[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can being fully loaded hurt a magazine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

I have this argument with my dad all the time. I mean I can see the potential of having all 30 rounds in a magazine wear the spring out over time and ruining the mag but at the same time I have heard plenty of people say that does not matter at all.

So /k/, does keeping your magazine fully loaded damage the spring in the long term or not? Should you keep your magazines only semi-loaded long term? Or is magazine rotation the answer?
>>
>>32858735
Compression and contraction repeatedly is what ruins springs, not staying compressed.

Many such cases.
>>
>>32858735
Yes, one time somebody in my squad fully loaded a mag and it took out half the platoon when it exploded from spring overpressure.
>>
No(body really knows), and it's really not that important.

What's going to wear the spring out more quickly is use.

So in theory loading a magazine to full, and then unloading it, might deteriorate the spring more than just leaving it fully loaded.
>>
>>32858735
I'm told it should be fine, but I still store my valuable mags unloaded (for instance, my original P38 mag. The P1 mags are loaded). Better to play it safe than risk uneccesary wear on an irreplaceable part. There are definitely cases where it can be an issue, anyway. PMAG's don't like being stored loaded because the feed lips will bend. That's why Magpul sells them with that little dust cover tab. It relieves the pressure on the feed lips by pushing the top round down.
>>
>>32858735
Both you and your dad are fudds for not understanding that metal has a memory that it will always return to.

The only thing that will damage the spring is use over time or you bending the the spring like a jackass.
>>
>>32858735
springs wear from use not compression
springs are cheap tell your dad to stop being a poorfag
>>
>>32858756
Thank you for your cervix and sorry for your losses. Together we can spread awareness of this type of tragedy and hopefully prevent it from happening again.
>>
File: UAFSE.jpg (52KB, 787x830px) Image search: [Google]
UAFSE.jpg
52KB, 787x830px
>>32858735
Fucking google it, seriously. This has been discussed to death on various gun forums in the past and you'll get a lot more detailed information there than you'll get on /k/.
>>
>>32858854
I have and it is usually a series of 50% yes and 50% no and articles saying "Yes and no... its complicated."

I just don't know.
>>
This is some seriously retarded shit.

I bet you went to school, right OP? For at least 12 years?

And your dumb ass still doesnt understand one of the most important and learned about man made objects that the world has ever seen.

Fucking springs, how do they work? Miracles!
>>
>>32858735
Your dad wasn't in Nam was he?
>>
>>32858735
Using a spring repeatedly is what wears it out.

I once discovered a fully loaded 1911 mag from 1911, and not only did it feed flawlessly, but it also gave me a blowjob at the end.
>>
Unless it's a really, really shitty magazine, I doubt the number of loading cycles would ever cause fatigue failure. And that's even assuming the spring wasn't designed to remain in the infinite life region of the SN graph for a particular material.
>>
>>32858735
No.

There IS a point beyond which if the spring were compressed or extended it would be damaged or not return, but your magazine should be well within those tolerances. That's why there's extra space in the bottom of the box.
>>
You guys are class "A" retatded. Why do you have to set a torque wrench back to zero when done? Spring settling. Keeping a spring under load moves it's at rest position.
>>
metal crystallizes and becomes brittle with repeated stress and friction. compressing spring steel does not accelerate the process.

springs can lose strength if they are compressed and then heated; heating the metal causes the bonds in the material to soften, and then when cooled, maintain the new alignment.
>>
>>32859206
the retard is you. what about the springs on your car? they're compressed all the time, no? do they wear out? of course not you teenage dumbass.
>>
>>32858735
>Many such cases.

i keked
>>
>>32858854
But I wanna discuss it to death on a Bavarian noodle spinning board
>>
>>32858735
yes, shitty quality mags can be ruined that way but there is no reason properly dimensioned mag springs, housed in properly dimensioned mag bodies, made of properly heat treated spring steel would have to suffer any ill effects. repeated flexing cycles hurt mag springs.
>>
>>32859206
To insure you're setting proper torque each time.

Otherwise you'd just have it set lazily at whatever you last used, and might think it's close enough.

Or atleast that's why we do it at our Lube & Tire shop
>>
Proven in Telic 7 onwards in Iraq (Britfag soldier).

We had P226s as our personal sidearms and if you didn't unload the magazines when in the compound then without any word of a lie, often the top two rounds would just fall straight out the magazine. The springs would be absolutely fucked from only a few weeks loaded.

The amount of lossreps for ammo was ridiculous.

On the plus side, you could steal your mates ammo to replace yours and blame it on his spring failing.
>>
>>32859337

I should say, it was the springs. You'd take them out to inspect and they'd just lie there, fully spread like a dirty whores cum drain and they'd never compress back down again properly.
>>
>>32858735
Keeping a spring under tension or fully relaxed is fine, working the spring will wear it out.
>>
>>32859337
well that's sig quality for you. I have literally 10 carry mags for my Glock that have been without interruption fully loaded for 4 years now without a single issue. that's quality gear vs. overhyped shit used only by special snowflakes for you
>>
>>32858806

Not all metal has a 'memory.' You're thinking of a metal like nitinol, which magazines are not made of.
>>
>>32859337
that isn't spring mechanics, though, that is a piece of trashy metal that isn't a spring (the simple machine) yet was given a coiled shape to resemble one.

the fuddlore about this topic exists for a reason. bad production runs have done this before. it is exceedingly rare, and i know of no instances where it actually mattered in combat.
>>
Basic strengths of materials. Sigma=E*epsilon for elastic deformation.

It's not a big deal if you have good springs, but if they're cheap (and they probably are) you have no way of knowing and filling the mag will damage it as the yield stress is exceeded is portions of the spring.
Basically cheap springs aren't [properly] tempered [if at all], and the metal will creep (relax) over time, loading the spring accelerates this.

>tl;dr Good spring steel springs never wear out when used correctly but they're expensive. Cheap springs are just bent up metal and crap out.
>>
>>32859236
Yes, they do lol.
>>
>>32859738
Where does magpul and glock oem mags fit in?
>>
>>32859738
I dont think youre going to induce plastic deformation on a magazine spring unless you fuck with it. I also dont think creep is a important factor for metals until you get close to the melting point.

The issue is more so that cyclic loading is going to induce shifts in metal bonding that eventually lead to dislocations.
>>
>>32858735
No. Unless you are constantly loading and unloading your magazines then keeping them fully loaded won't cause the spring to lose tension.
>>
>>32858735
Do you put your car on jack stands every night?
Because you should
>>
>>32858752
>Giving the correct answer as the first response.
What the fuck /k/
>>
>>32859371
how are the lips holding up? any deformation?
>>
>>32858783
>No(body really knows)
We do. Steel has this lovely property where it won't permanently deform as long as stress stays below a certain level. That level is very high for things like spring steels. A properly designed spring will last almost indefinitely unless abused and keeping it compressed doesn't matter.
>>
>>32858752
>implying the spring will not suffer more from creep when fully loaded
>>
>>32858735
Unless you stick the mag in a fire or a pressure cooker it's not going to take a set.
>>
>>32858735

>will using the spring the way it was intended break it?

top kek
>>
>>32858735
I fired a sig p230 mag that my dad had kept loaded for 15+ years. Functioned flawlessly, and has continued to do so over the past 5 years since he gave it to me.
>>
Maybe this video can answer your questions about springs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTT28svZ1E
>>
File: 1324503195002.jpg (210KB, 489x500px) Image search: [Google]
1324503195002.jpg
210KB, 489x500px
>>32859228
>metal crystallizes
What was the inside of a short bus like?
>>
>>32858735
Who cares? Mags are like $15 for AR-15s, just buy a new one if it wears out.
>>
Won't ruin the springs.
May ruin feedlips.
>>
>>32864188
Kek
>>
File: Pmag-2.gif (399KB, 1024x529px) Image search: [Google]
Pmag-2.gif
399KB, 1024x529px
>>32858752
Spring is not the only stressed part.

I'm testing a bunch of PMags to see if/when they crack. Some say that having them loaded but with the dust cover on will prevent cracking, I'm hoping that's the case.

In any case, they're cheap now, and if they fail, I'll know for sure.
>>
>>32858752
>Many such cases.
Very sad!
>>
File: ChaikaDinkheller.png (374KB, 970x728px) Image search: [Google]
ChaikaDinkheller.png
374KB, 970x728px
>>32866525
Me! Chaika!
>>
>>32858752
You're telling me a spring doesn't lose elasticity from sitting compressed?

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/56286/why-does-a-spring-lose-its-energy-when-compressed-for-a-long-time
>>
>>32866836
It's called creep, which happens more often to shitty springs than good springs. Good springs will stay compressed for decades if left in a good environment for most of it's life (I.E. a rifle magazine you take to the range and store in a closet.)
>>
>>32858735
>Can being fully loaded hurt a magazine?

Naw.
I'm fully loaded, and I just looked in on my PMAGs. They're fine.
>>
File: some more clips.jpg (1MB, 1667x2500px) Image search: [Google]
some more clips.jpg
1MB, 1667x2500px
>>32858735
I have 300+ magazines that always stay fully loaded when not in use.

In 20 years, I have never had a spring "creep," "relax" or "decompress." I have many magazines dating back decades further; 1993 P88, 1985 USGI, 1970 PP, 1953 P38, 1928 Model 9. None have lost a detectable amount of spring strength.
>>
>>32858752
Except that wrong. Springs lose their strength and feed lips bend, pmags break.
>>
File: bunch of clips.jpg (2MB, 2600x1733px) Image search: [Google]
bunch of clips.jpg
2MB, 2600x1733px
>>32867131
>feed lips bend, pmags break
This is unique to plastic magazines.

Buy metal and enjoy generations of flawless strength.
>>
Eh, springs are simple it's magnets that get me. It's like they are an infinite source of power, emitting some energy field that bends space time or some magical shit. Nobody really knows for sure. Fucking magnets man, how do they work?
>>
>>32859192
Some magazines do not have that space, like glock mags, the spring could inside itself and is compressed past 100% in some areas.
>>
>>32864188
You actually should do that if you are planning to store it a while, cars siting ruin the roundness of the tires.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.