[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Setting up a small metal target

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: target.png (276KB, 988x396px) Image search: [Google]
target.png
276KB, 988x396px
My old range used to have a pretty sweet setup with metal targets at 100yds, but my new one doesn't. I was thinking of getting one of pic-related and setting it up on a wooden post, anything else I should know?
>>
File: postholder.png (372KB, 951x496px) Image search: [Google]
postholder.png
372KB, 951x496px
I'm planning on using it for up to .308, which it is apparently rated for, could I just use a bolt screw instead of pic-related to hang it, or is there a good reason to buy one of these?
>>
File: 9.jpg (18KB, 132x173px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
18KB, 132x173px
If you can it's better to angle it facing downwards at about a 45 degree angle and let it swing when getting shot.

I prefer hanging my targets via bolts and chains. I have used shooting targets 7 for my order and they even sell mounting material that will angle the target in that way.

My target is set up bolted to a welded frame made of cheap metal.
>>
i'm planning on getting one soon similar to OP
I'm gonna get a 1/2" rod and bend it like pic related, except straight at the bottom to stick in the ground
>>
>>32754687
>1/2" rod
Would you need special tools to bend that anon, or could you use your hands?
>>
>>32754935
depends on how strong you are
>>
>>32754575
Just buy a Shepard's hook for hanging pots and use that
>>
>>32754962
Ah, nice, good idea. Thanks anon.
>>
>>32754971
You welcome an shit. You might have to check the hook after a few trips to make sure it'll hold up
>>
>>32754935
just add fire
>>
File: shepherds hook gongs.jpg (74KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
shepherds hook gongs.jpg
74KB, 650x488px
>>32754559
>>32754687
>>32754935
>>32754949
No need. Shepherd's hooks.
>>
>>32755014
would like something off the shelf but havent found anything (ausfailian fuck this gay government).
>>32754935
heat, bend, repaet.
cheap:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-12mm-x-1m-galvanised-steel-round-solid_p1130454
>>
>>32755014
I live in central AZ. our ground laughs at your attempts to drive those into it.
>>
>>32755114
how weak are you
>>
>>32755140
Nah hes right for the most part, solid stone less than a foot down, pain in the dick to pound something into the sand that isn't rigid. Hes saying you could bend the shepherd hooks doing that.
>>
>>32755114
thats a good point.

The ground is good where i go inawoods so it should be fine for me.

a 2x4 with stand would probly be better if you live in an ancient ocean bed like arazona
>>
>>32754935
i plan to heat and bend with hammer and pliers
>>
File: 6YOmAIZh[1].jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
6YOmAIZh[1].jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
I made basic 2x4 H stands to hold another standing 2x4that had the a hole drilled through it at an angle. Similar to this, but I didn't use a wing nut It worked ok I guess. People shot it the fuck up though. I had to figure out a better way to hang them.

I tried shepard hooks before, but those would bend pretty badly. I guess it's ok for 22lr or lighter pistol rounds.
>>
>>32755461

>I guess it's ok for 22lr or lighter pistol rounds.

I don't have much experience using big rounds like .308 or 8mm Mauser on gongs, but I use 3/8" thick gongs (6 inch size) on a Shepard's hook for 9mm and 22lr. It works flawlessly and only cost me $25.

I stick to paper targets (stapled to wood posts) for bigger rounds.
>>
>>32755495
>I stick to paper targets (stapled to wood posts) for bigger rounds.
Is that a personal preference or a safety thing?
>>
File: IMG_7112.jpg (251KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7112.jpg
251KB, 720x1280px
Behold my budget target that cost me $0. Got the sprocket from work because it was junk and was gonna get thrown away, and got the pipe, chain, and 2x4s from my dads scrap pile.

I need to spread out the 2x4s a little because when it gets hit with 8x56r rounds and some 198 grain 8mm rounds, it'll sometimes fall over.

The sprocket is 11.5 inches across and 9/16 inches thick, and AP Garand ammo will punch through it.
>>
>>32754559
>>32754575

>hey /k/ can I shoot this metal made for shooting at with the rifle it's literally made for?

>also, how do hooks work?

Come on bud, I know you're smarter than this. Hang it with whatever hook fits it and is cheap. Or even better, make an upside down U with 2x4s and hang a chain.

Have fun!
>>
>>32755531

It's the former mostly. I really doubt the round could ricochet back to you at ~100 yards, but you can never be too careful. I once managed to get a Mauser round to bounce off a rock by complete accident, and it make one hell of a screeching noise.
>>
>>32755552
I was mostly worried about safety stuff, I didn't grow up around guns(my family is super anti-gun) so I'm always nervous that I'll be that idiot at the range that does something obviously unsafe by accident or something. Overly cautious so I don't spill my range spaghetti.
>>
>>32755649
It's cool dude. We've all had to hit the learning curve at some point. My suggestion is hang it like I mentioned above. It's pretty cheap to get two small lengths of chain and I'd say it'd be better all around.
>>
>>32755649

There is never anything wrong with being too safe. When you're in a hobby that involves chucking hunks of lead at supersonic speeds, it's perfectly reasonable to act cautious.

As for hanging the gong, anything that will securely hold it in place is fine. Chains, a Shepard's hook, one of those post holders, or anything else will work. All you need to do is just shoot at it a few times and see if it stays in place.
>>
>>32754687
Just buy a bunch of in-ground planter hooks from somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lumabase-30-in-Black-Shepherd-s-Hook-2-Count-91402/205938865
>>
>>32755551
>Shooting soft steel

Hope you're far away dumb fuck
>>
>>32756008
Like I'm gonna stand 10 feet from it and shoot it with a high powered rifle you fucking retard?? Fragments go maybe 15 feet away from the target. Not a big deal.
>>
>>32756592
If you literally only use it for rifles and are 100+ yards away you're probably okay with slight deformation but are you seriously telling me you never shoot pistols on them?

It will go further than 15 feet by the way dummy
>>
>>32756612
>>32756612
Maybe 20 feet. I shot it in fresh snow and saw few fragments go farther than about 10 feet out. With pistols I haven't stood closer than 15 yards. Not worried about fragments.
>>
>>32756701
RIP little nigger
>>
>>32756739
Do you need a lesson in physics?? Do you think that actually ricochets??
>>
>>32756778
Sounds like you do if you think shooting at dented marked up plates is safe

Be sure you're wearing eye pro retard I don't care what you do as long as its just you.
>>
>>32756805
I wouldn't worry about it if your further 30 yards away.
as long as the target swings it should be fine.

I have a semi-hardened steel plate that i have shot at about 50 yards with my m39 but no closer.
>>
>>32755014
I do this but how the fuck do I hammer it through rocky ground deeper

The best I can manage is to shoot the ground point blank with a few 308 but eventually it either spins or falls over, and the place I go to is a hill so I can't just have a flat stand
>>
>>32756805
It's angled down, it swings, it isn't very heavy, I'm not worried about it. And yeah I always wear eye pro.

I'm not a dogshit shot like you and don't need to stand 10 feet from my target when shooting a pistol.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.