[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First aid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17

So you carry - either casually, or as a hunter, or on the range. You got ammo. Do you have any first aid gear on your body as well?
>>
Personally I keep a small first aid set as part of all emergency and traveling gear. Got one in the bug out kit, one in the car, and one in the backpack. Hardly a miniature medical station but there's always something to close a small wound with and something to cover it up with as well. Won't help for that abdominal or chest cavity wound but I am not going to bleed to death from a minor wound. Bullet or not.
>>
>>32781023
I always take a small first aid kit with me when I go to the range, and have a much more equipped one in the trunk of my car.
I thought it would be a good idea when I found out that one of the new members likes to "leave a round in the gun for the range officer to shoot" in the range guns..
>>
File: 1485035727257.png (251KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1485035727257.png
251KB, 500x375px
>>32781074
>"leave a round in the gun for the range officer to shoot"

Pic related

I carry a small medical kit in my range bag with coagulant, pressure bandage, tourniquet, and chest seal.
>>
I always have a tourniquet and combat gauze with me in my backpack. I have a small first aid kit when I go to the range which contains a couple of gauzes, tourniquets, scissors, chest seals, and airway management tools.
>>
File: 1484916039779.png (127KB, 479x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484916039779.png
127KB, 479x500px
>>32781074
>leave a round in the gun for the range officer to shoot
I think you should be a little worried by this new member who is intentionally trying to get someone killed.
>>
File: 14854376114161189017943.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
14854376114161189017943.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>32781023
Thats about the stuff from my bob.
Steril, hydrophil cotton
Two "individual bandage packs" old and new
1 gaze
1 big bandage and compress
1 box of 10x 50mg Flector EP
1 Torniquet
And an entire bag of utility material for platoon Sani or Sanisoldier.
>>
I never found a good first aid lecture. I think it's not going to help having tools I know nothing about.

If I were to see a guy with a fresh hole, I guess I'd take some cloth I got and push it on the hole until someone more competent takes over

Ranges here have a legal obligation to have first aid kits tho so I'm not all that worried [spoiler]plus yurop shooters are extra professional[/spoiler]
>>
>>32781420

Seriously? How did you manage to AVOID first aid lectures? I had them as boy scout, as part of getting a drivers license, and as part of being a soldier - I think we even had some of that in high school.
>>
>>32781420
>European
>First aid mandatory for drivers licence
Minor detected.
>>
>>32781420
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1oVbhOmg5I

>>32781023
My only medical experience was a week long course at some point during my time in the Army. I always kept an IFAK in my car and hadn't touched it in years. Then in the course of a month I ended up either witnessing or being the first person to come across 3 car accidents. One was just small cuts/bruises, one was a broken arm/leg/shoulder, and one where the driver was dead as shit.
>>
>>32781420
Paramedic here. don't worry about wound packing. just stop bleeding stop bleeding stop bleeding.

tourniquets are your friend.
>>
>>32781552
Just remember to write down the time you applied it. Would be a shame if hed lost a limb.
>>
>>32781619
meme. EMS should get there relatively soon and getting the time within 20 minutes should not make too much of a difference. just let the medics know when they get there.

the reality is a tourniquet can be on for hours. medicine is better now at saving limbs, and on top of that, many of the limbs lost that were tourniquetted were not lost because of the tourniquet, but required tourniquets because of being unsavable mangled (and mangled limb bleeds much much worst than a severed limb btw)
>>
>>32781680
Just a habit of the army. In the field an evac does not come fast.
>>
>>32781552

Incidentally. How about paracords, meaning thin rope, or those plastic zip(?) locking threads, as torniquet? They are pretty thin but I don't always wear anything wide strap like on me.
>>
File: IMG_2865.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2865.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I am here to share knowledge. I do not have any scheduled patients in the clinic today so I'm just fucking off to travel to set up my move.
>>
File: IMG_8632.jpg (2MB, 2448x2117px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8632.jpg
2MB, 2448x2117px
Not an EDC but on my first line (gunfighter belt)

TQ on outside, Needle D, NPA in mail
>>
>>32781708

Excellent. Got any suggestions on improvised blood stopping potions or remedies? I am aware of bark poultices; anything else?
>>
>>32781705
you don't want think you want wide. belts are actually pretty shitty, but they'll work in a pinch.

more width thought meeds more compression of the artery over a greater, increasing peripheral vascular resistance, and also less damage to vasculature from from the compression.

a peice of fabric, such as piece of ripped shirt the width of your hand, wound tight with a pen, will be decently effective. thought purpose built military used tourniquets are the only ones i'd bet my life on. if you want a first aid kit, buy a CAT

Also ratchet straps with said ratchet will work well if you have one on hand. on femoral bleeds you will likely need two tourniquets next to each other to stop bleeding

>>32781703
well then you know what your doing. Bystander first aid has to be modified a lot due to the lack of training or resources. For example, bystander CPR should be chest compression only and literally nothing more. no rescue breaths
>>
>>32781725
Be wary of homeopathic hempstatic agents as they are often insufficient for what would be termed "catastrophic hemorrhage".
>>
>>32782592
Hemostatic*
>>
>>32781023

Yes. I carry an ifak and a trauma kit when I'm innawoods, an IFAK at work and an IFAK, trauma kit and some field-expedient medicine in the car.
>>
>>32781023
Walking around the streets? Nope.

Hunting? Generally a full IFAK with some extra stuff.

Out on the trail or in the mountains for an extended period? Same as hunting but add splints, anti-inflammatory meds, pain meds, epipens.
>>
Incidently, what are the pro's opinions about superglue as part of a first aid kit? It's probably the cheapest thing out there to close a cut, short of safety pins.
>>
>>32782972
No. Just NO.
>>
>>32783015

Funny. I think someone once told me that, word for word, about drinking alcohol and about having non-marital intercourse. Try again and be a teensy bit more detailed.
>>
>>32781420
where are you from anon
>>
>>32781402
Get three tourniquets. At least two
>>
>>32781455
Most of it is common sense. I leaned more from a Red Cross class than being in the muhreenes
>>
>>32782972

Not the best, not the worst. I wouldn't do it in lieu of soon-to-arrive medical assistance, but if you're way out or in a bad place and it might be hours or even days before you can get help, it can work. I carry duct tape for field-expedient closure, though, because the minor tearing that will occur when the medical staff takes the tape off is still better than leaving them to have to get super-glue out of the wound. Plus, if you use a few strips of duct tape and good dressing, you can tend to the wound and keep it sterile and debrided a lot easier.
>>
>>32781023
My mom is a nurse. I have a tub full of medical equipment from IV's to all sorts of gauze and bandages and anti bacterials. No painkillers though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32784442
Pic related is said tub
>>
>>32784470

Very nice. What's the Frankenstein thing?
>>
>>32784415

Ah. Yeah, obviously the glue is for when you don't know when or if anyone are coming. And obviously there is a risk that fragments could get closed in with the wound. But I thought the ER routinely kept dissolvent handy. But at least the glue isn't counterproductive as in making the wound worse, right??
>>
>>32784498
Lmfao. It's a lab coat. It says Frankenstein because my aunts work was doing a party thing on Halloween and she asked my mother for decor (test tubes, needles and what not) still works great as a lab coat in a jiffy!
>>
>>32784524
It would behoove you to itemize everything.
>>
>>32784508

It can be.

I'll tell ya what, give me three scenarios likely to occur in your life, and I'll tell you what you could be using.
>>
>>32784840

I'll give you one for starters. I am on a fishing trip, a day's walk into the mountains where the phone don't work, when my knife slips badly and cuts deep into the palm of my hand. Between glue and having to sew up my palm with a fishing hook and fish line, I won't mind further suggestions. But I'd like to keep my hand.

Incidentally something close to this happened a few years ago to my dad. My mom was with him so they got to the hospital in time but there was a good bit of sewing and blood loss. Me, I always go alone on my trips.
>>
Ever since I witnessed 4 people crashing bikes at high speed in a no service zone. I always always keep a first aid kit near me. I was lucky someone else had one that I could use because it was over an hour and a half before we could get an ambulance to show up.
Three of those people who crashed went to the hospital. The fourth guy was lucky and just scraped his elbow.

One of them hit their head so hard that they passed out and had a seizure, another broke both his elbows. Always keep a first aid kit with you and know your shit.
>>
>>32784831
Everything? Nay my good sir. There's too much and I don't know shit all about most of it save the important stuff.
>>
>>32784981
Lay it all out and I will tell you; or hell, ask your mom.
>>
>>32784992
All right. One minute.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32784992
>>
Well, there is definitely some allergy medicine, a couple of belts, at least two liquids dosaging syringes, some band aids...
>>
...shoe covers...
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785101
I could probably start an iv I've had it done so many times
>>
>>32785050
This triggers all the people who had to lay out stuff.
>>
...urine sample boxes...
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785131
>>
>>32785124

I think I'll let the pro's here judge. I am however fairly sure that those syringes on that pic are not available in common apothecaries - but this varies from country to country. Why'd you need lots of IV's anyway - got some illness or practicing fun sports?
>>
>>32785124
Those are vanish point needles for injections. I'm not seeing needle catheters for actually starting IV's, broski.

>>32785050
Good Lord. Lay that shit out like you're a grown-up or I can not help you.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785188
Oh
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785188
None of these would do the trick?
>>
>>32785213

That one's handy. Once a long long time ago I as climbing over some planks and skewered myself on a rusty iron nail. Got iodine on it and never had an issue afterwards.
>>
>>32785244
There is also a topical cream she has that contains silver that's supposed to be very good. Used it on a lizard bite.
>>
>>32785259

I want to hear the name of that one.
>>
>>32785236

I'm not the expert on this stuff. But I don't see the needle that goes into the vein anywhere here.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785300
There's a lot
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Good ol' lidocaine
>>
There's loads of stuff for sure. If I got this on my door, I'd pick out the bits and pieces with an immediate first aid potential and put them in my carry kit, and put the rest into a box marked 'medical survival gear'. It could come in handy in a prolonged emergency situation, if someone with proper medical training comes along.
>>
>>32784897

Honestly, I'd tape it or glue it, but I wouldn't sew it with fishing line.

>stop/slow bleeding, wipe away the wetness
>multiple 1/2" strips of REAL duct tape or one big one
>if you can't get it to slow enough, pour water on it and then glue it
>debride wound and salve it if you want with neosporin/fish mucus/petro jelly
>dress it
>get together as much clean water as you can, make sure you've got some hearty chow and start heading back down the mountains
>>
>>32785388

Surface painkiller jelly. It doesn't actually treat the wound. Still, good stuff - I was on a camp place when a guy managed to get burned on some hot metal. Took an hour to drive to the hospital and he hurt all right.
>>
>>32785450
>>debride wound and salve it if you want with neosporin/fish mucus/petro jelly

I don't think I understood any of those words. And fish mucus? What?
>>
>>32785503

1. Use your google-fu

2. Fish mucus can work as an emergency wound ointment
>>
>>32785539

Debriding makes sense in a badly mangled wound, I guess. Not in a burn wound, hopefully? But the fish slime thing is genius.
>>
>>32785609

Debride anything that's mangled or surface cut (don't do it if your guts are exposed or you've been stabbed or shot)

Depends on the burn, how you got burned, if there's clothing on the burn, etc.
>>
>>32785236
Is this bait?

Does anyone actually want a class on this? Am I about to do Table VIII's on the fucking internet?
>>
>>32785673
Why not. Knowledge is power after all.
>>
>>32785673

I would not do this kind of stuff unless the patient would die for certain if nothing was done. And the risk is huge. But since I am stocking medical supplies anyway for a theoretical disaster, it would be interesting what gear I'd need for something like that. Or, rather, the needs of the medically trained person that I am handing my supplies over to.
>>
>>32785656

I should debride a cut, although deep, that I got ten minutes ago?

A typical campfire burn is when someone is putting some more branches on the fire and overturns a kettle that's already boiling. So, small area third degree burn?
>>
>>32784897
>cut deeply into the palm of your hand
>eat the pain
>>
>>32785749

What I'm talking about is just a thorough washing and wiping of the cut. Not all debridement is surgical or mechanical, this is why peroxide is known as an oral debriding agent.

If it's a serious burn on open skin, put some burn ointment if you can and wrap it, then seek medical attention. If you don't have ointment, still wrap it loosely and seek help.
>>
>>32785863

Burn ointment. Sanitation alcohol jelly will be useful for that, right?
>>
>>32785988

Why don't you just buy some actual burn ointment?

The rule of thumb is always use what you can, but alcohol based substances and burns aren't best friends.
>>
File: IMG_2959.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2959.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32785673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuOIcxJTIY

Needle does not stay in vein; catheter stays in vein; occlude harder - keep line clean before during and after insertion. DO NOT GET SHIT IN THE VEIN
>>
File: IMG_2808.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2808.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32786961
BAD INFANTRY! BAD! NO MORE CLS FOR YOU!
>>
just bring what you can use.
For me, it's antiseptic, superglue, and a shitton of gauze and ACE wrap.
>>
>>32786968

Wanna hear a funny story involving CLS?
>>
>>32786968
basically, the biggest thing is once you put a hole in a closed system, stuff wants to come out which is a bigger danger than most things
>>
>>32786985
Only if I get to tell one
>>
>>32781023
On my body? No.

I do keep a trauma kit (2 CAT-T's, shitload of crinkle gauze, 2 quikclot sponges, israeli bandage, NPA+lube, duct tape, red sharpie) in the car in a velcro backed IFAC stuck to the back of the driver's seat, and I have basic OTC's (immodium, uncoated aspirin, tylenol) in the armrest.

If I could figure out a good way to keep them from rolling around I'd also keep a SAM splint in there, in case of compound fractures or suspected neck injuries.
>tfw you know there isn't shit you could do for a suspected spinal injury below C5 other than leave in place and hope the car doesn't get hit again or catch fire
>>
>>32781705
How can you possibly go about your day without a belt?

Belts make great tourniquets.
>>
>>32783308
How about "if it gets in the wound, someone else is going to have to get it back OUT of the wound"

I mean, if you have a severe, arterial-bleeding cut across a major joint and that's the ONLY thing you have on hand that has even a snowball's chance of stopping it, sure. But 99.9% of the time either regular bandaging or pressure dressings will do the same thing without additional pain and damage later when they have to dig it all out of you.
>and if the wound's severe enough to require a tourniquet, superglue ain't doing shit
>>
>>32782592
Beware of anything homeopathic as that literally means its bullshit. Homeopathic medicine's main doctrine is that the more you dilute a substance/medicine the stronger it becomes... Fuckin dark ages shit
>>
>>32787007

Of course you do, doc.

>be me
>been through CLS courses 3 tones
>come off active
>to a do-little Guard unit
>they're extremely short on medical staff
>I'm one of the only enlisted with a current CLS that didn't sleep through the classes and is damn good
>start supporting doc
>with 300 soldiers, there isn't enough of doc to go around
>half of unit eventually assumes I'm a medic
>start getting billeted as one for unit events
>haven't done my actual MOS in any detail in a long time
>I tell people my MOS
>oh
>>
>>32781023

I usually have a small man bag with me, or very damn close to me all the times, even at work. It has a first aid kit in it, so it does bring a small piece of mind. I do have training for every thing I carry in it.
>>
>>32787467
Belittled for being a medic? Fuck. I've heard the stories; never thought much of them. Guess who's not getting their Flexaril fix?

>Medic
>Infantry Batt
>Worst duty station
>no, really
>Standing outside in 109 with 98% humidity
>Brigade formation
>Why?

Patch over ceremony, of course! Some nothing-ass guard unit wants some of our training resources and Big Boss will be damned before they get to wear OUR patch so we will stoop to wearing theirs.

>All batts and batteries out in formation
>ACU's and Berets
>Hot. As. Fuck.

cont
>>
>>32787572
>like for real hot
>like Satan licking the dew that forms on the stalactites over the boiling pits of hell for relief hot.
>like, fourgy or a fivesome in a honey-loo brand port-a-shitter in the middle of a mosh pit during a Cannibal Corpse show at the Mayhem Fest in Dubai hot
>SGM of our outfit has deigned that all personnel will have a water source hidden on their person
>SGMs of other outfits do not
>One medic
>7 outfits
>nightmare

Wasn't all bad, though, the next batt over had TWO jerk-offs with aid bags! Unfortunately...

cont
>>
>>32786961
I'm a basic EMT, not para, and this guy's not fucking with you. I've assisted with these a bunch.
>>
When I go out to the range or hunting usually I have a tourniquet tightened down on all 4 of my limbs, a decompression needle in both of my lung chambers, and an npa in both of my nostrils and combat gauze stuffed into all of my orifices(mouth, ears, anus) just in case something happens.
>>
File: IMG_2945.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2945.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32787661
>the inevitable happens
>some cock-bite in the next formation over goes down and is quietly surfed to the rear
>I figure, "that's fine, they've got him"
>nope
>1SG nudges me
>"you see that over there?"
>two fuck-monkies kneeling by heatstroke, slapping his face, and generally doing their best impression of a Three Stooges routine while their aid bags lay to the side
>"you better go help 'em, Doc"
>Rush over
>it's too hot for this bullshit
>"move"
>they do

So, it turns out that the 1SGT's were in a friendly pissing contest, and when they had seen that we had 1 medic, they figured "hey, we'll have two!" Only problem was, they were not...exactly medics (at least I hope they weren't, Holy Lord)

>But it's ok! 2LT Buttersnatch once heard someone use the words "saline lock"
>"Just give him a saline lock! That's what he needs; a saline lock!"
>ask one of the "medics" to give me his bag - my stuff is for my guys
>he does not want to
>"dude, give me your fucking bag"
>he does.

I shit you not, his aid bag was full of kerlix and crumpled up newspaper. NEWSPAPER. FUCK I'M STILL MAD

>"you've gotta be shitting me"
>other dude has a pulse ox
>at least we know heatstroke isn't dead now
>"fuck all of you"
>poke heatstroke, push fluid
>slump heatstroke over my shoulders
>carry to FLA
>recruit non-retards to watch him
>look back as some other cunt-nugget is being surfed to the rear

Goddamn, man, I honestly hate to think how many mothers' sons would die every summer if they let 'em.
>>
>>32787724
I like your style dude
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.