[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting the GarminForetex 401

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 71U991G43JL._SL1500_.jpg (99KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
71U991G43JL._SL1500_.jpg
99KB, 1500x1000px
What does /k/ think about the ForeTex401 for Innawoods operating? Want some input before I pull the trigger.
>>
File: 1465391944759.png (29KB, 249x308px) Image search: [Google]
1465391944759.png
29KB, 249x308px
>willingly revealing your position to the enemy in real time
Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
>>
>>32802701
Dude, its a GPS receiver, it does not broadcast your location dumbass.

>Not knowing how 30 year old technology works
>>
Pretty much standard equipment in most infantry line units. I have/use one. Can't go wrong really.
>>
>>32802695
looks like a fun gadget
just went and read some reviews on it, there are a few limitations but if you have the dough go for it
>>
>>32802701

I can't count the number of grunt NCOs who have these on their flc.
>>
>>32802695
the full sized handheld garmins are g2g also
>>
>>32802695
Decent if you preload it with waypoints or use it in conjunction with a full fledged GPS that has a legit map.

Otherwise a compass will provide the same USEFUL information with less weight and no battery life.

>GPS coords generally useless without a larger detailed map
>Altitude rarely useful for 99% of people
That leaves you with the heading/compass being the only useful part if using it standalone without a preprogrammed route/waypoints.

You will look cool though, there's that.
>>
What even is the civilian purpose of this?

"I'm going to wander off with purposely no idea what I'm doing with no map or compass and hope that me spending money on something will fix my lack of skill/knowledge/experience"
>>
>>32804761
you use it with a map though
makes it easy to check position and make sure you didn't fuck anything up
>>
>>32804761
>Park the truck
>Go hunting
>Walk for miles in different directions
>"Fuck, where is the truck?"

That's what I use it for. I don't want to retrace my footsteps, just go back as efficiently as possible.
>>
>>32802695
Get the Troy nav stock so bother you nor your gun ever get lost
>>
>>32802695
I got that thing for hiking. I like it, except the battery life is shit, and you have to use AAA. I also don't like how it doesn't have a start/stop button. What really irked me was that the plastic holding the strap broke from regular use. Superglue fixed it, but I thought it was stupid that they didn't design it better.

Was out on an island once with it looking for a camouflaged camera for a research project. My handheld GPS went from 100% battery to none real quick, and I used the foretrex as a backup. Saved my butt, and made the 15 mile hike to the camera worth it.
>>
>>32802695
Only if you walk in the woods in random ass directions all the time with a good map.

Or if you're really into shtf prep.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.