[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is dry firing a problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: rJOdVigK_400x400.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rJOdVigK_400x400.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
Hey /k/.
I just was at a friends house and he showed me his first gun (Walther PPQ) he gave it to me and i "played" a little bit with it (i dont own guns myself but i used to serve as a conscript, so im not completly retardet when it comes to firearms).
When i dry fired the pistol he ranged bigly, claiming that this would destroy the gun, i didn't said shit because i didn't know if he was right.
Is this true /k/? Does dry firing damage a modern handgun?

pic unrelated ofc.
>>
>>32846268
Dry firing will not damage any modern, quality-made centerfire pistol, which Walter is. It's the single most recommended method of practicing trigger control with a firearm. Dry firing a gun causes about as much damage as exposing it to the air and handling it in general does. Yes, eventually friction and entropy will grind his gun to dust over the course of centuries. No, pulling the trigger a few extra times won't make a lick of difference.

Some manufacturers, such as Beretta, may recommend against dry firing in the manual as a CYA against negligence and/or freak accidents, but even if you DID break a firing pin or striker through excessive wear over many years of dry firing habitually, the replacement is cheap and easy. But it's not going to cause as much wear as actually shooting it would, which the gun was fucking designed to handle in excess, making the point completely moot. The PPQ is a very rugged tool that will probably outlive him with basic maintenance. It's not a historical piece, it's not an heirloom, it's not made of glass, it's not even pretty. It's a solid gun. You should pistol whip him with it to prove the point.

tl;dr, he's full of shit.
>>
Depends on the gun. Most modern guns can be dry fired safely. Rimfired guns shouldn't. Guns with weak firing pins shouldn't, unless you don't mind replacing them. Though, I'd suggest using snapcaps.

But he is full of shit. His pistol is fine.
>>
>>32846268
If I'm wrong /k/ will correct me. For older firearms it's an issue (more likely for the firing pin or associated parts to break). For guns made more recently, with stronger steel components, its probably not going to break anything.

Still a bad habit, but the striker in his Walther isn't going to break from a dry fire. Dry fire a WWII Luger? Yeah, don't do it.
>>
>>32846397
Well, I found this disturbing report: http://yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/element/bwmeta1.element.desklight-e5e5d8e5-4f28-4d99-b6da-a370521a1a25

Dry firing, seems causing harm to the P99. Is it bullshit?
>>
>>32846268
It's fine for anything centerfire.
>>
this poster >>32846397 is right. You're not going to damage a modern centerfire firearm by dry firing, and any admonitions against it by the manufacturer are liability concerns

That said, it is courteous to ask someone before you dry fire their gun, and I always do even if I know it is safe, even if I know they will say yes. Lots of people are misinformed, but it's their property, not yours.
>>
>Walther PPQ
Chamberd in what?
>>
I dry fire my PPQ all the time, your friend is a tard. I recommend shooting him in the head with his own PPQ in order to remove the defective genes from the gene pool.
>>
>>32846402
>Rimfired guns shouldn't.
is that why the owners manual for the 10/22 says you should dry fire it?
>>
>>32846448
You mean caliber?
.22 i guess
>>
>>32846461
Fine, if you want to get pedantic, generally shouldn't unless the owner's manual says otherwise.
>>
File: 1483313876613.png (129KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1483313876613.png
129KB, 320x320px
>>32846465
>>
>>32846478
I always want to get pedantic, so thank you.
Additionally, dry-firing a gun once or twice is alright but doing it thousands of times or for hours a day every day is bad. Damn it I couldn't pull up the archived thread that had pictures of a glock that had that happen to it and broke.
this is the thread by the way https://desuarchive.org/k/thread/32749998/#32749998
>>
Your friend is a retard. Tell him to never fire the gun because it'll destroy it.
>>
One time a girl I brought home dry fired my gun, which she found in my desk. Or at least it would have been a dry fire if it wasn't loaded. Instead she blew a hole in my desk. I forgave her because she was just curious about something she'd never used before, although now I'm wondering why she was going through my desk. Anyway, I wish she had put out instead of getting freaked out at the time. I really needed some sex on that day.
>>
>>32846465
Then it most likely indeed is discouraged by Walther, yet it wont cause a problem if you dont do it ever day 100 times
>>
>>32846423
Yes, our police carries these and they probably dryfire few times more than they actually shoot. There are horror stories going around about this model here, like one where trainee nearly lost her eye when plastic bit broke and the cocking indicator was launched straight back.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.