[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Muzzleloading General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

>be me
>have permission to hunt on a property bordering a large public park
>mfw the property owner doesn't want anyone using high powered guns
>one guy who hunts the property uses a muzzleloader
>kills big deer every season, does predator control with it too

I know very little about modern muzzleloaders but would like to get one.
>preferably .45 (better ballistics) but wouldn't be opposed to getting a more common caliber
>break action
>around $200
>reach out to 150 yards for deer and coyote

Anybody have suggestions? I was looking at a Traditions Buckstalker (pic related) but need to learn more about these rifles so general muuzzleloader thread
>>
>>32830344
Get a repro and fulfill your dreams of getting raped by a bear like Leonardo. Oh and if you live below the Mason-Dixon have fun.
>>
>>32830382
caught the revenant reference but nothing else desu. very north of the line here
>>
File: P1070144.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P1070144.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>32830344
I use a krb7 which uses 209 primers and is super easy to take down and clean compared to a lot of guns.
And while the gun is 50cal, you can use saboted 45cal bullets like my picture. The 45 cals I've used are just lead practice bullets.
Accuracy wise, it's as accurate as anything else I shoot, it just drops faster because of the obvious.
I've yet to shoot a deer and have it run. They've always just dropped on the spot for me. Those 50cal bullet expand to ~100cal almost instantly.
>>
>>32830438
How far are .50 cals (or saboted .45s) good consistently out to?
>>
File: P1010706.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
P1010706.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>32830467
Look at the load data on the packaging when you buy bullets(powerbelts include it at least). It'll give you a pretty solid idea on what drop to expect depending on how much powder you use. I generally use 100 grains.
I'd say anywhere within a couple hundred yards is doable. I've shot out just a little further based on that printed data, and it hit right where it was supposed to.
>>
>>32830574
Awesome. Any recommendations on what rifle >$200?
>>
>>32830793
>$200
Yeah, mine.
But I think you meant under 200. So I'm not really sure what you'd get there. I'm sure they're all "ok" if you get one that uses naked 209 primers.
>>
>>32830815
awesome, thanks! I'll probably get a used one as my first one and go from there. Any recommendation as to propellant? Also just assuming a powerbelt or saboted .45 are perfect as far as ammo goes
>>
File: IMG_1985.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1985.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>32830893
The hodgdon triple se7en powder's treated me very well. It's actually all I've tried.
It's easy to measure and throw into speedloaders, then dump into the gun.
>>
>>32830957
so that's loose black powder, not the compact measured charges?
>>
>>32831048
It's loose black powder "substitute" anyway. It's no those 50 grain(or whatever weight) pellets they sell.
>>
>>32831067
what are the advantages/disadvantages besides the increased load time? I know you mentioned you had a speed loader
>>
File: P1010876.jpg (337KB, 1098x570px) Image search: [Google]
P1010876.jpg
337KB, 1098x570px
>>32831135
See those orange things in >>32830574?
It's just a tube with a divider in the middle. You dump your powder into one end, then put the bullet(and primer in my case) in the other. I hold all my other primers on a magnet in my pocket so they're easy to find, even with gloves(again, in my pic in previous post).
You pop the powder cap and dump it in the barrel, then open the other cap and push the bullet down on top of it. Pretty simple and fast reload.
>>
>>32831202
That's awesome! Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.