[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ I just got my bonus and have 1500 to spend on a new gun.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 18

File: image.jpg (17KB, 350x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 350x160px
So /k/ I just got my bonus and have 1500 to spend on a new gun. I've only ever shot a shotgun once as a kid. What advice do you have for me?
>>
Should I just got into a gunshop or go another route?
>>
>>32811415
what are you into?
>>
>>32811457
I'm leaning towards either a handgun. Like I've said I have only shot a gun once as a teen. I'm looking for quality on a budget. I'm unsure on going with a revolver or not.
>>
File: 5906 9mm Luger.jpg (446KB, 700x1250px) Image search: [Google]
5906 9mm Luger.jpg
446KB, 700x1250px
>>32811415
If this is your first gun, I would recommend either a 9mm pistol or a .357 Magnum revolver (which you would start out shooting .38 Special with).
Also you don't need to blow all your 1500 on just one gun, you can get a quite good handgun for $500 or less, a Glock 17 or Beretta 92 are both quite excellent pistols.

What I'd recommend in fact, is to buy a handgun and some magazines (or no magazines if it's a revolver), and then I would buy either a pump-action shotgun or a semi-automatic rifle in a medium caliber.

Some good handguns:
>Glock 17 (9mm Luger)
>Beretta 92 (9mm Luger)
>FNX9 (9mm Luger)
>Ruger GP100 revolver (.357 Mag)
>Ruger Security Six (.357 Mag)
>Ruger New Vaquero (.357 Mag)
>Smith & Wesson M66 (.357 Mag)
>Auto Ordnance 1911 (typically in .45ACP, but they also make them in 9mm Luger)
>Ruger SR1911 (same as for the Auto Ordnance one, also can you tell I like Ruger a lot?)

And my personal favorite is the Smith & Wesson 5906, it's in 9mm Luger, is made from all steel and is generally very dependable.
It's slightly heavier than what many are used to today, and the old magazines only held 14 rounds, but if you get modern replacement magazines from MecGar (a very high quality manufacturer), you can get 17 rounds, the same capacity as a Glock 17 or FNX9, without having a long extension on the bottom.
>>
File: 590A1 MagPul.jpg (17KB, 682x382px) Image search: [Google]
590A1 MagPul.jpg
17KB, 682x382px
>>32811415
Some good shotguns:
>Mossberg 500
>Mossberg 590
>Mossberg 590A1 (these three are pretty much the same shotgun, but gradually nicer and cooler, the A1 is built like a tank and can even take an M16 bayonet)
>Ithaca 37
>Stevens Model 77
And you might hear someone recommend a Remington 870, BUT, unless you can verify that the gun was made in the early 2000's at the least, I would avoid it, Remington has been a total dumpster fire for the past 10+ years.

The most popular chamberings for shotguns are 12 Gauge an 20 Gauge, the 12 Gauge is the bigger one (don't ask, that's a topic for another day), they have the same range of power/velocity, but the 12 Gauge has a larger projectile load (more shot pellets, or larger slugs), since there's less projectile weight in the 20 Gauge, it will have less recoil and thus is easier for smaller statured persons (women, youths, cripples or just total newbies) to handle and shoot, while being nearly as effective.

All the shotguns listed are available in both flavors.
Pic related is the Mossberg 590A1 (with a MagPul grip and stock), it has all the bells and whistles while being of high quality and make (also being pretty fairly priced), this is the kind of shotgun you would fight demons in space with, has an 8 round capacity magazine.
>>
File: 5B_-_First_Handgun_-2_illust.jpg (1MB, 2560x1608px) Image search: [Google]
5B_-_First_Handgun_-2_illust.jpg
1MB, 2560x1608px
>>32811415
>>
File: 1440961839991.jpg (1MB, 2500x1626px) Image search: [Google]
1440961839991.jpg
1MB, 2500x1626px
>>32811837
>>
File: Zastava 223 rifle.jpg (339KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Zastava 223 rifle.jpg
339KB, 1500x1000px
>>32811415
And finally we're looking at some rifles:
>Smith & Wesson M&P-15 (an AR15 in 5.56mm)
>Ruger AR556 (an AR15 in 5.56mm)
>Sprinfield Saint (an AR15 in 5.56mm, this one is a bit pricier than the other two)

The first three I listed are AR15 variants, this is the same kind of platform that the US military uses (M16 and M4), and it's generally considered to be a very good design by people who know what they're talking about.
They have good inherent accuracy, they're strong, they are generally quite reliable (if you needed to, you could seriously fire one for thousands and thousands of rounds over months and never clean it, just adding the occasional lube, and it'll keep running), and the action is well enclosed from the elements so it'd be tricky to get a bunch of outside dirt in there.

They also have very light recoil and are easy to use, with a large aftermarket and adaptable ergonomics, if you don't like the grip or stock that came with the rifle, there's a million of alternatives for you out there.

>Zastava OPAP (AK variant in 7.62x39mm)
>Zastava NPAP (AK variant in 7.62x39mm)
>Zastava M90 (AK variant in 5.56mm, using the same magazines as the AR15, pic related)
Kalashnikov variants are always nice, tough, dependable, very hard to break, and if something fails, it's generally easy to fix. If you somehow got say, a ham sandwich stuck in the action, you could just take off the top cover and shake/dig it out, and the gun should just start running again pretty reasonably, if the gun was just completely submerged in mud, you could just take out the magazine and take off the top cover, then rinse the gun out with a hose.

The Russian 7.62x39mm cartridge is very cheap, and it's fairly powerful, something you could easily take a deer or boar with if you wanted to. Some AK variants are also available in the American 5.56mm M16/M4 cartridge, which is pretty much as cheap, but has lighter recoil and longer range (both are pretty powerful in their own way).
>>
File: Vepr Folder.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Vepr Folder.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>32811882
Oh yeah, if you're wondering why all the AKs listed are Serbian (Zastava) and in 7.62x39mm or 5.56mm, it's because the market for Kalashnikov rifles in the US is in a bit of a dry-spell right now, because of sanctions against Russia, there is no importation of Saiga rifles (Sporter variant of the AK), which used to be available at a good price and were generally of pretty nice quality.

The Saiga line was also available in a variety of calibers, not just 7.62x39mm, and 5.56mm, but the 5.45mm AK74 cartridge (think basically the Russians wanting to do the same kind of cartridge as the 5.56mm but for their AKs), which used to be available as dirt-cheap army surplus from Russia and Ukraine (this surplus was banned in an unrelated thing). They also made shotgun variants.

You can still get quite cheap 5.45mm commercial ammo, but it's not AS cheap, and it doesn't have the same degree of armor piercing properties.

The alternative to the Saiga line is the Vepr line from Molot (they were not part of the Kalashnikov concern, and thus not listed in the sanctions), while they a lot of the same ideas as the Saigas (some even better, like the shotguns), they're different in a lot of ways, coming with thumbhole stocks, and some calibers can only take low capacity magazines without being modified. The manufacturing quality of the Vepr is very good however.

Pic related is a Vepr in 7.62x39mm, it's been converted to take a normal pistol grip, as well as a folding stock.
>>
File: DSC_1580.jpg (135KB, 1024x792px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1580.jpg
135KB, 1024x792px
>>32811847
>>32811837
Oh yeah, these are all very good pistols.

Some might say that a .45 caliber handgun is too much for a newbie, but in reality, this doesn't have to be the case at all. The recoil of a .45ACP pistol isn't really MORE than for a 9mm Luger pistol, it's just a DIFFERENT kind of recoil, so they just handle a bit differently.

Both are pretty much as deadly, so pick the caliber you feel comfortable shooting, the one you feel you shoot better with. 9mm will always have higher capacity, but really, anything that's at least 5 or higher will be acceptable from a defensive standpoint, when it comes to defensive gun use, it's very rare for shots to exceed 2, let alone even reaching 1 (it turns out that showing someone a deadly weapon is an extremely good way of making them change their mind about what they were just gonna do to you and run the fuck away, without you having to even pull the trigger). High capacity is nice, but it's not the end-all be-all.

Anyway OP, I wouldn't blow all the $1500 on just one gun, or even all of it on multiple guns at once, I would buy one or two nice guns in the 400 to 600 dollar range, then some accessories and ammo, and I would hold on to the rest of the money, it's always nice to have some money stashed.
>>
File: 0002.jpg (324KB, 3418x658px) Image search: [Google]
0002.jpg
324KB, 3418x658px
>>32811847
I feel like tisas Zig should be added to that list for everyman tier 1911.
>>
File: Gun-Safety.jpg (24KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
Gun-Safety.jpg
24KB, 400x270px
In case you're not familiar with the Four Rules Of Gun Safety

>1 All Guns Are Always Loaded
When you pick up a gun, always check to see if it's loaded, take out the magazine, open the action, etc. You don't want to be wrong when you pull that trigger or start cleaning it, this helps avoiding accidents, likewise, if someone is pointing a gun at you, you don't want to bet your life on it not being loaded.

>2 Never Point A Gun At Anything You're Not Willing To Shoot
Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, such as down towards the floor, or up in the air, depending on the situation, be aware of where your gun is point at all times, don't be waving it around without thinking, scratching yourself with it, or gesticulate while talking as you have it in your hand. If the gun for whatever reason should fire, you don't want something (or someone) you don't want to be shot to be in the way of the bullet.

Also just never point a gun at someone as a "joke" or as if playing, aside from being unsafe, this is just in poor taste, and it goes back to 1, it can be loaded.

It's worth saving a picture of this post or finding a copy of the rules written down somewhere else, if not for reminding yourself, you should teach these to someone if you're bringing them to a range to let them shoot guns for their first time.
This is no joke, before you even touch the guns, make them read these rules up for you, make sure that they understand that these are very important and that these are not toys to be played with mindlessly.

Rules 3 and 4 in the next post.
>>
>>32811930
Russian corruption convinced the ATF to ban Ukrainian ammo.

Fucking kikes.
>>
File: 1485315475752.jpg (657KB, 600x936px) Image search: [Google]
1485315475752.jpg
657KB, 600x936px
>>32812063
>3 Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target
This is called Trigger Discipline, and basically, don't rest your finger on the trigger when you're not going to shoot, it might feel like a natural thing to do when holding a gun, but it's not safe in practice. If some accident should happen, your finger could be hit/shifted, or you could suffer some spasm or whatever, and this could lead to the trigger being pulled. Also it'll prevent you from fidgeting with your finger while it's on the trigger, which has caused more than one accident.

>4 Be Sure Of Your Target, And What's Beyond It
This goes back to 2, but basically never shoot at a target you haven't identified, don't shoot at someone you haven't recognized as a possible threat to your life, if you are up at night and see someone moving in the dark, don't just reflexively pull the trigger, this is how people accidentally kill family members or dogs, or neighbors, tell them "FREEZE" and to identify themselves, only shoot if it looks like you're being attacked.

It REALLY helps to turn on the lights or to have a light with you to (many guns can have lights attached, which is a very good idea for a home defense weapon), this way you can immediately see who it is.
Also be aware that sometimes bullets can go through objects/people, so it's good to think about that risk. When practicing, always make sure you have a good backstop (a shooting berm, a hill, a wall of sandbags, or really just a huge pile of sand), be aware that bullets can sometimes deflect and bounce off hard and flat/curved surfaces.

This avoids tragedy, as well as going to prison.
>>
File: operator-dog.jpg (33KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
operator-dog.jpg
33KB, 500x379px
>>32812091
>>32812063
And now supplemental rules:

>A: Wear hearing protection whenever you can.
Guns are loud, this is self-explanatory, but even really small and low powered guns can do serious damage to your hearing over time (such as horrible horrible tinnitus or being unable to hear, you DON'T want this).
Obviously, if it's an emergency you might not have the time to put on hearing protection, your ears might have to take some damage.

It's worth noting however, that if you think you have suffered any kind of hearing damage, you can control and soften this damage by ingesting some Vitamin D and Aspirin.

>B: Don't be fucking Frank Castle
In a self-defense shooting, your goal is not to be The Punisher, your goal is entirely to preserve yourself, your friends and loved ones, bystanders, or personal property.

If you show someone a gun, they are highly likely to escape or surrender, do not shoot them when they do this, this is murder.

If you shoot someone (say they tried to pull their own gun, or they lunged at you, whatever, it only really has to appear like it to you beyond a reasonable doubt), DO NOT "FINISH THEM OFF", if they are injured and down, and they can't attack you, they are neutralized (if they have a weapon, take it or kick it away), if you shoot them while they're down, this is murder. You're not obligated to give them First Aid, but you can't kill them if they survived and are neutralized.

When you have shot someone in self-defense, you have to call 911 so they can send police and an ambulance (to cart off the survivor/body, as well as treat whatever injury you could have suffered), the police will take your statement. Tell them that you feared for your life, don't tell them anything they don't have to know.
>>
File: tumblr_nmr9olBb8T1s8kbvso2_1280.png (1022KB, 850x1359px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmr9olBb8T1s8kbvso2_1280.png
1022KB, 850x1359px
>>32812137
>>32812091
>>32812063
>C: Shoot center mass; Shoot To Kill
This might seem like it contradicts B, but the fact is, a firearm is a DEADLY weapon, and it should only be used as such, you never shoot to warn, NEVER shoot to wound (because apart from the fact that they can die anyway, you can get sued so hard it's not even funny). Shoot until the threat is disabled.

When you shoot to kill, it's for a fear of your life, you think that this person might kill you, so you use deadly force to save yourself. If you don't think your life was in danger, you do not use lethal force (a firearm).
Also back to B, if he goes down but he isn't dead, don't kill him.

When you shoot someone in the leg, they can get absolutely horrible and debilitating injuries, on top of dying, there's big arteries in the legs which can funnel out all their blood in short order.

>D: Never Shoot Into The Air
It's been debated heavily whether or not it's dangerous (some say it's fine, but there's recorded injuries and deaths), but don't shoot a gun up into the air, if for not for the fact that you're responsible for where your bullets go and it's just poor form.
>>
File: RockIslandArmoryM1911-A1FSP.jpg (19KB, 553x356px) Image search: [Google]
RockIslandArmoryM1911-A1FSP.jpg
19KB, 553x356px
>>32811992
Honestly, 1911 pistols should have it's own chart entirely, that's a bit of a specific.

Rock Island Armory also makes good economy 1911s.

>>32812070
It wasn't a ban on Ukrainian ammo specifically (this covered both Russian and Ukrainian surplus, and Russia made just as good money on it as the Ukrainians did), it was a ban on all military surplus 5.45mm for being Armor Piercing, because the ATF is autistic and is defined whether or not it exhibits specific characteristics seen on typical armor piercing loads, but more importantly, if they regard it as a pistol cartridge (since it's generally accepted and understood that rifles defeat a lot of armor anyway)

Someone made an AK pistol in 5.45mm, thus there was now a pistol in 5.45mm, thus 5.45mm is now a pistol cartridge, thus the armor piercing 5.45mm surplus ammo is banned.

This was the same way that 7.62x39mm military surplus ammo was banned back in the day, Olympic Arms made a pistol in the caliber, thus there was now a 7.62x39mm pistol, thus it's a pistol cartridge now, thus 7.62x39mm military surplus ammo is banned.
>>
File: CorrectionRH.jpg~original.jpg (74KB, 791x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CorrectionRH.jpg~original.jpg
74KB, 791x1024px
Oh yeah, a final thing, if you're a new pistol shot, this chart should give you a good idea what you need to work on.

This is a Correction Chart for right handed shooters, if you're left handed, there exists one for you as well.
>>
>>32811415
Get a $1000 AR15 and spend the rest on ammo.
>>
File: STARBMagtile2.jpg (79KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
STARBMagtile2.jpg
79KB, 500x377px
>>32812288
Honestly pretty viable too.

Though I think everyone should have at least two guns, one long gun, and one handgun. There exist some alright cheap handguns.
>>
File: Zastava M90P 5.56x45mm.jpg (122KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
Zastava M90P 5.56x45mm.jpg
122KB, 1000x540px
>>32811882
Oh right, the Zastava model that took AR15 magazines was specifically the M90P
>>
File: Zastava M90P.jpg (149KB, 1024x330px) Image search: [Google]
Zastava M90P.jpg
149KB, 1024x330px
>>
>>32811847
>giving money to colt
>2017

This some sort of ruse?
>>
>>32811415
Shoot $1500 worth of ammo though as many possible guns as you can.

Then decide what you like.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.