keep it simple. You are looking at $150 to $3,000 .

I would recommend $250-$350, and since it is your first one, if you plan on using it for cutting, get a mono temper blade, not a historical differential temper. Mono tempers are much more durable.

I recommend looking at the brands Cheness, Ronin Katana, and Hanwei at this price point.

Pic related is my Hanwei Raptor, I bought it almost 7 years ago now. It has held up great.
>>
>>32887855
Hanwei, according to a certain furry on youtube, does acceptable things for the price. They don't do top notch stuff, but it's good enough to work (which is much more than wallhangers will do)
>>
File: 001 K copy.jpg (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
001 K copy.jpg
1MB, 1280x960px
>>32887855
>>32887901

Hanwei is best value IMO

in pic is 12+ year old practical ninja
>>
>>32887901
Lol I actually think I know the guy you are talking about

I really recommend the youtuber Matthew Jensen, he specializes in Katanas. And does everything from $200 production swords to $10,000+ customs. And he does it in a very down to Earth, easy for us dumb america/euro fags to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Krunan
>>
File: Ima weaboo too.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ima weaboo too.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
>>32887948
Forgot the pic.

I also have a $650 Valiant Armour longsword on order currently. But that's European stuff.
>>
Hanwei, Ronin Katana, Munetoshi, Huawei-swords, St. Nihonto, Cheness

For $200-500 these are the best people to go to
>>
>>32887962
>I also have a $650 Valiant Armour longsword on order currently

Oh hey I also have one ordered, what did you go with?
>Kriegschwert with brown handle, blue scabbard, and tan belt & harness
>>
>>32885281
The design assumes lamination in the metal. If you aren't going to get a laminated katana, it's kind of a waste of time. If you "just want a katana" and don't care about its design or history as a weapon, then just pick any old off the shelf shit, it's all going to be basically the same as long as it isn't made of chinesium.
>>
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.
>>
>>32887987
HEY I saw you in an other thread and was going to reply but the thread was pruned.

It's a Rhinelander with a blue handle/belt and a gray scabbard. I got the color scheme from a Monarch I saw on SBG forum, and I just had to get mine in the same color. (pic related)

How long ago did you order yours? It's been 8 weeks for me. I should be getting an email from Sonny with in a few weeks now.
>>
>>32887993
Nah bro... There is a massive difference between a $200 Ronin Hanwei and a $3,000 Citadel, even though they are both Chines. And the Citadel is really not far off from a real Japanese made Katana quality wise.
>>
>>32888017
Just around the start of January, so I'll be waiting for a while. At least it gives me time to save up some money for a shotgun, or maybe a bare blade from a Chinese forge like Huawei or St Nihonto to start a project Korean sword
>>
>>32888010
kek
>>
File: Zombie Tools D'Capitan.jpg (28KB, 1200x571px) Image search: [Google]
Zombie Tools D'Capitan.jpg
28KB, 1200x571px
>>32888044
Well you do know technically VA blades are Chines forged, and then every thing else is done in Murica.

Good luck with your project, I am not looking to get another sword for a long time. Just don't have the budget, I was about to break even with my 10 year blade hobby from my sharpening, then I bought the longsword...

I'm thinking my next buy would be a Zombie Tools D'Capitan Saber.
>>
>>32888089
Oh I know, there's plenty of Chinese forges that put out good stuff, especially since they can charge for less due to how little they can pay their employees
You can pick up semi-custom (Valiant Armoury customization essentially) differentially hardened folded steel katana for a steal compared to the European sword market

It's kind of a shame that I'm not a fan of the katana (I bought a ronin dojo pro during their 50% off sale and that's it) or I'd get something, the ito wraps are just uncomfortable to me
>>
>>32888035
>>32888089
Chinesium refers to the metal, not the location it was made in. It's just a catch-all for shitteir potmetal alloys.

I stand by what I said though, if it isn't laminated steel, it's not a proper katana.

Also, people pay you to sharpen? Who the fuck does that?
>>
>>32888217
But monosteel katana did exist, maru construction was a thing, it wasn't a viable means of construction for a long time and by the time it could be done well it was extremely unpopular and possibly illegal. But it did happen
>>
File: IMG_2613 (2).jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2613 (2).jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32888217
Well yeah you can argue a "proper katana" as in historically accurate... Although not all historical Katanas were laminated. In fact that was a later way of doing things. A lot of them were just one piece of folded steel with a differential temper. And you can get both laminated and differential tempered katanas from China, in fact you can get ones made from Tamahagane (iron sand), like they are in Japana... More so, you can buy Mono temper/steel katanas FROM JAPAN now a days.

People who don't have like $1,500 worth of equipment and/or many years of experience, nor do they care to. Most of my customers are Chefs, who only see their knives as tools and not a hobby.

Pic related is my favorite edge I've done. Japanese VG-10 polishes really well.
>>
>>32888267
Yeah, I know, they're total shit that's the point.
>>32888278
^^^^

>People who don't have like $1,500 worth of equipment and/or many years of experience
Try 300 worth of equipment and a couple months. I also actually work with my blades (woodworking), so don't pretend you need more than that to quickly achieve a perfect edge from a practical sense.

I'll admit I have little experience with stainless steel, it's largely pointless for woodworking tools.
>>
File: Hard to sharpen.jpg (631KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Hard to sharpen.jpg
631KB, 2048x1536px
>>32888496
Yeah a working edge is very easy to get, but people who want my services are looking for high mirror polished edges, some of them are Sushi Chefs who need an edge that can slowly slice through free standing phonebook paper.

Stainless, Carbon, High Speed, Tool, ect... steel all sharpen about the same, really it comes down to hardness and some steels tendency to chip out if you use too low of grits or apply too much pressure.

I've only really ever struggled with two knives (after learning that is). My ZT 0770 in CPM-m4 a super steel with astonishing wear resistance, and my Al Mar Eagle in laminated (yes, Japanese Laminated) ZPD-189 at a crazy 64-65hrc. Pic Related.
>>
Does Windlass Steelcrafts make anything worth a damn as far as swords and axes go? Kult of Athena seems to carry a lot of their stuff, but I'm not taking that as a sign of quality since they sell Deepeeka shit too and mark it as "battle ready".
>>
File: IMG_1208.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1208.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32888496
You would probably like these two Anon. Both made in Japan.

The folder is the Laminated Al Mar I mentioned before. The Fixed Blade is a Kanetsune Nishiki which is hand forged out of Damascus Super Blue.

And P.S. In every regard besides edge holding, mono tempers are objectively superior to differential tempers. There is a reason most modern practitioners recommend Mono Temper blades over the later for practice cutting. They are more durable, less likely to take a bend or chip.
>>
>>32888603
Windlass is very hit or miss, but tend to be at lest structurally sound, hence being "battle ready". That is to say they wont fall apart, but may handle like crap and may rattle a bunch.

If you find something you like, look for reviews of it. The YouTube channel "Medieval Review" does a lot of Windlass products.
>>
>>32888650
I'll look it up, thanks.
>>
>>32888603
If you don't want any particular sword from them, their deal of the day is worth following, every now and then some sword goes up for half off and you can get some great deals

Like some people got their type XIV arming sword for around $100
>>
>>32888591
>but people who want my services are looking for high mirror polished edges, some of them are Sushi Chefs who need an edge that can slowly slice through free standing phonebook paper.

You do realize every bladed woodworking instrument is sharpened solely for pushcutting right? There isn't a tool in my shop that can't do that.

>Stainless, Carbon, High Speed, Tool, ect... steel all sharpen about the same,
It's similar, but I was referring to the quality of the steel itself, I have no idea if VG-10 is good or not because I've never used it, or anything similar, because stainless is a waste of time for my purposes.

>>32888630
I carry a higo no kami because they are tiny, laminated, and super cheap.

>>32888630
>In every regard besides edge holding, mono tempers are objectively superior to differential tempers

All my chisels and planes are laminate steel, the edge retention is a huge improvement and you won't damage the blade unless you're an idiot. Cutting tenons in hardwood dulls blades fast, you want edge retention.

>hand forged out of Damascus Super Blue.
Hand forged, wow, so was my higo no kami, and that was twenty bucks
>Damascus
If it looks like shit and it smells like shit, it's probably shit.

Just a bonus feature
https://youtu.be/v3Ad6tBdLbM?t=1m9s
>>
File: IMG_1593.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1593.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32888740
You do realize that there is a difference in regiments between wood working tools and kitchen knives? I would really like to see you prove that your wood working tools can push cut FREE STANDING phone book paper, because I struggle to see how an edge thin enough to do that would hold up to wood work.

>I've never used it, or anything similar, because stainless is a waste of time for my purposes.

But yet you know instantly that with your $300 of equipment and a few months of practice you will be able to get a high end stainless knife up to hair wittling sharpness? More so, it only makes sense I would have more equipment, I'm prepared to sharpen everything from large cleavers to fillet knives, Axes, Machetes, Swords, Straight razors, serrations, ect...

>If it looks like shit and it smells like shit, it's probably shit.

Ummm... You really don't know your steel then.... It's Hitachi super blue.. It is the direct modern successor to the Tamahagane steel used in traditional Katanas. Hitachi bases their White Steel directly from the metallurgical examination of a few antique Katanas, and they made Supper Blue by tweaking it with modern alloys.
>>
File: 20170205_024504.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170205_024504.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Don't be a mall ninja weeaboo.

Buy something with meaning and actual historical value.
Look into ww2 officer's Shin Gunto swords.
You can spend anywhere from $400 to $1000 for the machined ones and $1000 to $3000 for the war time hand forged ones.

In my opinion, the war time Hand forged swords are the best bang for the buck. It's got history, it's hand forged, it's relatively cheap, and it's made in japan.

www.japaneseswordindex.com/military.htm
>>
Anyone here know anything about this weird looking sword?
>>
File: dhar_edited.png (476KB, 959x1334px) Image search: [Google]
dhar_edited.png
476KB, 959x1334px
>>32889209
oops
>>
>>32889213
Fantasy sword
Or a straight razor for a giant
>>
>>32889213
>>32889209
nvm found it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dha_(sword)
>>
>>32885281
>>>/jp/
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.