[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SBR uses (home defense, SHTF, etc)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: DDM4V7S.png (176KB, 1150x369px) Image search: [Google]
DDM4V7S.png
176KB, 1150x369px
There were a few things that I wondered about SBR weapons.

How many of you guys prefer SBR's over 16" rifles for HD? Since an SBR is louder and would need a suppressor for indoors, what is the point of reducing the barrel length? Plus you are sacrificing velocity that allows 5.56 and .223 to fragment, which is valuable for self-defense. Do you value "room clearing" versus staying put and barricading yourself until the cavalry comes to take out jamal in your house?

And what is the value of an SBR in a SHTF? I never got the whole "muh ounces equal pounds" argument unless you are literally carrying 100 pounds of equipment like soldiers. If you are going to carry that much shit in a SHTF scenario, you will be the first to get ravaged by jamal in the apocalypse.

Educate me please, because I just don't get the value of registering yourself with the feds, paying a sin tax to exercise a right, and dealing with BS laws for a small chance life goes south.
>>
They're cool.
>>
>>32787921

If you're bringing suppressors into it:

A 10" barrel and 6" suppressor is the same as a barrel.
>>
Muh pistol build.
>>
>>32787921
within home defense distances every single 223 will fragment even out of an 10 inch barrel.
that fragmention thingy is just a problem for distances over 300 yards
>>
>>32787970
except for the shit ballistics outside 200yds
>>
you dont fucking want an sbr if you are indoors and its unsupressed
11.5, 10.5, or 7.5 are loud fuck indoors. 16 is loud but tolerable. if youve got a supressor its a different story but most ppl dont have em and with a suppressor its about as long as a 16 anyways.
honestly 20 is perfectly manageable indoors unless you are in a closet or have bodyarmor adding an inch or 2 adding to lop.
>>
>>32788074
Good thing my kitchen isn't 200 yards away from my bed room then.
>>
File: 1469332883407.jpg (26KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1469332883407.jpg
26KB, 500x378px
>>32787970
>>
File: 065.jpg (558KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
065.jpg
558KB, 1920x1280px
>>32788092
>you dont fucking want an sbr if you are indoors and its unsupressed
once EEEEEEEEEEEE kicks in it really dont fucking matter if its a 7.5 or a 20 m8
>>
File: Clean.jpg (1MB, 3900x2052px) Image search: [Google]
Clean.jpg
1MB, 3900x2052px
>>32788092
I have an 18", a 14.5", a 10.3", an 8.5", and an 8". The shorter it is, the more manageable and maneuverable it is. Trying to effectively use a 20" AR indoors would be pants-shitting retarded.
>>
If I thought I was going to get in a gunfight inside my own home, I'd load up my 1911 with Glasers.

Without a permit/tax stamp, a rifle bbl shorter than 16" is a good way to lose all your guns.
>>
I want a suppressed sp5k desu
>>
OP here

An SBR project is years down the road for me since I am currently in college and don't want to deal with NFA BS. I can see the "cool" factor of having one in my collection at some point but for purposes right now I don't want one.
>>
Is there any advantage whatsoever to SBRing something in a pistol caliber like a scorpion evo or SP5 over anything else?
>>
>>32787921
>Since an SBR is louder and would need a suppressor for indoors, what is the point of reducing the barrel length? Plus you are sacrificing velocity that allows 5.56 and .223 to fragment
Get a suppressed .300 BLK SBR.
Problem solved.
>>
why the fuck does no one have electronic-earpro next to their HD gun? noise level doesn't fucking matter if you got muffs on.
>>
>>32787921
>since an SBR is louder and would need a suppressor for indoors
Any centerfire rifle of any barrel length will not be even remotely close to hearing safe indoors, the relatively minor increase in sound at the shooter's ear from the shorter barrel is pissing in a hurricane.
>what is the point of reducing the barrel length?
To get a shorter barrel, duh. This has myriad benefits, although when specifically related to indoor use, maneuverability.
>plus you are sacrificing velocity that allows 5.56 and .223 to fragment, which is valuable for self defense
Use a bonded softpoint or monolithic hollowpoint instead. You are not limited to military ball ammo. Plus they offer better intermediate barrier penetration and better performance against ceramic hard armor.
>do you value "room clearing" versus staying put...
Not particularly, but I like the idea of being able to do either. Not something I can realistically do with a 20" AR, and something that a 10.5" AR would do better than a 16" AR.
>and what is the value of an SBR in SHTF?
Weight and concealability. Odds are you can't fully conceal a 16" barreled rifle under a civilian coat, but you probably can conceal a 10.5" barreled rifle. Getting away from specifically ARs, any rifle with both a folding stock and a <14" barrel could actually have a holster fabricated for it without it being too ungainly.
>I never got the whole "muh ounces equal pounds" argument
Then you have never done a single minute of manual labor.
>unless you are literally carrying 100 pounds of equipment like soldiers
This is a possibility. A more likely scenario is carrying 100lbs of food and water with like 5 pounds of equipment, especially if you're having to scavenge or loot.
>if you are going to carr that much shit in a SHTF scenario, [wild and baseless hot opinion]
hot opinion is both hot and wrong
>educate me please
Already have, not that you'll listen since you seem to have very firm pre-conceived notions based solely off memes.
>>
>>32792880
You can put a stock on it, which means you'll be able to shoot it more accurately.

As far as capability as a fighting "rifle", no it will always always always be outclassed by rifle rounds.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.