[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF first aid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: Home-First-Aid-Kits.jpg (43KB, 414x414px) Image search: [Google]
Home-First-Aid-Kits.jpg
43KB, 414x414px
So I have my IFAK on my chest rig, I have my FAK in my BOB, but I got to thinking. I'm planning on bugging in so what sort of first aid equipment should I have at my home?

So what equipment do you have at home?
>>
Other than fuck tonnes of gauze I'm already well aware you can never have enough gauze.
>>
A handful of common drugs (ibuprofen, benadryl, tylenol, etc...).

Something to splint with (SAM splints work well and are pretty cheap)

Some sort of water purification and food.
>>
Generator, fuel, weather-appropriate clothing, materials for shuttering doors and windows, batteries
...come to think of it, just google "hurricane preparations"
>>
>>32841101
I'm more specifically talking about first aid.
>>
gauze and more gauze, common drugs such as acetaminpohen, aspirin and ibuprofen (preferrably all 3 as they're different for certain things), benadryl, burn gels, antiseptic ointments, isopropyl alcohol or such, antibiotics (order it from online pet stores instead of getting a script), splinting materials, ace bandage, superglue, Halo chest seal for GSWs, duct tape, baby powder, vasaline, qtips, makeshift sling materials, tourniquet, sterile gloves tweezers and hemostats

Also, if you want to spend some money, a pack of epipens.

I'm probably forgetting a few things
>>
>>32841287
Op here I will note at this point before anyone posts the whole

>Hey guys should I get an NPA
Or
>Hey guys is a chest needle useful

If you are not trained to use it then DONT FUCKING USE IT. You will do more harm than good.
>>
>>32841287
I've been looking at maybe shelling out for one of the large first aid kits that they carry on cruise ships. It has a lot of useful gear in it though I'm unsure if it's a restricted purchase.
>>
File: 123.gif (500KB, 498x278px) Image search: [Google]
123.gif
500KB, 498x278px
Lets be realistic.
The most likely scenario that you will need any bugout bag is a surprise riot brought to you by liberals "protesting" (rioting in the fucking streets, burning shit, attacking whites) conservative values.
A Handgun, some water, and first aid kit are more than enough.
If you feel really paranoid, pack some bullet proof vests in the pack with a gas mask and get ready to bash some fucking antifa faggot scum like the true fashy goy you are.
>>
>>32840721
a shit load of gauze. and antibiotics
>>
>>32841381
>City slicker
>>
>>32841322
>carry on cruise ships
Checked.

Most crruise ships have onboard medical staff that can handle most anything short of surgery. Shit, they have xray machines and lab work on board now. Your best bet is to buddy up with an EMT/FD, and see what are the most used things in their daily duties. Obviously you're going to fall short in obtaining and AED and other equipment, or, look at here:

https://www.safetystore.com/advanced_first_aid_kit_station.aspx

http://www.sosproducts.com/EMT-Deluxe-First-Aid-Kit-p/3516emt2.htm
>>
>>32841381
Go back to

>>>/pol/
>>
>>32841466
See those were the sort of things I've looked at and considered. I'm mean Im joining the us army as a 68W so by the time I leave I'll have some knowlege.

I'm just wondering if it's worth buying the big kit like that or trying to but individual items and build my own.
>>
>>32840721
do you guys know how to use this stuff? (actual question I'm not trying to be an ass) I can slap some gauze on people no problem but using antibiotics, thats a different story. Also on a related note how do you do long term medical care in SHTF, for instance lets say one of my group members got shot what do you do after 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?
>>
>>32841518
>See those were the sort of things I've looked at and considered
Buy it yourself instead of a kit. You can piecemeal it together a little at a time in case you're a poorfag, and I'm sure you already have a spare back pack lying around.

>>32841578
>Also on a related note how do you do long term medical care in SHTF, for instance lets say one of my group members got shot what do you do after 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?
Hope you have a doctor in your group. Sans full on catastrophic disaster, medical care will be available. It may not be close by, so you're going to have to stabilize the victim, see upthread about tourniquets and chest seals. Red Cross, DHS and FEMA will keep some things from absolute chaos. Also, you may have to make a tough choice, if he gets a slug or JHP to the chest, he's going to bleed a lot. If you know there's nothing near (golden hour), your buddy is going to be pretty much SOL. Hope to get shot with a FMJ, at least you can seal those up pretty good to contain the bleeding.
>>
>>32841518
Its generally better to buy a basic kit and add to (preferably as you learn to use things) it than buy some huge kit full of things you dont have the training the properly use.
>>
>>32841751
>>32841808
So what would you recommend as some things to put in it.
>>
>>32840721

Liquor. After the first aid emergency is dealt with, you're prob gonna want to have a drink. Shit can be nerve racking if it's bad and it's your first time handling some thing like that.

Medical books is good to have. It's good to have training for stuff, always nice to have books to refresh your memory, other fun needs.

Lots of gauze.

Always keep an extra set of prescriptions meds set aside. It's gonna suck if every thing is down for a week, you can't have (Insert medicine of what ever here) because instead of getting a refill and picking it up that day, you post pone it to the next day (I do this all the time with my stuff) shit finally hits the fan. Make sure to keep a eye on how it needs to be stored too.

If any one in your family or close friends is a diabetic, it would not be bad to have test strips and a meter to test that crap. Keep a few candy bars with it incase person needs sugar.

Clean water.

Flash lights (both hand held and head hamp. Which a head lamp is perfect if you need light, need both your hands.) extra batteries for said lamps.
>>
>>32841808
Anybody with basic first aid experience can deal with most common injuries: Burns, scrapes, cuts/punctures, rashes, fevers, splinting and immobilization. Shit, I would expect someone being able to intubate a person without having much knowledge. You took first aid and CPR in high school, right Anon? Or did you want to make a bong so you took that pottery class?
Obviously, I don't expect Anon to be able to handle a sucking chest wound all on his own, but at least stabilizing a victim to be able to seek further medical treatment where available.
>>
>>32840721
Bugging out = certain death.
Fortify the interior rooms of your place, make the rest looked picked over. kill an decent sized animal and let it rot inside one of the exterior doors and survive.
>>
>>32844191
>Bugging out = certain death.
Oh god one of these idiots
>>
Tourniquets tourniquets and more tourniquets
>>
>>32845546
I mean I'll agree with him to an extent, I think bugging out with the intention of "wandering the wastes" will mean certain death. Bugging out to get to your fortified bug out location is perfectly reasonable. But my kit is definitely aimed at bugging in.
>>
Do you have to do or consider anything different when using hemostatic gauze compared to normal gauze?

You should have both kinds right?
>>
>>32845726
Honestly my view of it is this, hemostatic gauze is good as long as you get the one without the granules. The granules are what causes the issue because if they start to break off it can open up a whole new can of worms when trying to remove it, especially if you don't have adequate medical assistance.
>>
File: milofirstaidguide.jpg (2MB, 1168x3437px) Image search: [Google]
milofirstaidguide.jpg
2MB, 1168x3437px
>>32840721
This is what I have used to prepare myself. Pretty comprehensive provided you understand how to use the items.
>>
>>32847405
What ever happend to that navy queer? I miss his threads.
>>
>>32847690
No clue, I'm a newfag to /k/. Been on /o/ exclusively until summer last year when I started going shooting.
>>
File: IMG_5127.jpg (56KB, 300x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5127.jpg
56KB, 300x539px
The supplies everyone has stated are all correct.

But you must remember that "First
Aid" is not definitive care. Definitely have a plan on how to transport your patient to a hospital.

If you are more inclined to learn more advanced medical knowledge and skills , start reading emergency medicine text books like the one in pic related.

I tried to start a similar Medical thread recently but it didn't receive interest.
>>
>>32848461
Please for the love of God don't read one of these then think you are Dr house and can start doing high risk procedures like chest darts as mentioned earlier.

And the reason you didn't get interest is you need to add SHTF into the title that draws us in.
>>
>>32848461
What was your thread regarding?
>>
>>32845701
>Bugging out to get to your fortified bug out location is perfectly reasonable
You don't have a fortified location. Not even trolling you but you don't have one to go to.
>>32847735
Welcome home brother. Don't be a huge faggot.
>>32848461
Real preppers learn far more than first age or triage medicine. We accept a higher responsibility for our fellow man. Sounds like you do as well, good on you.,
If I started a thread next Saturday morning just trying to organize a group of anons who actually know something would you be interested in spending time away from 4chan to create a good solid prepper sticky? It will require a bunch of hours in IRC chat with the rest of anons with specialty training. I have been wanting to do this for years honestly.
>>
>>32850942
I can donate as much knowledge as possible, my time is limited as I work full time in the ER and have wife kids.

I am more than happy to add in suggestions and answer specific questions regarding treatment options in standard hospital setting and discuss options in the more austere setting.
>>
>>32850942
Yeah that sounds interesting, I'm down for that.

And while yes I agree you don't need a place to bug out to, I highly question a person's a survivability if they are planning on just wandering and living off the land.
>>
>>32840721

Know how to use equipment but basics I have for my first aid kit is as follows ;
Gauze , alcohol swabs , hard alcohol ( drinking to numb pain if blood loss isn't a problem , sterilize equipment and wounds ) , bandages ( bandaid and bandages ) , SAM splints , forceps , EMS scissors, tweezers , stiches ( dissolve is best ) , saline solution for wound irrigation, bleed stops , torniquet, tape , ibuprofen, aspirin , hard med ( store up opeits if possible ) , prescription med if you need it , cold meds is a good one ( or know what makes you feel better ) ,charcoal , medic stapler and staple remover ( easier than stich but bulky ) , clean gloves or packaged gloves , iodine , scaple,over all a bag to keep it all dry and stored.

Best thing to is knowledge and practice. I learned sewing myself up since I'm a dumbass and saved myself a few bucks.
>>
>>32841381
>surprise riot brought to you by liberals "protesting" (rioting in the fucking streets, burning shit, attacking whites) conservative values.

Check out this victim complex
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.