[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Navy Seal raid in Yemen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: risk_was_calculated.jpg (113KB, 720x508px) Image search: [Google]
risk_was_calculated.jpg
113KB, 720x508px
1 Killed in action, 6 wounded and a V22 destroyed. All for some Intel.

Was their mission successful?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/30/navy-seal-team-6-members-fought-female-fighters-yemen-raid.html
>>
>>32853252
>V22 destroyed
7 casualties is worth destroying one of those ospreys, fucking ground magnets
>>
>>32853252
Told you guys seals were total pussies.
Should have sent in TS141 or the SAS.
>>
>>32853252
They achieved their objective, no?
>>
>>32853252
Does Delta/CAG/ACE not get used for these kinds of operations? I know there was that one from a year or two ago where they lost MSG Wheeler, and that one where they kidnapped the dude in Libya, but why don't we here about them in these missions as much as DEVGRU?
>>
>>32853334

They're probably doing more covert ops
>>
File: navy seals suck.jpg (52KB, 314x371px) Image search: [Google]
navy seals suck.jpg
52KB, 314x371px
>>
>>32853334
CAG don't sign book and movie deals after each deployment
>>
>>32853252
Have we heard of it was enemy fire that brought the V-22 down or pilot error/crash?
>>
File: 02MILITARY-PRINT-superJumbo.jpg (332KB, 2048x783px) Image search: [Google]
02MILITARY-PRINT-superJumbo.jpg
332KB, 2048x783px
>>32853252

>Through a communications intercept, the commandos knew that the mission had been somehow compromised, but pressed on toward their target roughly five miles from where they had been flown into the area. “They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning,” one former SEAL Team 6 official said.

>With the crucial element of surprise lost, the Americans and Emiratis found themselves in a gun battle with Qaeda fighters who took up positions in other houses, a clinic, a school and a mosque, often using women and children as cover, American military officials said in interviews this week.

>The commandos were taken aback when some of the women grabbed weapons and started firing, multiplying the militant firepower beyond what they had expected. The Americans called in airstrikes from helicopter gunships and fighter aircraft that helped kill some 14 Qaeda fighters, but not before an MV-22 Osprey aircraft involved in the operation experienced a “hard landing,” injuring three more American personnel on board. The Osprey, which the Marine Corps said cost $75 million, was badly damaged and had to be destroyed by an airstrike.

Link to full article: http://archive.is/bnqVP
>>
>>32853252
>>32853323

Pentagon says so. Without any idea about the specifics of the intelligence that was obtained, we can't possibly dispute their claim of success.
>>
>>32853896
Butched op
>>
>>32854484

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-commando-idUSKBN15G5RX

Yeah tactically this was a disaster, but we don't know the full story.
>>
>>32853334
The Seals do Yemen and Somalia. Some Green Beret are there but they blend in. Their hit's will never make the news.
>>
>>32854076
This. A guy I went to high school with made it through BUD/s and became a SEAL and I remember for the first couple of years after he retired he was doing some consulting work with Hollywood. These guys like to preach how they stay out of the spotlight but in reality they take to it like a pig to mud.
>>
I can't wait for Michael Bay to make a movie out of this.

>Osprey Down
>>
>>32853896
b-e-a-UTIFUL Pyrric victory there. Lutrell really fucking lucked out
>>
>>32854484
>but not before an MV-22 Osprey aircraft involved in the operation experienced a “hard landing,” injuring three more American personnel on board.

How long until this piece of shit is dumped
These are serious fucking injuries every time it has a "hard landing", because it doesn't even have crash proof seats

And ofc, where are the ground vehicles to support this operation.
Overall a typical shitshow.
>>
>>32854484
>but pressed on toward their target roughly five miles from where they had been flown into the area. “They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning,” one former SEAL Team 6 official said.

Am I crazy or is this a pattern special ops missions gone wrong? I could understand if it's hostages or bin laden or some shit, but there's always asshole #433402 or other sources of intel. If you're going to bruteforce the mission you'd want to be an army of grunts, not a seal team.
>>
>>32856057
Or a tank, can't go wrong with a tank
>>
>>32853288
Is this bait, or are you really that dumb?
>>
>>32856057

No one wants to be "that guy" who pussied out and called off the mission when shit goes south early on.

Despite the absolute crap shoot that results. Compare the outcome of canceling Eagle Claw vs continuing after the helo crash in Neptune Spear.
>>
>>32856413
they crashed at their destination for bin laden.. Eagle Claw was a massive screwup, and they didn't even have fuel to make it there
>>
>>32856494

But the key is at WHAT point is the juice not worth the squeeze to avoid a 1993 Somalia incident.

Sure you can say "tough it out and push through" but that's only good advice if it works out. What if the Osama raid ended up killing some nobody instead and the force was captured by Pakistani military? How wise would the decision to press on be then?
>>
>>32856057
You hear about a majority of "bad" missions. The majority of overall missions you will never know took place.

We have fairly significant SOF missions taking place around the world people would be legitimately surprised to know we even have folks on the ground in.

I still don't know why Naval special warfare gets so many inland missions though. SEALs are very good operating on coasts, at sea or along inland rivers. They are fish out of water when land locked, as they have constantly proven since GWOT.

t. Former intelligence officer attached to cool guy organization(s)
>>
>>32854986
Only if communism had wide spread to Latin America but nope, anime and cola bottles in the 90s mobiles and swimsuit calendars in the millenials
>>
>>32853252
B-but they can't die. Dey are muh tier 1 AT&T opperaturs. Dey speshul forces. I'm 15 and lick dey buttholes.
>>
>>32856179
>Hunter Dipshit Actual
>Is this bait

New here?
>>
>>32856536
>What if the Osama raid ended up killing some nobody instead and the force was captured by Pakistani military? How wise would the decision to press on be then?

That's why they got Obama to sign off on it. That's as far as you can push the buck. The officers in charge still get the medals, even when they're hiding behind politicians for the blame.

As much as I hate giving politicians credit for military ops, whether to say yes or no on that op was a pretty hard decision, the risk and stakes were pretty damn high, either way.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't infiltrate in a more subtle way and keep the helos back for hot extract if required or something. They knew where he was for a little while before they moved so they could have moved in two equipped via CIA operatives who had collected a materiel airdropp in a field and attack using civilian vehicles.

It would have been a lot lower profile.

How hard is it for the CIA to coordinate to collect an airdrop and smuggle it to some guys?
>>
>V22 destroyed
>Mfw
>>
>>32854484
>often using women and children as cover

Oh gee.. no subtle propaganda there is there?
>>
>>32855507
>supposedly covert operation to grab intel and go
>blast through town in IFVs
?????
>>
>>32857112
are you implying they wouldnt use peasants as cover and human shields?

>>32856082
transporting a single tank into Libya to support special ops is unwise for many reasons. They would be better off with their special sand rails with a mk19 for heavy dakka support, but frankly they probably wouldnt need even that in good conditions.

>>32855507
Ground vehicles are pretty hard to hide and the logistical footprint of getting it there could tip people off.

And reminder that the US military has no formal military mission in libya, so the non-JSOC may be hesitant to go in.

>>32856673
Probably because logistics. SEALs are pretty easy to move around and have their own air assets available. They already have boats too, so ideally you can keep it all "in house". That would be my assumption.
>>
>>32857072
>We tried never to fall in love with a plan, because that breeds complacency.
>The first thing we tried to do was find an alternate way to approach the target. No one wanted to fly to the X. We’d given up doing that years ago. We were more comfortable being dropped off and patrolling to the compound. Our tactics had evolved over the years into being as sneaky as wecould so we could keep the element of surprise until the very last second.
>The reconnaissance and sniper teams studied satellite images, trying to find landing zones within four to six kilometers of the target, but none of the routes seemed to work. The compound was in a residential area. All of the landing zones were either too close to urban areas or we’d have to walk down city streets. The risks of getting compromised during our infil were too high. In the end, flying to the X was the lesser of two evils. It would
be loud, but it would be fast. We couldn’t risk being compromised during the foot patrol.

As for car approach from far they may have doubts about possibility of pretending to be locals and breach local security. If there were police checkpoints it is over.
>>
>>32856922
Communism did spread in latin America and their counties are still shit. That's the main difference between Reds and Jihads. Reds end up fucking over their own country with their idiotic utopia dream while Jihads are on a mission from God.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.