[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talk me out of it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (60KB, 568x479px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 568x479px
I'm thinking of going for a big rifle cartridge, specifically the 458 Lott in a CZ550. If I saved up more, I may consider the Weatherby Mark 5 in 460.

Does anyone have any big ass cartridges? The biggest I got so far are 45-70, 338LM and I've had the big revolvers. Wanting to stay away from 50bmg because it's not a shoulder firing cartridge.

My rationale so far is because fuck you, that's why. And seeing a 10" plate fly 30 feet back is hilarious.
>>
.458 Lott is big for no reason. It was created in response to Winchester fucking up with the powder charges of .458 WM back in the day, that's over now. If you want it there's no real detriment over .458 WM aside from freebore, the action lengths are the same IIRC.

If you're going that big, however, I would suggest a .375 H&H due to slightly lower recoil, significantly flatter trajectory, and an easier time finding ammunition. .375 is already overpowered for everything in the Americas, though if you're fine with the .458's limitatons more power to you.

The .460 Weatherby is just an embarrassment of riches. The recoil is horrendous without a muzzle brake and the muzzle blast is horrible with it, the cartridge is expensive and proprietary, and it does nothing that the .458 can't 100 yards closer.
>>
.416 Rigby is the only answer.
>>
>>32830140
I did read that about modern powders making the 458mag viable again. Sounds like the 375HH is the typical primary Africa hunting cartridge and the heavier/larger ones are for being someone's backup. I don't even hunt deer at this point. I just like shooting big rifles.
>>
375 HH is going to leave you wondering if you should've gone balls out with the 416 rigby or 458lott.

OF COURSE you should've gone balls out OP!

I always always wish I had gotten a 405win instead of this fucking 444 marlin. Don't do that OP, don't be a faggot like me
>>
File: 12.gif (2MB, 285x214px) Image search: [Google]
12.gif
2MB, 285x214px
>>32830025
do it.
>>
>>32830581
Holy shit I haven't seen that in forever
>>
>>32830606
friend of mine who still browses /b/ sent it to me.

Sauce?
>>
>>32830221
.375H&H is the legal minimum for dangerous game in most African countries.
>>
>>32830025
I have a ruger single shot chambered in .416 rigby, my ex's dad left me. Its a fun gun, little abusive. Ammo is a bitch obviously.
>>
>>32830025
.458 win mag garand or bust
>>
>>32830025 Anything's a shoulder firing cartridge if you're not pussy enough.
>>
>>32830025
Probably not big enough for you but I kind of want a .300 win mag.
>>
>>32830921
I would direct you away from a belt fed cartridge. I wish I would have gone 300WSM of 338 Norma at this point.
>>
>>32830921
I did consider that when I got my 338LM, but cost wise, it just didn't make sense over the LM. It would have been a LOT of money to do a 300WM the way I wanted it; pretty much no manufacturer makes a barrel long enough to really take advantage of a 300WM. If you shoot it with the shorty 22-24" barrels, it's just a slightly hot 308; you need that barrel length for the magnum rifles and their slow burning powder.
>>
>>32830140
Shame on you for trying to bring practicality into a discussion on big bore rifles.

But seriously if you're just getting a trophy rifle for "hey, check this out" purposes, go as big as you can.
>>
>>32830946
>I would direct you away from a belt fed cartridge

Why?

OP, consider the .45-70, you can get commercial loads up to solid brass bullets suitable for the largest African game and costs a fraction of other cartridges in it's power range.
>>
>>32830025
I bought a 50 Beowulf. Punches holes in EVERYTHING. Fun as hell. No regerts
>>
File: 375a.jpg (380KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
375a.jpg
380KB, 1600x900px
I got a 375 winchester 70 a couple years ago. Recoil is a pleasant thump. I've never shot a gun I thought had too much recoil, so I'd be curious to try a 460 Weatherby or such if I had the opportunity. I'm glad I went with 375 though. Good ballistics, easier to find ammo for than anything bigger, still powerful enough to drop an elephant, and will fit in 300wm mags if you file down the flutes.
>>
>not a Sako

Faggot
>>
I have a 458 Lott Ruger bolt action. The one that was discontinued. Not much to it unless you decide you really want to make/beat 2300 fps with a 500 grain pill. The recoil difference in factory loads cruising at 2230 vs. hand loads at 2310 fps is incredible. If you stick with factory loads it is not too bad from teh shoulder. Just roll with it. The steel jacketed 500 grain Hornady solids are something else over a max charge of DP-74. CZ makes good stuff. Have fun.
>>
>>32830161
I came here to post this
>>
....enjoy your detached retinas OP
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.