[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Debate against gun control

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: mount stupid.jpg (20KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
mount stupid.jpg
20KB, 600x338px
Hi /k/omrades, I come to you in my time of need. My friend and I are in the army. He is extremely liberal and we got into a discussion about firearms and gun control. He argues that its safer to have no guns and that owning firearms leads to more crime, violence, and murder.

I need you to hit me with your best stats, facts, and (bipartisan) studies to win this.

Some of his main arguments involve:
> Australia post gun ban
> South Korea and Japan
> England and the EU (kek) in general
> US statistics

and just to put some icing on the cake of butthurt, he said, and I quote:
> If the government banned all guns I'd be happy to hand them over. It would be a great idea! I wouldnt even care if they didnt pay me back for it!
>>
>>32866781
>> If the government banned all guns I'd be happy to hand them over

Does he actually have any guns to hand over?

Or is he just saying that he'd be happy for other people to have their property taken away because he doesn't have to deal with any of the consequences?

Also point him to countries that have major gang and drug problems like the US, namely gun-free utopias such as Mexico and Brazil, as well as the surely war-torn and totally chaotic Switzerland.
>>
The lefty pro-gun angles are your best bet against someone vehemently anti.

>Marx/Soc/Com quotes insisting workers ought to be armed
>Racist mil/pol/gov have a monopoly on violence in nogunz states
>Guns are an equalizer for women, elderly, disabled
>>
>>32866781
Compare the stats of Canada to CA.

CA is in America, but has stricter gun laws than Canada. This should show you what a strict gun control America would look like.

Protip: It's not the crime-free paradise liberals would predict.
>>
>>32866815
I don't think he personally has guns but his family owns them and he shot/shoots extensively.

regarding drug and crime issues, I brought it up (namely the US and Mexico), but his argument was that the violent crime rate would still be lower if there were no guns

I really just need reliable statistics to prove my arguments

>>32866837
quoting leftist people and citing tyrannical governments would help, but I doubt anything less than hard cold statistics/studies are going to dissuade him
>>
>>32866781
>“Self-defense can be an important crime deterrent,”says a new report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The $10 million study was commissioned by President Barack Obama as part of 23 executive orders he signed in January.

>“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies,” the CDC study, entitled “Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” states.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent
>>
>>32866874
Show American cities/states with strict gun control vs ones without it.
>>
>>32866906
he argues that burglaries/robberies go up in counties that have higher gun ownership rates

I argued that there are a lot of other factors that go into those statistics and that correlation doesn't equal causation, but I dont have statistics to back me up here.
>>
>>32866888
More of stuff like this
>>
>>32866781

I have an entire playlist I compiled specifically for a research paper I did on this.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-U6nhiF3vXeNkB3XThjBhV8uXVHPef9n
>>
>>32866874
>but his argument was that the violent crime rate would still be lower if there were no guns

violent crime would also be lower if there were no mexicans or blacks. is he a racist/sexist/misogynistic xenophobe?
>>
>>32866923
>he argues that burglaries/robberies go up in counties that have higher gun ownership rates

Ask him to cite that.
>>
>>32866956
the discussion was a spur of the moment thing, neither of us had any citations on hand

give me something I can use against that point
>>
>>32866940
can't use any sexist/racist/xenophobic arguments

give me something about low income/ poor education/ gang violence/ illegal procurement of weapons and I can use that
>>
>>32866965
>give me something I can use against that point

The actual statistics
>>
>bump
>>
>>32866781

You should just punch your friend in the dick.
>>
A surprisingly informative /k/ thread. I'm proud of you guys.
>>
>>32866781
Look up some cdc and fbi case studies about guns. They reveal for that they do WAY more good than harm.
>>
File: 1363767553276.png (85KB, 506x558px) Image search: [Google]
1363767553276.png
85KB, 506x558px
>>32866781
I guess infographics are getting posted less often, you should have accumulated a small mountain by now.
>>
File: 1379784252492.jpg (289KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1379784252492.jpg
289KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>32866781
>>32866781
Japan and Australia are islands, they can easily control their guns. We can't, due to our messy neighbors. Japan and Korea are also ethnically homogenous, so they have less crime. The US's statistics are skewed by inner city gang related crime. Take out the big cities and the US looks more like Europe.

As to your arguments, my emphasis with this is always that humans have a right to effective self defense. Most self defense weapons are "force amplifiers", which depend on the physical ability of the user, and so are useless to my 80 year old grandma if she's being mugged by an NFL linebacker. Pepper spray and tazers are deterrents, and are prone to failure. Is my mema not entitled to protect her life? The most important part of a right to self defense is that it applies regardless of who'se attacking you
>>
File: 1367105026766.png (46KB, 900x629px) Image search: [Google]
1367105026766.png
46KB, 900x629px
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.