[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Putting down your pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 41

File: 100_1318.jpg (3MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
100_1318.jpg
3MB, 3664x2748px
Sup /k/ommandos. I used a .22 to put down our house rabbit of 12 years last wednesday, Ava. It was my first time putting down an animal and I wanted to share the experience and hopefully help someone else out who's not sure about how or if to make the same decision.

First, I view it as an owner's responsibility to ease their pet's passing. I didn't think so, and someone on /k/ argued the point with me successfully. I changed my mind. He was right. I'd want to pass in a familiar place with familiar smells and familiar people, not in some clinic with a stranger and a loved one
telling me everything was normal and fine and not to worry. I also have my doubts about the painlessness of the euthanization process. I think it's more targeted to make the passing appear peaceful to others than completely painless to the patient, but I digress...

A lot changed in 12 years. Six moves, including a cross country trip (pic related), and two kids. She was a rescue and was at least one year old when we got her, so she was by rabbit standards extremely old. After the kids, we confined her to a section of the living room, before she had run of the house. Rabbits litter train and
play with cat toys, so she previously had lots to do. With the kids and with her age, not so much. I'd been getting the feeling for a long time, and when we saw some red on her blanket, we checked her.

I don't want to go into detail, but we knew she was in pain and it was her time. It pains me to say, it was probably past her time.

I looked up a rabbit bisection to locate the brain and looked up humane methods of elimination. My wife gave me a number to a 24 hour vet who I called and wanted around $200 to put her to sleep. I explained my idea, and the arguments the /k/ommando had given, and she understood. The fact that I've been unemployed for most of the last few months also meant we could not afford it even if we wanted to.

The decision was made, but how?
>>
File: 4399-DEFAULT-l.jpg (55KB, 900x570px) Image search: [Google]
4399-DEFAULT-l.jpg
55KB, 900x570px
>>32745837
Called a call to a fellow /k/ommando and asked about shooting a .22 safely indoors. After some prodding I just told him what I was doing. He said to get a 5 gallon bucket, put two shovels of dirt in it, put the rabbit in it, and put two shots in the rabbit. He said all this tactfully, of course. Said it was the
cleanest way to do it, and not to let my wife see. Recommended a .22 rifle to let more powder burn and get the additional velocity. His suggestions were pragmatic and about logistics. The goals were a clean kill, safe shooting indoors, not alerting the neighbors, and easy cleanup and transport. Good advice.

I agonized over the .22 (in b4 ammo prices, ya bastards). The damned G22 wouldn't eject in dry function, though I didn't remember any issues during live fire. I didn't want to risk botching the first shot, and having to clear a jam to get the next shot. I had an old bolt gun that I'd tested with CB caps that I knew
to be as quiet as a handclap, but needing two hands for a possible second shot worried me. I practiced working the bolt but it just felt so slow when I considered the possibility of a suffering rabbit thrashing around. The Buckmark was a natural choice, but less barrel meant more unburnt powder, noise, and less
velocity. And while I could shoot the wings off a gnat with the thing I was still afraid I'd somehow flub the shot by jerking or flinching last second.

The duty fell to the 10/22. I loaded it with Remington .22lr subsonics, which I figured would be a medium between full powered Federal and a Super Colibri or some kind of CB cap. I removed the banana assault clipazine and dug out the factory rotary mag. Loaded two, then one more just in case. Dry tested ejection and loading. Effortless and perfect. As usual.
>>
File: 100_0095.jpg (3MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
100_0095.jpg
3MB, 3664x2748px
>>32745854
The bucket already had some gravel in it from being slated as a target stand when I got another bag of concrete, so the dirt was not necessary. There was only about 4 inches of gravel, but I figured it would be
enough. I got some of her blankets and lined the inside of the bucket with them to make it more familiar and comfortable. One I hung half way out, realizing I would want to be able to fold the flap over her.

She got in the bucket easily. She felt so skinny. She was still big. Not sure if that comes across in the pictures. Bigger than a small dog. Not those idioticly tiny designer breeds, a regular small dog. She was
still pretty vertical in the bucket, but started nuzzling down and burrowing her head down to get comfortable. I'm almost positive she would have just given up the ghost given the proper burrow.

I carried her downstairs to my shop room off the garage with the 10/22 and Buckmark in reserve. Both safeties off. Didn't even want her to hear the metallic click of a safety.

I scratched and stroked her head as the foam earplugs expanded. She just rested her chin on the edge of the bucket. She felt tired. So tired. I paused to put the earmuffs on, doubling up because my hearing was
already bad enough. I resumed stroking with my right hand and I held the 10/22 in the left pointed almost straight down at her. As she closed her eyes and relaxed the muzzle touched her forehead, right where her
brain was. I needed to watch. I couldn't bear the idea of her moving at the last minute and missing the shot.

The sound was familiar. It was like when I shot Appleseed at an outdoor range. Good berming let most of the sound escape. I only needed earplugs then, and the only noise the rifle made was CLICK! Same noise.

CLICK!

The deed was done, and I felt some slight twitching with my right hand. Her right eye had popped out of its socket. Another, just to be sure.
>>
File: 100_0311.jpg (3MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
100_0311.jpg
3MB, 3664x2748px
>>32745876
CLICK!

A little further back from the first. I moved the rifle away and put my hand over her head where the shots were, it was very hot, so I moved back to her neck and shoulders to feel for movement.

The twitching came in waves, and seemed to get stronger. It had to be nerves. She couldn't possibly be feeling anything, but I didn't expect it to last this long. I grabbed the top flap blanket to put it over
her, just as she- it-- began to rise as the rear leg muscles extended. No upper body movement, just a dead rabbit jack in the box. I quickly shoved the blanket over the top, and held down as I shoved the muzzle
of the Buckmark down into the blanket, wondering if using it would do anything at this point.

After a while, no idea how long, the twitching became a slight vibration, then stopped. I pulled part of the blanket back and felt skin to see if there was any motion at all. Nothing.

Wife was upstairs putting the kids to bed, reported hearing nothing.

I didn't lose it until the drive to work the next day. Bawling at 80 mph in the rain. Mainly about the fact that I should have done it earlier and was too stuck in denial and avoidance to realize she was in pain.
Since then I've thought about it a lot, and worked a few things out in my head that have made me realize I made the right choices.

The reason her head was hot was because the muzzle contact meant the gases vented mostly into her cranium. I wondered whether her brain had enough fluid for hydrostatic shock to completely destroy it. With almost
all the gas entering her skull, it was basically a small bomb going off in her head. Her brain was destroyed before the bullet exited her skull. The second shot was not necessary.
>>
File: 100_0310.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
100_0310.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>32745890
The same gases were why her eye had popped out. I felt terrible to have seen her in that state, but I realized it had to be expected given the trauma, and the trauma meant she wasn't a "she" by the time the
expanding gases reached the back of her eye. Everything that made Ava our rabbit was gone by the time her eye received pressure. She was just a body at that point. An "It."

I don't understand how, but seeing the eye out of place was a vulnerable moment. Being the first and sole viewer of her evacuated body is somehow intimate. If that's the right word. I feel closer to her for having
seen her body without her in it. Like in my memories of her, I can take away her body, and leave only her. I don't know. I think intimate is the right word.

The subsonics were a good choice. Neither .22 made it to the gravel. I didn't check if a round made it into the chest, but I think one did. Given the effect of the gases, a lighter load might have worked, but I'm
not sure I'd risk it.

There was very little blood, cleanup was simple as I just bundled the blankets I used the line the bucket.

Lessons learned:

Don't linger. Be quick about the business. Set a plan of actions and perform them in order.

.22s indoors can be so quiet you can't hear them in another room. There were certainly no complaints from
the neighbors.

A cranial cavity can act as an expansion chamber. Not sure how I could test this again with ear pro off...

I don't feel any negativity toward the 10/22. Especially after the G22 was acting up. The 10/22 is a tool that I asked to function properly. It did so, and for that I am endeared to it.

Don't wait. Don't lie to yourself. Don't let them suffer more than they should because you're too chicken to make the hard decision. This is my only regret.
>>
Condolences, bro. A rabbit that old is extremely long lived, and hopeful the majority of it was happy and healthy. The oldest rabbit on record was 14 years old.

Personally, despite the cost, I would have a vet put down my pets (they do house calls for that around here), which are also rabbits, if need be. I would have sold one of my guns to cover cost if it came to that (as well as cremation cost, since I don't have a lawn for burial). I personally would not be able to stand seeing them have gunshot wounds. Of course though, this is something that I won't know what I'll do until the time comes.
>>
>>32745837
I put my cat, Sam, down a year ago. He was suffering from an incurable liver disease and was slowly fading away. We had a veterinarian come to the house and administer a lethal injection while my family held him in our arms.

I cried like a bitch for like 3 days. I fucking loved that cat.
>>
Epic blog OP.
>>
>>32745837
>>
I would never trust 22 to kill anything after having hunted feral jack rabbits with my grandfather as a child.

Most of the shots had a hard time penetrating the "hides", but we weren't point blank either... I also had to shoot a rattlesnake with it and it did penetrate but took a lot of fucking rounds to finish it off.

Of course his ammo was old a fuck - at least a few decades.
>>
File: IMG_0149.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0149.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
My condolences, OP.
Owned my fair share of rabbits over the years and every time one had to be put down or passed away they took a little of me with them. For future purposes, if any come up, a BB gun will work just fine or the simple stick method on the back of the neck. If you're using your hands to put them down, just make sure to do it with authority. No pussyfooting. Even though rabbits are weak creatures they can still survive having their neck broken... Found that out the hard way when I put down my first pet rabbit. Poor things heart was racing, suffering, and his eyes were still full of life as I was too scared to finish what I had started. Thankfully my old man took over for me and quickly finished him off.
In my opinion, using your own hands to put down rabbits is almost obscenely like a bonding experience. We take on the responsibility of raising them, living by them, and seeing them through to the end.
>>
>>32745837
rabbits are fag pets
eat a dick op
not weapon related
>>
>>32746303
Euthanizing things is way different than hunting them. I work at an 8k head hog confinement site, and have to put down hogs every day. A .22lr to the brain stem works just fine every time. Never have had to shoot twice.
>>
F
>>
File: I_Cry.jpg (31KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
I_Cry.jpg
31KB, 660x371px
>>32745890
>>32745925
>>
>>32745837
Why not poison?

It is cheap and even more painless.
>>
>>32745837
My condolences rabbit /k/eeper. I've had to do it to a few of my pets over the years. It's never easy and always a heart breaker. Just remember the good times with her, 12 years is a hell of a long time for a rabbit.
>>
>>32746366
gotcha. Makes sense.

My condolences op
>>
Everything I can do to not cry OP but good on ya for doing it.

I had to shoot a pitbull once that we were watching for my sister in law til they had a proper house. Her husbands dad was keeping it before we got it but he had starved it, sadly even as sweet as she was she was protective of food.

She had latched on to our little dachshund and I had no other option. 5.56 to the skull point blank. I had grown a bit attached and it made me pretty sad.

My wife convinced me to get a doggo last year as a backpacking friend. Anatolian/Saint Bernard. When im home she is constantly with me, loves to play and run around outside when Im working, loves hikes and playing in the snow. Borderline clingy. I love having her but I know someday I will have to take her out in the yard and give her the same respect you describe, and I know Im gonna cry like a little bitch. Which is why I never wanted pets, because I get attached to them.

Thanks for sharing OP. Unrelated but I hope your job situatin pans out and I hope you can maybe have another bunny.

Heres a pic of Laika my doggo.
>>
F
>>
>>32745837
>I have my doubts about the painlessness of the euthanization process
It's completely painless, although not as quick as it appears to be. Basically what they do is give a massive overdose of anesthetic, the animal is unconscious (and thus not suffering any of its normal aches and pains either) several minutes before it actually dies due to cardiac arrest.

Most vets will use some form of barbiturate, of which there are quite a few that would be equally viable.

You made the right decision. I know it's tough.
>>
>>32745837
Fuck OP you got me right in the feels. I've had to put down one of my dogs cause she got run over and her insides were spewing out on the street. I had to put her down then and there with a 9mm. A neighbors dog had gotten into my yard after telling him to keep it locked up. As I opened the door to yell at him my dog ran after the other dog. She ran and a car hit her in the hind legs and she was crying the worst cry I have ever heard. It still haunts me. I cried so hard and I went to grab my glock so I could end her suffering. I got her since I rescued her from the pound nearly 15 years ago,she died 2 years ago. Many relationships, two cross country moves, many a boar hunts, always by my side, the most loyal dog you could ask for. I still live in the same house and so does my neighbor, I let him know every day what a piece of shit he is and that the wrong dog died. I'm still not over it and I've just recently been okay with the idea of getting a new dog. I just don't want to have to put a dog out like that again.

You did the right thing anon, a pets suffering is as painful as a family members.

I miss you Daisy... I hope you're tracking Razorbacks in heaven girl...
>>
>>32745837
Tl;dr, you sentimental faggot.

Did you eat the fucker after you blew its brains out?
>>
When it's time for my cat to go, and I hope it will be 10+ years from now, I am goign to do my damndest to make sure she gets to pass away in the comfort and happiness of her home (or the garden outside). If I have to pay them to do so. I don't have the guts to do it myself though, and you were being a big man to take on the responsibility and task to try and make sure your rabbit was comfortable in its last moments, OP. I would encourage you in the future to see if they do house calls - they might not be able to, and if they can don't beat yourself up for second guessing.

I have heard
> I should have done it earlier and was too stuck in denial and avoidance to realize she was in pain.

And how difficult that is for lots of owners. On the one hand I figure there's that animal's self-preservation at play that would want it to live, but also the question of what a quality of life is. I think that would be the take-away - at what point is the pain interfering with a quality of life worth it for the animal. Since if the mere existence of pain at all sufficed, well, /k/ would be a ghost town. But more seriously I think when you have to convince others or yourself why you don't put them down is when its time to put them down. I was doing that for our beagle and he probably should have been put down half a year sooner.

>>32746162

You gave him a good and long and loving life buddy.

>>32746250

Mouse shouldn't have bought a glocknade.
>>
>>32745890
I'm gonna take a pause from being sad to point out that sweet Xbox fat in the background.
>>
>>32745837
Sucks OP. I had to put down my first cat when I was only 12. I came home one day and she was missing so I searched the property. I found her in a pile of leaves near the road, breathing heavily and badly injured. She had been hit by a car and was clearly suffering.

I called my dad. He had raised me hunting so I already knew what he was going to tell me to do. But for some reason, it made me feel better having him tell me to do it.

Just go somewhere private and have a good cry and remember the good times. That's what I did. You will get though it. Its just life. You did the right thing.
>>
>>32745837
Take pics of the dead bunny?
>>
I was so ready for this to end with walking the dinosaur. Anyway, thanks for the story, anon, hope telling it exorcised whatever might have been hanging over you.
>>
>>32745925
>>32745890
>>32745876
>>32745854
>>32745837
You did the right thing OP. She died with no pain, and a long happy life.
Rest In Peace Bunner.
>>
Rabbits are retarded vermin who cares.
>>
>>32747817
Healthy and tasty meat to eat too.
>>
File: bunny2016-12-23 at 10.56.48 AM.png (3MB, 1806x1358px) Image search: [Google]
bunny2016-12-23 at 10.56.48 AM.png
3MB, 1806x1358px
F
>>
>>32747849
Enjoy your worms.
>>
>>32747915
I will.
>>
File: oklahoma fried rabbit.jpg (493KB, 1600x1239px) Image search: [Google]
oklahoma fried rabbit.jpg
493KB, 1600x1239px
>>32747849
>>32747915
>>32747922
Get ready for a feast!
>>
>>32746477
>Poison
>Painless
I don't THINK so, at least not in most cases. Could be wrong
>>
>>32747978
Old rabbits aren't any good for frying.

Maybe if you cooked it sous vide for hours and hours prior to frying.

Braised in tomato sauce with capers, over some home-made pasta?

Awww yiss.
>>
File: IMG_0151.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0151.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>32747978
>>32748594
Even though I love rabbits as pets they sure as hell make great meat when prepared properly.
>>
I've heard that rabbits are just as efficient in terms of how much you feed them for how much meat you get as chickens - the only reason chicken is so popular is that the cuts of meat from a rabbit are smaller (no giant chunk of breast meat).
>>32748627
I think it's very /k/ to both like something as a pet and eat it as a wild animal.

My buddy shoots feral cats on sight, adores his two-cat mouse death squad.
>>
Mothers Day last year was hell. I put my cat to rest that day. I got him right after my father passed away 14 years earlier. He was completely bonded to me. Always was in my room and snuggling me. He helped me get through a lot of hard times. His health had been deteriorating for some time, get home from mother's day brunch and he's sitting there curled up in a ball crying for me. He could hardly walk and hadn't been eating.

Putting him to rest was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
>>
File: 2014-01-16 13.28.19.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2014-01-16 13.28.19.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>32745925
>Don't wait. Don't lie to yourself. Don't let them suffer more than they should because you're too chicken to make the hard decision. This is my only regret.
I had to do the same to my doggo yast year. I agree completely. Towards the end he was just suffering for no good reason.
>>
Yeah, don't worry about the muscle vibrations m8. I've seen rabbits have their entire heads blown off with larger varminting rounds and the bastards still twitch.
>>
rip Ava, you did the right thing OP
>>
>>32748077
>>32746477
Drugs that shuts down the brain directly like overdosing opiates are humane. Most normal poisons causes massive internal bleeding and are needlessly cruel and painful.
>>
File: img_6746.jpg (396KB, 621x1104px) Image search: [Google]
img_6746.jpg
396KB, 621x1104px
I have pet bunnies. We keep them outside. We also eat them, and this is how we kill them.
>wear gloves (Bunnies tend to scratch this way)
>grab head with thumb and index finger making a U shape around the neck, bending the ears forward
>take blunt butcher knife
>place on back of neck right behind the head
>push down until you hear a crack
>let go of head and move your other hand to knife blade and push down with all your might
>put your weight above the knife, don't just use your arms
>wait 1 minute or until it stops kicking
Congratulations, you've given it the chepeast, most pain free death without discharging a firearm inside.

>pic related; it's me after we "thinned" the herd.
>there's still 5 left
>>
>>32749530
Wait a minute, aren't you that guy from YouTube that drunkenly reviews poorfag firearms and is rather entertaining?
>>
>>32749552
Nope, just a guy who lives in Canada and owns a lot of slavshit. I'm this guy.
>>
>>32746250
Mr. Jingles nooooo!

This thread a shit.
>>
>>32746314
My great grandpa was a lot like that. he raised food rabbits, but always went out and played with them even though they were hutch rabbits. And when winter rolled in he always let them inside in what was essentially a giant preschool he'd set up in his living room.
The day I saw him wring a rabbit for the first time blew my mind, and I cried the whole time eating it, but let me tell you it was arguably the best dish I've had in my life. Old man knew what he was doing.
>>
>>32746314
>In my opinion, using your own hands to put down rabbits is almost obscenely like a bonding experience. We take on the responsibility of raising them, living by them, and seeing them through to the end.
I agree with you on that man. I feed and water my bunnies every day, and I pet them and talk to them, and one day I take them and kill them. It kills me inside every time I have to do it, but I feel it makes me a stronger man.
>>
god really? not this shit again guys
>>
File: img_5502.png (884KB, 726x726px) Image search: [Google]
img_5502.png
884KB, 726x726px
>>32749748
>not raising and killing your own meat
What are you, some sort of LIBERAL?
>>
>>32749530
>I have pet bunnies. We keep them outside. We also eat them
That's called keeping livestock. They're not really 'pets' even if you play with them.
>>
File: IMG_1027.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1027.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>32745837
I hope you feel better, OP. I was thinking that when my current dog's time comes, we could try an exit bag. She could be at home with loved ones, and it really would be like going to sleep. Thankfully, she's only 7 now, so she still has lots of time with us.
>>
>>32749784
>not playing with your pet cows and pigs
That's exactly what I'm gonna do.
also:
Pet
noun
1. a domestic or tamed animal kept for companionship or pleasure.
I keep my bunnies for companionship and pleasure, it's just that I also happen to keep them for livestock.
>>
File: 220px-Ted_Bundy_headshot.jpg (11KB, 220x304px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Ted_Bundy_headshot.jpg
11KB, 220x304px
>>32749727
I know you're just joking but that actually reads like something a serial killer would write.
>>
>>32745837
Sorry you had to put her down, OP. I know the feels all too well, but she's in a better place now. God I hate losing pets, it sucks so bad
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>32749801
>mfw I wasn't joking
>>
>>32749799
If that's how you want to see that's perfectly fine. In my opinion, an animal's status as livestock overrides its status as pet. Sure, those rabbits are pets under the dictionary definition, but killing and eating them goes against what I'd consider the spirit of pet keeping.

I mean, you wouldn't eat your dog (inb4 azn jokes), and one of the goals of a pet keeper is keeping the animal alive and healthy as long as possible (euthanasia in the face of chronic pain and disease not withstanding).
>>
>>32749859
I guess you're right; the main reason we call them pets is because it's technically 'illegal' to keep livestock on our land in the suburbs. Bunnies are a great way to get around that.
>in Canada we can drown puppies and kittens for days (I don't) because pets are still 'property' up here and don't have rights as pets do in America
>>
>>32747700
nothing edgy about it kiddo
>>
File: 4.jpg (55KB, 691x352px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
55KB, 691x352px
OP, i need you to hold still.
>>
Fuck. I'm probably gonna have to do this with my dog. He started having seizures a few years ago and now it's only a matter of time. I give him maybe a year or two until he starts to fade.
>>
>>32749893
as they should be they are animals
>>
>>32748881
I kept hoping my cat would make a recovery. When I read an article saying when they can't do their three favorite activities anymore that it's time to put them down. That's when I felt selfish. A .177 pellet to the brain stem and she was down.
>>
>>32745925
You did good OP, I know that feel all to well mom had been sick for a long time and when she passed i was in the shower, seeing Her and realising that the thing i knew as her was no longer her and feeling her go cold was very intimate, and for me atleast therapeutic. Be happy Op remember the good times
>>
>>32749755
no its not that its just its so hard to figure out the pet murking threads when it comes to who is trolling and who isnt.... ive seen some pretty wild home euthanasia threads on this site over the past 4 or 5 years since i started lurkin
>>
>>32750494
it looks like op was just posting this as info for any one who might have to do the same thing
>>
>>32750494
what i mean by this and this is just one example is the dude that wasted his yorkie in 2013 with his glock 27 .40 in his own kitchen... with that being said i feel bad for OP and he seems sad and did the right thing. i will pour one out for ava the rabbit tonight and i am sorry for his loss... never easy when pets die
>>
>>32750521
yeah youre right i feel really bad now. i didnt even read his post until a few minutes ago. this is a much diff situation. i saw pet murking and reacted too quickly.. ive seen some shit man
>>
>>32749552
Clyde n bundy?
>>
>>32745837
>rabbit
>12 years
the fuck
>>
>>32745837
>I'd want to pass in a familiar place with familiar smells and familiar people, not in some clinic with a stranger and a loved one
so wait, you can't get this done in home by a vet who does housecalls? is that illegal or something? how did he convince to not do it that way?
>>
>>32750633
you can do it for sure but it can be quite expensive
>>
>>32747144
>Mouse shouldn't have bought a glocknade.
fuck you lol

another senseless gun death
>>
>>32750605
average age of indoor domestic rabbits is 8-10 years, assuming properly taken care of and fixed.

>>32750633
He said he was poor. An in clinic procedure was 200, a house call would probably like 50-100 bucks more (that's how much it is around where i live)
>>
>>32750670
>>32750729
>He said he was poor.
oh i missed that part somehow, i understand. he made the right choice. i honestly don't think i could manage this myself for my doggo. only had her a year and she's a young puppy but i've already considered it, and resigned to having to be right there petting her at the end when they give her the shots.
>>
File: 1483735019880.gif (799KB, 696x478px) Image search: [Google]
1483735019880.gif
799KB, 696x478px
>>32745837
damn, right in the feels anon
>>
F
>>
F
>>
>>32745837
Did you eat it?

Eat what you kill. Kill what you eat.
>>
File: 20150101_213444_007.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150101_213444_007.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>32750191
Yep. For me the point came when he could no longer get up by himself, and was constantly shitting himself if I didn't help him up in time. Combined with the fact that I'd have to wash him multiple times a week in the middle of winter, he was miserable and cold, and I just feel that I could have prevented at least 3 months of suffering by just acting quicker.
>>
>>32750605

Yes. I still have one I bought myself as a graduation present from high school in May of 2008. It's still living, though he's starting to get into poor shape. It's sister (who they made lots and lots of babies together over the years) died a few months ago.

OP: For dispatching small game, whether it's trapped/sick pets/whatever, I've always used my childhood single shot .410. Does the job without much fuss.
>>
File: 20160425_162128.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20160425_162128.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>32745837
Aye OP I know that feel. When my cabbit had her kittens sh died shortly after and I had no one to give him to except a vet out of town who stopped giving me updates on the poor fella once he was weaned off of the surrogate mother. Would have loved to adopt him afterwards. RIP in piss cabbit, too pure for this world.
>>
>>32752856
her kitten*, singular my bad. No idea why she only had one but he was huge at birth.
>>
>>32752584
>it's sister (who they made lots and lots of babies together over the years)
Rabbit incest? What the hell man
>>
GOOD JOB OP

I wish we would give humans that much kindness.

If I was living a life of pain and misery, the government would arrest and kill anyone that tried to show me kindness.

I'd want to be put out of my misery if my life was absolute shit.
>>
>>32752897

Adam and eve, except rabbits
>>
>>32753004
Oh I am mistaken, carry on
>>
File: 1470677905655.gif (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1470677905655.gif
1MB, 640x1136px
>>32745837

HUMANE means it doesnt suffer.

If you blow its head off with a 9mm or even put half a magazine into it until its bloody chunks...

It did not SUFFER.

When you see nervous twitching of its legs or whatever after you've killed it . . . the animal is not going to be aware of that.

> its only torturing you, the animal is already bye-bye

> but for your own benefit, put another 5 rounds in the head just to make sure

I mean how much pain is considered inhumane?

Suffering for just a few seconds isnt much. And thats conservative, since the first shot is probably going to knock it unconscious along with killing it. Unconscious means its not aware of anything.
>>
F
>>
What a fucking faggot.
I put down two of my dogs. It hurt less than when my father put down one of my dogs. Man the fuck up.
>>
>>32753533
Put down your parents then if you want to be a real badass you 12 year old.
>>
File: 20170123_165444.jpg (514KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_165444.jpg
514KB, 1920x1080px
Here's hoping this little bastard lives to the ripe old age of 20. I don't know if I could stand putting down a pet.
>>
File: 49262669.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
49262669.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
Hey /k/, OP here. Thanks for all the replies and commiserations.

Trolls aside, I did consider the possibility of eating her. Seemed like a way to respect her in death, but I kind of decided against it. Might change my mind in the future. Still seems kind of weird.

However, I did want to skin her and tan her hide (or have someone else do it), so we could have a small memento of her. Had this not happened so suddenly I probably would have done it. Or at least tried...

I couldn't do pictures afterward. It was too private a moment.

I didn't know about vet house calls, particularly that they were usually cheaper. Glad to know the passing is very likely painless. That said, I still think it's the responsibility of the owner. Even if you push the plunger on the syringe down. Part of me also feels like it was part penance for my failure to act earlier.

Also I have kids and work long hours so not a lot of time to lurk /k/ lately. No idea what the F replies mean.

Thanks /k/.
>>
File: f2e.jpg (63KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
f2e.jpg
63KB, 960x540px
>>32754737

It's from call of duty
>>
>>32747724
F
>>
F
>>
>>32754737
Sorry for your loss OP, RIP

When I had a GF's cat put down I stayed with him and had my hand on him all the way to the end. GF cried profusely. I didn't cry at the time, that came later. At the time I just felt coldly sad.
>>
File: IMAG0025.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0025.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
>>32754737
I feel you OP

When my battlebunny dies I almost want to keep her foot for goodluck/posterity
>>
>>32745837
The Animal Humane Society's charge 50 bucks to put down rabbits
>>
File: c6d.jpg (44KB, 374x363px) Image search: [Google]
c6d.jpg
44KB, 374x363px
>>32747089
It's this kind of shit that keeps me from getting a dog. I've got no friends whatsoever and if I were to get and lose a dog like that, I would probably go over the edge. Sad truth for me is that it's better to play it safe and stay a loner.
>RIP Daisy; you lived a good life
>>
I cried like a bitch when I had to put my dog down (by a vet housecall not a gun), but you just gotta think about the good times man.

But kudos to you for managing to reduce your pet's suffering. It sounded like she was /comfy/ in her last moments.
>>
>>32755161
The secret is a to wait a couple years after you get the dog and then get a puppy and start anew, always having two dogs. That way the old dog helps train the new puppy by example and you're never alone when one has got to go.
>>
>>32754737
most vets allow you to actually administer the dose after they prepped it.
>>
>>32755124
>>32754737
I personally would do paw imprints and/or ashes.
>>
I was an explosive detection k9 handler for 10 years. I deployed three times with my dog and at home station worked 12 hour+ shifts with him.

I had to put him down and I guarantee I had a much stronger bond with that dog than most have with their own families.

It really pisses me off when I see old animals incapable of walking on their own or losing control of their bowels being kept alive by selfish owners.

Put your fucking animals down when it's time you pieces of shit.
>>
File: 1484073327187.gif (666KB, 640x391px) Image search: [Google]
1484073327187.gif
666KB, 640x391px
>>32747089
>I cried so hard and I went to grab my glock so I could end her suffering.
fuck my ass
>>
File: 1475191556507.jpg (9KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
1475191556507.jpg
9KB, 276x183px
>>32755181
It's so simple... It's so genius... It just might work...
>>
>>32755124
>Attack on titan
faggot
>>
>>32747915
>falling for the "rabbits have worms" meme

kek
>>
>>32755424
The fact that you saw that instead of the bunny actually makes you the faggot, faggot
>>
>>32745837
>>32745854
>>32745876
>>32745890
>>32745925

Thanks for sharing m8. Having to make the decision to put a pet down is really tough. When my cat got sick, I considered putting her down myself, but all I had at the time was a bolt action .22 and a .38 special revolver. I figured the .22 might not be enough, but the .38 would be too loud and make a mess.

I've hurt people in a defensive capacity before and shot and killed other animals, but pulling the trigger on a pet would be extremely painful.
>>
>>32755605
.22 is more than enough for most animals, somebody i know put down a malamute with a .22
>>
>>32755614

Like the OP, I was more concerned about having another round or two available quickly, just in case.
>>
>>32746832
You know you can retrain dogs right? How the fuck are you this dumb?
>>
>>32745837
I've put down a lot of old, crippled cows over the years with my 30-30 and no two take it the same. Everyone of them knows damn well whats about to happen when I walk out there and stand over them. Some lift their heads and look at me. Some look away with their heads against the ground. I try to make it as painless as possible. I suspect that some have survived the first shot and suffered needlessly, but they're so lifeless when it comes time to do the deed that it impossible to tell if they're still alive after put the shot in their head. They don't act any different.
>>
>that fucking feel when my dog is starting to show her age

She's a 15 year old mini-schnauzer and I can't fucking tell how she is. One day out of the week she's stumbling and can't stand straight, then the rest of the time she's running about the house like she's a puppy.

She's definitely old, though. She's getting there.
>>
File: feels.jpg (58KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
58KB, 720x540px
You did good OP, and sorry it had to be like that.

My battle bunny is almost 8 and I dread having it come to this with him, but all things must wither and die.

if you find yourself lonely, wait a month or 2 and try to adopt another rabbit. itll help.

also, pic is for doggos, but can be applied to any pet.
>>
I want a rabbit really badly, but I aspire to be a cop, and I don't think a rabbit would do well with the shifts I imagine I'd be getting. He/she'd be alone for long stretches at a time.
>>
File: 1484465453521.jpg (132KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484465453521.jpg
132KB, 720x960px
>>32745837
/k/omrade I am sorry to hear this. How is your current job?
>>
OP did his duty, and that's all that can be asked of anyone.

I had to sign my late wife's DNR paperwork, but it was my duty and promise to her. It being your duty doesn't make it easier, but you learn to understand.
>>
File: Bad day fishing.webm (1MB, 320x426px) Image search: [Google]
Bad day fishing.webm
1MB, 320x426px
Have you guys ever noticed that an animal with it's head shot off will continue moving around, but the same won't happen with a human? I wonder if that means that animals have a lot of heuristics in their nerves, but humans have everything controlled consciously because we are sentient.
>>
>>32755777
rabbits are very social, and love company, human or from another rabbit.

my bunny flops when the whole family is in the room talking because he knows were there.

you could try getting 2 to keep each other company, if you are worried about them being alone.

theyre great pets though, and my one regret is not getting my first rabbit a bunny buddy even though there's usually someone home.
>>
>>32755655
yah sure just let this dog kill this other dog and then live with a problem dog that could hurt anyone at anytime, I'll just spend the 10 years retraining it LOL
>>
>>32748695
Rabbits are a lot leaner and take longer to reach eating size. Grocery store chicken is ~ 8 weeks old. So chicken makes more sense from an agribusiness point of view.
>>
File: obergruppenführer scurd.png (656KB, 1156x771px) Image search: [Google]
obergruppenführer scurd.png
656KB, 1156x771px
>>32746162
he was loved anon, you gave him a home, and an easy passing.
it could have been much much worse....

>be 12
>have cat named mickey because he had a mickey mouse pattern on him
>mickey does not abide by your normal house cat rules, mickey wants outside like a dog
>he never goes far, just the old lady next door
>she feeds him and enjoys the company
>one day hear strangest noise ive still to this day ever heard
>after a career in the army, i can say even now, scariest noise ive ever heard
>it was like death its self moaned threw my parents large home
>disturbed but very curious i searched
>its coming from upstairs
>its....its an animal i think?
>walk slowly up the stairs
>a woft of copper, thick and musty hits me
>what...what is that?
>as i near the edge of the stairs another growling moan is let out from the bathroom infront of the stairs
>i peek over the top step
>i wish to this day i had not been the first one to see this horrible sight, it fucking changed me, like deeply changed me
>on the floor is my cat mickey, a pool of frothy chunky thick blood about a foot and a half in diameter around his head
>in horror i could do nothing but stare
>then it happened
>he started to moan again
>and it was abruptly interrupted by vomiting blood with chunks of what i can only imagine are his insides as they looked fleshy
>i no shit cringe now even as i type this
>i was 12, so i did what any other freaked the fuck out 12yo would do and i ran for my dad
>my dad came inside and was like "HWAAT is it boy?"
>imagine hank hill
>i brought him to my cat, writhing in pain
>my dad was like "go watch cartoons bud ill take care of him"
>what he meant was bury him.....he died by the time we got back up stairs...
>a couple days later we learned he ingested anti-freeze possibly from our neighboors house, the old lady dropped a jug in her garage
>apparently animals think its food because it smells or tastes sweet, idk thats just what the vet told us...

so pro tip.......
>>
>>32755777
If you get two, they can keep each other company, but that doesn't mean you can just leave them locked up every day with no play time and no interaction with them.

The other issue with rabbits is that you have to make sure they eat and drink, becuase if they stop for whatever reason for a day, they'll be dead. If you aren't going to be available, have a monitoring system and some one to call if there seems to be an emergency.

>>32755978
>>32748695
I think the issue also partly has to do with it also being a common pet. Wholefoods tried to sell rabbit meat at select stores, but were picketed by animal rights groups and rabbit rescue groups.

I personally don't care if people eat rabbits, as long as it's not a pet.
>>
File: IMG00245-20100228-1319.jpg (460KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG00245-20100228-1319.jpg
460KB, 1600x1200px
>>32755809
Not bad. Got laid off in September, and been doing odd jobs since then. Freelance programming, CCDW classes, and driving for lyft in our college town. Current gig is a contract thing over an hour away and they keep extending it. Pays steadier and better than other work, but the drive is rough. Getting better at it though. Can't complain. God is good.
>>
File: KIMG0052.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0052.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>32745837
Thank you for this thread OP.

Time is short for my doggo, he's not in any pain (according to the vet), but he's got lymphoma and a mass on his heart that's starting to constrict his lungs. He's still strong and able to get around on his own, but I know I've got to be vigilant against suffering and make that same choice probably before summer.

It's gonna hurt me a lot, bud. Wait for me on the other side...
>>
File: 1484076008809.jpg (78KB, 527x710px) Image search: [Google]
1484076008809.jpg
78KB, 527x710px
>>32756083
>>32756083
Let me know if you need help with you resume or something.

Sorry about your bunny and thanks for sharing.
>>
File: 1405047386497.jpg (108KB, 529x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1405047386497.jpg
108KB, 529x1056px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WJLkCsVDw
>>
>>32746303
Dude, snakes are very hard to kill. Knock their heads off with a shovel and they will bite and writhe for an hour, sometimes more. The only snakes I've seen killed without a twitch were run over lengthwise on the highway, and their guts blew out their heads.
>>
>>32754737
Cool story Hannable.
Could always put the remains in a press for that fine ass bunny oil.
>>
>>32755841
This, pack animals require attention and tbey can develop odd, human like forms of depression if abandoned or abused.

Birds will self mutilate or act super aggressive.
>>
I had to put my dog of 5 years down literally 3 hours ago. I wasn't home and gf was watching her. She apparently ate something poisonous. GF called me panicking she didn't have a car to take her to vet hospital. By the time I got home she was having seizures and then was barely gasping for air and in pain.

After I did it I told my gf I should put her down for her negligence. She's in the bedroom crying, but fuck her.
>>
File: 1480579702489.jpg (10KB, 186x356px) Image search: [Google]
1480579702489.jpg
10KB, 186x356px
>>32745925
>Don't wait. Don't lie to yourself. Don't let them suffer more than they should because you're too chicken to make the hard decision. This is my only regret.

i had my dog put down last year.
> seizures
hurts every time i think about her, she was too young, not even two years old.

her last seizure lasted over a day and i couldn't bare to see her suffer for so long

if i didn't have access to a vet, i don't know if i would've been able to pull a trigger.

life gives us difficult choices don't it?
>>
My parents had me dig the grave for my childhood golden retriever when i was in high school. That walk with the shovel to my grandparents house was one of the hardest things I've ever done knowing he was still alive and he only had a few days left. Cancer ended up getting him,just started coughing blood one day and wouldn't eat. I'll never forgive my mother for not letting me say goodbye,she waited until i was at school to take him to the vet to be put down and cremated. The hole is still out on my grandparents property, i refused to go back and fill it.

Rip rusty. No dog will ever replace the gap you left.
>>
>>32758340
No one will replace the gap you left, you refused to fill the hole.

Jk, couldn't help myself. Sorry about doggo.
>>
>>32755424
He has AoE though, which should be redeemable.
Attack on Titan isn't bad by any means btw, give it a watch, faggot.
>>
>>32757944
*butt fuck her
>>
>>32757944
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your doggie is in heaven :)

I bet your gf feels pretty shitty about it, maybe you should forgive her.

Any idea what your doggo ate?
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.