[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make /tg/ /k/ombat great again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: star-wars-memes-2.jpg (162KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-memes-2.jpg
162KB, 500x356px
So I run a tabletop rpg and wondered what suggestions /k/ had to make encounters more dynamic and challenging for players. I dont want "hurr these guys are elite = more HP". I want the stormtrooper mooks to feel like they are part of a real force, with real tactics.

Whats some basic stuff I can do beyond "the bad guys take cover at this ridge" or "the bad guys throw a grenade". How do I best exploit fog of war and stuff? How do i into withdrawal and ambush?
>>
File: Do-your-part.jpg (64KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Do-your-part.jpg
64KB, 467x700px
>>32831937
Wrong stormtroopers
>>
differentiate based on equipment. ie. normal troopers rifles are effective out to such and such range; a scout trooper with a sniper rifle has a longer effective range but is more susceptible to damage. LMG's have a higher hit probabilty but you cant move as fast. "death troopers" are harder to detect, etc. Then add in geography, and set it up so theres multipliers for good tactical positions; ie if two players set up an L ambush, they get mayb 1.5x damage. boost.

Mayb those would work, idk. not much of an rpg player, but thats what i would do.
>>
>>32831937
Mooks
>poor morale, they will run if they start taking heavy casualties or if their officer dies
>shitty equipment, their weapons may jam or be less accurate
>are dumb, they won't try to flank or use smoke to cover their advance
Basically imagine them as normal people who were shown how to point and shoot their gun and then thrown onto the battlefield.

stormtroopers
>fanatic, they will ignore pain and any heavy casualties
>they get the best weapons and equipment
>work as a team and use tactics like flanking, pincer maneuver. Maybe ambushes or traps
These guys are well trained and don't fuck around. They don't make as many dumb mistakes

Look up small unit tactics and have the elites use similar maneuvers

Also what this guy said
>>32832056
>>
>>32831987
one doesn't join the Death Korp of Krieg you have to be created for it.
>>
>>32832056
try using base tactics heavy gunners suppress while normal troopers flank or flush your players out with nades. Also try using weapons unconventionally like heavy troops blowing holes in wall (if the players are covering the door) then flash bang before clearing the room.
>>
>>32831987
Wish to be Shocktrooper of Imperial Guard.
But i was assigned to Catachan Spec Ops.
>>
Unmotivated troops might give up as soon as some casualties are taken, or when they are slightly wounded. Veteran troops are much more disciplined and will hold position as ordered (or at least hold them longer). Elite units have better equipment and are much more skilled. Another difference is that "green" troops will freeze in ambush situations, while experienced troops will either get cover and fight back or directly charge (violence of action) if no cover available.
>>
Also look the difference between Western troops and Arab or African troops. The western soldiers take aimed shots from cover and try to apply some strategy. Arab and African forces shoot from the hip or shoot blindly from behind cover (the bullets will hit the enemy, inch'Allah).
>>
>>32831937

Here is a lil scenario you can do.

Make them take back some bio weapon from some mercs. While they're flying off back into space, some missle just happens to take out one of their engines. Ship goes into a spin as it falls back down to the planet.

Safety system kicks in, all troops are placed in a deep freeze (incase the haul was breached, them being put in deep freeze would allow rescue to come, be it a day or a yr from then)

Next thing they know, they're asleep. Fast forward and they finally wake up...They realize some thing is fucked as they begin to check all their systems.

Find out that bio weapon was released in the crash, it had horrible affects on the planet. Turns ppl into 28 days later zombies, or the reaver from fire fly. The animals it had even worst turn outs. Squirrels that size of mini cooper, birds the size of small cessna planes, etc. The animals are also horribly mutated. No fur, nasty open sores, rabid as fuck, etc.

Their ship cannot fly, closest known ship is about a days walk on a normal day (much longer seeing as shit went to hell)

Now instead of facing men, they're facing beasts. Their first encounter can be them standing in the cockpit of the ship, doing inventory check, making a plan. Next thing you know, some poor npc trooper by the window gets ripped out. You hear his blaster going off multiple times as you hear screaming, what sounds like his armor being crushed like a can.

Now you can take normal day creatures, warp them into some fucked up shit. Fighting men can be scary, fighting the unknown is terrifying.

I ran the same scenario In a Warhammer 40k campaign. They ended up making bad choices, ended up being swarmed by a hybrid animal, it was a snapping turtle that was the size of a grizzly. Had its big ass paws, had the shell and shit.

One of the players just blew himself and the party up.
>>
File: 1485323761078.gif (663KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1485323761078.gif
663KB, 240x320px
>>32831987
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.