[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Das Boot in /k/'s top 5 films?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: db4.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
db4.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Is Das Boot in /k/'s top 5 films?
>>
Definitely one of top ten war movies of all time.
>>
Yeah. The others are the following:

Full metal jacket
Hacksaw ridge
Paths of glory
Gettysburg?
>>
>>32779875
NOT YET KOMMERADEN!

TORPEDO ENTFERNT!

>tfw you were born too late to carry out unrestricted torpedo attacks on the cocksure british
>>
>>32779875
It's probably my favorite war film of all time.
>>
>>32780047
>Shitty meme comedy
>No Come And See
>No Liberation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bio15RVSOYk
>>
>>32779875
Yes. One of my all time favorites.
>>
>>32780057
This. It's also objectively the best one.
>>
>>32779875
I really like apocalypse now.
>>
>>32779875
In no particular order
Generation war
band of brothers
the pacific
Admiral
das boot
>>
Yes. Definitely in top 5
>>
>>32779875
Definitely a good movie.
>>
>>32781252
>It's also objectively the best one.

Is it? Explain.
>>
Okay, I will bite. Das Boot is
- based on the memoirs of a German submarine captain who was in the Atlantic during the war.
- directed by Wolfgang Petersen, who skills as a naval director still has not been rivaled - and that is 30 years since this movie was made
- filmed in a replica submarine which unlike other movie props have NOT been blown up to 50% over the actual proportions
- filmed in a whole boat shell, instead of in a cutout which is the normal. the camera guys had to wear helmets because it was so narrow inside that they kept hitting everything.
- filmed with an entirely german actor crew. I strongly suggest watching it with german sound and english subtext unless you are good at technical german.
- depicts normal soldiers and officers, not cartoonish Krauts.
- does not gloss over life in a submarine. Dirt, pain, grossouts, its all there
- does not have a glamorous hollywood ending

Frankly the only thing I wish had been changed is that the original soundtrack had been entirely in german, rather than doing it in english first. But the dubbing is done by the same actors in both versions.
>>
Oh, and the replica is based on the last existing real submarine of the type and on the original factory blueprints.
>>
>>32781880
Three of those aren't films.
>>
>>32784166
Based on a photographer's story, not a CO's.
>>
Is the theatrical version worthwhile? It's the only one on Netflix and I can't find a good torrent anywhere.
>>
Threads is my top favorite, although I haven't seen Das Boot yet.
>>
>>32784372

I checked. You are right, I misremembered. Lothar-Günther Buchheim was indeed a war correspondent. But he wrote the book the movie is based on, after being on a german sub - U-96 - during ww2.
>>
>>32784460

The full movie is almost 3 hours long. The pieces they cut away for the shorter version are quiet moments and little unessential chats. I feel they belong there but it's one helluva movie without them too.
>>
>>32779875
>those sexy combination caps
Why can't they look that awesome today?
>>
>>32784595

What is a combination cap?
>>
File: image.jpg (418KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418KB, 960x1440px
>>32779875
It was the #1 submarine movie until this fine film unseated it.
>>
>>32784646
Kelsey Grammer's shining moment IMO
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.