[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chain mail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: alum-shirt(1).jpg (51KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
alum-shirt(1).jpg
51KB, 375x500px
Where would you get high quality chain mail? Looking for something that would protect me in case of a knife wielding aggressor
>>
bump, also interested
none of that costume shit only real please
>>
>>32749977
Unless you are looking to spend assloads of moni, look into a modern stab vest instead
>>
I don't know a place to get it, just know that it is typically insanely expensive for real chain mail. It takes forever to make and destroys your fingers in the process.
>>
File: gp.jpg (146KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
gp.jpg
146KB, 640x630px
>>32749977
Apparently Germany, pic I saved of some Polizei
>>
>>32749985
I'm thinking bout using the weight of the chain mail, wearing it under my clothes to passively excercise so I can be fit in case I need to protect myself.
>>
>>32749977
Kult of Athena
>>
Get a gun scrub
>>
>>32750053
you need at least 5 feet to draw on a knife wielding attacker. having a gun won't help with a surprise stabbing
>>
>>32750000
Chainmail isn't actually -that- heavy, and fits very snuggly which distributes the weight around. You're better off placing weights inside your coat pockets.
>>
Make it yourself.
Look up the Ringlord. Get riveted rings and something to bolt them. Alternately, you can get some wire cutters, a 7/16" dowel, some 14 gauge multi purpose wire, and a drill. Cut your dowel into 1 foot lengths. Drill a hole in your dowel portion, about 4 cm from the end. Put the hole end in your drill, with the hole outside of the drill. Make sure the dowel is centered. Put a small amount of wire through the hole, and begin winding the wire slowly, guiding it with a gloved hand. When 4 or 5 inches of the dowel is coiled, stop the drill, cut off the bit sticking out of the hole, and slide it off the dowel. Repeat until your wire has been used. Cut up one end of each coil, one at a time, making rings. Throw away incomplete rings. Congrats. You've just made rings for low quality butted mail. Look up a tutorial on how to do European 4 in 1 weave. Figure the other stuff out.
>>
>>32750070
you're right. It's much better to walk around your whole life in 50 lbs of chain mail, completely unlike an autist who's read too many fantasy novels
>>
File: 1474630558954.jpg (338KB, 1529x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1474630558954.jpg
338KB, 1529x2048px
>>32749977
german poolice supplier:
http://www.niroflex.de/index.php?page=military-police-security-2

you can get riveted maille from india:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=riveted+chain+maille&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6MM-FLAT-RIVETED-SHIRT-MEDIUM-Medieval-chainmaille-HAUBERGEON-ARMOUR-/122301459793?hash=item1c79bc2d51:g:b4IAAOSwLN5WlJae

mailee that's not fitted to you sucks balls though. pic related, how it should look.
>>
>>32749977
Even the most expensive titanium mail is going to split open like your big sister at a BLM rally if any budk knives try to stab it rather than just lightly graze it with a slash.

Spend $200ish on a very concealable stab proof vest that's slightly uncomfortable

Or spend $750ish on titanium welded/riveted mal that will weigh 30 pounds minimum, will fuck up your clothes, be hot as fuck, and make a KUSHINK KUSHINK sound every time you move

Not to mention you'll hardly be able to fit your spaghetti anywhere
>>
>>32750000
There are weighted vests you can buy for much much much cheaper than chain mail. Most low level vests also have pockets that if you wanted to you could later add weight to.
Think like those ankle weights moms used to have in the 90s.
>>
>>32749977
>Where would you get high quality chain mail?
DuPont industries, but they only make gloves for dishwashers that I am aware of..... You could probably email them and ask them if they'd do a custom fabrication with the same material, or if they sell it on a roll by the foot.
>>
>>32750113
at least it works
>>
Maile protects from slashes, not stabs.
>>
>>32750106
>low quality butted mail
Eh, I wouldn't trust butted mail against a dedicated knife-wielder. They tend to give way under both sword thrusts and cuts, and I imagine a solid knife thrust would open it up as well.
>>
>kultofathena dot com

real good chainmail
>>
>>32749977
ideally you would go to someone who can make it for you, and they would take your measurements and custom make it for your shape.

but since you're on 4chan asking where to buy it you're not going to do that. so just find a mail shirt online and make sure its riveted. kult of athena is a decent website.

no, butted mail will not work. it's for costumes.
>>
>>32750121
>pic related, how it should look.
>foot protection hanging loose off foot
Great way to break an ankle bru.
>>
>>32750434
Quality chain mail will stop thrusts from penetrating too deep; the depth of penetration is determined the length of the tip protrusion through the ring, plus however much deflection the undergarments permit. Usually it won't be any more than an inch or so with a sword, likely less with a knife.

Obviously it doesn't do much to prevent broken bones and blunt trauma.
>>
>>32750468
Most knives are slim and narrow enough to find a gap to not be hindered much.
>>
>>32750000
I work out with my vest and a large sweatshirt, no one has said anything to me about it looking strange
>>
>>32750498
Unless they're using a stiletto, this is not the case at all. Most pocket knives have much wider tips than later-period swords, they won't penetrate for shit.
>>
>>32750498
>Most knives are slim and narrow enough to find a gap to not be hindered much.

aha, no. most modern folders can't get in too far. regular maille inner ring diameter is 8mm. if the wire thickness is set at 1mm that means a Mora companion is getting less than 5mm of the tip thorugh the ring, I just measured it.
>>
>>32749977
>t. European
>>
>>32750000
Nice quads but don't do this. Gaining 20lbs overnight is not good for your knees. Train if you want to be fit.
>>
>>32749977
If you know anybody who does HEMA or historical reconstruction, then they're the guys you should ask. They'll either tell you where to buy one or you can pay them to make it for you, either way you'll get good quality chainmail.

Source: I've LARP-ed medieval era blacksmith in my late teens and early 20's, if you'd ask me then I'd make one for you(not for free of course).
>>
File: RMM210-2.jpg (93KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
RMM210-2.jpg
93KB, 500x296px
http://www.ringmesh.com/Chain_Mail_Vest_p/ns210.htm

Indvidually welded stainless.
>>
>>32749977
Those dwarves make pretty good mithril
>>
>>32750070
Someone should develop some sort of hand to hand combatives to help get you away from an attacker. If only that were a thing...
>>
https://u-safe.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-801834042/Body_armor.html
>>
>>32751658
Again, that won't help much against a surprise blade you won't even see, no matter what your local karate instructor might tell you.
ppl don't get charged with knifes, they get stabbed by surprise
>>
>>32751584
Mah nigga. :D
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.