[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>No /MEG/ well shit now I have to make a thread. Is it possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 25

File: 1424065329656.jpg (25KB, 307x270px) Image search: [Google]
1424065329656.jpg
25KB, 307x270px
>No /MEG/
well shit now I have to make a thread.

Is it possible to enlist in the reserve without ever doing active duty?
Can you still go to boot camp and get training in what you are interested in?
>>
>>32821364
Reserves are literally weekend warriors
That's how it is
>>
I'm a uni fag joining as an officer
What the fuck do I have in my future?
All I know about officers I know from fucking Star Trek
>>
>>32821433
Yea but can you be one, without being a full time warrior. Like if you want to join the military, but dont want to give up civilian life 100%.
>>
>>32821656
Yes. After your initial training you would begin to report to a reserve unit.
>>
Has anyone here ever direct commissioned into a basic branch in the army reserves? Or known anyone who has?
I'm thinking about trying to DC into MI when I'm sick of being active duty. Apparently it's possible.
>>
>>32821972
So lets say I want to join the army to learn how to be a mechanic.
You are telling me the military will train me for free, so long as I show up on every other weekend to fix stuff.
Do reserves get the GI bill and all the other stuff to?

Now I see why everyone calls the army welfare.
>>
>>32822073
Yes. The reserves are mostly great because you get really cheap healthcare (50/month as an individual and 200/month for a family regardless of how many kids).
If you want tuition benefits, you should be looking at the national guard. A lot of states will pay for your tuition at a state university in its entirety. You won't get the GI bill in either the guard or reserves until you've accumulated enough active duty time for it.
>>
>>32822119
>until you've accumulated enough active duty time for it.
By that, do you mean active active duty or active reserve duty?

I was brought up thinking joining the army meant you go be a grunt for 4 years, and then get out.
All this reserve stuff is all new to me.
>>
>>32822155
Active reserve duty. Deployments and such. I don't think initial entry training counts towards the GI bill in the guard/reserves, but anything afterwards should.
>>
>>32822189
Do reserves get to live/eat on base for free?
Are you able to re enlist after time is up?

Im still floored you can join the reserve and never serve active duty.
>>
>>32822220
>live/eat on base for free
You should get an allowance for that on drill weekends. You can be reimbursed for up to $300 for travel expenses too (mostly in the reserves, but some guard units may reimburse you as well). You of course can't live their permanently like you would if you were active duty.
Yes you can reenlist. But you might not want to.
Think about joining to be a helicopter pilot or something. Get the most out of that free training.
Intelligence is good too if you want a security clearance and/or foreign language training. Both of these can open up a lot of doors on the the civilian side.

Remember that you can still be deployed, which would interrupt your career and put you at risk for getting your head blown off.
>>
>>32822307
live there*
>>
>>32821619
What branch fuccboi?
>>
>>32822307
So if you can go 100% reserve.
Does that mean if you want active duty you can negotiate how long you are active?

I always thought it was 4 years or nothing. Could you only do a year if you wanted?

Also thank you this has been super informative.
>>
>>32822367
There's no way to get an active duty contract less than 3 years at the moment.
But there are some jobs that you can get in the guard/reserve that have really long training periods (1-2 years).
Like 35P/35M, the total length of training is like 2 years. You would essentially be active for those two years and then go back to your reserve unit after training.
>>
>>32822396
Can you stay on base and eat for free while in training?
That is pretty sweet even if not.
I'm just in a bad home situation right now and looking for a way out.

If you sign up as reserve, can you decide later that you want to go active?
>>
>>32822455
Yes.
No. Once you're reserve, you're stuck being reserve.
>>
>>32822614
>Once you're reserve, you're stuck being reserve.

That sucks.
Thank you very much.
>>
>>32822455
>>32822614
If you're debating between going reserve or active, go active from the start.
Also consider the officer route if you can qualify for it.
>>
>>32822650
>Also consider the officer route if you can qualify for it.
What are the qualifications?
I just thought you had to have a 4 year college degree to be an officer.
>>
/meg/ Military Enlistment Circlejerk

here's the late copy pasta Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
>>32822054

It's pretty much non-existent unless you're a lawyer or doctor. It's possible in the same way field commissions are. It basically hasn't happened since WW2.
>>
>>32823437
No, it definitely exists.
http://stayarmyreserve.army.mil/oa_preq.htm
https://www.rallypoint.com/answers/direct-commission-army-reserve-component-any-input
>>
>>32822455
>I'm just in a bad home situation right now and looking for a way out.

Go USAF and go active duty. Instant career with killer benefit package and you don't get treated like shit. It's hard to believe when you are young but twenty years flies by and then dat tasty retirement frees up the rest of your life like it did mine and countless AFbros.

Would do again. Disposable income, never feeling a Recession (they are normal and there will be more), fun travel (and now the Berlin Wall is long gone so you can be stationed in Europe and deploy to our newer NATObros for training), and fun jobs if you choose wisely.

Most of a career is spent at peace. Choose accordingly.
If a branch of service has to lower standards to get warm bodies, that changes the whole disciplinary and social structure. It also inflicts idiots on those of us who are smart and capable.

Career, career, career and never forget it. That said, Air National Guard and Reserves are very nice gigs with a shitload of experienced people. I would make that exception if you really don't want to go active, but I also suggest doing four years active duty first so you'll have your shit together and can then make your choice based on experience.
>>
Anyone USCG here?
>>
Does anyone know what it's like to be a Navy Gunner's Mate?
>>
I'm doing the asvab Thursday, wish me luck.
>>
>>32826452
Good luck. Just make sure you remember all the math formulas from high school and you'll do fine.
>>
>>32821364

How long does it typically take for the average person in the military to get to e-4?

Is BAH hard to get while single or does it just depend on where you're stationed?
>>
File: CgxG6i0WYAEyF7z.jpg (32KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
CgxG6i0WYAEyF7z.jpg
32KB, 600x430px
Do civvies and other branches look down upon the Air Force?
>>
>>32827243
Yes unless you're a pilot.
>>
>>32826950
Depends on branch and MOS.

You can enter as up to an E-4 in the army if you have bachelors but the marines only let you enter as an E-2.

Many marines never make it past E-3 in their first enlistment because their MOS is closed or they're a rifleman or whatever with a really high cutting score.

You won't be allowed to live off base when you're single until you're like an E-6. Don't know about BAH
>>
>>32827243
Even the air force knows it's the worst.
>>
>>32827261
>>32827284
What's the reason for it? They seem to operate under the "fight smarter, not harder" mentality from what I've seen.
>>
>>32827293
>"fight smarter, not harder"

is not seen as a good thing by some people
>>
>>32825691
How can I help friend?
>>
>>32821364
>Hey guise
>Too lazy to start a proper /meg/ thread
>Can I be a lazy ass fucktard and get full benefits

I don't have enough Wews for you lad.

No you spastic ass retard bitch, I wouldn't let you tickle my scrotum if it was your MOS.
>>
>>32827243
>Do civvies and other branches look down upon the Air Force?

Civilians? The ones who are always like "I was going to enlist but..."

As far as people in? Only the boots shit on the AF. The fuckin AF has a good life, and anyone who's been in any other branch (maybe the Navy not so much) knows it. Once you've been in for awhile, worked with AF people, eaten in AF chow halls, done TDY at AF installations etc. the thought of "I should have joined the Air Force" starts creeping in.
>>
Ive never considered military before, but looking i saw this

m.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/arts-and-media/musician.m.html#

Rundown on what id be doing besides playing? Do i get to learn gubs abd basic military shit too?

Btw im 29, accomplished bassist but didnt dont have a degree for it. Played with yoyo ma is my top credential
>>
>>32827576
You'll go through basic training with everyone else which includes a couple weeks of shooting guns and stuff but you won't go to infantry school. Non-combat MOSs go to their own individual job schools after basic. Once you're at your duty station and doing whatever shit musicians do all day you probably won't touch a weapon again unless you want to train on your free time.

I believe the band slots are pretty limited though and you have to audition for it rather than just sign up like most MOSs.
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
>>32827576
Understand you actually have to know your shit to get a musician job. From what I understand you need to know music theory and be really good at what you play.

You also have to pass a drug test. Just sayin.
>>
>>32827415
I didn't know if it was legitimate disdain or if it was just some of the wholesome brotherly jabs like the Navy all being gay, Marines being idiots, etc.
>>
>>32827576
Visit your local recruiter
>>
>>32827326
I've become very interested in ME. I'm given to understand the wait for the A school is a very long time, perhaps a couple of years. What I need to know is what I would be doing as a non-rate during time?
>>
My recruiter just bailed on me guys
>>
Will I get hazed in army boot camp (11B) if I'm a virgin?
>>
File: 1484854527737.png (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484854527737.png
77KB, 800x600px
>>32826185
Vet here
Its good in general but it really depends on what NEC you get.

>>32827293
>>32827306
Expect tey dont fight at all. They embrace the fat and women movement in the military. The airforce is extremely soft, like insanely soft. Its very easy living and working so it doesnt prune out the pussies.

>>32828613
Yep, theyll try to fuck your dick so you lose your virginity to them and that makes you gay for life.
MANY SUCH CASES!
>>
File: 1484652123923.gif (1MB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
1484652123923.gif
1MB, 500x533px
>>32821364
Bump
>>
File: 1460933636090.jpg (34KB, 552x553px) Image search: [Google]
1460933636090.jpg
34KB, 552x553px
>>32828815
But aren't they the most difficult branch to get into, and are on-par with the Navy as the most intellectually taxing?
>>
>>32830748
>But aren't they the most difficult branch to get into
Nah Coast guard is and the reason is cause no one gets out not because the standards are high. The AF is so easy to be in no one wants to leave which is the same reason the advancement is so slow.
>>
>>32830748
It's only "difficult" in that they require the cleanest records and highest asvab scores.
>>
>>32830892
How high we talking?
>>
>>32828359
why?
>>
>>32821364
so I wanted to be an aerial gunner, now i figure out its been folded into another mos, I want to do maintenance and shoot goat fuckers, not just maintenance

what are some other jobs where I get to fondle big guns in the air?.
>>
>tfw i already made friends with the autist who brought a knife to basic training
> tfw i already made friends with the stupid kid who doesn't know shit

Why do i attract autism man?
>>
>>32831100
The minimum asvab score for the air force is only one point higher than the navy, I don't get why people act like their scores need to be so much higher. Obviously to get into jobs that matter your asvab will need to be higher no matter what branch you join
>>
>>32831406
> brought a knife to basic

for what purpose?
>>
>>32831566
Cus hes an autistic "weapons expert" and i guess hes a fuckin edgelord who always carries a shitty tacticool knife
>>
>>32831566
>brought a knife to basic
I always carry I knife because I chew my fingers to the bone and can't open anything. Have to remember to leave it at home.
>>
>>32831624
>>32831657
>c-check it out guys, I brought my balisong
> flips in front of livid drill instructor until it bites him
>>
>>32831624
You can actually bring a knife to basic in the army?
>>
So...

It would be autistic to bring a pocket knife to basic?
>>
>>32831699
No and i don't think sarge oscal will be happy if he sees it
>>
>>32831735

Incredibly autistic.

Believe me, anon, you'll be glad that anything sharp is contraband once you see some of the mouthbreathers you will be sleeping next to.
>>
>>32827958
>I didn't know if it was legitimate disdain or if it was just some of the wholesome brotherly jabs like the Navy all being gay, Marines being idiots, etc.

No. The "Navy is all faggots" thing is partly bantz based on historically sailors being faggots of convenience, like prisoners. The Muuhrhrreeeeeenz are dumb comes from the cult like disposition.

People talk shit about the Air Force because they know the Air Force has a cushy life relative to the other branches regardless of MOS. And enlisted AF personnel are treated much better.

99% of the anons on /k/ who post about "lol chair force" are never has been civilians and teenagers trying to fit in.
>>
File: IMG_0308.jpg (215KB, 2048x1168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0308.jpg
215KB, 2048x1168px
> tfw sarge tells me it's ok if i'm tubby cus he'll make damn sure i can keep up with the physical training
> mfw i've been cross training for a year leading up to this
> tfw still singled out as the fat guy
>>
>>32825394
>It's hard to believe when you are young but
> twenty years flies by and then dat tasty
> retirement frees up the rest of your life like
>it did mine

My mom owns an H&R Block office and does taxes for people. A lot of vets retire at 20 years and collect their pension...and since they're only about 40, they get a second career doing something like being a corrections officer (or plenty of other state jobs), and then retire after 20 years of doing that. Two pensions for life, plus excellent benefits, and retiring a few years before other people get to? They call it "double dipping." Definitely a good way to get a comfortable retirement.

Another thing a lot of service guys do is buy a house wherever they're stationed. They get stationed somewhere else? Turn it over to a property management company to handle as a rental. You won't make much more than it costs to maintain the house and make the payments for it....but when you retire you not only have your pension, you have 4 or 5 houses to choose from to live in, the rest can be sold or continued to use as rentals, etc.
>>
>>32833392
Thank you anon.
>>
If you reclass from MI to something else (say aviator) in the Army, do they downgrade your TS clearance to a secret?
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png (75KB, 655x727px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE.png
75KB, 655x727px
I want to be a FT in the Navy
>Must be eligible for Top Secret Security Clearance
What the fuck does this mean? Just don't be on a watchlist?
>Moral turpitude offenses are generally disqualifying.
What does this mean?

Also after basic when you go to school how do they handle checking HDD or computer components? If I have an HDD with pic related and roughly ~50 gigs of torrented books will that be a problem? What about archived youtube videos?
>>
>>32833692
They're not gonna search your drives.

For a TS clearance you need:
- no sketchy foreign connections
- no questionable political involvement
- good finances
- nothing that would make you a blackmail risk
- pristine criminal record
They would interview you and everyone you know as well as dig through whatever records they can find.
Yes, not being on a watchlist would be a great thing.
>>
So I know the military gets paid today, but at what time roughly does it come in?
>>
>>32833731
- good finances
>no questionable political involvement
I founded the young republicans club at my highschool

What about being a poorfag but having no debts and a near flawless financial record with my bank? My balance went below the minimum balance once but I had it paid in a day.By poorfag I mean sub $400 to my name and living in my parents house at all times.

>They would interview you and everyone you know as well as dig through whatever records they can find.

I'm not involved at all in this process right?

I basically don't have any contacts at all.
>>
>>32833772
You'll have to fill out this longass form called the SF-86 where they'll ask you just about everything about your life (foreign trips, political involvement, certain health problems, criminal record, etc.). You will have to list some contacts on it: you have to list 3 personal references as well as people who knew you at each address you lived at (there are more too, like jobs you have to list managers, if you went to a university you have to list people who knew you there, etc.)

After that, an investigator goes in and reviews your submission to fill in any gaps and make verify things. They then submit their reviewed document to someone called an adjudicator who will make the final decision. If there are discrepancies, you will get called in front of the adjudicator to answer to them. For instance, if you indicated on the SF-86 that you've never used any drugs but someone that gets interviewed says you have, you'll be asked about that. Drug use you need to be consistent on in what you're answering. If on your enlistment docs you indicate you never used drugs, you can't then on your SF-86 indicate that you have since I believe your CoC is made aware of the contents of your SF-86. Don't get scared into lying about drug use, it is NOT disqualifying in and of itself as long as you are not currently using.

The biggest reasons people are denied clearances are financial and legal problems (as well as lying). Your financial situation sounds like it would be fine - they are mostly looking for huge debts that are not serviceable (makes you more apt to be bribed)
>>
>>32833772
>republican club
Nobody gives a shit.
>Poorfag no debts
You're fine.

And you need to provide at least 3 non-family contacts that you've known for a long time and also list every single address you've ever lived at and every employer you've had and provide a contact who can verify each of these. You cannot use the same contact more than once.
You'll need to list your high school/college academic counselors as well and their phone numbers.
>>
>>32833810
>You'll need to list your high school/college academic counselors as well and their phone numbers.
I didn't have to do that and I submitted an SF-86 a few months ago, unless I fucked up. I'm still in the OPM backlog
>>
>>32833810
>>32833821
I didn't need to submit names of counselors either.
>>
>>32833821
I remember a section specifically for that on mine ~9 months ago.
>>
I've been getting paid as an e1 in the army after getting to my unit for 8 months. I'm getting close to hitting a year so no back pay past that and my leadership has just given me constant variations of wait for it to be taken care of. What should I do?
>>
>>32833801
>For instance, if you indicated on the SF-86 that you've never used any drugs but someone that gets interviewed says you have, you'll be asked about that.

I've heard mixed things about this. If there's no kind of record of it (either with any kind of authority or a picture or something), it's kind of hard for them to prove it. I don't think the word of one individual saying you smoked pot with him once 3 years ago is going to be disqualifying, but I'm not an expert
>>
>>32833862
He shouldn't lie about it if he hasn't joined yet.
>>
>>32833883
Hi meps
>>
>>32833905
Well what do you want to have happen to that person? He lies about drug usage to get in and then has to lie about drug usage on his SF-86 because his CoC would see, OPM finds someone who says he's used before, clearance denied and CoC hears why and he gets put up for falsified enlistment.
>>
>>32825394
Would you reccomend helicopter gunner? How hard is it to get that job?
>>
>>32833810
>And you need to provide at least 3 non-family contacts that you've known for a long time

Fuck idk if I have 3 of those.

>and also list every single address you've ever lived at and every employer you've had

ez can do

and provide a contact who can verify each of these. You cannot use the same contact more than once.

What?

You'll need to list your high school/college academic counselors as well and their phone numbers.

I guess I can find these but I didn't ever really talk to my counselors. I've never been in a church group. I don't really know my neighbors who have been living next to me for years. Never did any extra activities in highschool except the fore mentioned club that didn't last very long. I have a couple good friends that I've kept from highschool who I know their families and such. No one has ever meant my employer but my family.

I also don't work enough to be legally filed as an employee on tax forms and have been getting payed under the table so I don't know if that's even a listable thing. Though I'll list it if I should. I might even straight up ask if I should list it because I don't want to lie about it. Its nothing shady I just work for a gas station for 6 hours a week.

I've never done drugs and I don't drink or smoke tabacco. I just don't go outside much, I figured that would make me good at being on a sub. I'm not anti-social either I get along fine with people and have never had a problem. I just don't really seek communal activities if I don't need to.
>>
>>32834074
Also regarding the people in each residence thing.

I'm not sure if I can find non family people that knew me from residences before the age of 10 I mean hopefully my parents can help with this. But my parents divorced when I was like 6 and we moved 3 times between then and the age of 11 though I stayed in the same school district.

My parents were/are kind of sort of alcoholics so I never really had friends over to my house except close friends. I went over to other peoples houses though.

This sounds like its going to be kind of difficult. I stayed in the same school districts my entire life though.
>>
>>32834074
Basically you have to list people who know who can verify that you have lived wherever you've lived and worked wherever you've worked. They can't overlap, or just be immediate family. When i filled out my sf86 i had to list personal references of people who've known me for like 7 years, people who could verify that I worked where I said I worked, and people who knew where i lived.

They'll also ask you to list your employment history and expect you to explain any gaps in it.

When I filled out my form I never had to list any school counselors, though I guess it might be ok to use them as a reference in some cases.

>>32834105
I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think you have to go that far back when filling out the form.
>>
File: sad.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
29KB, 633x758px
why is the OPM backlog so fucking long

been waiting for months now and I've heard nothing
>>
>>32834214
Took me 9 months for a secret
>>
At meps shipping out right now. Also as long as you don't have a record and say youve never done drugs you're probably gonna get a ts clearance
>>
>>32834371
yeah I feel like most people exaggerate a bit about the ability of the investigator to find that kinda stuff out if there's no record in order to push folks into admitting to things

Good luck m8
>>
>>32834371
They care more about your financial situation and foreign involvement
>>
>>32833764
Does anyone know this? I'm supposed to get paid today for the first time and am supposed to call my recruiter if I'm not. Not sure at what point it is clear that I wasn't paid.
>>
Going to MEPS in the next few hours. Got a hotel room and free dinner. What should I expect lads?
>>
>>32834627
They're gonna wake you up at like 3:30AM

If you're not an officer candidate you'll get a roommate prolly

Keep your head down at meps and do what you're told
>>
>>32834640
Thanks man. Sleep cycle is fucked so I only got about 3 hours. Headed to my recruiters office and gonna sit there till like 12. After that, headed to Tampa which is about a 2 hour drive from Orlando. Gonna check in at MEPS, (probably gonna take a few hours) and then head to the Hotel. I should be asleep pretty early tonight. 3:30? Do I get breakfast?
>>
How does the military change you in the way you think and behave?
>>
>>32834660
You'll get dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Drink lots of water in the morning and hold it in. You'll do some paperwork first but after that it's the drug test so you need to be able to piss. If you couldnt piss they will call you back 2 more times over the next hour or two. After 3 strikes you have to come back a different day. Then you have a standard physical and medical inspection. If you're lying about something, make sure you keep lying about it. They will try and get you to slip up. After the physical its more paperwork and talking to reps from your branch. Again, they will try their hardest to get you to disqualify yourself. Stick to the story you gave your recruiter and you'll get through it fine.

I just went like 2 weeks ago but it was 10pm curfew at hotel. Wakeup call at 4:15am. Downtairs for breakfast by 5am. On the shuttle by 5:40am. Got to MEPS at 6am. Finished and left MEPS at 3pm.
>>
>>32834708
You're more squared away. You become capable of solving problems without overreacting or losing your cool. Conversely, you learn not to overemphasize problems that don't matter by making mountains out of a molehill. You also learn that team unity is an extremely important and vital component of any successful operation.

In short, the military will not turn you into a robot. It will turn you into a physically fit, mentally matured, and composed individual who knows how to work well with a team.

Unless you're a Marine. Those guys never grow up.
>>
>>32833603
If that's what the position requires.

Your clearance is only your clearance into you leave the cleared position. The reason why contractors prefer to hire people "with clearances" is because a clearance is "good" for two years after you leave a cleared position. So they don't require a new SF86 and investigation that they have to pay for. After two years your clearance lapses.

So your clearance doesn't follow you from position to position. The security officer/S3 at your new unit has to reactivate it.
>>
My father is a Muslim immigrant from morocco and has like 12 brothers and sisters still there. He's been an American citizen for over 30 years. Will this affect me getting cleared for top secret clearance?
>>
File: Kris You Have To Kobach.png (203KB, 926x466px) Image search: [Google]
Kris You Have To Kobach.png
203KB, 926x466px
>>32836243
You have to go back.
>>
>>32836243
Most likely
>>
Alright /k/. Give it to me straight.

I've wanted to enlist in the military for little while now. But last year I dropped out of college due to what I can best describe as an episode of high anxiety. Saw a therapist for it, and it really helped. But no history of that happening prior. I was prescribed Lexapro by a doctor to help manage it but I stopped taking it after the first month because I felt better, and have absolutely been doing better since then.

Also the doctor said I described symptoms of ADD/ADHD, however I've never been formally diagnosed by any psychiatrist of a learning disability. But anyways, I was prescribed Adderall however I only ever took that once and never took it again. In my opinion, the "symptoms" I was describing were caused by my anxiety but as I said earlier I have gotten over it and have had no prior incidents or any incidents since then.

When I went to talk to my recruiter, I was told by a friend's father who was in the military for fifteen years to not say anything about it. I didn't but it isn't really sitting well with me.

So what I'm asking you guys is this: Is there any shot of me enlisting if I were to acquire the proper documents from my doctor or any psychiatrist clearing me of any doubts about my mental health? Should I come clean to my recruiter? Should I go to a new one and start the process over, but this time with total honesty from the beginning?

I know things are probably not in my favor but I don't think I've ever had a clearer path in my life. I don't think I'll make a career out of it but this is direction I want my life to take for the next few years.
>>
File: 1485416745274.png (11KB, 200x163px) Image search: [Google]
1485416745274.png
11KB, 200x163px
I'm not doing MEPS
>>
>>32837669
If it isn't on the books then you're fine. If you're currently on medication, be honest (I'm on 20 mg of Fluoxetine for Depression) and your recruiter will work with you. Especially if you've been proven not to be a threat to yourself or others.
>>
>>32838733
What did he mean by this
>>
Considering joining the USAF
How is the pay
Should i go to college before or after serving?
I want to work with the planes and helicopters and want to do engineering type stuff but idk much about engineering
>>
>>32839271
I just have to go across the street from the recruiter's office.
>>
>>32822054
Everyone eventually gets sick of AD, typically when they become a supervisor and have to deal with adult day care.

Carry this thought with you. Retirement is so insanely nice that it compensates for every shitty day on duty and then some. Pay off everything, get thy shit together, and when ya hit twenty (time flies the fuck by) a beautiful halo descends upon your brow because you can GTFO.

Most boring? 8-12 year mark. Most stressful? 18-20 year mark. Seems dat way with everybody.
>>
>>32833392
I did both those things and it's fucking wonderful. Meanwhile muh peers saw the Recession destroy their investments and have to work truckstop glory holes to get a hot meal.

I also enjoyed the fuck out of my career.
>>
File: 1394077470045.jpg (140KB, 437x368px) Image search: [Google]
1394077470045.jpg
140KB, 437x368px
So how does commissioning work?

You go to basic training/boot camp, then when you graduate you go to OCS?
>>
>>32833764
Your bank has to process the direct deposit so contact them or monitor your account online.
>>
>>32839486
For the Army yea

For the Navy and AF I don't think you do boot camp, same with Marines
>>
>>32833861
I'd go to your Accounting and Finance office and speak directly with someone. Bring any relevant records with you.

BTW save copies of everyfucking thing including LES. When I retired I had about twenty lbs of paperwork including hard copy medical records. Obsess on this and it will serve you well.

Leadership are kinda useless on Finance shit. Go direct.
>>
>>32839493
That guy was wrong anyway, pay comes tomorrow
>>
>>32833957
I wasn't a gunner (vision made applying for that unwise) but any enlisted aircrew position is profitable because shitload of TDY pay. Consider any and all aircrew positions.
>>
>>32835719
What he said.
>>
>>32836243
You can always try. Can you speak any Arabic?
>>
>>32839386
Pay and benefits leave plenty of disposable income. View them as a (often complex) package.

If you want to get into engineering, become an officer. If you want to understand aircraft instead of becoming another human sandbag with an engineering degree and no hand-on deep understanding of systems, work on them or be aircrew.

It's easy to do college after serving because you learn to learn efficiently. It's also cheaper and many vets turn a modest profit by taking a full courseload and getting tuition, BAH and Lottery money (in states that have it).
>>
>>32839151
I haven't been on any medication since the middle of last August, and I've never once gone in for a refill on any of my prescriptions. I'll get into the details with my recruiter and thanks. also one last question, how would I go about proving I'm not a danger to myself or others?
>>
>>32822054
>Has anyone here ever direct commissioned into a basic branch in the army reserves?

The chain of command is going to laugh you and your recruiter out of the unit area.

I watched it happen.

>Recruiter brings guy in to see about direct commission into reserve MI unit
>Acting 1sg of BN HHD asks how he expects to be a qualified leader with no experience or training as an officer, much less no MI training or experience
>Tells recruiter to get the fuck out, recruiter and guy who thought he was getting a direct commission leave while hanging their heads
>>
>reserve unit doing big training exercise
>like 3 or 4 generals walking around the post
>I guard a door for 12 hours every day
>>
I'm thinking about doing the german equivalent of Signal Intelligence Analyst (35N) for 4 or 4 1/2 years called Elektronischer Kampfführungsunteroffizier.
Is the MOS worth it?
>>
File: 1386403152480.jpg (45KB, 420x377px) Image search: [Google]
1386403152480.jpg
45KB, 420x377px
Are Marine boots the most insufferable people on this planet? Literally a goddamn cult.

These retards actually, unironically, think their basic training is on-par with Army Rangers.
>>
>>32841436
If I were to get fit and enlist should I do muhreen mp or rangers
>>
File: Marines not the elite force.png (12KB, 899x237px) Image search: [Google]
Marines not the elite force.png
12KB, 899x237px
>>32841580
Saved this from another thread. You might find it helpful.
>>
I'm a Navy Collegiate and have to report to my city's NOSC this weekend for a "quarterly collegiate meeting," but I haven't received any info on what exactly that entails. Does anyone know what happens at those?
>>
I'm an oldfag (25+) enlisting
How fucked am I?
>>
>>32842373
have fun in basic with a bunch of 18 year old retards fresh out of high school

t. was 18 when i went to basic in june last year
>>
>>32842400
I honestly hate 18 year olds
They're the wrong mix of immaturity and delusions of maturity
I've been jerking off longer than they've been alive
And that pisses me off
>>
Motherfucking navy is lucky. Air force gets all the shit and it just bypasses them.
>>
>>32842690
>Navy doesn't get any shit
I guess it's true then that it ain't gay if you're underway
>>
>>32839584
No i don't speak any Arabic. I've never been very interested in his side of the family. I've only visited the country to meet his family once, when i was 6.
>>
>>32833100
>regardless of MOS

Try being a fucking mantainer and tell me if thats true you fucking army stub. If you are even in the army. Judging by whats been said in this thread most of you guys dont know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>MEPS evaluation in a week
>Put on the form that I didnt have allergies and didnt take any medication (I take over the counters for allergies)
>Not realistically going to go to basic without said OTC allergy medication without bein a mess
What the fuck do I tell them? Am I boned?
>>
File: 1432863816421.jpg (51KB, 399x582px) Image search: [Google]
1432863816421.jpg
51KB, 399x582px
I take a mild Prozac to help with my anxiety. I have no history of harming myself or others. Will this disqualify me from enlisting?
>>
>>32844696
I should also note that I've been cleared by my doctor for the past few years and that he has explicitly informed me that I don't need the Prozac, but I just take it because I don't want to risk anything.
>>
File: 5bb.gif (640KB, 200x157px) Image search: [Google]
5bb.gif
640KB, 200x157px
>>32844634
>>
Is it possible to reenlist active to another branch after my reserve contract is up?
>>
Current stats for PST

swim 12:20
push 54
pull lmao5
sit 73
run 1020

Time til PST 1.5weeks

Swim progression is terrible, considering just doing breaststroke only to actually atleast pass, hopefully if I pass the minimum I can get a mentor to teach me how to actually swim properly.
Pull is terrible, but should meet minimum standard + 1-2 by time of PST
Push progression is going great and am most likely going to reach mid 60s by time of PST, similar situation for run,

After first PST I only have one month to qualify for a nsw contract; will update periodically whenever I feel. Looking to pass the entire thing at the very least to take CSORT.
>>
>>32845274

Depends on the recruiting environment. Usually yes, but you may lose rank or have a limited job choice.
>>
>>32845274
What >>32845566 said + depends on what job you had previously and yearly quotas.

The exception to this if i recall correctly are spec ops jobs, those are available all the time to any prior enlistees provided you can meet the requirements, the only hook being that the contract they provide is ONLY for that job, meaning if you fail out you're out entirely.

They'll usually have screeners for them like the Navy PST or the AirForce PAST and so on.
>>
>>32844696
What MEPS doesn't know won't hurt em...
>>
>>32844634
What allergies? Like pollen? I had gotten over my pollen allergies, but something about Missouri got to me. Maybe it's a new environment, I dunno...

Point is, you have the option to go to self care (just don't abuse it). You'll be able to pick up cough drops, allergy pills, etc.
>>
>>32821619
If army, expect to get called a butter bar if you're O-1. Don't belittle guys who have more experience just because your pay grade is higher. Expect to have some command duties.
>>
Say I become a pilot for the USAF. If I do well, I'm probably going to be flying a F-22/F-35 and not any older airframe, right?
>>
>>32845566
>>32845587
I have this crazy plan of using he reserves to go and get a degree while in then attempting to go active with the degree on my side.

My contract is 6 years in the AFR so I don't know how I will feel in 6 years. The reason I didn't go active now is because my wife is preggers.

How easy are Intel jobs to get l? I scored pretty high on the asvab and I would like to study a foreign language.
>>
>>32845782
Not sure about officers but enlisted generally don't get approved nowadays to go from reserve to active.

Then again if another war pops up in the near future this can always change.

As for intel jobs theyre fairly easy to get, if your asvab scores are fine then the only thing that could stop you is past debts/criminal records/nationality--depends on TS or regular Sec

I got rejected on the basis of nationality and such, plus the fact that the guys at MEPS didn't really wanna handle the paperwork since my circumstance is a bit strange and whatnot.

Ended up getting a 'better' job anyways later down the line so I'm not too salty.
>>
>>32845834
I would try to reup as an officer for sure. I don't have a lot of debt, I'm a US citizen of French Canadian decent and I've never been in trouble with the law. I scored an 89 on the asvab.

If Intel isn't an option I would try for a cyber field.
>>
>>32845636
Pollens and cats yeah
>>
>>32842930
>Try being a fucking mantainer and tell me if thats true you fucking army stub.

I'll think about this when I finish eating some rotten food at the DFAC and go back to my Vietnam era barracks.

>If you are even in the army.
ETS'd in 2012.
>>
>>32845782
>I have this crazy plan of using he reserves to go and get a degree while in then attempting to go active with the degree on my side.

It is crazy. Because it's probably not going to happen.

If you do SMP while you're in school (you're a member of a reserve or guard unit while in ROTC) then you might still be able to commission to active duty but I'm not entirely sure. If you try to go that route you will have to be competitive compared to your peers if you want a specific CMF and active duty.
>>
How innexcusavle is it to not know how to swim properly as an army boot? I can keep my head above water if I fall in a pool by paddling but I never learned to tread water or do proper swim techniques
>>
>>32845969
I understand it probably won't happen but I want to try.

I don't think the AF has a SMP.

How does one be competitive without seeming like a tryhard douchebag?
>>
>>32825394
Its almost like you forgot 20 years is a long time.
>>
>>32845612
What is the general rule of thumb regarding things, specifically med history, that the military can see? What is and is not "on the books", so to speak?
>>
>Go enlisted as intel
>Get my degree while I'm in
>Go officer, preferably in SOF
>Get a doctorate of any kind while I'm in
>Put in a packet for the Foreign Service and downshift to the the reserves while I'm a Major for a sweet bump in pay and that cushy diplomatic life

Your plan isn't as smooth as mine, whatever it may be.
>>
>>32821619
If you are a bro: duty, hardship, and the immeasurable weight of being responsible for the physical and psychological well being of a lot of other human beings.

If you are a cunt: same as above to a lesser degree and the knowledge that you are a faggot.
>>
>>32821364
Hey guys I'm going to have my visual acuity test soon. How bad does my eyes have to be to not be eligible in a combat role position?
>>
File: 1362240082414.jpg (93KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1362240082414.jpg
93KB, 600x600px
>>32847662
>Get Bachelor's
>Commission as Officer
>Loan forgiveness and Uncle Sam paying for my Master's

Better hope a war doesn't break out, friend.
>>
>>32847715

I'm cool with that. I'm not serving because I'm bitch made, a medical or law degree is more money faster.
>>
>>32842373
It will be odd having a bunch of kids around you while you are getting yelled at by someone not much older than you. Just try to blend in as best you can, don't be the worst or best at anything. Basic is such a short shit in your military career
>>
>>32847703

Depends on which combat role. Also certain types of surgery are allowed as long as it's DoD approved.
>>
>tfw leaving to navy basic in 5 days

Besides rank and recognition, general orders, sailors creed, and it's not gay if it's underway what else should I know beforehand?
>>
>>32848359

Prepare yourself to deal with a rodeo of stupid 18-22 year olds who leave the service as soon as they wise up, or get some rank and have to manage the circus.

Someone is about to tell you that junior enlisted aren't that bad. They are lying. Junior enlisted are stupid as fuck. It's like somebody gave your high school class guns and a pay check.
>>
>>32848359
Do not lean on fucking ANYTHING. Do not say anything to your RDC that is not "Yes, Chief" or "No, Chief." Do not volunteer yourself, try to blend in. When you are called upon speak loudly and with confidence, even if you think you may be incorrect. In the military it's better to be confident and wrong than meek and correct.
>>
>>32848359
The only question that matters is what rate did you choose?
>>
Oy lads, I got a question.

So I started doing Crunches January 7th. I did it consistently, starting at a max set of 10. I did 100 daily. I eventually am able to do 34 max set in 2 minutes. If I continue to work my core daily, would I be able to do around 50~ be next Tuesday?
>>
>>32847662

MAJ pay shits all over FSO pay, anon.
>>
>>32848871

What in the flying fuck are you talking about?

>FSO pay, Grade 4 Step 11: $87512 (6 years experience)
>O-4 Pay: ~$73,000 (6+ years)

The FSO also draws higher bonuses, including BAH at or equal to O-4 BAH and larger danger, hardship, and cost of living adjustments.

Did you pull that assumption out of your ass?
>>
>>32848871
>>32848906

Also those are just the base salary numbers, the FSO makes even more in bonus money than the O-4. You have to hit O-5 or O-6 to match that, which bumps you up to FS Grade 4 step 14 pay.
>>
>>32847662
Have fun flying back to the States every month to drill if you're stationed overseas in the reserve. You don't make money.
>>
>>32849037

Actually you can typically drill with the DSS special agents on base or drill at a local base if you're stationed somewhere where we have bases.

>Source: literally one search of the State Department's website asking about military reserve obligations

>You don't make money.

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>32847662

Dad was an officer-turned-foreign service. He said the only thing that made it worthwhile financially was the fact that we all got free schooling overseas. Without kids, he would have stayed as an officer until retirement for that sweet sweet pension.
>>
>>32849103

Dude.

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/266594.pdf

There are three steps to determining your Foreign Service pay.

1. Education and/or experience

With a doctorate of any kind and/or requisite experience you start at Grade 4 step 5.

2. Experience bump

Go up a step for every year of relevant experience. That's probably at least step 11 if you're a major.

3. Salary matching

You making more before the transition? They bump you up as high in the steps within the grade as they have to in order to match you. That's step 14, which is 95,000+. Check the overseas comparability table in the link.

Then you get into danger pay, hardship pay, cost of living adjustment pay, and BAH, which is typically higher than what most officers make.

http://militarybenefits.info/2017-military-pay-charts/

You literally have to be pulling O-6 pay or have more than a decade as an officer to be losing out on base salary, and to be losing out on bonuses takes a bit more. I don't know how things stacked up when your dad made the transition, but that's not how it works today.

I mean fuck, a Colonel with 20 years is make about 120k base salary, and an FSO at Grade 4 Step 14 is making 95k starting. That's a 25k loss in base salary, but if you're going that road the 60k military pension more than makes up for the difference.

Why are there so many people shilling against the Foreign Service with no fucking facts to cite?
>>
File: 1389633258618.gif (2MB, 390x300px) Image search: [Google]
1389633258618.gif
2MB, 390x300px
If I get a Bachelor's degree and then commission, will they both forgive the loans I needed to take for my Bachelor's AND pay for my future schooling, or is it just one or the other?
>>
>>32849162

I'm a GS civilian and in my experience "salary matching" when it comes to military only actually matches your base pay. That's kind of shit when base pay is such a small part of overall compensation. When I was in the military, my base pay was maybe 60 % of my take-home, if someone had told me they'd match it I would have told them to fuck off.

I just took a look at the LQA chart too and it's less than BAH for sure in most countries. Maybe if you're somewhere awesome like Sydney it's more than a mid-career officer gets.

As someone who has done both the military and federal civilian thing, I think you just don't know what you're talking about desu.
>>
Is Signal Intelligence Analyst (35N) as MOS worth it or should I choose something else?
>>
>>32849180

Depends in how you commission, generally there will be separate service obligations for loan repayment and acquiring the GI Bill, so you would have to serve longer in order to earn the GI Bill if they're paying for your first degree as well.

The GI Bill isn't the only way to get the military to pay for education though.
>>
>>32849249

Do you enjoy riding a desk and want to start a career in intelligence? If so, it's one of the better choices.
>>
>>32849244

>I'm a GS civilian and in my experience "salary matching" when it comes to military only actually matches your base pay

That's what I'm comparing, yes.

>When I was in the military, my base pay was maybe 60 % of my take-home, if someone had told me they'd match it I would have told them to fuck off.

Have you even LOOKED at what kind of bonuses FSOs get? They are directly comparable or higher to what a military officer gets. You can even look up how they are calculated right on the tables on the website.

>I just took a look at the LQA chart too and it's less than BAH for sure in most countries.

I looked them up for the UK. LQA is ~42% spendable income, which is compared to about 36k BAH. That is a gap if you aren't a mid-level officer, but COLA is way fucking higher along with base salary.
>>
>>32849304

Wait, I fucked that all up. Housing is... 59,400 for a single person. I was looking at the percentages for fucking COLA equivalent, which is spendable income in London.

https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/lqa.asp?PostCode=10219&EffectiveDate=20170122

If you want Lakenheath instead of London, since that's where the Air Force is in the UK, then you've got

https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/lqa.asp?PostCode=11559&EffectiveDate=20170122

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdcgi/cola-oha/ohasrch3.cgi

Well I fucked up.

LQA for FSO: $37,200
OHA for O-4: ~$33,000 because I don't wanna multiply by 12 after adding all that shit so I'm high balling it

Shit, FSO comes out ahead. I fucked that first calculation all up by using 42% spendable income as BAH. Here's what COLA vs spendable income looks like at Lakenheath.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdcgi/cola-oha/o_cola4.cgi
https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/location_action.asp?MenuHide=1&CountryCode=1114

COLA for O-4: Under 3k, I really don't wanna do too much mental math.
Spendable Income for FSO: 10% of base salary at Lakenheath, which is 8,700-9,500. 42% at London, but that's offset by higher cost of living.
>>
>>32849244
>>32849443

Basically the long and short of it is this: FSOs starting at Grade 4 have a higher base salary until you get to the level of O-5 or O-6 or have well over a decade in the service. Their equivalent bonuses are also higher.
>>
>>32849443

So how does the comparison shake out if you get a shithole assignment like Afghanistan instead of a nice first-world country?
>>
>>32849516

Same, except flip-flop spendable income with danger pay.

https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/danger_pay_all.asp

In Kabul that's 35% according to that table. That's over 33k if you're at Grade 4, step 14, still about 30k if you're talking about Grade 4, step 11. Also that's tax free. Not sure if warzone tax exclusions apply to FSOs though, I think it does.
>>
>>32849516
>>32849544

Plus there is hardship pay. In the military I think that caps at about 150 per month last I checked.

https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/hardship.asp

Looks like it's another 35%. That's a total of 70% extra pay combining danger and hardship pay for being stationed in Afghanistan. If your base pay is 95k then that's 66.5k plus housing and living expenses paid.

That's ~162k per year that you'd be banking in fucking Afghanistan. I mean shit.
>>
>>32849620

Wait, no. I took that out of base salary and not spendable income. Goddamn, I should not be doing math drunk.

That final number is about 120k plus housing etc. That 42% for a London posting is just shy of 15k.

Christ, I'm drunk. The numbers still come out, but it's not as huge a differential.

tl;dr: I'm crunk but the numbers still favor FSO if you have a PhD and prior service.
>>
Hi, this is a really specific question but I also don't know where else to ask it.

Obviously, not knowing what I know now, one time on the phone I told the army recruiter that I was a pot head and I did acid once, he said I was disqualified, promptly said goodbyes and ended the phonecall and they never called back pestering me like they used to. Am I on a blacklist or something now or is it just coincidence, like I think my ASVAB I took in highschool expired around that time too? Just wanna know if I can tell those sweet little lies and enlist.
>>
>>32834214
Its not a backlog, they are just fucking lazy.

Back when i worked S2 for army, i gave them 30 days before i called to ask for a clearances status.

Investigators have deadlines of when they have to complete an investigation which is 1-2 weeks of info gathering. Then another few days to finalize report and send determination. Now, once they complete their report their is no deadline on when they have to update the system. So most investigators let it sit on a desk since its all data entry type work at that point. And instead take on another name to get out of office.

Its a real shit show. And it doesnt help that 80% of investigators have zero military knowledge, and bitch about current servicemembers not being able to show up to interviews.

For my second SSBI reinvestigation, the agent wanted me to drive 3 hours away to some navy base to do an interview. I told him no, and to come to my base and he can use our interviewer room at our office. He said it was too far and that he had to pick his kids up from school. I ended up calling his ASAC and i got a new agent handling my investigation.

Its a real shit show at OPM, its even worse when they contract the investigations out to a CACI investigator.
>>
>>32850196

>Its not a backlog, they are just fucking lazy.

Last I heard they're still working off the backlog from the 2015 breach. Clearance investigations ground to a halt for months, that takes a lot to work to catch up from.
>>
So my date of enlistment is mid December and I got paid for the first time today, but the amount seems to be for only part of the last month and also doesn't include a bonus which I am entitled to. How do I go about getting my backpay and bonus?
>>
>>32850196
The people I listed as personal references said no one's talked to them and I submitted my SF-86 like 3 months ago so I guess they just haven't done shit yet
>>
future army ranger here ask me anything before I ship to basic
>>
>>32850406
>future army ranger
oh boy
>before I ship to basic
You dont know anything yet you dumb faggot
>>
File: IMG_1324.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1324.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>32849953
Please respond
>>
>>32850406

>future army ranger here

Have fun in airborne.
>>
>>32850593
yes I do I've read sua sponte and watched the rasp documentary it looks pretty easy
>>
>>32850676
>>32849953

>pothead

Unless you're on record for it you fucked up, but that was recoverable.

>admitted to doing acid once

You're dq'd you stupid fuck. They keep you in a system and idk when it clears.
>>
>>32850709

>bait this low brow

As expected from the army.
>>
>>32850725
what are you talking about
>>
>commissioned in may
>just had first flight of IFS today
>literally no idea what the fuck I'm doing

I was supposed to keep an altitude of 2500. No matter what I did, I kept rising up to 2600. I could keep 2600 easy, but staying at 2500ft was impossible. Was supposed to keep a heading of 130, kept letting it slide to 150.

How the fuck are you supposed to fly on the proper heading, at the right altitude, while level, and also do all the radio shit?

I'm going to be a terrible pilot aren't I?
>>
>>32850709
Horrible post friend
>>
>>32850710
different guy here.

Hold on, I thought if you were honest and consistent about drug use, and hadn't touched the stuff in years, you're good to go. Am I wrong? Always heard "be honest about what you did so they won't hear it from one of your friends."
>>
>>32847662
you're a low-life shitbag
>>
>>32847662
>Your plan isn't as smooth as mine, whatever it may be.

LOL He thinks his plans before he has even been to fucking boot are concrete!

Laugh at this faggot!

You're making a whole lot of assumptions here.

1. That you're going to make it out of the school house
2. That you will have time to get a degree that's worth anything while you're in
3. That you would make it in SOF
4. That you're going to get into a decent doctorate program while you're on active duty in SOF
5. That you're going to get into the State Department as an FSO because you haven't even taken the Foreign Service Exam yet
Here's your first free lesson high speed: hit the 25m target first you cock succ.
>>
>>32851264

Lolno. About pot yes, but about literally anything else you lie like a dog when it comes to the military. The CIA only cares about the last six months. Everything else varies.
>>
>>32850382
1. You don't get all of your bonus at once
2. You don't see any of it until you finish your a school or whatever is specified on your contract
>>32850405
I didn't hear anything from an interviewer for 6 months and none of the contacts I listed were ever called
>>
>>32851427

>he isn't a literal god among men who knows that he can do these things
>>
>>32851518
Ok, so what happens when you get to the school house for your MOS and you're not a good fit? What if it turns out you actually hate your MOS?

I met plenty of people in the 35CMF when I was in (I was MI in the Army) who hated their MOS.

So let's say you do end up getting out of the school house at Huachuca. You now have at least four years for your mind to change (and it's going to) about what you actually want to do.

So then let's say you're still on the same and you're in. You decide to apply for a military friendly online school. You're going to take longer than the 4 years to finish.

Let's say you do finish your degree. You get out. You decide to go to OCS. What if you don't get past the board?

Let's say you get past the board, what happens when they don't offer the CMF you want? You get there and it turns out the needs of the Army are Supply, Admin, and Signals officers.

You decide to drop a packet for RASP 2. What happens if you don't make it? What happens if you just don't fit into the Ranger culture?

Okay, so you decide to drop a packet for SFAS. What happens if you just don't get picked? You drop a second packet. What happens if you don't get selected again? You can just not get selected even if you are the best guy physically at SFAS.

What happens if you fail the Foreign Service Exam? It's not easy.

You're ignoring a lot of potential points of failure in your "plan". And it's because you are planning way to far ahead when it comes to the military. Semper Gumby.
>>
>>32851514
I'm signed as a NUPOC and my understanding was the bonus came immediately and then if I didn't pass power school I'd owe it back. I'm guessing they amortize the bonus over some time period?
>>
>>32830875
How do you get into the coast Guard?
>>
>>32851658

I've met plenty of people who hated their jobs.

So let's say you do end up putting on your pants in the morning. You have at least 15 minutes before work to change your pants, and your mind, about what you actually want to wear.

So let's say you're still on the same and you're in. You decide to stop for coffee at Starbucks. You're going to take longer than 15 mins to finish.

Let's say you get coffee. You get out. You decide that you want donuts. What if you don't get past the door?

Let's say you get past the door, what happens when they don't offer the donuts you want? You get there and it turns out the needs of store are Plain Cake, Eclairs, and Lemon glazed.

You decide to drop a packet for a McMuffin. What happens if you don't make it? What happens if you just don't fit into McDonald's culture?

Okay, so you decide to drop by for a sauce packet from Taco Bell. What happens if you just don't get picked? You drop in for a second packet. What happens if you don't get selected again? You can just not get selected even if you are the best guy physically at the counter.

What happens if you fail to clock in at work? It's not easy.

You're ignoring a lot of potential points of failure in your "plan". And it's because you are planning way to far ahead when it comes to getting up and going to work. Semper Harambe.
>>
>>32851800

Okay, I'll see you in 20 years when you're on a walk only profile for the APFT, you're a 92A, and you fail the foreign service exam. ;)
>>
>>32851861
Or more likely 5 years, ETS'd, working at Best Buy while working on a Criminal Justice """"""""""degree"""""""""".
>>
>>32847662

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work.

I just did the first two things and then picked up a contractor job making $140k at the age of 24.
>>
Let's say I have my sights set on being an MP. Army or Marines?
>>
>>32852352
Marine, since you're stupid enough to think thats a good idea.
>>
Taking the plunge to talk to a recruiter at the 20th SFG. 24 years old, bachelor degree in International Relations.
Anyone have any experience with NG SF?
>>
>>32852918
Thats crazy, I plan on talking to the 20th SFG recruiter tomorrow. Theyre up in roanoke NC now.I wanted to go 18xray but im not 20, and dont want to sign on only to have my packet denied for 18x. Im looking for any type of way around it
>>
>>32848466
Nuke, which I know is a meme but I did research for a really long time and decided I was in.
>>
>>32841708
What's the point of still paying the muh reens?
>>
>>32851723
Yeah guys, what are the requirements for getting into the coast Guard?
>>
>>32847469
pls respone
>>
>>32853843
Whatever is in your medical records, and whatever an FBI background check can dig up, i'd imagine. Thats what I've been told anyways
>>
>>32828157
You'll be getting qualified to do duties. Before you're qualified you'll be cleaning and painting. Try to get on a cutter. Try and get qualified for BTM. And pick a less shit rate.
>>
>>32841580
Rangers. Marines are weirdly proud of how terrible the job is.
>>
what will i be doing for HHC? some S2 shit? I'm in intel and airborne, why would they send me to this bullshit? all my battles got group and i got special operations support, explain this shit
>>
>>32853976
What's your specific MOS?

Also yeah you'll probably be in the S2.
>>
Why are drugs a disqualifier for security clearance? And specifically active use?
>>
>>32854918
Potentially all drugs can disqualify you from service in general, let alone a security clearance. If they decide that your use of drugs is a problem that may affect you in the future you're not getting a clearance. For example a long history of drug abuse might disqualify you from joining in general, depending on how lenient they're being with waivers. At the moment, the military can pretty much be as selective as they want.

If you have never gotten in trouble with the law for using drugs, as far as the military is concerned you've never seen a drug in your life.
>>
>>32854918
Gee I wonder why
>>
>>32855145
>>32855235
That's not per se my question, I know that they disqualify and I don't do them. My question is WHY are they disqualifying? Are they seen as a character fault? I don't see how a guy smoking pot makes him more apt to leak secrets.
>>
File: o-HOMER-SIMPSON-FOOD-facebook[1].jpg (142KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-HOMER-SIMPSON-FOOD-facebook[1].jpg
142KB, 2000x1000px
What can/should you bring to boot camp?
Deck of cards?
Extra towel?
Jug of protein powder?
Laptop?
>>
>>32855275
>My question is WHY are they disqualifying?
Because drug use is illegal (or at least it use to be).
It does not matter what your opinion on the subject is. It's a crime.
>>
>>32855424
What branch? Navy you can't bring jack shit
>>
>>32855275
Well for one it's still illegal. Also yes it is seen as a character fault. The military also doesn't want people who have a history of using drugs operating their shit.
>>
Shipping out to Dam Nek in two weeks.
>>
>>32855452
>>32855994
thank you, that's what I figured
>>
>>32855424
>What can/should you bring to boot camp?
>Deck of cards?
>Extra towel?
>Jug of protein powder?
>Laptop?
You should 100% bring your laptop.
>>
File: 1435994360193.png (41KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1435994360193.png
41KB, 203x209px
>>32856540
yeah they'll let you use it in the late evenings, for sure bring it
>>
>>32851427

On the topic of the foreign service the exam is pretty easy if you aren't a paint-eating retard. I've just lost on the 2nd stage where you have personal narratives based on 5 experiences that show your leadership/management/communication/research-academic skills and then one that is why you wanted to pursue the position you were aiming for.

There's no clear cut metric for it so you can't really tell how close or how far you were from passing it. But I'm not surprised I didn't pass it since I'm still a fresh-faced bachelors grad. Will try again with a masters and more job experience under my belt.

I do agree though with folks urging you to not expect it to go smooth and perfect sailing. Life doesnt' tend to work out that way.
>>
>>32854534
signals
>>
File: 1485118554642.jpg (78KB, 750x610px) Image search: [Google]
1485118554642.jpg
78KB, 750x610px
>>32853676
Mistake

>>32851723
>>32853799
Step 1 is google it
>>
>>32853676
OHHH NOW YOU FUCKED UP
NOW YOU FUCKED UP
YOU HAVE FUCKED UP NOW
>>
>>32821619
Go enlisted first and then commission later on.As a fresh out of college LT, you are completely useless and will have no clue what you are doing. Get a year or two of enlisted time under your belt and you be an infinitely better officer.
>>
>>32822119
>MGI Select Reserve is a thing
>>
>>32822455
>If you sign up as reserve, can you decide later that you want to go active?
That depends if Active Duty is taking prior service at the time. Many people have done it but entirely depends on time in service, MOS availability and if they are even taking anyone at the moment. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.
>>
>>32822054
I haven't personally but my old PL direct commissioned an an MP officer. He was also an E7 with an MBA and 3 previous combat deployments. This was in the Guard but it's extremely rare in any branch to direct commission unless it's medical.
>>
Finished meps yesterday. Won't go into it because everyone in here probably knows how it goes down. Got a picket fence and passed. Just gotta take care of my legal stuff and then i'm swearing in.

Hopefully that's the last time i'll have to spread my asshole for another man.
>>
Anyone who wants SF, dont get a fucking 18 x ray. Your shit will get denied no matter how much of a PT stud you are.

Get an option 40, make it through RASP, wait a few years and then drop a packet for SF.
>>
>>32855145

What's the deal with sertraline (anti-depressing sort of stuff)? I always see that it's a disqualifier and you have to be off of it for a year beforehand (and have the doctor confirm you ect). Is this still applicable for the reserves/national guard regardless of which branch and even if going in aiming for POG of POG roles?
>>
>>32857520
truth, infantry first then submit a packet. get used to the army first or you'll fail the first time around
>>
>>32856857
35N?

>>32856587
>I do agree though with folks urging you to not expect it to go smooth and perfect sailing. Life doesnt' tend to work out that way.

That was my entire point to the anon. Now multiply this by 100 because of the military.

>>32857520
Alternatively go to Natty Guard 19 and 20 group and get a REP63 contract. They won't send you to SFAS until they are 99% sure you'll get selected. You'll still go to SOPC first because everyone does, but you'll also be doing "SOPC" every drill weekend before you leave.
>>
>>32858081
yes November
>>
Can they see your medical records for a TS clearance? Do they call past doctors?
>>
Daily reminder that drug testing for TS and general enlistment is racist
>>
>>32860690
It's just a retard filter to see who actually shows up to meps with drugs in their system
>>
File: 1463190711745.png (217KB, 424x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463190711745.png
217KB, 424x480px
>>32860961
>tfw I used crank a few months ago
>>
My hands and feet are sweaty as fuck all the time (no treatments work)
Can I be an infantryman or will this make things difficult?
>>
Do they hair test you or just piss test you?
>>
>>32861451
Piss
>>
>>32861494

They really are only trying to catch the stupid ones then.
>>
Just curious how much you get paid in US for getting killed during operation?
>>
>>32861555

iirc about 100k is the insurance payout.
>>
>>32861580
Interesting, Finland pays double that.
I guess all larger militaries pay less, I think France pay 100k too.
>>
>>32861599

Finland also probably taxes way more of it and pays out less though.
>>
>>32861613
It's tax free.
>>
>>32861555

It's 100k~ up-front, and usually another 400k~ from life insurance. There's also a bunch of fringe benefits like any dependents you have getting free college if you die.
>>
>>32861658
I would hope so. The basic company provided plan at my shitty office job is $150k
>>
>>32861011
And? It doesn't stay in your system that long
>>
>>32858899
You would have gone there anyway. Your MOS is literally sitting at a computer looking through SIGINT collections and creating tearlines to send to the all source analysis cell in the 2 shop.
>>
>>32861613
>>32861599
>>32861555

The standard SGLI (life insurance) is $400,000. You can opt in to pay for $800,000 of coverage.
>>
>>32863212

>Hello, this is.... Ronaldo Stephano.
>My cousin Ron Stevens was killed by an IED in Iraq, they totally found his dogtags and stuff
>I would like $800,000 please
>>
I only have one piece of advice for those looking to join. Don't go 15W.
>>
If I do the first term airman retraining program I don't have to commit to another year or two upfront, right?
>>
Why is it just nuke that gets referred to as a meme? Aren't there other rates and mos that are difficult as well?
>>
>>32864426

Nuke isn't the most difficult job, it just has the perfect mix of shittiness and recruiter desperation to make it a meme.

Truly good jobs the recruiter won't tell you about because they're easy as fuck to fill. Jobs that everyone knows are obviously garbage they know better than to bullshit people on.

Recruiters sell nuke really hard because it's difficult to keep people in the job and relatively easy to meme nerdy teenagers into thinking they're going to be rich nuclear engineers.
>>
Might be joining the Muh-greens soon.
So do I get to pick my MOS field before MEPS?
I heard you swear-in and then a couple weeks later you pick the field.
>>
>>32826950
>>32827262
like anon said
it depends on Branch and MOS
in my unit we had marines who's MOS school was so long, and who's cutting score was so low they were Cpl (E4) before they even hit the fleet
>>
>>32864426
1. It's hard to find qualified people to do it and
2. people don't stay in the rate because there's better shit to do outside of the navy. That's why recruiters are always pushing so hard for people who may be qualified to do it, a nuke counts as two people recruited
>>
>>32863197
sweet. airborne for nothing
>>
>>32867472

99% of Airborne is Airborne for no reason, anon.

You know how many combat jumps there have been in the last few decades?

You went to Airborne school for tradishun and promotion points, just make peace with that now.
>>
>>32861079
bls resbond
By sweaty as fuck I mean constantly clammy, not dripping
>>
>>32863295
It doesn't work that way. The service member needs to designate you as a beneficiary. When I deployed I had the chance to amend mine and added my long term girlfriend on for about 1/3 (we had been together for 5 years at that point and I was on her life insurance).
>>
>>32867472
You chose the MOS anon. I do realize that in the schoolhouse they don't exactly disabuse you of the idea that you're more often at a desk than not, but that's the truth for all 35 series.

Even 35M and 35L are at their desks for a significant portion of their work. Those IIRs aren't going to write themselves.
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.