[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, fa/tg/uy hear who would like to ask some questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: challenger 2.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
challenger 2.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
Hey guys, fa/tg/uy hear who would like to ask some questions about tanks.
First: Is the driver in a separate 'compartment' to the rest of the crew? if so, why?
>>
>>32791676
Because if you take a hit you dont want to lose the entire crew at once
>>
>>32791681
thanks for the answer, was there a way to get through to either part in emergencies? (besides getting out of the tank ofcourse)
>>
>>32791676
Yes and no...in the chally 2 as you have pictured, when the turret is facing rear you can access the driver's compartment

So it's semi separate, if that makes sense
>>
>>32791685
Yeah the driver can put his seat down if the turret is reversed to move all the gun stuff out the way
>>
>>32791676
>First: Is the driver in a separate 'compartment' to the rest of the crew? if so, why?- 4 posts shown.

Because there is zero fucking space inside
>>
>>32791709
>>32791712
Ah awesome, thats pretty cool actually, thank you.

Second question, In terms of modern combat, where does it look like the tank is going? Will it stay an important part of military life or is anything surpassed by anything?
>>
>>32791676
This depends on the tank.
Normally the driver is not separated.

Here are some videos:
Inside the T34-85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nem_Zc51ksg
Inside the ISA-152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvsph2nLH6k
Inside the T-55A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD13Z8DlS4A
Inside the M47 Patton II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAa9tH53Yo

I know those are older models, but it gives you a good overview.
>>
>>32791731
Just look at Syria and how essential tanks have been there. Tons of videos of "tank battles" in the Syrian war. Great footage of them working in concert with infantry, proving how vital they are to modern combat.

Not to mention the whole wall/siege tower analogy when it comes to tanks weapons and armour.

Tanks aren't going anywhere. The only reason they might is because of idiot armchair strategists who shitpost on /k/ one day getting in a position to control the budget.
>>
>>32791676

As far as I know, the driver has the same "room" in the tank but is more separated than the rest.

Only the armata has a separated "capsule" for the driver.
>>
>>32791731
It will not go anywhere. It's a higly mobile, armoured 120-140mm gun that requires specialized weaponry to take out.
>>
It's pretty crazy when you consider the size of the tank on the outside...
>>
File: CR2_zpsyanfmebr.jpg (59KB, 502x335px) Image search: [Google]
CR2_zpsyanfmebr.jpg
59KB, 502x335px
...compared to the amount of room on the inside
>>
>>32791731

the "tank" seems to be going the road of extremes.

You will have more light armored transports, more mobile and efficient.

And the tank is becoming more and more an armored fortress capable of stopping missiles in mid air, detecting menaces from afar and putting crew survivality above all.

Firepower will stay as it is but with more precise amunitions.
Just see the k2 and armata specifications, and then the PL-01 stealthy IFV
>>
Protip fa/tg/uy, if you ever have a tank deployed in an urban combat zone it has to have dedicated anti-infantry support (typically in the form of supporting infantry and air support) or it will take heavy damage from man portable anti-tank weapons.
>>
>>32791786
Artillery > air support.
>>
>>32791789
>he thinks arty salvoes are better than JDAMs
>>
>>32791685
I know in the Chieftain there's access to the driver's compartment underneath the gun, but its I'mcredibly tight and I think the turret and gun have to be in a certain position.
>>
>>32791746
>Syria
I think Ukraine is way more relevant
>>
>>32791897
Not when you consider the amount of tanks operating in Syria compared to Ukraine
>>
>>32791742
neat, not OP but thanks for the links
>>
>>32791676
>Is the driver in a separate 'compartment' to the rest of the crew?

On some tanks, there is a small crawlspace that the driver can use to move between his compartment and the fighting compartment (aka the inside of the turret).

> if so, why?

Because to get from the driver's compartment to the fighting compartment, you have to go *through* the bottom of the turret.

There are almost never any circumstances in which the driver would need to do that, and designing your tank to have a hole between those compartments big enough for a man to squeeze through it is a hassle.

If the driver wants to get out of the tank in a hurry, he has a hatch right above his head.

>>32791749
>Only the armata has a separated "capsule" for the driver.

No, in the Armata the three crew members sit right next to each other, three abreast, inside a compartment located where you would typically seat just the driver in a conventional tank.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.