[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The US deploys more elite troops in more conflict areas than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: royal marines snipers.jpg (288KB, 1152x839px) Image search: [Google]
royal marines snipers.jpg
288KB, 1152x839px
The US deploys more elite troops in more conflict areas than anyone in the world.
Why do Commiewealth troopers take home the gold, silver, and bronze medals for marksmanship, while the all powerful American military doesn't even have a guy on the podium?
>>
It's the same reason Commonwealth troops tend to be fitter and have much harder Infantry courses - necessity. They don't have thousands of trucks or helicopters so everyone walks. They also spent most of the 20th century perfecting the sort of war that lends itself well to Infantry engagements.

Corporal Bongley of the Queen's First Blokes might be able to hit some goatfucker from 3 miles away or whatever it was with his AI rifle, but Corporal Monstertruck of the USMC can blow up the entire grid square.
>>
>>32781083
Probably because the rest of them are doing fuck all so they have time to practice for competition.
>>
>>32781083

Query: what specific competition are we talking about here?
>>
>>32781090
Very much this. Important to remember that commenwealth sf are pretty much engaged all the time.
>>
>>32781103
The Most Dangerous Game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills
>>
>>32781090
What if you don't want to blow up an entire grid square?
>>
>>32781083
Reminder

Carlos hathcock held the record for 40 years.

With an M2 Browning
>>
File: 1470351828129.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470351828129.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
>>32781177
>>
>>32781200
Shock and awe
A doctrine of immutable perfection.
>>
>>32781083

A competition proves one thing, that the winner prepared and did better at that competition than everyone else. It's impossible to suss out deeper meaning about a military and its ability from these things.

Full respect to the people service members who win those competitions because it isn't easy. But it's not a good test for a force as a whole.
>>
>>32781313

One possible reason is the inter-regimental rivalry in Commonwealth armies. This competitiveness within the service in all sorts of competitive sports probably includes competitive shooting.
>>
>>32781664
You need to isolate precision shooting and operational shooting. They're not one and the same. Elements of one may lead into the other and vice versa, but what I (think) the OP is referring to is the tendency for Commonwealth troops to hold the longest engagement distances with rifles.
>>
File: 1426689143991.jpg (24KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
1426689143991.jpg
24KB, 594x395px
>>32781090
>the Queen's First Blokes
>>
>>32781187
He also hath an amazing name
>>
>>32781664

It could foster a competitive mindset which is always good for such things. But I still lean towards looking at at competitor as a single example rather than an indicator about the rest of the unit/military.

Case in point, I'm a reservist and in my unit we have a Soldier who runs track for the college. He ran his last two mile in sub 11 minutes and apparently has a decent chance of making it to the Olypmics. His ability says nothing about the state of our units running, which is average, and everything about his own ability/preparation/performance.
>>
>>32781773
>>32781818

My mistake, I had assumed the OP was referring to some winning in a international military competitive shooting match, from what he wrote.
>>
>>32781083
You ever see who the US sends to these things?

Special Ops the world over gather for some fucking stupid thing, US sends Marine Force Recon because they didn't have anything going on that week.
>>
>>32781934
He's referring to the 1.5 mile plus kills made in Afghanistan by Canadian and British snipers.
>>
>>32781115
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

IIRC Craig Harrison killed a weapon crew of three with four shots at that distance, so he should really have the top three slots.
>>
>>32784387
Just checked, two guys with 9 ranging shots then two back to back kills, so gold and silver.
>>
>>32781187
>Carlos hathcock held the record for 40 years.

Duration means nothing if no one was competing for most of the time
>>
>>32784465
>wars didn't occur between 1967 and 2004
>>
>>32781187
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills
>USMC Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock's confirmed 2500-yard kill in Vietnam was primarily due to the enemy soldier stopping his bicycle on the spot Hathcock had fired at while sighting in his Browning M2 heavy machine-gun.

In other words, a freak accident.
>>
>>32781177
Then they don't let you in the Marines.
>>
>>32781115
This is purely situational. Any competent sniper could make those shots. Only a few have the opportunity.
>>
>>32784771
Wrong nigger, hathcock knew exactly where that bullet was going
>>
File: 50bmg914.jpg (150KB, 914x724px) Image search: [Google]
50bmg914.jpg
150KB, 914x724px
>>32781187
>>
File: beady.jpg (25KB, 490x313px) Image search: [Google]
beady.jpg
25KB, 490x313px
>>
>>32784895
+1 internet
>>
things that can get reported/confirmed at those distances dont happen often
>>
>>32785064
Because he literally just hit the same spot and hadn't moved the gun.
>>
>>32781664
otoh in the US you can compete in PRS or other long-range shooting competitions relatively easily. And guys on the civilian side (eg: Brian Litz) in those competitions are responsible for some of the biggest advancements in long-range precision shooting since the 90s.
>>
>>32781083
we need to be really careful with MUH COMPETITIONS

Not everyone enters every competition, there are dozens of "international" competitions and a bunch of them will have a handful of teams actually compete and winners of said competitions will be SUPER WORLD CHAMPIONS

I remember when a Chinese team won some contest a while back and the only other participants were middle eastern swat teams and banana republic commandos but the shills were out in full force for a year or so screeching China stronk.
>>
>>32784771

>tfw so good he could kill people without even trying.
>>
>>32784771
Hathcock says in an interview that he had already zeroed and was taking aim at a VC. He would've missed though if the guy hadn't stood up to catch the bullet with his teeth, as he was slightly off on his dope.
>>
>>32786276
But he still did it
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.