[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /nogunz/ here. I want to buy a pistol for home defense and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1484848598672.jpg (178KB, 2833x1715px) Image search: [Google]
1484848598672.jpg
178KB, 2833x1715px
Hey, /nogunz/ here. I want to buy a pistol for home defense and range shooting, but I don't know shit about guns outside of the few times I shot in boy scouts when I was a kid. What's something decent I could pick up for around $500? Pic unrelated, I just think it's cool.
>>
>>32773416
>pistol for home defense
unless you plan on carrying it at some point, get a shotgun or an AR-15

pistols are terrible for home defense.
>>
>>32773433
I probably should have said self-defense, I'm planning on carrying it eventually. Also, I intend on getting both of those things eventually I'm just a poorfag.
>>
>>32773433
>pistols are terrible for home defense.
I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.
>>
>>32774099
They can't tear a new window in the wall.
>>
>>32774112
But, you don't want to tear a new window in the wall.
>>
>>32773458
pistols are fine. don't listen to the faggots.

The canik can be had for around 300 and comes with goodies like a holster

Polish P64s and some Maks can be had for around 300 as well if you look.
>>
>>32773433
>>32773458
dont listen to this idiot, pistols are fine for home and self defense
>>
Assuming you're 21 or older, a good place to start would be a used 9mm glock, sig P320, M&P, or Springfield XD.

Nothing fancy, just good practical guns that work and will do everything you want them to do.
>>
any oldfags that know from experience if right now is a good time to buy? im willing to spend a decent chunk of change, but i dont want to spend 1.5k on an ar for them to repeal a bunch of laws and make everything cheaper a month later
>>
>>32774123
While I'm paraphrasing a bit, I want to quoute some anon replying to some idiot who said shotguns were ideal on any home invasion scenario.
>You have your slugs going through Jamal like hot knife on chocolate butter, it's all well and dandy until little Timmy next door, whose room shares a wall with you gets some of that 1 oz. of lead through his little shit skull while he was dreaming about Minecraft and "360 noscoping fagets".
>>
>>32774099
Not that guy. Theyre the worst choice based on chance to incapacitate alone, not to mention much harder to use in a high stress situation. The only reason a handgun would be a decent choice is if you live in a cardboard box, surrounded by cardboard boxes. Even then, there are frangible .223 that would still perform better.
>>
>>32774201
I don't think you understand the concept of not wanting to go through walls.
>>
>>32774201
If you live in a cardboard box you might as well beat the home invader to death with your fucking hobo fists.

Also, what kind of things you can steal to a hobo?
>>
>>32774208
I dont think you understand the concepts of proper penetration or incapacitation. There is no magic caliber that will reliably stop a man but not penetrate 2 layers of drywall without injuring or killing someone on the other side.
>>
>>32773416
>not using a silenced 1895 for home defense

>you awake to the sound of breaking glass as three nignogs break into your domicile
>secretly you have been awaiting this moment
>taking your silenced revolver you creep down the hallway to discover them double bagging your TV with garbage bags
>you shoot the first one in double action, but the trigger pull is so laborious it breaks your finger in four places
>switching hands you thumb back the hammer and drop the second one before the last one even notices his friends are dead
>he turns to you in surprise and horror as you knee cap him and he drops to the floor
>you step forward and turn him over, before slowly pulling down his pants, which are two thirds of the way down already anyway
>you whisper in his ear that you can fix any part of your gun with a hammer as you slip the silencer into his ass
>as you move it in and out the smell of Belgian waffles begins to rise in the air
>just as he climaxes and subsequently dies, you remind him that your revolver didn't malfunction once like a semi-automatic would've
>>
>>32774238
Not a literal cardboard box, a small apartment.
>>
>>32774208
>Not wanting to be a spooky ghost to scare libtards and that asshole Tyrone who stole your fucking TV last summer.
>>
XD 525 in any flavor. Albeit .45 on average does deliver more energy into the target than 9mm. If you buy some of the +p+ then the round causes hydraulic shock.

That in combo with the energy transfer from a 185 gr bullet HP and you have what's called "knock down power."

Before any fudd chimes in here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock#Inferences_from_blast_pressure_wave_observations

The FPS may be higher than what is considered for .45 but it still gets the job done.

Fuck RIP rounds. Choose the best deforming round out there and you're golden
>>
>>32774265
Forgot to mention but most problems CC'ing come from the handle.

XD's handle is really small with the M having a bigger capacity than the other two of the big three polymers
>>
>>32774099

"While none of us want to get shot by a handgun, it’s still a relatively weak fight-stopping tool when compared to a rifle or shotgun. From a pure “energy” perspective, as measured in foot-pounds, it’s about ¼ that of a 12 gauge buckshot load and ⅓ that of an AR-type rifle. It’s also hard to fire accurately under stress. The combination of shorter sight radius and a gun that’s usually lighter than the force required to press the trigger makes for a weapon that takes reasonable expertise to use effectively."

He said it better than I could...

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/whats-best-for-home-defense-pistol-rifle-or-shotgun/#axzz4WoMplFLs
>>
>>32774201
How the fuck is a pistol harder to use in a high stress situation. There are thousands of videos of people never in LE/MIL using pistols in life or death situations just fine.

If there is a safety you switch it just like on a rifle

If it doesnt have a safety its one less thing to worry about

OP says hes a poorfag and wants to carry as well. Why buy 2 guns as a poorfag when you can have 1 that suits both purposes just fine.
>>
>>32774419
Have you ever shot at anything thats actually alive? You shake like a motherfucker, which is much more manageable if youre using a gun with a stock that braces against his shoulder.
>>
>>32774509
Yes, yes I have.

it really isnt that bad. As I said plenty of people in the US have no problem using a pistol in a high stress situation as backed up by thousands of videos all over the internet.
>>
>>32774527
Hundreds of thousands have used .22lr and other mouse guns to defend themselves but that doesnt make it a good idea.
>>
>>32773433
Pistols have plenty of benefits for indoors including ease of using in smaller spaces, less noise/flash to shock you when firing and the ability to be stored for easy access. Shorty rifles do hit harder, but come with trade offs.

>>32773416
What do you want? You want a cheap shooter that you can find ammo for anywhere? Then you'll want to pick up a 9mm pistol. Have you figured out what you like in a gun? If you haven't I recommend hitting the range and trying out the following models of hand guns as they will give you a good glimpse into the modern pistol market
>1) 1911
(I recommend one chambered in 9mm, but a 45acp will give you a good glimpse into slower moving bigger bullets. 45 is a fine choice if you are interested in it, but note that it runs a bit higher in cost and lessens capacity options). The 1911 is a great soft shooter in full size package that you can upgrade or shoot out of the box. Accessories are relatively cheap and replacements parts are not impossible to find (but they are not always drop in, often they require hand fitting)
2) CZ75 or one of her derivatives
A great handgun that comes with a slim profile and has a dedicated following. You can find CZ and CZ clones everywhere. Parts are cheap and they are fun shooters
>3) 92fs
The old service and action star gal. They are starting to show their age, but her iconic profile and accuracy still stand, not a lot like the fatter grip, but once again parts are everywhere
>Glock of any variety
It's plastic, it's reliable it shoots. It's the gun that birthed plastic tupperpistols and you should see if you like it. You can also check out the newer plastic options like the Walther PPQ, HK VP9, or if you want something cheap a Canik TP9.
That should be enough homework to get you started.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.