[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this gun worker ripping me off or?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

File: XD9101Essentials.jpg (1020KB, 1500x1429px) Image search: [Google]
XD9101Essentials.jpg
1020KB, 1500x1429px
So I went into the gun store today and this older guy was a total bro and spent 30 minutes letting me try different guns and meanwhile he was cracking jokes, being personable and explaining in depth the difference between the handguns I was looking at, my needs, what to look for and doing some grip and fake fire tests to see what felt right for me and my budget. I settled on a springfield xd9 and had all my paperwork ready but the system was down. Now they couldnt get it up but meanwhile he took me to get a cleaning kit, some lubricants, some string, mat to clean on, ammo loader, eye and ear gear and said it would be everything i needed. is he trolling for commision or should I trust him since tommorow i have the appointment again since the system should be up for my transaction. I got the springfield for about 495 and told him my budget was 700 which is why he might be trying it.
>>
Meh, you could have lived without all those extras besides the eyes, ears, and lube.
>>
>>32790765

You're going to want most of that. It'll be cheaper online though. Might exclude the cleaning mat and mag loader, a towel and your thumb work just as well.
>>
Ammo loader? Like for loading bullets into cases or loading rounds into a mag?

It's all proper stuff yea. If it were me I'd ditch the mat and just use an old towel but mats are nice.
>>
>>32790765
xd's suck ass you should have just gotten a glock 21 sf
>>
>>32790765
>Is this gun worker ripping me off or?

He fucking WORKED you, dude. When you go in next time, buy a can of pepper spray and hose him down.
>>
>>32790789
every person i talk guns with seems to think this or that is trash. Lol guns seem to have an interesting culture.
>>
File: 1450281353831.jpg (85KB, 717x1026px)
1450281353831.jpg
85KB, 717x1026px
>>32790804
so... what do i actually need lol
>>
>>32790808
Its almost exactly like the rampant fanboy culture centered around graphics cards on /g/

just fuckin (((WAKE ME UP)))
>>
>>32790808
>every person i talk guns with seems to think this or that is trash.

Keep in mind that half the fags in here are underaged tardlings that got all their firearms knowledge from airsoft, vidya, Utube fools, and other tardlings that post hysterical repetitive threads regarding gear they've never seen in person, and can't legally own for another 5-6 years.
>>
File: 3634258356.jpg (357KB, 800x843px) Image search: [Google]
3634258356.jpg
357KB, 800x843px
>>32790765

Guy is trying to sell you shit, it is his job. It is up to you if you want to buy that shit.
But if you are that schizo then it is probably best if you don't have a gun.
>>
>>32790808
>>32790826
>>32790832
springfield shills gtfo
>>
File: 1294667428447.jpg (12KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
1294667428447.jpg
12KB, 354x354px
>>32790765

>old guy explains hidden costs of owning a firearm
>sells you a decently priced XD under budget so you can afford the extra's to shoot and maintain it.
>doesn't do stupid shit like try to shill a P226 Legion and encourage you to put it on credit - because muh limited edition

"woe is me, some old gunstore fud tried to rape my wallet today. Said I needed to buy ammunition to shoot a gun. Then, get this, he said I had to buy cleaning supplies so the gun wouldn't rust. I can't believe he things I'm so stupid. Please Reinforce my ignorance."

to put it in perspective.
As a private patrolman I buy Glocks at $460 OTD. After IWB or OWB Holster, Ammo and NS (maybe light attachment depending on contract) The company spends an average of $750 per employee. He's doing good by you.

Sure some stuff you might not need, like the; plastic cool looking mat, the ammo loader thing (thats $20 wasted). Maybe you bitched about how hard the ammo was to load so he recommended it (who knows?). It depends on how comfy you want to be when you go shooting/cleaning.
>>
>>32790838
>springfield shills gtfo

Tardling spotted.
>>
You are going to end up paying more buying all that in a shop than if you got most of it online. And yea, the mat and loader really aren't needed, the mat most of all. If this is your first gun, then yea pick up cleaning supplies and some eye and ear pro.

Guns are a super personal thing, what works for one person may not work for another. And just like with religion and politic issues, some people are assholes and try to force their views on others. Buy what you like and are comfortable with, fuck anyone else who tries to tell you that you are wrong and they are right. Glock-fags are notorious for this kind of shit. Yea sure Glocks are pretty good guns, but they are not perfect for everyone no matter how much their proponents try to ram that word down your throat. Personally, I'm not a fan of the XD9, just felt weird in my hand and I didn't like the recoil impulse. I'm not a fan of .45s, but I actually really liked the XD45.

Personally, I like Sig and CZ, becasue that's what feels best in my hand. That doesn't mean that other guns are bad, just that they are not for me.
>>
>>32790856
you sir, are the voice of reason we all need to aspire to be
>>
>>32790765
Skip everything but the earpro, lube, and cleaning kit. Good ears are worth the money so go ahead and pick those up. Eye protection, on the other hand, is cheap. Don't pay gunstore prices or fall for whatever high-definition gimmick they give you. Go to Home Depot and get something comfortable and with ANSI Z87.1 rating. Shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks.

You don't need a cleaning mat, but if you get one then whatever.

Skip the mag loader. Build up those thumb calluses.

Spend whatever you save on ammo or maybe a spare mag or two.
>>
File: 1296727248161.png (162KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1296727248161.png
162KB, 480x360px
>>32790856
He is correct.

>however
>Glock-fags mentioned.
>Summarizes by shilling for SIG and CZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk
>>
>>32790856
Forgot to add, and this is kindathewh ole point: You are not getting ripped off. Yes you are probably paying a little more than you need to for all the extra accoutrements, but that's just how it is when you buy from a brick and mortar store, they have higher overhead so they sell at a higher markup. 500 for a new XD9 is slightly higher than what you might be able to find online, but then you have to factor in shipping and transfer fees. You are getting an average deal and helping to support a local business, I say go for it if you like the gun.
>>
>>32790874
please learn to read
>>
>>32790877
>helping to support a local business
this, I work at a small guitar shop and can say I appreciate our customers a lot and do my best to keep them happy
>>
>>32790765
mag loader might be pushing it if it's one of those fancy $30 ones, same goes for the cleaning mat

everything else is essential
>>
>>32790765
I'm guessing this is your first gun and you don't already have this stuff? The mat and loader aren't strictly necessary but most people end up with them eventually, I would probably spend that money on more ammo though. Decide for yourself if you want the loader after you load some mags (they will get a bit easier to load after you break them in). Like other anons have said it will probably cost a little more than buying online because of tax+overhead but you can sometimes find good deals at brick and mortar stores. Do your research on prices (don't forget to factor in shipping) but unless they're charging significantly more at the gun store I would support your LGS and help that based old dude who helped you out.
>>
>>32790974
Thanks brah, yeah first time buyer of course i did alot of research and thinking before taking the plunge but being in there holding the things is a whole new world of couse and the old guy was super cool I feel like i should support a local shop
>>
>>32790819
you need most of those things
he just did a good job selling it then and there because accessories have some of the highest profit margins for a store
>>
>>32790874
Please learn the definitions of shill and shilling.
>>
>>32790765
It's ok to support your local businesses, OP.

Sometimes I pay $10 or $20 more something at a local store than ordering it online, just to support my local fun store.
>>
>>32790765
Not gonna lie. A better ammo loader then the shit that was included with Glock was one of the most nonuseless gun related purchases I made.
>>
>>32790765
Never buy an xd. I own one and it has never jammed or gotten a shit grouping or failed me in anyway but /k/ says they are bad so....
>>
>>32790789
>recommending a gun that is weaker than glass wrists
>recommending a gun everyone has to put aftermarket triggers and feed ramps on to be remotely acceptable
Stop.
>>
>>32790789
Don't listen to this, XD's are fine OP.

-aGlockFag
>>
>>32791560
I've never had a problem with the glock brand glock tactical munitions inserter, is there really that much of a difference with an expensive one?
>>
File: 1472668251897.jpg (1MB, 2500x2267px) Image search: [Google]
1472668251897.jpg
1MB, 2500x2267px
Is o/k/
>>
>>32791713
The Glock one works. The loaders with springs just work so much better.
>>
>>32790765

I don't personally like the XD but it will still be a reliable gun and you paid a good price for it. Once you get a full sized 9mm striker fired gun in that price range there's no reason to get another since they're all kind of the same unless you just really like something but I'd have gone with a glock or ppq

Need is a strong word here, you dont need some of those things but it's useful to have them. You do need a set of tough and comfortable hearing and eye protection as well as oils to properly clean your gun, do not let it rust, clean it after shooting it if you wont be shooting again for a week or so and even if you dont shoot it it needs to be stored away from moisture even in the air (Dont take showers with your gun in the same room) and cleaned every 6-10 months especially if you live in a humid state. It can probably go decades in the right case though.

Get one big cleaning mat you can use for rifles too, you can use old rags instead if you're poor but don't get the oil on anything nice either way.

I never liked speed loaders but some people do, you probably won't know until you try it compared to hand loading that's on you
>>
>>32790808
/k/ is basically
>YOUR GUN SUCKS MY GUNS BETTER
the board.
>>
Things needed.

-Cleaning kit (rod+patches)
-Hoppes 9. Not only is this for cleaning, it's your new Cologne as a gun owner.
-Lubricant
-ear protection
-cheap eye protection (hor brass in the eye is not pleasant)
-snap caps for your caliber. These are dunny rounds that let you pull trigger (dry fire) without putting excess wear on gun.

Just use old town for gun mat.
Boresnake is an extra...but same purpose as rod+patches.
>>
>>32790842
I like my ammo loader. I like to fire 200+ rounds of 9mm per range trip, that can wear your thumbs out. $20 well spent, in my book.
>>
File: IMG_0081.jpg (892KB, 2370x2884px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0081.jpg
892KB, 2370x2884px
yeah you got ripped off, but it's not the end of the world. If you enjoy the gun and learn a lot on it so what.

I impulse bought a brand Gen 3 Glock 19 for $529 a while back. Yeah I could have waited and got it for far cheaper online (although with FFL fees I might have saved 30-40 bucks at the most)

But fuck it. I love the shit out of that gun.

people on /k/ will often exaggerate how cheap you can get guns, either because they live in states where they are cheaply available or they found one once on some site that they will never tell you the name of once you grill them on it. Don't worry about it, just do more research next time and most importantly work on your groupings and technique.
>>
>>32792004

Don't really need all of that to be honest.

- Paper towels and a long screwdriver (rod+patches)
- Hoppes is nothing but kerosene and ethanol (http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/files/9d/9dc3db35-232c-4353-bc5c-9b3e79cfc834.pdf). You can do much cheaper per volume by just using kerosene or something, or you can use brake cleaner or WD-40/Liquid Wrench/even Dollar General brand WD-40 works really well for the price point
- Automatic transmission fluid is all the lubricant you ever need, dry graphite for rimfires
- Okay, spend $20-40 and get you a good set of earpros instead of using disposable ones
- And spend another $20-40 on a good set of eye protection. You can get industrial eyepro that isn't marketed towards guns because that'll cost you more
- These aren't necessary. a spent round in the chamber will serve the same purpose.

Old cotton t-shirt for mat, and if you need something abrasive to clean your bore, wrap fine steel wool around a screwdriver and use that.

>I'm a hick, I know how to nigger rig
>>
>>32792043

That's not ripped off. Being such a jew you go to the trouble of going online and wait to have it shipped to same place you just finger fucked the same model gun at to save less than 50$ is dumb. You specifically would have saved like 20$
>>
File: 20170127_083548-3991x2993.jpg (2MB, 3991x2993px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_083548-3991x2993.jpg
2MB, 3991x2993px
>>32792043
I got my gen 4 for $449 brand new from a coast guard exchange. You got ripped the fuck off, son.
>>
>>32792052
>how to gouge your barrel, the post

Seriously, a cleaning kit is like $20 and infinitely safer for a newbie than a rag on a pointy metal rod.

OP, the gun is good, don't go fucking it up by being too cheap to get a decent cleaning kit for it. A cleaning mat is basically an expensive towel, but the rest of the kit is fine for starters. As you learn more, you can decide what works best for you. Shooting is a life long hobby; you've got a lot to learn, just try to enjoy the ride.
>>
>>32790765
your fingers are going to hurt like a little bitch if you havent loaded a mag before, happened to my nogun friends when i took them out, I assume you dont have any of the stuff he offered you so you do need it as a first time user. you can argue against some stuff like the mat but i do recommend it.

but as some people have said, you might find all this stuff cheaper online.
>>
>>32790832
The other half are tardlings that grew up with guns, bought their unicorn, and shill for it incessantly.

AUG IS BEST AR. FUCK STONER.
>>
>>32790765

The extra stuff is extra. You need ear pro, eye pro is a good idea, and the others are necessary but not needed right now.

You have a choice, yes, the salesman was being a good salesman by offering that stuff. If you want to "get into" guns, its most likely best to get the extras so you get in good with him, make a friend, and it will pay dividens down the line.

If you want to be "nice" you can get the stuff, maybe meantion that you noticed some of it was cheaper online but because he was a solid person you bought it off him.

If you dont care, get the ear/eye protection, and decline the rest.
>>
>>32790808
Grip safeties are fucking stupid, but that's the worst thing about the XD. Otherwise it's just a mediocre polymer framed striker fired pistol like most of the rest that aren't P99s or PPQs.
>>
File: IMAG0778_1.jpg (316KB, 1434x1810px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0778_1.jpg
316KB, 1434x1810px
Is it an uplula? They are the shit for loading magazines... Most of the other ones aren't worth it. I'm not a fan of the XD, I'd probably splurge the extra $50ish for a gen 3 glock 19...
>>
>>32791552
This. Sometimes, rape really is OK.
>>
>>32791552
All of that stuff does make shooting easier and more convenient.
All you really need is eyes, ears, $10 Hopped pistol cleaning kit and a bore brush.
I work at Dicks and we don't get commission, but they really push selling accessories since the mark-up on firearms is so low. And after you take all their costs and the time employees spend with customers they don't make much money off most of the lower end guns.

If his store's system was down, I'm surprised he didn't just call it in. That is a lot more work though than submitting it online.
>>
>>32791600
Limp-wrister manlet detected
>>
>>32792085
Exhibit A
>>
>>32792174
Sure, but you've never shot one so you don't realize the grip safety doesn't matter at all when you shoot
>>
>>32790765
If it's your first, then it's smart to get eyes, ears, a universal cleaning kit, the right lubes and cleaners. The mag loader is a nice extra for loading/unloading. A cleaning mat can be helpful but I personally use an old towel instead. Fairly useful if it's specifically for your handgun--with parts diagrams and a complete parts listing. As for the string, I'm assuming he's trying to sell you a bore snake. Some people swear by them, but I've yet to need one.

That said, a Glock 19's magazine is pretty damn easy to load. Never had a problem myself. My 308's have far stronger springs.
>>
>>32792126
I use a hoppes cleaning kit rod, a bag of patches, breakthrough, clp and my old Walgreens shirt as a mat
>>
>>32790856

It is always better to support your local gun store.
>gunsmiths
>personal accountability
>build relationships that lead to better treatment
>all in my area are all heavily involved with activism and support the community

Alternatively, save a few sheckels, let the stores go under, and enjoy the drive to the next town for your $100 transfer, and say goodbuy to the convenience of a local gun smith.
>>
>>32790838
on what planet is >>32790826 a pro shill comment numbnuts?
>>
>>32790765
You always need ear and eye protection. I'd suggest you get the handgun, a Hoppe's cleaning kit for the caliber (make sure you've got a cleaning rod), and an ear/eye protection kit (earmuffs, earplugs, and ANSI glasses).

I'd also suggest a third magazine and ammo. Get enough defense ammo to fill all your magazines, plus a box or two.
>Winchester Ranger-T 147gr
>Federal Micro HST 150gr
>Barnes TAC-XPD +P 115gr
>Corbon DPX 115gr
>Remington Golden Saber 147gr
>Federal HST 147gr
>Federal HST 124gr
>Corbon JHP +P 115gr
>Magtech Guardian Gold +P 115gr
>Speer Gold Dot 115gr

As for practice ammo, basic 115gr FMJ is pretty cheap ($0.20 to $0.30/round) and will do fine while you get down the basics. Shoot one mag's worth of defense ammo right before you leave the range, to ensure that the gun functions reliably when you actually need to use it.

That said, expect a couple failures with the 115gr FMJ. It works fine but it's often under-power, so issues with ejecting or feeding. Great time to learn how to operate your gun if it does jam.
>>
>>32790778
>Ammo loader
Pussies. Ditch that, and use a chance to improve your finger strength. On a bet, I was able to load a mag with my fingers faster than the other person did with a mag loader.
>>
>>32790774
Agreed.
There's always time for lube.
>>
File: headshake.gif (3MB, 280x358px) Image search: [Google]
headshake.gif
3MB, 280x358px
>>32792505
>I'm surprised he didn't just call it in
>>
>>32790765
Nothing wrong with supporting a lgs a little, as they provided a service to you.

Quit being such poorfag
>>
>>32792552
I have shot one, deal with it. Grip safeties don't need to exist.
>>
>>32792651
Gold Dot 124gr or 147gr is my choice.
>>
>>32791715
>October 2014
Are we needing to update that pic any time soon /k/ommandos?
>>
>>32794059
All that really needs to be done is to remove the G17, leaving the 17L and the 34.
>>
File: 1482394784756.jpg (103KB, 600x770px) Image search: [Google]
1482394784756.jpg
103KB, 600x770px
>>32791715
Maybe if the hype is true we can add that Hudson h9 to it next year
>>
File: rexzero1.jpg (2MB, 3784x2860px) Image search: [Google]
rexzero1.jpg
2MB, 3784x2860px
>>32791715
>>32794059
>>32794127

Add the Arex Rex Zero 1
>>
>>32790826
I left /g/ 4 years ago and only recently went back. Something needs to happen there because it actually has become the worst board. And not in "Oh this board talks about stupid stuff" way, there is actually not a single good thread there. Everything is absolute pain to read.
>>
File: 1485295078459.jpg (88KB, 1214x403px) Image search: [Google]
1485295078459.jpg
88KB, 1214x403px
>>32796054
It's the same on every board. Even /k/ has suffered from a drop in quality. It's the nature of things. Something is good (or at least just amusing) long enough that more people become attracted to it and flood in oblivious to what made that thing good in the first place and change it until all that's left is an unfocused cesspool void of its original users and quality. Not even 4chan is immune to this, though it has held out longer than I thought it would.
>>
>>32791715
Why is the Cz p-09 on there but the sp-01 and p-01 isn't?
In my opinion, the p-01 Omega is the best choice.
>>
>>32792629
Plus you actually get to see and hold what you're thinking of buying. This is not trivial.
>>
>>32790982
Another real bonus to supporting locals is hands on customer support. If you have a quality lgs and give them your business, you can get them to help you out when you inevitably screw something up (or when you have a product defect). So maybe you are paying a couple extra bucks for some accessories, think of it as buying goodwill.
>>
>>32790765
You're getting everything you need except reloading gear, as in for making your own bullets.
That's not necessary.
The ammo loader (mag loader?) is also not necessary but it could be the thing that lets you shoot more too, if loading mags ends up being a pain in the butt.
Don't go buy this stuff online, this guy spent time and honestly didn't steer you wrong.
I bought everything you mentioned except the ammo loader, but my gun uses clips so I have a few ammo loaders that came for free with the gun.
Oh, I also didn't get a mat. Probably a bad idea since shit can leak through a towel or whatever else you try to use, so get the mat.

TL;DR he wasn't lying that IS everything you need unless you want to build your own ammo.
>>
>>32791715
>CZ 75 P-09
Delete this. It's just called the P-09.
>>
>>32794044
I also think grip safeties are retarded but I never see anyone talk shit about trigger safeties and they're even more useless.
>>
>>32796347
p-01 is technically a compact. The picture literally says full sized.
>>
>>32793476
???
>>
>>32799468
...seriously? call it in? get em on board... yknow...
>>
>>32791600
Where can I get aftermarket feed ramps for my Glock?
>>
>>32798373
I don't think they're nearly as useless, but yea you could probably get away without them.
>>
>>32791552
GOY/ 10
>>
>>32799681
Not him, but I've shopped my LGS enough that some of the dudes know me and will run transfers for free
>>
If/ when a gun ends up saving your life, even if you're just in a situation where you don't have to draw it and it makes you feel safer just having it on you, you're not going to care you overpaid $40 for it.
>>
>>32791715
Is there one of these made for compacts?
>>
>>32791600
>aftermarket feed ramps
Huh, never heard that one before from a noguns
>>
>>32796347
P-01 is a compact, that list is for full-size.
As for SP-01, I really doubt the inclusion of a rail is going to alter much in terms of the 75B.
>>
>>32790765
I have the xd9. In most cases, it can be cleaned with paper towels, qtips, and clp. You really don't need a cleaning kit for just the one gun. Forget about the mat and ammo loader. Eyes and ears yes. Nothing wrong with being conservative with your cash.
>>
>>32799942
NOpe.

>>32794127
The 59 Series needs to be removed. It's no longer available at a decent price or in large numbers anymore.

Probably add the Canik or some other cheap 9mm in it's place.
>>
>>32790765
You're gonna need all that shit anyways.
>>
>>32799494
4473s r sent over phone all the time.
>>
>>32792154
Agreed 100% my good sir (not any more because that would be silly haha). Stoners are junkie degenerate trash just like any other drug users. I say they should be rounded up and hung.

~xXStr8EdgeXxWARRIOR1998
>>
>>32790774
until he doesnt use a cleaning mat and gets carbon solvent all over the dinner table/carpet and his gf/wife cuts his dick off in his sleep.

you're going to need those things if you plan on being hasguns, OP, might as well buy them now
>>
>>32790789
Im a glock guy but I own an XD in 357sig that I really like.

nothing wrong with XDs now a days, but they used to have problems with the finish and some pins
>>
>>32791713
lulas are pretty nice if you're shooting a lot, just sayin
>>
File: rwTmWZl.jpg (39KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
rwTmWZl.jpg
39KB, 800x600px
>>32792043
trim your nails, Mr President
>>
>>32790819
If he was being nice and an overall bro, you should buy the stuff just to help him out. It's stuff you need anyways or would eventually buy yourself off the internet
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.