[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low-Mid range shotguns for clays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: HR_baikal1.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
HR_baikal1.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
Would anyone here happen to have any experience with Baikal or Yildiz shotguns? These are the only two brands that seem to be readily available where I live and cheap enough to buy. Any other brand recommendations are welcome but it has to be a 12G O/U with ideally 28" barrels, sub £1000 is a goal. I mainly just shoot sporting targets but something more versatile is a bonus.

Help me /k/amandos.
>>
Bumping for help.
>>
>>32813373
>>32813747
I am also interested in a decent O/U. One anon in another thread said that Ruger was bringing back the red label shotguns, not sure how reliable that is though.
>>
>>32813373
You can get a Stoeger Condor for around $350
>>
>>32813789
I've heard that Stoeger is pretty shit, like wears out in a couple hundred shells.
>>
>>32813789
They dont sell those here in bong land anon. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>32813373
I have the Baikal MP-27EM-1C. With ejectors, ported barrels and screw in choke tubes. Made in 2011. Paid 400€ for it new.

Chamber throat/leade and choke tubes are pretty short by todays standards. Might be hard to find ammo that patterns well. Mine does well with Rottweil steel shot water fowl loads. I haven't really tested patterns of clay loads.

Machining and worksmanship is exactly what you can expect from cheap Russian crap. Still better than Turkish crap though. Machining quality and finish is better in the older guns.

Bottom firing pin pierces primers... just like every other MP/IJ-27 I have ever seen. If it pierces the primer of hunting load the pressure venting into the action can trip the sear of the other barrel too... fun times. I have already modified the firing pin and hammer spring guide to mitigate this but still does it on clay loads with thin primers.

Older guns made in 80's and 90's had the problem of ejecting pieces of the stock on first few shots. I haven't had problems with the wood on mine.

The chrome lining in the barrels is great. No worries of rust. Much like machining quality this too is way better on the ones made in USSR.
>>
>>32813373
Everyone I've talked to says that Baikals are tough, but handle poorly. If the steel is decent, you could always buy it now, save some money, and then get a smith to tidy it up a bit for you (smoothing parts, reshaping the stock, etc).

I don't know enough about Yildiz to comment.

As for myself, I bought a Browning Citori. That or a Beretta Silver Pigeon, used, could meet your budget. They'd have to be pretty beat on to not work well.
>>
>>32813811
I think it depends on the model and year.
Mine is the gun I use the most by far and it's holding up perfectly.
>>
>>32814018
Thanks for the information anon. So would to recommend waiting until I can buy into a better price bracket of gun? Or do you think for just shooting clays for fun it will get the job done?
>>
>>32813373
I have extensive experience with Baikal shotguns. They work, but the machining is rough and you can expect the barrels to be of wildly differing diameters. They also break *constantly* due to a proliferation of cast (not even MIM, just plain old sand-cast) internals and a total lack of heat treatment. I would highly recommend you avoid them.
>have seen barrels range from 0.682" ID to 0.881"ID (SAAMI/CIP spec is 0.700"), meaning your chokes are gonna be way the fuck off

I would recommend looking into CZ's several over/unders. Not sure what they cost in bongbux but here in the US they run ~$700-900USD.
>>
>>32813373
Don't buy an O/U if at all possible. A cheaper semi auto will be both easier to shoot and reliable, as well as better supported by the aftermarket. I wouldn't consider anything cheaper than a Beretta Silver Pigeon, and why would you get one of those when you could get an excellent Winchester or Remington semi for 1/2 the price?
>>
>>32814354
Because they're b& in bongland, most likely.
>>
>>32814354
>>32814387

OP may have to talk to his local police, but looking online, it seems like semi-autos are legal provided they can load no more than 3 shells (1 in chamber, two in mag).

So, that could be a solution.
>>
>>32814415
Most clay grounds dont allow them as you cant easily see if they are loaded or not. All grounds I have been to have "open and empty" signs everywhere.
>>
>>32814457
That's a shame. Over here in Canada, most places allow pretty much anything (as long as you are prepared to put up with mockery) within reason.

OP should really look at some used Berettas or Brownings in that case.
>>
Another Baikal o/u owner checking in. Happy with my purchase.
>>
>>32814531
What do you use it for?
>>
>>32814559

Hunting grouse, and have used it on skeet once in a long while. It's a common man's work horse; reliable and uncomplicated with the absolute minimum of decoration. It is the most sold and used shotgun in my country.
>>
>>32814579
I might get one then. At the moment I am sharing a 525.
>>
Mhm. Mind you, I am not saying that the Baikal is superior to other brands. Only that is it good value for the price and an overall ok o/u.
>>
>>32814794
Well that's what Im looking for.
>>
>>32813787
They aren't on the market yet. CZ sells solid over-unders if you can find those. You can try Huglu through whatever importer they use in your country.
>>
>>32816585
That's what I meant, I wasn't sure how reliable the information of Ruger bringing them back was. I hadn't heard anything before that.
>>
File: HPIM0763.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM0763.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
I use a Turkish O/U I won in a gun bash raffle. My sporting clays buddies with their Baretta's and Brownings call it "the Taliban gun". It works just fine. If I hadn't won it I would be using a pump.
>>
>>32816782
Forgot to mention the brand is Gazelle.
>>
>>32816708
That was me actually. It hit the market at $1300 and nobody bought it so they killed it. Too bad.
>>
>>32816798
>>32816782
Looks kinda like my Yildiz, which was probably the Academy branding name of it.

Kills clays and dove, so it works when I want to use a beater
>>
>>32816782
I did fine with a pump 870 28" but the small delay is just enough to mess up the follow-up shot sometimes. I used a Beretta semi-auto after that and my aim was much better. Then I used a Weatherby O/U, that thing is tough to beat.
>>
>>32817193
We relax the rules a bit when someone is shooting with a pump. Second bird on rack not report.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.