[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

G19

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 16

Gun Virgin just bought my first weapon ever, a glock 19 gen iV with 3 magazines, 550 before tax, looking around it seems like a pretty average decent price.

Does anybody have any advice in ownership and maintenance? Any general advice to a gun Virgin? Thanks in advance, /k/
>>
>>32775512
I wouldnt dry fire it too much, just ask BOOF what that causes. invest in soe good night sights and plenty of ammo and practice as often as you can.
>>
File: 1484420058257.jpg (197KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484420058257.jpg
197KB, 1200x900px
>>32775512
What was the intended purpose of the gat? CC? Or plinking?

Assuming the former, make a habit of going to the range with it as much as you can. It's fun, and you'll learn a lot about how you best handle a firearm - which you can use to determine what guns you want to get in the future.

That said, you don't have to buy expensive ammo to practice with, try out gunbot and ammoseek to get good deals on ammo, because depending on how much gun experience you have, you'll need a good amount of ammo. You can even go cheap with steel or aluminum case ammo, glock can handle it.

Cleaning. Again, "muh glock perfection" but you should make a habit of cleaning it at minimum every 500 rounds, ideally every time you get back from the range. Hoppes no 9 or ballistol both are great, and cleaning kits are cheap and effective.

All this applies to the later, plinking, but the exception would be if it's for CC, get some 147 grain hornady XTP (personal opinion) or shop around for +P ammo to practice with.
>>
>>32775512
>>32775512
If it's just for target shooting all you need is ammo. Night sights are a reasonable upgrade for concealed carry and a mounted light is reasonable if you want to use it for home defense. That's a great firearm for a very average price. Check out the FAQ in the /k/ sticky for information to git gud. The FAQ on reddits CCW and guns subreddit a are another good resource. If you're not a self starter with these kind of things then go take some classes. The NRA courses are a good choice, with basic pistol being the base level if you're a complete noob to pistols. If you are a self starter with this then go take classes anyway.

Dry firing is fine. Dry fire practice is invaluable for learning to shoot well. I advise cleaning every time you shoot, just look up Glock 19 clean on YouTube. It's not necessary everytime but the longer you put it off, the more difficult it is to get the crud off. Grab a 10$ hoppes kit for your 9mm and cut up an old t shirt for a rag.

Buy whatever is cheap for the range that isn't reloaded/remanufactured. Steel case is fine and alot cheaper. I like sgammo.com

Get hollow points and run a box or two through to make sure it functions with the defensive ammo you pick if youre going to use it for self defense. I like federal HSTs but there's a gorillion good choices out there.
>>
>>32775512
Also look up the 4 rules of firearm safety and take them seriously. If you're going to carry then it needs to be religion to you.
>>
>>32775559
>wouldnt dry fire it
You have to dry fire it to disassemble it. Dryfire practice is one of the best things you can do for your marksmanship.
>>
File: breech2[1].jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
breech2[1].jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>32776396
>>32776426

Glock breech faces crack off with too much dry firing. Use snapcaps if you're gonna be doing much of it.
>>
>>32775512
You should buy more magazines, but do not buy ETS/Korean/Magpul garbage. Stick with Glock OEM mags.
Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, or anything loading a 124gr Hornady XTP bullet is decent self defense ammo.
Speer Lawman Cleanfire is what you want for range ammo. I prefer 147gr because suppressors.
You don't need aftermarket sights, but it's a good option. Just remember that you line up the front and rear sights TOP TO TOP, not dot to dot or cup to ball.
The XC1 is the only pistol light I'd consider for concealed carry, but it's just too expensive for what it offers.
Steel case ammo is 100% fine, but avoid Tula.
>>
>>32776450
That's not true. I mean, you can believe it if you want to, but other factors must've been at play there.
>>
>>32776450
Seconding >>32776501
I've had my g19 for over 2 years, and dry fired it plenty without this happening.
>>
File: P1010012[1].jpg (96KB, 1024x549px) Image search: [Google]
P1010012[1].jpg
96KB, 1024x549px
>>32776501
>>
File: breechface2[1].jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
breechface2[1].jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>32776805
>>
>>32776195
+P will wear out your gun faster
>>
>>32776842
+P would be meant for personal defense, so not general practice. Just occasional practice so he's not fucked by being unfamiliar with +P defense rounds.
>>
>>32776466
ETS and magpul are both fine. The Magpul ones had issues very very early but the company issues a huge apology and recall and it's been fine ever since

I agree about the korean mags though, same as their AK mags, just avoid them. The ETS ones are about the same price and miles better.
>>
File: breechface-crack[1].jpg (33KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
breechface-crack[1].jpg
33KB, 600x450px
>>32776838
>>
>>32776953
I like the magpul ones for the range, but they are not fine. They crack pretty quickly if you drop a partially loaded mag on the concrete.
The ETS assault clips are pretty neat, but as someone who owns all of the ETS glockazines I can tell you that they suck big hairy donkey balls for flush use. The 17 rounders in the G26 are fine, as are the extendos, but they expand when kept loaded. I still keep them loaded, though.
>>
File: BREACHFAIL[1].jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BREACHFAIL[1].jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>32777017
>>
File: breechface_damage_12[1].jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
breechface_damage_12[1].jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>32777038
>>
File: Breechface_zps833163f4[1].jpg (73KB, 612x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Breechface_zps833163f4[1].jpg
73KB, 612x1024px
>>32777080
>>
>>32776842
>+P will wear out your gun faster
not in the average user's lifetime. are you really planning on passing your Glock 19 down to your fucking grandchildren?
>>
File: snapcapfgt.jpg (383KB, 800x743px) Image search: [Google]
snapcapfgt.jpg
383KB, 800x743px
>>32776501
>>32776762

Sigh, it can happen, even with striker guns. Guys I dry fire a fuck load too, just use snap caps you get like 2-3k trigger pulls out of each one.
>>
>>32775512
Don't shotgun a bullet into the chamber. You'll fuck up your ejector.
>>
>>32776842
If this can handle 40 then it can definitely handle even the hottest +p rounds. And problems dry firing, this board doesn't even put any effort in trolling anymore
>>
>>32776842
>oh lord I shot 200k rounds of 124 grn instead of 250k rounds of 115 and now I have to replace my $500 gun 50k rounds earlier

you people don't deserve oxygen
>>
>>32777612
>wearing out snap caps
you know, you could just actually shoot your fucking gun...
>>
>>32775559
this is shit advice
>>
File: 3463457345.jpg (628KB, 2088x3584px) Image search: [Google]
3463457345.jpg
628KB, 2088x3584px
>>32775512
Get a dank meme backplate
>>
>>32776450
too much is 100,000s its a non issue
>>
>>32777643

I do, I have no life so my ad-vocations are everything, I shoot as much as financially possible on top of dry firing.
>>
File: 457458645.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
457458645.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32775512
Email Glock about your purchase and how much you love it. Really jew the fuck out of it, mention future purchases because of how awesome their gun is. Add your address.

They will send you a care package.
>>
>>32777645
>live fire practice is shit advice
kys

>>32777661
I would rock that, but it's some niche bitch that does that engraving, and too much hassle to mess with.

>>32777682
if you have that much love for it, and that much free time, you should be shooting in local competitions. doing well funds ammo and going to state/regional competitions. doing well in that, attracts sponsors.
>>
>>32777750

I'll spare you the blog but I live in one of the lowest population density areas of our country. Only local comp is an IDPA "locals only" fudd match run by an already exclusive fudd club that has no interest in my type.

>paying dues on top of fees to shoot faggot dated drills with old morons
>>
>>32777786
> exclusive fudd club that has no interest in my type
>paying dues on top of fees to shoot faggot dated drills with old morons
I reading that as either:
"I'm a pill popper that lives in a holler, on SSI disability, in rural Kentucky"
or
"I have neither self-esteem nor social skills"

either can be overcome if you care. you'd be surprised the pride that comes from, little ol-you, showing up and destroying those faggots or even placing well. I guarantee you, doing in anyway decent on your first try, will impress the hell out of them. biases drop out the window once you demonstrate ability. you think these faggots do cheer ghetto nogs running the sports-ball well every sunday?
>>
>>32775559
Yeah though there is the chance of damaging the breech face, it's fucking minisicule and even competitors dry fire many tens of thousands of times without issues. Just don't worry about it OP, dry fire is how you practice for free.
>>
File: BrokenGlockBreachface[1].jpg (36KB, 387x358px) Image search: [Google]
BrokenGlockBreachface[1].jpg
36KB, 387x358px
>>32777140
>>
>>32777895
Well you can project or falsely infer as much as you want. Doesn't make anything I said less factual. I deal with clients professionally so I'm not an autiist, at least not socially.

Maybe you're not some kind of omnipotent wizard and there are communities that exist outside of your preconceived notions?
>>
File: MySafety.jpg (214KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MySafety.jpg
214KB, 1024x768px
>>32775512
Your not supposed to shoot Lead bullets or Handloads through it.
The copper colored grease is there from the Factory. It is like a lapping compound or anti sieze grease. Don't wipe it off, just let it wear off.
Remember Finger off of the trigger unless pointed down range and about to fire.
>>
>>32778031
>I deal with clients professionally
>lowest population density areas of our country
so over the phone?

look, I don't care if you work remotely for BestBuy customer service. the fact is you are the one implying you won't be accepted by people that love competitive shooting, because of some sort of undescribed bias. are you a displaced urban youth, is that what it is?
>>
>>32778195
>It is like a lapping compound or anti sieze grease
those are not the same thing. like, not even close.
>>
>>32778236

Once again your naivety is on demonstration. I live in one of the lowest population density areas of the country and your impression is we all live in trailers? We probably get our mail by train too right?

Do your self a favor and just stop talking.
>>
>>32778301
Then tell us, why do you assume the fudds would not like you?
>>
>>32778301
what am I supposed to think?
you say you live in a rural area and your local shooting group won't accept you. I assume severe autism, some economic, or racial differences, but you imply those aren't the case.

I'm left with you being a massive fag that can't help from making it other peoples' problem, or a tr... oh fuck, that's it!
you're a tranny that can't pass, amirite?
>>
Nice. Got a Glock 19 Gen 3 for not much less (yeah i paid too much for it, whatever) a few months back. It's not my first gun but it's the one I shoot the most.

As for maintenance. It's better to underlube a glock than overlube it. You only want oil on the barrel lug, the barrel, the hood of the slide near the barrel, the connector (that little L shaped thing on the back of the receiver) and the sides of the slide. Be very careful about the last two spots though. You don't want to get lube in the firing pin channel. I probably messed this up and will most likely have to take the whole thing apart at one point.
>>
>>32776450
Those cracks are probs from dropping the slide while empty. I only think that because ive dry fired my 17, 34, and 17L HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF TIMES each, and not one of them has cracked at the breech like that.
>>
File: 1476837787267.jpg (158KB, 850x547px) Image search: [Google]
1476837787267.jpg
158KB, 850x547px
>>32775512
>any advice "on" ownership

Change out the sights. Other than that do NOT switch anything out. Shoot the snot out of it, run it through drills, then see to buying upgrades like an extended mag release, slide release lever, etc when you start to see where your deficiencies lie. I think people are fucking themselves when they're trying to constantly upgrade their Glocks when they can't shoot at any sort of meaningful degree of skill.

Ignore fucktards like this that think night sights are the only sights worth getting >>32775559

Try the following
>Dawson Fiber optic front/blacked rear
>Trijicon HD's (rear sights are sharp as fuck and have a tendency to cut you up if you carry them)
>Trijicon HD fronts and blacked rear
>Ameriglo Spartans or Proglos
>Ameriglo Defoors
>Frank Proctor WOTG Y-Notch fiber optics

The latter being the cheapest at $35.

http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/03/ameriglo-cap-defoor-pro-i-dot-glock.html

The best thing about Glocks is how many different sight options you can experiment with. If I were you, I would skip the stupid ass match barrel, super stipply pipply grips, skammer triggers for later and just find what sights work best with your eyes.

Also, it does not hurt to buy a complete spare parts kit for your Glock. They're retardely easy to maintain and you can take the entire gun apart with a single punch.
>>
File: 1467556541746.jpg (60KB, 578x535px) Image search: [Google]
1467556541746.jpg
60KB, 578x535px
>>32777643
>you know, you could just actually shoot your fucking gun...

I wonder why so many accomplished shooters including competition shooters that are grandmasters spend literal hours dryfiring each day. You definately sound more knowledgeable compared to dumbfucks like Ben Stoeger, Ernest Langdon and Tim Herron.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.