[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flash hider keeps unscrewing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 4

pic related (that exact thing) keeps getting loose randomly. What do you do to keep yours on?
>>
>>32873185
Locktite, retard.
>>
>>32873238

no. don't use loctite. it loosens at high temps... guess what a gun muzzle has?

get rocksett. it's high temperature stable. loosens via water.
>>
>>32873238
>implying Locktite can withstand that much heat
>>
rocksett or a pin and weld.
>>
>>32873185
I turn the flash hider until it crushes the washer to 20 ft/lbs and then turn it to be timed right

Your crush washer is shit if you're having a problem
Get a new one
>>
>>32873185
I slapped some high temp loctite on and gave it a good twisting with a wrench. Hasn't come loose yet.
>>
>>32873308

This. time for a new crush washer

Either it was shit from the get go, or you need to either tighten it harder, or you've fucked it by tightening it too hard.
>>
>>32873185
The crush washer is supposed to tension it against the threads to prevent it from backing off.
>>
>>32873333
quads of truth
>>
>>32873287
use the blue instead of the red loctite, plebe.
>>
>>32873185
Just in case you don't know, you will need to get a set of vise blocks for your receiver, put your gun in a vise, and crank the flash hider down with a torque wrench. You can't just screw it in free-hand. It needs to be on there super tight. It's possible that the crush washer should be replaced (they are like $1-2 plus shipping), but seems more likely that you just aren't screwing the FH on tight enough.
>>
>>32873333
>2017
>not welding your flashhider in place so you don't lose it on missions
>>
>>32873365

blue has less hold than red you knob.
>>
Pick one
>>
>>32873414
red takes 600 degrees of heat to take off you rube
>>
>>32873394
>and crank the flash hider down with a torque wrench

wrong
You can hold the receiver with your hand enough to install a flash hider
20 ft/lbs is nothing
>>
>>32873185
I have a crush washer I can ship you for cheap
I bought a ton for ultra cheaps

email me
[email protected]
>>
>>32873461
Obviously that is not working for the OP.

>>32873455
No, this is not what you use on an AR-15 barrel.
>>
>>32873461
20 in-lbs is nothing
20 ft-lbs needs a little stank
>>
>>32873238
>>32873287
>>32873301
>>32873316
>>32873365
>>32873414
>>32873455
>>32873457
>>32873461
t. Bubba

OP use peel washers so it looks like shiny a dick ring on your barrel.
>>
>>32873287
>>32873292
> Not knowing about high temp locktite.
>>
>>32873470
obviously he didn't use a torque wrench

>>32873482
peel washers are great if you want to do it 100 times
Basic brakes can use crush washers just fine
>>
>>32873238
Really nigga?
Shit says right on the container that you apply heat to remove.
>>
>>32873506
>obviously he didn't use a torque wrench
Obviously you are not using your brain at this point. The torque wrench only stops the user from over-tightening. The OP's problem is he can't get it tight enough. A torque wrench isn't going to make it easier to get the FH on there tighter.
>>
>>32873534
>The torque wrench only stops the user from over-tightening

it also allows you to know when 20 lbs is so you don't over tighten and overcrush the crush washer, dumbass
>>
>>32873546
I guarantee you that OP isn't "overcrushing" the crush washer by free-hand tightening it using only his off-hand to stabilize the receiver.
>>
>>32873534
>>32873546
Wtf? Who uses a torque wrench for the FH? Just use a flat wrench, stick a scredriver through the holes, etc. OP needs help torquing it properly.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zUKbbwrzKoQ
Follow those steps. If you can't, then jump off a bridge.
>>
>>32873602
>stick a scredriver through the holes
confirmed retard
>>
>>32873565
where did OP say he was tightening it by hand

>>32873602
the people who have a torque wrench in their toolbox because they put their barrel nut on
>>
>>32873633
>where did OP say he was tightening it by hand
Where did he say or imply that he knew what he was doing?
>>
>>32873602
>Wtf? Who uses a torque wrench for the FH?
People aren't fucking retarded and at least try to do things the right way.
>>
>>32873606
???
>Exposing yourself as the retard.
Put the screwdriver in the FH cuts, and torque.
>>32873633
You can, but that's not how "torque" works or is measured. Plus, it's completely unnecessary. Here's how it's done simply and properly: put on some aeroshell for easy removal and proper "twerking," then use a wrench that fits on the flat cuts. Twist quarter turns, then back off, repeat until last quarter turn before alignment, finish turn.
>>
>>32873674
>You can, but that's not how "torque" works or is measured.
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>32873682
Because this "torque" is different from car "torque." In screws, it's frictional torque, so how hard or "ft/lbs" you twist is completely arbitrary unless you know the materials you are torquing together. Whether it's dry or wet will also change it's values. The only reason the torque wrench works on the AR is that it's designed with a huge range, like 35-80 ft/lb on the barrelnut so you can get away with a lot. When you add Aeroshell like the military, then it changes the values even more.

Anyway, the FH doesn't need "20 ft/lb" to stay on. And it's difficult to measure that accurately without calculations.
>>
>>32873775
Jesus Christ, you are a moron. Torque is torque and all of the other shit you talk about is figured out by the engineer. I'm surprised you didn't whine that measuring torque doesn't actually mean much for a fastener without realizing why it is used.
>>
>>32873799
You're right I'm out of my realm. I'm just going off what I remember from a Geissele video where he explain torque for his rails. Which part did I get wrong?
>>
the real question is if you tourqe the barrel nut with the tourqe wrench straight or at a 90* angle
>>
>>32873927
It doesn't matter.
>>
>>32873927
We are all waiting for CNC machine operato- I mean /k/ physicist >>32873799
to enlighten us.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench
>A torque wrench measures torque as a proxy for bolt tension. The technique suffers from inaccuracy due to inconsistent or uncalibrated friction between the fastener and its mating hole.
Really made me think senpai.
>>
>>32874040
What do you think this means?
>>
>>32873185
gentle hammer work will do

1 hit
>>
>>32874048
It means torque wrenches aren't accurate, and all these fags ITT circlejerking about using torque wrenches to "do things properly" let the irony go over their heads.
>>
>>32874065
They're not as accurate as actually measuring tension, but it's far more accurate than just doing it without measuring at all. You're the type of moron who uses an impact wrench to put on wheel nuts, aren't you?
>>
>>32873674
>You can, but that's not how "torque" works or is measured.

torque is measured by weight over distance
hence ft/lbs

backing off a crush washer is how you fuck the crush washer and it never holds your FH on

You're the idiot who thinks you need to "season" barrel threads, aren't you?
>>
>>32873775
>In screws, it's frictional torque, so how hard or "ft/lbs" you twist is completely arbitrary unless you know the materials you are torquing together

you're fucking retarded
>>
>>32874077
I said
>"The only reason the torque wrench works on the AR is that it's designed with a huge range, like 35-80 ft/lb on the barrelnut so you can get away with a lot."
Stoner made it so retards can put it together.
>>32874085
A quarter turn is enough torque. Too much pressure will affect accuracy.
>everyone seasons threads
>engineers say season threads
>armorers say season threads
>Geissele seasons threads
>Gordon Ramsay seasons threads
>You know better and everyone is retarded.
Nice. I hope you do okay in life.
>>32874088
Explain how I am? I actually want to know where I got it wrong.
>>
>>32873457
>red takes 600 degrees of heat to take off you rube

That's rare. I've used red for ~35 years on a very wide variety of fasteners including funparts and, even weaker than funparts, many small motorcycle fasteners.

>Shit says right on the container that you apply heat to remove.

That's if it doesn't come off conventionally. I've done thousands of fasteners and the only one I had to heat was the compensator nut on one of my Harleys, but I didn't mind because I want that fucker not to move.

Applying heat is not mandatory. I've never lost hardware to using red, and I don't even bother to buy blue. I just use less red. You can buy high temp versions but I've not needed those.
>>
>>32874145
you aren't putting anywhere near enough torque on a threaded part of the AR to EVER need to season threads

Engineers can say what they want but I bet the only things in the fucking world that have been assembled with their threads seasoned are space shuttle parts

No one seasons threads on cars
No one seasons threads on guns
No one seasons threads on anything

>Too much pressure will affect accuracy.

20 pounds won't

A loose FH will effect accuracy more than a tight one will

>I actually want to know where I got it wrong.

Because the only difference between a wet fit and dry fit is the fact that the dry fit can slip and settle and end up with a lower torque value

>>32874156
did you 100% fill all of the threads like it says on the bottle or only put it on a small section?

Because as a diesel mechanic who puts 1 inch bolts 4 inches long on with full red loctite, you need fucking heat
>>
>>32873927
If you are using a torque adapter which extends the length of a torque wrench, the smart way is to use the adapter at a 90-degree angle to the wrench. Otherwise you get to do some math.

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx
>>
crush washer, tighten it nice and hard, should stay
>>
>>32874040
Which is why torques are typically specified as RANGES.
>>
>>32874211
if you over torque it, it won't line up and then it will be crushed and won't spring back
>>
>>32873674
>uses screwdriver as a wrench
>isn't retarded
>>
>>32874235
I'm betting he uses ratchets as hammers, too
>>
>>32874188
>did you 100% fill all of the threads like it says on the bottle or only put it on a small section?

I put it variably on based on lots of experience but for anything 3/8" or greater I hit every engaged thread.

1" x 4" thread depth bolts = pretty damn deep! I'd break out the small rosebud torch head for those.
>>
>>32874271
some bolts on these piece of shit Macks are moody cunts
>>
>>32874188
>torque wrench is already inaccurate
>don't season barrelnut to help get a better reading?

I know 20 is spec but my argument is that how do you know you did 20, with all of those variables torqueing fasteners? Over tight one puts tension on the crown and will fuck with accuracy. A FH has enough clearance for the bullet that even if it's loose, it won't affect trajectory. Look how large your A2 hole is compared to your muzzle.

>wet vs dry, or different materials
I know about wet vs dry. What I want ti know is whether steel and aluminum have the same friction. The reason we use aeroshell is to take away that variable right? I don't know but it seems to me that if I screw a metal fastener into polymer, my "torque" values would be thrown off. This is besides ARs because they don't need to be this precise. Just talking theoretically.
>>
>>32874235
Nigger people ITT were suggesting using bare hands and pillows. Do you really think using a sacrificial metal stick for a jerry rigged torqueing device is going overboard to trigger your autism?
>>
>>32874300
>but my argument is that how do you know you did 20

you don't need to
you get it to the point of 20 lbs then keep going until it lines up

and no, a FH should never touch the crown
They always have clearance or you wouldn't be able to torque it down against the shoulder/washer

the only time you need to season an object if it's extremely soft like plastic

Steel and aluminum besides garbage casting aluminum do not ever need seasoning
>>
>>32874145
>engineers say season threads
I've literally never heard of this concept and the only place I can find reference to it is on ARFCOM, so.
>>
>>32873818

all of it.
>>
>>32873185
Orange paint.
>>
>>32873333
>>32873308
THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

That's exactly what I did and guess what, no bs glues or pastes or thread lockers and it's still on there.
>>
>>32874347
Should I disregard military armorer's manual? Do I need even aeroshell? My Colt came dry from the factory. Does it hurt to season it 3 times, do 20 jumping jacks and say 7 hail Mary's, or can I do it though it's not needed? Really made me think.
>>32874375
Geissele said so. He's an engineer. I trust G man. What are your qualifications? If not where is the soirce of your info?
>>32874392
K thx. Real helpful.
>>
>>32874445
>Should I disregard military armorer's manual?

if it says anything other than the standard assembly procedure I outlined above, yes.

>Do I need even aeroshell?

No since fucking no one uses it but you

>My Colt came dry from the factory. Does it hurt to season it 3 times

No, but why waste your fucking time since I almost guarantee the torque is 40-50 ft/lbs since that's what it usually takes to line it up

>Geissele said so

Oh my a nobody engineer non gunsmith who's never done a day of mechanical work
>>
OP here.

Jesus F Christ, I walk away for a second and you children start a flame war over a trivial issue???

To address some of things mentioned herein:

- This specific flash hider is directional, you can only turn it to specific angles, if you miss it, you'll have to go another 360° to hold it right
- Hence, it's not an issue of "not tightening it enough"
- *the* washer is out of the box - yes, it's possible that it was bad to begin with - but it's not a crush washer, but a spring cone washer (see the picture). How many washers are there usually? I just had one, and it came loose after about two hundred rounds through
- dumbasses, don't use loctite for this, it's not intended for this application - not blue, not red, not any

>>32873287
This anon gets it right. Says right fucking there - "Intended for use on threads an cylindrical assemblies (flash hiders & muzzle brakes)". That's all you need to know.

Thank you, anon, case closed.
>>
>>32874445
>Should I disregard military armorer's manual?
Absolutely.
>Geissele said so. He's an engineer. I trust G man. What are your qualifications? If not where is the soirce of your info?
I'm also an engineer. Maybe he misspoke, maybe it's a colloquialism he likes to use, I don't know. Cleaning threads seems to be what it's about and you should do this. How it's done doesn't matter and installing and removing a fastener a bunch of times is a ton of work compared to using a brush like a normal human being.
>>
File: duk.jpg (31KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
duk.jpg
31KB, 380x380px
>>32873185
>>
>>32874468
What do you do?

I'm going to keep using aeroshell because it make barrelnuts easy to remove and prevents galling.
Naw, gonna trust Geissele more than some anon on /k/.
>>
>>32874492
that's a fucking crush washer you dipshit
it's what everyone calls it

torque it to 20 ft/lbs then turn it to upright
>>
>>32874297
I've seen what truckers do to the rest of the truck and trailers. My dieselmechbro uses his cutting torch almost as much as the scrapyard down the road. Suspension and brake work doesn't get done until major parts start falling off...

Torque multipliers are pretty cool. I used them on jet engines and they give no fucks about tight hardware.
>>
>>32874532
I'm a diesel mechanic

I deal with galling, rusting, and corroding parts 1000 times more often than you do

On a barrel nut, add extra dielectric grease to the extension and that little bit that squeezes out will fill the barrel nut threads

I've built a fuck ton more ARs than you have because I'm also a gunsmith on the side
>>
>>32874551
>Suspension and brake work doesn't get done until major parts start falling off...

yup
I work/worked as the shop guy so we kept things running so it didn't do that, but myself and the new mechanic I worked under showed up to this place after 10 years of nearly no mechanic work on the trucks

Truckers don't spend time on trucks until it breaks
>>
>>32874512
Is there any harm in doing the extra steps? Any adverse effects to seasoning threads other than costing an extra 15 seconds of my life once in a blue moon I build an AR? Or is it too inelegant and unnecessary for you as an engineer so you abhor it out of principal?
>>
>>32873606
Is that not how sex works?
>>
>>32874375
>I've literally never heard of this concept and the only place I can find reference to it is on ARFCOM, so.

Must be their thing then. I've not heard of it in decades of wrenching and machining.

I disregard a lot of what "gun people" say about threaded fasteners unless they are machinists and REFERENCE their statements. There is abundant engineering literature on every aspect of threading.
>>
>>32874575
there's no harm in locking and unlocking your doors 3 times before stepping out, but it's a mental disorder
>>
>>32874575
>Is there any harm in doing the extra steps?
What extra steps? Putting on your muzzle device a bunch of times to clear the threads of debris that probably isn't on there to begin with? If you don't consider wasting time to be harmful, then no.
>Or is it too inelegant and unnecessary for you as an engineer so you abhor it out of principal?
I said I had never heard of it. Are you a politician or is twisting words just a hobby for you?
>>
>>32874554
K. So can I keep my methods since they do no harm other than use up a few seconds more? I don't build at volume so I don't need to shave time.
>>32874593
It's not just Afcom. To claim this is possibly being ignorant or dishonest. Every text or youtube instruction I've come across has mentioned seasoning the barrel nut. I don't know about other mechanical things, engineering, or physics. It seems like some of you guys should go out a dispell these types of myths and advocate better methods if you believe yours are.
>>
>>32874647
keep being an OCD fuck, but stop telling others to be OCD
>>
>>32874657
How am I OCD? I literally just follow instructions off youtube. Maybe you should make a rant video and prove how wrong the others are. I'd like to see experts fight it out. I'm no expert so I just do as I'm told. So far I've only explained what I've been told, and ask questions.
>>
>>32874698
>How am I OCD?

doing the same thing over and over unnecessarily to satisfy an ingrained feeling
>>
>>32874630
Only meant that sometimes engineers are purists, and they might object to alternative and viable solutions that they deem inelegant due to poor or over design.
>>
>>32874705
I was told to do it this way. I did it and it works. Seems like you're just as "OCD" by insisting on your method. Maybe I'll try yours one day, but right now I have little motivation to deviate since it costs me a negligible amount of "extra effort."
>>
>>32874733
>I was told to do it this way.

by fucking idiots on youtube

Go look up ElectroBOOM
He's got some good ideas on how to do stuff too
>>
>>32874749
Why so triggered m8? The military uses the same method. If it's all crock of shit, then quite a lot of people are in the same boat. Some people like grease, some people like gun oil, 9mm vs .45? This debate can go on forever.
>>
>>32874788
>The military uses the same method.

they also have white glove tests
>>
>>32874413
Heheheheh
>>
>>32874809
They also use their rifles to fight wars in real environments. Which one are you, Vin Diesel mechanic or the Engineer? Sure your methods work and might even be better, but I'm going to stick with what's proven since it doesn't cost too much. If you truly think your method is better, then write a white paper for it. Maybe you can even sell it to the military for $$$. Just tone down the asperger's rage a little.
>>
File: conversationover.gif (991KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
conversationover.gif
991KB, 500x343px
>>32874885
>They also use their rifles to fight wars in real environments

Okay I'm done
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32874898
Lel.
>aerogrease can't melt steel memes
>>
New crush washer and dont put it on backwards this time.
>>
>>32873185
Get a new crush washer. Look up what they are and do.
>>
>>32874544
>fucking crush washer you dipshit
crush washer is TTY, you dipshit. It doesn't spring.

>torque it to 20 ft/lbs
It has to go upright no matter what the torque is, dipshit. One turn less than needed - and it's just loose and jiggles. Fifteen degrees more than needed - and it hits the hard limit, but it's already fifteen degrees off.
>>
>>32875899
I bet I can find 150 links to AR15 crush washers in under 10 minutes regardless if it's an actual crush washer or not
>>
>>32875899
>It has to go upright no matter what the torque is, dipshit. One turn less than needed - and it's just loose and jiggles. Fifteen degrees more than needed - and it hits the hard limit, but it's already fifteen degrees off.

You can turn the entire thing almost 1.5 turns past that 20 pound starting point though
>>
>>32875907
Yeah, looks like you have a point. I guess this is the case where common redneckness wins over technical correctness - the manufacturers and sellers just gave up explaining the fucking thing.

Thanks for the tip, anon, that was counter-intuitive for someone having worked with non-AR15 crush washers for the last couple of decades.
>>
>>32875915
Torque then back it off a quarter turn at a time. Finish with last quarter till upright. Tada! Don't listen to the torque wrench retards ITT.
>>
>>32875962
you should never back off a crush washer
that's how you don't get enough torque on it
>>
>>32875975
Nigger pls. 1/4 turn is enough torque. Go try it. Crush washers are cheap. If you want to over torque then go 1/2 turn. Or full turn if fully autismo.
>>
>>32875996
or just torque to 20, then keep turning until it lines up

If you don't have a torque wrench, then you're a poorfag who can't afford harbor freight shit and didn't build your own gun so you should kill yourself
>>
>>32876008
>using a torque wrench for FH
Lmao. Do you use it for torque to spec dildos up your ass too?
>>
>>32876031
I take the armorers wrench that is already on my bench
I then take the torque wrench that is also on my bench
I then torque to 20, then push until it lines up

Today, almost like I don't enjoy buying extra crush washers
>>
>>32876042
tada

Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>32876042
It's almost like there are more than 1 way to do things. Autist.
>>
>>32876081
your way is poop
>>
>>32876081
1 way is the right way.
>>
>>32876088
>>32876122
Thanks. It works and I can use any tool.
>>
>>32873185
I screw on mine hand tight and use rocksett, never had a problem.
>>
>>32876136
remember you are poop
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.