[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

surefire g2- worth upgrading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 100_1270.jpg (142KB, 1200x752px) Image search: [Google]
100_1270.jpg
142KB, 1200x752px
I was given a surefire g2 nitrolon, the model with the incandescent lightbulb.
After a bit of search on the net, I found there are led drop-in upgrade led modules for this model.

My first question is whether it's worth upgading, and secondly, if yes, which led module to choose, without having to replace the plastic lens and front-end.
>>
>>32835396
i think most LEDs will be too hot for that unless you plan on using it for very short lengths of time.
the dropin will probably be damaged also since most metal lights also act as a heat sink.
it's a good incandescent light though.
i'd just keep it, they are becoming somewhat harder to find.
if you actually find a dropin that says it's specifically for the all-plastic model then i'd say go for it

also: candlepowerforums.com
>>
>>32835396
bump
>>
>>32835396
What are you looking for in the light? A general utility light, or something that can be used "tactically" i.e. to blind attackers? Or for security to light up people to scare them off a property?

How do you carry it? Holster, bag, pocket?

Are you willing to go to 18650 batteries?

How much you want to spend?

These are things to consider.

My normal edc is a Zebra Light SC62w, and I run Orbtonic 3500mah 18650's in it.
>>
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff?variant=6892890755

Malkoff is the gold standard if you want a drop in LED module.

Getting a new Surefire G2X is about the same price, however.
>>
>>32840222
Correction, didn't notice the price on the store, only saw retail. It's a great buy to get 2017 performance out of an old beat up G2.
>>
>>32840285
I'm not sure why Surefire is so popular, or why people like them really. Granted their build quality is outstanding, and if you want an American made light they are among the few.

But from a pure functionality stand point they seem to be under powered and overpriced.
>>
>>32840356
>under powered
A lot of models on the market are old and long discontinued but still functional. Their newer stuff is competitive in terms of output.

>over priced
American made and recoil-proofed. I can't really fault them for going overboard on hardening their electronics.
>>
File: IMG_0165.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0165.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32840387
Yeah, I actually don't think they are really overpriced all things considered, let me restate it as: it's build quality is overkill if you are going for performance/dollar. Assuming we are talking about someone who does not care where it's made.

I have a EagleTac G25c2, it is built to handle recoil, and has all the features of a comparable use Surfire, while as far as I can find, at 1,100lm it's almost twice as powerful as any comparable Surefire I can find. While being half the price... once again probably due to being made in china. In fact my old EDC light (Fenix PD32ue) is brighter and a quarter of the price, and is of good enough quality to be at the same functional level.

I don't really have a point lol... Other than if you care more about raw performance, Surefire may not be the best bang for the buck.
>>
>>32840579
I think most people buying Surefire have American-made as a priority.

Otherwise they're far outclassed in price-per-dollar by Streamlight for weapons usage and the new Chinese vanguard (Fenix, Olight, FourSevens, etc)
>>
File: IMG_1533.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1533.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32840600
Pretty much. It seems though sadly that there are not really many (if any) American manufactures that are even competitive with some of the high end chines lights, at lest with LEDs (Not talking about HIDs).

Like my Nitecore TM36. It's 4,000Lm and the size of a brick, I don't know of any American makers that even have a comparable light.
>>
>>32840897
Darn idk while all of my older photo's come out upside down on 4chan. On my laptop they are right side up and what I post on FaceBook comes out right side up.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.