[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got some guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Gunacquisitions.jpg (1MB, 3194x1858px) Image search: [Google]
Gunacquisitions.jpg
1MB, 3194x1858px
Hi /k/, I made a thread yesterday asking for advice about picking some guns from my grandfather's collection.

I got the guns this morning, ended up with three. Since they haven't been used in a long time, I'll be taking them to a gunsmith later this week, any advice on finding one?

>Winchester Model 70-458.
>Remington 1100
>Colt .32 Police Positive

Pic related, it's my guns.

Hi to Nathaniel if you browse /k/.
>>
You made some good choices. Love the elephant gun.
>>
>>32744683
I mean why take them to a smith when they probably just need a good disassembly and wipe down? Unless they're rusted to fuck then you'll probably need a smith.
>>
My dad thought I was an idiot for taking the elephant gun over some of the more practical smaller caliber hunting rifles. I wanted something that's expensive to shoot, ear splittingly loud, has painful recoil, and can take out any big game rampaging through the neighborhood.
>>
>>32744740
I'm not super familiar with guns, I want to make sure there's nothing that might be broken and cause problems.
>>
>>32744858
Am I being overly cautious, or is this a good idea?
>>
File: colt32.jpg (26KB, 607x455px) Image search: [Google]
colt32.jpg
26KB, 607x455px
Picture of the Colt .32 Police Positive
>>
>>32744858
Bruh, jump right in. It's a bolt, a revolver, and the easiest to maintain auto shotgun on the market. Youtube field strips for them. You won't need a screwdriver for any of it. Any basic gun cleaning kit with rods will have everything you'll need for those three guns. Now if something looks broken then get it checked by a smith, other than that enjoy learning how to take care of your new guns.
>>
>>32745272
I think it's a good idea, if only for your own peace of mind.
>>
>>32745272
i think youre being overly cautious but if you have money for a GS, go ahead.
i saw your thread yesterday, its nice you got 3 of them
>>
>>32745272
Getting a gunsmith to 'once over' a rifle as powerful as a 458winmag isn't a bad idea. Also good to check the timing on the revolver.
>>
>>32745319
>i saw your thread yesterday,

Also, in case anyone was curious what the "really big" .22 was, it was a Remington Rangemaster. https://www.gunsamerica.com/974198232/Remington-Model-37-22LR-Target-Range-Master-1946-with-Lyman-Scope.htm
>>
>>32745322
What's the price for this sort of thing? $50? $100?
>>
>>32746452
Bump
>>
>>32744683
>>32744764
Can you please post a close-up pic of the action of your model 70? I'm curious to see how old it is. You may have a $5k gun
>>
>>32745272
Maybe but I'd just get the revolver and elephant gun to a smith and while waiting get a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers, a cleaning kit, oil, solvent and maybe a punch set.
>>
>>32746452
Shop around, but about 25-50 per gun is what they usually charge. If you have the money I'd go for it but >>32748481is pretty much all you need to do. Do not fucking cheap out on the screwdriver bit set and get brass punches if you are just starting out, be careful though because you can still fuck up parts if you aren't careful.

If you meet resistance soak it in penetrating oil like Kroil and come back the next day to try again, no reason to rush it, your grandpa looks to have taken care of his guns so this probably won't be much of a problem
>>
>>32748414
I'll snap some pics after work today.
>>
>>32748414
I did check the serial number which dates it to 1981.
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for the following things I need to buy:

Softsided case for the Model 70: (The case I used to take this out was a huge hardsided case. My .22's case, and the case I carried out the shotgun in the cannot hold this rifle and scope.

Case for the revolver. It was also taken out in the huge hardsided case.

Set of gunsmithing screwdrivers

Set of brass punches

I've got a gun cleaning kit that I believe will work for all of these guns.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.