[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to buy Remington 870 over a Mossberg 500?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

Is there any reason to buy Remington 870 over a Mossberg 500? I wanted to purchase a shotgun for home defense, and pretty much all available information points to the 500 being cheaper, lighter, more functional, and overall better than the 870.
>>
In the end it comes down to personal preference.
>>
>>32863872
>freedom group
870 fags are either old as fuck or nostalgia fags
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (47KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
47KB, 960x960px
>>32863872
>using a shotgun for home defense
>>
HK FP6s are very nice. I prefer a Mossberg 500 though.
>>
Ever used a Saiga 12? Those Russians are crazy fuckers!
>>
>>32863872

older 870s from the 70s-early 80s are great. Incredibly sturdy and can be had for $400-$600 around me..

I just dont like the mossys because to me (i almost exclusively shoot shotguns) they feel cheap and prone to failure. Ive seen several fail to feed when the elevator would just drop the shell from the loading port when you pump it.

new 870 receivers and fit/finish is just subpar especially compared to older ones
>>
File: IMG_4991.jpg (235KB, 972x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4991.jpg
235KB, 972x648px
why would you ever buy a new manufactured shotgun when there are so many perfectly good used guns from back when manufacturers employed actual craftsman who gave a damn about the quality of their work? I'd take my $200 92 year old Remmy model 11 over a new 870 any day.
also I've had to repair my friends mossberg 500 twice now because of that stupid blind pin holding the forend on is a stupid design and keeps shearing off
>>
>>32863955

>remove home invader
>cops come
>take gun as part of investigation
>never get it back

Would you rather lose, a $1,000 AR or used mossy for $195?
>>
>>32864001
this.

i have an 80s Browning BPS, a belgian made Browning B2000, and an old 870 among others
>>
File: IMG_4270-2.jpg (460KB, 2682x927px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4270-2.jpg
460KB, 2682x927px
Another one the OP might not be aware of is the Winchester model 1200 and it's many clones (this one is a sears model 200)
used examples are around, generally pretty cheap and there's a surprising amount of aftermarket bullshit available if you want to go all mall ninja on it. I just threw this thing together for a total of $138 just so I'd have something halfway passable for a 3-gun match.
>>
File: shotgun-peel-1.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun-peel-1.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
>>32863988
Fucking garbage. I'd rather have a Mossberg 930, oh wait, that's what I got.

My friend has a Saiga 12 and it will only shoot high brass. Fuck that.

>>32864001
>not having a cold hammer forged barrel
>mfw
Crapsmanshit has nothing to do with metallurgy.
>>
>>32864170
and metallurgy has little to do with anything so long as you keep firing stresses below 60% of yield stresses so that there is no meaningful fatigue to deal with. This is particularly easy with shotguns due to the very low pressures involved. Generally any serious metallurgical failings would be revealed during proof testing, and after that everything should be good for several lifetimes of use, provided the shooter doesn't do something stupid like create a barrel obstruction as was undoubtedly the case in the picture you posted.
>>
>>32863872
870 doesn't have a tang saftey, and is therefor always the worst option.
>>
>>32864235
Remington has a whole rack of old shotguns in the Ilion facility from law suits over banana peel barrels in old shotguns. I've seen them, I worked there.

Just because a gun is old that doesn't mean it's better.

Remington is shit and has been shit a lot longer than people want to admit.
>>
>>32864001
Can your 92 year old shotgun shoot anything besides lead shot 2 3/4" shells?
>>
File: Untitled.png (71KB, 1350x728px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
71KB, 1350x728px
soon my sweet,soon.
>>
File: EDIT-3270.jpg (200KB, 507x1155px) Image search: [Google]
EDIT-3270.jpg
200KB, 507x1155px
>>32864342
meh, 2 3/4" lead is what I run in all my guns anyway. well, except the sjogren, but that's speshul-snowflake hipster-tier and doesn't count.

you want to run long shells, you'll need to look elsewhere.
>>
>nue steel shotguns.

>wanting a shotgun made from Chinese steel.
>>
>>32863872
>Is there any reason to buy Remington 870 over a Mossberg 500?
Preference
>cheaper
Yes
>lighter
Yes
>more functional
Subjective, and not really
>overall better than the 870
IMO the 500 has better controls, a well built 870 is tighter with better materials.

Mossman 500 owner here btw
>>
>>32864315
I wonder how many were the result of firing slugs through full-choked guns (fun fact, older "full" chokes were significantly tighter then modern ones because the nylon wad hadn't been developed yet and shot spreads were not as well controlled), also with literal millions of guns sold over a century, I would be pretty shocked if there wasn't a pile of broken ones lying around.
>>
Piggybacking on this thread.

I want to put shotgun ghost ring sights on my KSG.

Rear sight is easy enough, but there is not front sight post that mounts to pica picatinny rails. So how do I get an appropriate front sight post onto my ksg?
>>
>>32864010
Suppressed SBR.
>remove home invader
>bury home invader
>>
File: ugb25xcel_zoom006.jpg (58KB, 785x600px) Image search: [Google]
ugb25xcel_zoom006.jpg
58KB, 785x600px
Reposting here since the other shotgun thread died and I wanted to get a little more feedback.

Trying to decide on a purchase:

>Have opportunity to buy a Beretta UGB25 for $1,649
>They're weird but I love them, even more so after seeing one IRL
>It comes with nothing, no chokes (not even installed), and no original hard case/tools, just the gun
>Metal/action is good
>Visible long scratch on underside of the butt stock, listing said no visible scratches on the wood
>Decent hard case and chokes will cost additional $400
>In very good condition with all parts, these go for $3k, but rarely go up for sale
>Was already in the market for a new semiauto clay gun, $1500-2k
>If anyone has experience with the UGB25, I would love your input especially. I've never seen them posted or talked about on /k/.

I am going to try to talk them down further on the price, on account of having to buy chokes to even be able to shoot it, and that the wood has scratches that weren't in the listing and definitely weren't in the original photos. Cabela's has had the gun since Nov 2015, so it's possible it was damaged in store.

On a side note, does anyone have experience negotiating with Cabela's? The associate was able to take it down $50, but said only his manager could do more. I think I may have accidentally seen the price they originally paid for the gun, $1,150. Knowing what margin they're required to stay above would help me figure out how low they can actually go.

I was going to see if they could cut a deal on chokes if they couldn't move the price on the gun, but they don't even carry the chokes for it (OptimaChoke HP) in store.
>>
I just feel like the fit and finish of the 870 is better than the 500. I own both, and shoot my 870 way more often.
>>
>>32864693
Just put a fucking dot on it redditor scum
>>
>>32864717
Too much work
>Tranquilizer gun
>Darkweb
>Keen assessment on wether the individual is worth more alive as a slave or chopped up for body parts
>???
>Profit
>>
870 is nicer. 500s always seem so shitty.
>but muh tang safety!
Sorry. The safety really isn't all that important since you will most likely be storing the gun cruiser ready. If you really want to compare, an 870 with extended safety is faster than a tang safety. You literally can't put your finger on the trigger without switching it off.

The major issue with Mossberg is the gun can get locked up if the pin in the back of the receiver gets jarred from dropping the gun. The design has a fatal flaw and everyone sticks their head in the sand over it because it costs less than the 870.
>>
>>32865216
That's because even though Remington sucks, Mossberg sucks worse.
>>
>>32863872
Another one falls for the
>shotgun for home defense
Meme. I would use my beretta over a shotgun any day in the event of a break in. It's more maneuverable, it has better capacity, less penetration depending on what I load it with and the recoil is way more manageable.
>>
>>32865282

I got my 870 Police Magnum for $250
>>
>>32865230
calling someone a redditor, only identifies you as a redditor
>>
>>32865282
Ding ding ding

870 all the way (as long as it's an old one)
>>
File: 1429258670460.jpg (136KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1429258670460.jpg
136KB, 600x600px
>>32863872

Remington if pre-2007, or post-2007 Wingmaster/Police.

Otherwise, Mossberg with preference to the 590 for clean-out mag tube.
>>
>>32864315

Remington started going to shit in 1993 when DuPont sold it to CD&R which was an investment company too. I've had 870s from every single decade, and the Dupont 870s are the best made.

Compare an 870 from Dupont to CD&R to Freedom Group. Its like going from Peter Luger's to Ruth's Chris to Golden Corral for steak.
>>
>>32864575

870fag

870 is built better, but Mossberg is much easier to work on since no brazing/staking/rivets on critical parts.... except that freaking Mossberg trigger group.
>>
>>32864972

No chokes at all, and no available chokes locally?

I would nearly bet the choke threads are fucked. Carry a choke to test before you buy. Also, you can't haggle with Cabela's that much, but I would expect at least $150 off.
>>
>>32865282

>The major, fatal flaw with the Mossberg

Literally a non issue. I've never even heard of that happening to anyone; talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, especially if you're talking about an HD gun.

870's are great guns but I don't think one is really better than the other. I can tell you, I definitely the appreciate the light weight and tang safety when I'm hunting grouse.
>>
Anyone have a opinion regarding the Winchester 1200/1300?
>>
>>32863872
For HD, lighter is a bad thing. Lighter means more felt recoil and more muzzle climb.

That being said, a 500 will be better built (or at least have better QC) than an 870 Express. QC on recent production Express's is dogshit. And the 500 will hold 1 more shell than an 870 of the same barrel length.

>>32863916
Wingmaster and Police lines are fine. Pre-Freedom Group 870's are widely available on the used market.
>>
>>32864575
I really really dislike the placement of the slide release on the Mossberg shotguns. Too easy to accidentally depress. Not a big deal if you're shooting skeet or ducks but when your life depends on it you don't want your gun magically out of battery because you chicken-choked it out of stress.

Safety is in a good spot for traditional wingshooting stocks but is total ass for pistol grips. Definitely a good choice for the wrong-handers of the world though.
>this also applies to the BPS
>>
>>32867302
Good but expensive compared to equally good options. Plenty of cheap chink and turk clones of them though.
>Stevens 320 is mechanically a 1300
>>
>>32867306
To expound on this.
>mossberg 500's aluminum receiver
They wear out. Probably a nonissue for an HD gun, but my range has them as rental/loaner guns and we wear one out about every 3 years. They die at around the 12,000 round mark.

Meanwhile our Beretta A300's have been going strong since we bought them in the late 80's. Most of them are pushing a quarter million rounds with no visible internal wear. And they're also aluminum receivers.
>>
>870s are built better
Which one of you chucklefucks started this meme? It's hilarious.
>>
>>32866264
>No chokes at all, and no available chokes locally?
Correct, and haven't been able to find them anywhere. I can order online direct from Beretta but I was going to wait until after I bought the gun to do that.

>I would nearly bet the choke threads are fucked.
I somehow didn't even think about this. They were able to find an unlabeled CYL choke that fit, and another Beretta choke did screw in OK, but didn't seat because it was a regular Optima choke and not an Optima HP. If the other chokes are screwing in OK, do you think that means the threads are fine?
>>
>>32866264
>>32867916
Actually since the A400 uses the same choke and they sell them there, I'm going to make them take one out of a new gun and seat it in the UGB25 to determine if the threads are good or not.
>>
File: 1469245511371.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
1469245511371.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
When it comes to pump-actions, are the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 the definitive models, or are they just the poorfag versions?

I've been browsing about for a while and I never see anyone mention anything else, so I figure they're the ones to consider....
>>
>>32869217
personally, i wouldnt classify them as 'definitive', but i consider those guns to be the reference standard...general functionality, low price, huge aftermarket, etc. etc....

imo, one reason we see the 870 & 500/590/590a1 so often is, there isnt a particulary large selection of pump-guns which are assembled, from the factory, for tactical use.. (the browning bps, maybe)
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.