[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is wolf a meme ammunition brand that i should stay away from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

File: Wolf_Ammunition.png (8KB, 398x136px) Image search: [Google]
Wolf_Ammunition.png
8KB, 398x136px
Is wolf a meme ammunition brand that i should stay away from?
>>
no, its fine you raging faggot
>>
File: 1273430585188.jpg (680KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1273430585188.jpg
680KB, 800x800px
>>32825181

Gun store owner told me this shit damages my gun and I should only use it if i'm too poor to afford anything else.
>>
>>32825189
he lied so you'd buy more expensive stuuf, that or fuddlore that asshat actually believes
>>
>>32825178
I don't want their 762x39, because holy shit are there quality gaps in that caliber between companies. GT or forget it for me. It's fine plinking and mud busting ammo, but I like to reach out to 400 yards and have nasty terminal ballistics when I do hunt a critter.
Otherwise, I really don't notice too much difference when I'm shooting the other flavors they produce, or barnaul etc headstamped ammo just sold under wolf's brand name.
>>
>>32825199

Told me that cost of maintenance is much higher if i buy cheap stuff like wolf. told me to buy military surplus instead.

Also its not accurate and higher chance of failures per round.
>>
>>32825228
again, bullshit, steel ammo is no more taxing than regular, and fuck all if iys accurate, your just going to plink with
>>
>>32825178
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
>>
>>32825199
>>32825189
>current year

Not detail striping and cleaning your gun after each hand loaded shot.

But for real just clean your guns after each trip. Bore snek after each. I like to clean the actions too, but that is because I like to strip naked and scrub with very small tools while chanting "unclean! Unclean!"
>>
>>32825228
its cheap russian steel case. of course it sucks.

yes, the "cost" of maintence is "higher" in the sense that Wolf is very dirty ammo (not corrosive) so youll clean a bit more.

Yes, the steel case on the steel action will wear down your gun faster than compared to brass(but this is a legit non issue)

just buy it in bulk and shoot it. get some nicer brass cased more expensive ammo for when you need it.

wolf is all Ive shot thru my SKS and VZ2008 so far, need to get me some brown bear/silver bear and golden tiger.
>>
>>32825189
>told me this shit damages my gun
I be he also thinks carbine gas causes faster wear on parts.
>>
Cheap ammo will pay for the repairs and then some.

However, buying good ammo and reloading it saves even more mons and doesn't fuck your gun.
>>
>>32825258

It really depends on your gun, that.

Soviet weapons can use and tolerate steel cased for decades while delicate western guns need brass or risk maintenance problems in the long run
>>
Gun shops are going to do whatever they can to try and make you buy more expensive shit. Big surprise there.

I have not had more thansix or seven ammo related failures across across close to 1700 rounds with my AK, Galil, and RPK. Just as a general rule of thumb though, avoid putting steel in an AR unless you're 100% confident your rifle will cycle it. Wolf gold standard is M192 surplus and it'll do just fine for that.
>>
>>32825189
It's not a complete lie. I know ammo from the early 2000's was great and safe for your gun. The steel case and bullets used are softer than brass/copper. What I have heard is the powders being used are now substandard causing throat erosion.
>>
>>32825413
Fucking what? Steel softer than fucking brass and copper?
>>
>>32825440
Yes. Research it. The cases are often softer than that of brass cases when tested on a Rockwell tester. The bullets are plenty soft.
>>
File: i wanna fuck that ____.jpg (55KB, 542x616px) Image search: [Google]
i wanna fuck that ____.jpg
55KB, 542x616px
>>32825178
>wolf
>>
I shoot russian steel case exclusively in my AK's AR's and handguns, never had a single issue.
>>
>>32825440

The steel cases are annealed super soft, they actually are softer then brass cases.
>>
>>32825178
Its fine but other manufactures have to sell their more expensive ammo somehow so whatever.
>>
>>32825178
It's perfectly alright economy brand ammo.
If you want to shoot a bit nicer stuff with real brass, then by all means do.

>>32825189
Steelcase may accelerate wear on your extractor, but not at a highly significant rate, and weighing against what you'd save on the cheaper ammo, it's arguably worth it.
Some kinds of guns don't like steelcase very much, but it shouldn't really hurt it.

>>32825228
It's no match grade, but it's certainly not abysmal either, I'd say it's passable.
>>
>>32825178
The crap they coat the cases in melts off and clogs up the breach and gets on the bolt carrier over time, the hotter you run your rifle the worse it becomes until you can no longer chamber a round.
>>
>Wolf
>Not Jackal
It's like you don't even save the Presidents daughter.
>>
>>32825178
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F28NK5mhLos
>>
>>32825843
That's only true with lacquer coated rounds.
>>
>>32825843
What kind of shit gun do you have
>>
>>32825843

where the hell did you come up with this? have been shooting wolf ammo out of many rifles and pistols for years, and have never encountered "clogs" in the breach. Sounds to me like you don't clean your rifle. I run a bore brush and spray down the carrier group every time I go shooting, and break it down for a deep cleaning every 500 rounds or so. It's called maintenance motherfucker, you don't get to just shoot and shoot all day and night, never clean your gun, and then bitch about ammo "clogging' things up.
>>
>>32825902
Rem 700 in 7.62. Craps not made for precision rifles.
>>
>>32825228
You do realize of course that person has a financial incentive to lie to you to in that situation.
>>
It might cause more extractor wear and throat erosion. It causes more barrel wear in AR's but you'd need to fire 10k rounds of it before you even notice it (Lucky Gunner tested it). At some point with any firearm parts need to be replaced, and most people never fire half that amount. It's fine until you start shooting steel targets or backstops with it.
>>
>>32825854
> Jackal
> 50 cartdiges

oh shit how much dollers per cartdiges?
>>
File: T91-3_(65).jpg (162KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
T91-3_(65).jpg
162KB, 1152x768px
>>32825178
Anyone know when the Wolf T91 uppers are to be here?
>>
i run wolf/wolf gold in my ar exclusively.

its stinky and dirty but will still kill paper and people alike.
>>
>>32825897
That's also utter bullshit.
>>
>>32825843

Old fudd myth that started from AR fags with shitty AR's that wouldnt run steel case ammo, you can put a blow torch to lacquer and it wont melt.
>>
File: 1480043665573.jpg (32KB, 727x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480043665573.jpg
32KB, 727x480px
steel may just expand more than brass so it gets stuck in a dirty chamber
>>
>>32825843
fuddlore. steel case expands from heat, shitty ARs can't handle it, FTE
>>
The only time I've ever had issues with steel cased is with a cheap AR and a Mini 30. Any mid tier AR, PTR 91/FAL, or AK I've shot steel cased through functioned flawlessly
>>
My 20" colt and pinned 14.5 run wolf just fine, your gun is junk or something is out of spec if it wont run steel case.
>>
>>32827373

Nah, the expansion is same as with brass but it doesn't contract as well afterwards.
>>
File: IMG_4418.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4418.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
People even reload steel case. Its not a bad brand I am putting 500 rounds of wolf through this pistol a bit at a time and its running good.
>>
so much fuddlore in this thread it makes me think im at my lgs.

First steel casings sliding in and out of a hardened chrome chamber will in no way harm it or wear it out any faster.

The bullets in steel case ammo are just copper washer soft steel jacketed ammo, if you shoot extreme volumes or rapidfire all the time yes it can wear the throat out a little bit faster but thats tens of thousands of rounds to do damage.

The problem with steel case in ar's is that the neck doesnt expand completely to seal the chamber off from gases, so every time you fire a little bit of gas and carbon get stuck between the case and chamber. After so many rounds the chamber can get enough buildup to prevent the case from extracting. Simple solution is to bring a chamber brush and give it a quick pass after 100 rounds or so. i also heard that a brass round every 5-10 steel case rounds will clean your chamber, the brass expands unlike steel and basically drags out the carbon.
>>
>>32825178

Wolf has shitty QC in their cheaper lines of ammo. I once had a box of 1000 Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ where some of the bullets had improper bonding of jacket and core making some of the bullets fly in pretty much random direction. Out of every box of 20 atleast one was a flyer and missed the target completely at 100m range (I tested the ammo shooting prone with milled receiver Arsenal). The overall accuracy even with the flyers was worse than with Chinese surplus ammo.
>>
>>32825258

Those results have most likely nothing to do with the ammo being steel or brass cased but with the more abrasive powder and primer residue in Russian made ammo.
>>
>>32825178
You're a fucking meme you god damn redpill cuck of irony.
>>
File: IMG_4425.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4425.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>32827488
I’m not sure that sounds probably. Not saying i have evidence here but. If the round wasn’t sealing as intended on an AR platform... well the weapon would function noticeably different wouldn’t it?
>>
>>32827533
And the fact that they were shooting at a rate that would tax even an M249 to a degree.
>>
>>32827493

Polyformance, Military classic, and the new green box mil spec is all the same exact load from Barnaul, MC and Poly are the exact same thing, the mil spec is just lacquered.

At least for 7.62x39,9mm,5.45,ect

Bear ammo is also the same loading, all made by Barnaul, Wolf and Bear are simply U.S importers.

Barnaul quality is fairly high
>>
>>32825854
FUCKIN NEAT
>>
>>32825258

I'm sure a vender selling ammunition is not biased in a anyway towards the higher priced product, which they want you to buy.
>>
File: when k trains.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
when k trains.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>32825178
Wolf is fine ammo, good for training. Stuck cases can occur in AR-15s. They have hard primers so avoid using it in older guns that may have softer firing pins. I have seen excessive ejector and extractor wear on glock pistols with steel case but nothing too bad.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

^
luckygunners 10,000 round steel case test
>>
File: holo with AK.jpg (105KB, 1000x1343px) Image search: [Google]
holo with AK.jpg
105KB, 1000x1343px
>>32825214
This. In my SKS, I use Wolf at the range and Golden Tiger innawoods. GT a best

pic unrelated, aside from caliber
>>
>>32825178
>>32825278
This.

It's really, really cheap ammo that serves the purpose as a stockpile ammo. I'm not going to fan the argument any further than saying that, yes, Wolf and all the other cheap manus are inherently of lesser quality than domestic ammo. There's just no negotiating or arguing that. Its more of a "No Shit!" kind of argument.

But it serves its purpose well. It is a bulk buy, stockpile ammo good for the 95% of all shooting: Putting holes in cardboard and blasting dirt clots.

It can be used for defensive purposes, though not nearly as good as the specialty stuff that costs damn near $1/rd.

It can be used for precision shooting... actually no it cant, unless you're shooting at a tarp at 200yds. But is just as fun to watch the go go bang as the expensive stuff. (But honestly, if you want less expensive target ammo you'll 100% wind up handloading like the rest of us).

But again, the reason most people buy it is to have a sizeable stockpile if they were to ever need it, say in the situation another liberal becomes president and wants to ban it. That would be a logical reason to go out and buy 10,000 rounds of wolf.
>>
>>32827558

Nah, I have shot both Wolf and Barnaul brand ammo and pulled some apart. They had different bullets and powders in them.

Wolf buys ammo from whoever sells it the cheapest.

Barnaul ammo also goes through changes between lots. When you pull them apart sometimes there is ball powder in them, sometimes stick powder, the colour of the casings changes, sometimes they are lacquered and sometimes zinc plated etc. Here in Finland some lots were actually recalled because they were overpressure and blew up couple an ARs.

Currently I shoot mainly Chinese surplus because it was cheap when I got ~3.5k rounds of it has been far more consistent than new production Russian ammo.
>>
>>32827578
kek, I love when they caption “Marine infintryman and range coach so and so shooting his so and so”

>as if they don’t put the turds and retards on the ranges
>any retard could pass the asinine qualification procedure to stand on a firing line with a safari hat
>>
>>32828194
*infantryman
>>
>>32825178
Its fine. Perfectly decent poorfag plinker ammo. May not work in poorfag ARs or rifles with high quality barrels.
>>
>>32825258
because the average shooter fires 10,000 consecutive rounds during every range trip... how scientific of them, thanks for the info senpai
>>
>>32827533
So do PPU or S&B use that abrasive powder?
>>
>>32827297
Horseshit.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-18-shooting-wolf-steel-cased-ammo-in-an-ar15/

Note the lacquer buildup in the chamber, visibly adhering sticking to the sides of the brass cases. Note the torn-off case rims from the first attempts to extract them when the lacquer glued them in place.

Shoot steel case slavshit in slavshit guns which are designed for it. Shoot brass case ammo in guns designed for it. It's not rocket science.

Oh, and if you have an AR15 that actually cycles underloaded slavshit ammo? The gas port is oversized (a common feature "enhancement" by shit-tier AR parts makers in response to complaints from people who haven't figured out that steel case ammo doesn't meet the specs to run an AR in the first place) and will probably sooner or later crack the threaded receiver extension or damage the bolt hold open latch if you shoot real 5.56mm ammo that is within spec for the AR system.
>>
File: 1484707697178.jpg (57KB, 480x278px) Image search: [Google]
1484707697178.jpg
57KB, 480x278px
>>32825976
>Remington 700
>precision rifle
>>
>>32825307
6 or 7 in 1700 rounds? Knock on wood here but I've fired well over 4000 rounds of steel case ammo in my AKs in 5.45 and 762 (not even 7n6) and I haven't had a failure yet. That's a very high failure rate, are you sure it's not something else?
>>
>>32828611
Wait, I can't tell. Are you being retarded on purpose?
>>
>>32827542
>well the weapon would function noticeably different wouldn’t it?
yes. thats why on some ARs of less quality, Wolf sometimes fails to run reliably
>>
>>32828622
Maybe it's a really old one?
Remingshitton wasn't always garbage.
>>
>>32828808
Even 700s aren't all bad these days. They'll shoot straight out of the box with a decent grouping pretty reliably. The finish is trash though. The aftermarket is what keeps them alive but I still think 700s are good guns.

You better paint that bitch though it will rust. No matter what it will rust with the standard finish.
>>
>>32828836
My 700 has some imperfections.

Dinged crown, crooked plastic stock, bolt handle peening on the receiver (it has to be decently out of spec to fuck up a bolt action bad enough it peens).

I really just want to re-barrel it with a high quality 5.56x45 barrel and new bolt.
>>
>>32827607
>aside from caliber
>5.45x39

Also this pic is my profile pic on my PSN account and it triggers both weebs and armchair generals alike
>>
>>32828611
Actually AR-15s are pretty damn resilient to having enlarged gas ports. They just use the right buffer weights and springs. They work just fine, like every 16" barrel gun with a carbine length gas system.
>>
>>32825178
the gold in .223 shoots well. I've gone through over a thousand.

Had no problems with the steel 7.62x39 either.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.