[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prep thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

/k/, I live in Britian's green and pleasant land. Should I prep? In terms of natural disasters the worst we ever get is a minor flood or blizzard.
>>
>>32794753
If I was a bong I'd be more worried about the snackbars than about the weather tbqhwyf.
>>
>>32794753

Meh I wouldn't. But then we are an island that imports most of its goods so it might not be a bad idea. Start with a gun.
>>
>>32794753
Always try to keep a weeks supply of food and water, you never know what might happen.
>>
>>32794753

People empty supermarkets when the weather man says it might snow a little bit.
>>
>>32794753
We're a small island with good infrastructure (relatively speaking) and an extremely safe little ecological/climatological niche.
Prep lightly for household disasters and limited unrest. If anything else goes wrong, you're not going to have the space to fortify unless you live in a seriously rural area.
If you do (farm, etc) you're like 90% prepped already or a terrible farmer.
>>
>>32794753

Freeze you money into bricks that you can launch at people with a sling, in a few months that will be all its good for anyway.
>>
>>32794819
>People empty supermarkets when the weather man says it might snow a little bit.
Yeah, this country fucking collapses as soon as a single flake of snow hits the ground.
>>
>>32794753
Nothing beyond common sense maintenance of your household.

Keeping a well stocked fridge and a lot of food and water under the stairs and cans in the cupboard is never a bad idea.

If you really really want, get your own water pump and chickens.

Get a shotgun if you dont already have one

Have a solid door and wooden shutters which can be barred if you are worried, if you have a fireplace its a good idea to have fuel stocked in the shed.

This is all relatively normal stuff, worst thing that can happen is a shortage, a small riot or a flood but if you live in a flood area i expect you to already be prepared
Anything more is unnecessary,
>>
File: IMAG0340.jpg (3MB, 4224x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0340.jpg
3MB, 4224x2368px
>>32794753
Pic related is probably more than youd ever really need for small game hunting/defence realistically, unless you live in London where its way easier to get a gun. .177 air pistol for any rodents, .22 air rifle for anything up to foxes, bow for everything else.
Whats more important is stockpiling, numbers and fortification; once other people run out, they get desperate and start scavenging, so no matter how prepared you are, if you dont have a group of people with you, youll eventually get fucked up.
Medical supplies, alcohol (spirits), petrol, lighter fuel, batteries, canned food, clean water etc are all pretty invaluable during shtf, and the main shit that people will be scavenging for or willing to kill for if it gets desperate enough.

Just mark the locations of the nearest 2 supermarket distribution warehouses on a local map; they hold easily 10x the amount of any large supermarket store, and nobody knows about them except the employees, so you wouldnt have to deal with all the hordes.
>>
>>32795101
>If you really really want, get your own water pump and chickens.
I've never understood this, basic conservation of energy tells you that the chickens will take more calories from your storage for you to feed than they ever will give you when you kill them.
>>
>>32795499
Keep 'em for the eggs, you gotta get that protein mang. When SHTF do you really want to be eating micoprotein for the rest of your life?
>>
>>32795602
In terms of input resources v output, if youre just doing it for protein buy like 20kg of whey protein. Drink that shit with water, far easier and cheaper than keeping chickens.
>>
>>32795499
Chickens will eat just about anything. Naturally you shouldn't be producing as much food waste in a scenario for which one might need to prep but it's going to happen. Especially if you are cultivating fruits and vegetables as well.
>>
>>32795084
it would cost way more money properly equipping for heavy snow than what it costs just muddling through. i've also heard that so many people slip on ice in england is because they don't have enough practice walking on ice.

>>32794753
there are rarer events that might happen, global pandemic, economic collapse, asteroid.
>>
>>32795499
put them out in your yard and they eat seeds and bugs
>>
>>32795779

>no practice walking on it

Not seen a lick of ice this year. Its already late January but it's been fairly dry for winter and even though it's been below freezing for a few days it's not been wet enough to freeze.

Go figure.

But there's been absolutely no snow where I live and probably enough frost to bother gritting maybe 3 days out of the past 2 months.
>>
File: i_need_more_water.jpg (1013KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
i_need_more_water.jpg
1013KB, 2272x1704px
>>32794753
>Should I prep?
yes
everyone should prep on some level

>In terms of natural disasters the worst we ever get is a minor flood or blizzard.
i know im not telling you anything you dont already know here, but weather isnt always predictable...sometimes bizarre weather occurs in unexpected places

for the sake of keeping things weapons-related, arm yourself well with whatever is obtainable to you
>>
>>32794753
You do realize that there's always some kind of disaster or political upheaval that ends up happening to every nation at one point or another and I think it's naive to think the US or UK are somehow immune. Just don't be an obese faggot that spends every dime that he has on prepping.
>>
>>32795816
>Not seen a lick of ice this year.
Same, seen frost a few times and some fog but not one bit of ice or snow.
>>
>>32795914
>Paint thinner

"When the going gets tough, the tough get huffing"
>>
File: spacey.jpg (154KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
spacey.jpg
154KB, 396x594px
>>32795958
hah
canned goods if you didnt already know
>>
According to the Cabinet the main threats to the United Kingdom are

1) Inclement weather
2) Terrorist attacks
3) Pandemics
>>
>>32796004
Its been over a decade since a proper terrorist attack in the UK, I think France and Germany are pissing them off more than the UK is at the moment.
>>
>>32796045
That in no way in the slightest means it's not still a very active threat
>>
File: 1480511918795.jpg (31KB, 228x250px) Image search: [Google]
1480511918795.jpg
31KB, 228x250px
>>32796045
>Its been over a decade since a proper terrorist attack in the UK

>25 January 2017
>>
File: 1480115099343.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1480115099343.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>32796069
Terror for the EU not for the UK.
>>
>>32796056
Yes it is a real threat but you cannot treat them any differently to any other disaster, have enough supplies to last a week or two and be prepared to deal with looters.
>>
>>32794753

>>32795101
>>32795224
mah dude
solid advice imo
...if i might add for OPs sake..a good way to start is with canned goods & gallons of water..
a months worth is a good baseline..& begin building your stock of other goods or equipment from there, gradually..
>Keeping a well stocked fridge and a lot of food and water under the stairs and cans in the cupboard
>Get a shotgun if you dont already have one
>Have a solid door and wooden shutters which can be barred
>Medical supplies, alcohol (spirits), petrol, lighter fuel, batteries, canned food, clean water etc are all pretty invaluable
>.177 air pistol for any rodents, .22 air rifle for anything up to foxes, bow for everything else.
like i said, MUH DUDE
>>
>>32794753
Heres a tip, in the event of an emergency the water mains may still be available for a short time. Fill the bathtub to the top then cover it with plastic to prevent light reaching it, you have enough water to live on for longer than your short sighted neighbours.
>>
>>32796330
>prevent light reaching it,
Why does the light matter?
>>
>>32796528
Light can let algae grow and make the water stagnant, a few drops of bleach a few hours before consumption would not hurt either.
>>
>>32796528
To reduce the proliferation of water borne bacteria. Adding a few drops of bleach will also aid safe storage. Keep the tvc nice and low.
>>
File: earthquake08232011-neverforget.jpg (29KB, 663x315px) Image search: [Google]
earthquake08232011-neverforget.jpg
29KB, 663x315px
>>32794753
You never know when disaster will strike unexpectedly.

And some of those floods are nothing to fuck with.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.