[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong? Did it come out at the wrong time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: z-m_lr300-2000[1].jpg (15KB, 650x223px) Image search: [Google]
z-m_lr300-2000[1].jpg
15KB, 650x223px
What went wrong?

Did it come out at the wrong time?
>>
File: z-m_lr300axl[1].jpg (13KB, 650x198px) Image search: [Google]
z-m_lr300axl[1].jpg
13KB, 650x198px
Later model from when the design and tooling were sold to Para. Apparently they were pretty shit. Haven't been able to pin a cause on the problems. The only thing I can guess is the thing being overgassed.
>>
>>32742290
The company got bought out at the wrong time. Considering what they were they were priced higher than other piston ARs.
>>
>>32743986
But it's not a piston AR.

Well, no more than any other AR-15.
>>
If I remember right they were pretty pricey. Not to mention they had some questionable build quality. To add to that spare parts were scarce and the Ar market was pretty immature at the time.
>>
>>32742290
Why is the rear sight so far forward?
>>
Most aesthetic AR ever produced
>>
File: lr_300[1].jpg (16KB, 600x301px) Image search: [Google]
lr_300[1].jpg
16KB, 600x301px
>>32744530
Presumably because pic related
>>
It was just so far ahead of its time nobody really cared for it. There wasn't a market and if they came out with it today they'd have been rich.

The front sight is so far up because of how it was meant to function. Quick sight picture, some sort of philosophy blah blah memes.

It was a civ weapon that was designed for combat, of course it fucking failed.
>>
>>32742326
Dang, they made it look like just another generic piston AR.
>>
>>32742290
I still want a ZM Strike Pistol
>>
>>32744613
There's no conventional gas piston. The gas tube is just sleeved over with an op rod/spring.
>>
>>32744626
>ZM Strike Pistol

google search no results what?
>>
Wonder when the patents will expire, and someone else makes their own version?
>>
>>32746976
Patents last for 30 years, yes? Or was it 50.
>>
>>32745758
Just a no stock short barrel version is what he means, I guess.
>>
File: oa93a[1].jpg (106KB, 711x429px) Image search: [Google]
oa93a[1].jpg
106KB, 711x429px
similar weapon
Oly Arms OA-93
>>
>>32746986
Fuck, idk.

I know disney sucessfully lobbied for 50 due to "muh mickey mouse" but idk if that applies to patents or just IPs.
>>
>>32746986
20 from the day of acceptance if it's an American application and 20 from the day of application in the rest of the world.
You can get extensions but not for very long.
>>
>>32747106
IPs are copyright, which expire X amount of years after the original creator dies(seeing as Disney the corporation is technically the creator of Mickey Mouse that means they'll own it until the company itself goes under, and then a little bit after that). Actual physical products, like gun designs, are patents, which are X number of years, then the patent expires and anyone can make their own copy, they just have to come up with a different name, because names are trademarks, which is a whole other thing.
>>
Are there -any- options if you want essentially a bufferless AR? That thing looks sick.
>>
>>32747161
Sig MCX
SBR'ing a lelkek PLR16
>>
>>32742290
>Did it come out at the wrong time?

Yes.
Presuming they could get the cost down to a competitive point, that thing would sell like hotcakes today.
>>
File: xcr-762x39mm-pwd-rs1.jpg (129KB, 1000x474px) Image search: [Google]
xcr-762x39mm-pwd-rs1.jpg
129KB, 1000x474px
>>32747161
>>32747179

Rob Arms is also an option. Though the owner is a bit of an ass.
>>
>>32742290
It got bought by Freedom Group, and they did what they always do.
>>
>>32747211
how so? Ive always wanted an XCR so im kinda curious
>>
>>32742290
It was expensive for what it was ($1700 retail new).

The tactical rifle market was a hell of a lot smaller than what it is now.

It had accuracy and QC issues from both manufacturers of it (Z-M and Para Ordnance).

It lacked much of the customizability of the AR15 due to only superficially resembling it, parts interchangeability was pretty much nil (grip and dustcover only, even the fcg was different enough to disallow use of aftermarket AR15 parts).

It came about in the middle of the Clinton AWB (first produced in 2000).
>>
>>32747211
>>32747179
Can you use AR lowers, uppers, barrles, or handguards with either of them?

Also, Rob Arms' product page is fucking broken.
>>
>>32747220

The early guns had a bunch of problems. They weren't very popular in the US, but they were one of the better options several years ago in Canada. We basically were their beta testers.

The guy didn't react well to the very deserved criticisms and there were more than a few flame wars. IIRC, he was also banned from SHOT for violating the rules.
>>
>>32747257
The MCX can use a few parts from AR's (grip, some FCG's, collapsible stocks if you get the non-skeletonized folder or a buffer tube adaptor). The PLR can't use any of them. The XCR can use a few parts (grip, FCG).
>>
>>32747287
>MCX
>Only available barrel is pencil 16"

God fucking damnit, and it was looking so good, too.
>>
>>32742326
I'd blame having excessively low bolt mass. They remove the buffers, cut the bolt carrier in half, and then barely add any weight with the hollow extended gas key. Lightweight carriers+buffers that aren't precisely tuned are jam factories
>>
>>32749027
source for my judgement, I've been researching lightweight ARs recently
>>
>>32747328
You say it like it's a bad thing
>>
>>32749027
Certainly a factor.
>>
>>32747220
If I'm not mistaken the employees of the company pretty much banned him from interacting with customers anymore. Any rifle that came in with issues he acted like he walked in on you having a threesome with his wife and dog. Also his handling of the Robinson M96 was terrible, built the rifles and the very moment he announced the XCR he ditched the M96 and didn't even have the decency to make small parts available or service guns. I'm pretty certain if you sent an M96 in today you'd get your rifle back with a picture of a dick attached.
>>
>>32747328
You can change out to an 11" 5.56 barrel, 9" .300 memeout barrel, or 16" .300 blackmeme barrel with two torx screws and a couple of minutes. They were horrible about shipping the barrels for a long time (like people got on the wait list and waited a year and a half horrible) but they're getting on the ball now.
>>
>>32747328
Also, if you have a halfway competent machinist near you, it's not difficult to convert any barrel you desire to fit in the MCX. The design is not that complicated, and the few rifles that shipped with accuracy problems were from bad factory machining anyways so you might be better off.
>>
>>32749027
TANSTAAFL
>>
>>32742290
I wonder how uncomfortable it'd be to costa-grip this thing. Gasses that don't make it into the BCG get spat back out into the handguard area rather than the receiver because of the elongated gas key.
>>
>>32742290
>>32742326
>>32744588

>TFW you want one of these purely because of STALKER

My AR almost was one. Almost. I found an upper selling for $600 on teh interwebs...
>>
>>32747328
Yeah mcx doesn't have a pencil barrel
>>
>>32742290
they were expensive and only liked factory M855 and M193 5.56 NATO. later under YHM and Para they added match 68 and 77 SMK to the list, but it was always an expensive rifle.

i've been using mine for over a decade without any real issues. a little front heavy and annoying to disassemble the front, but otherwise it's a neat AR.
>>
>>32744530
it's a competition Williams sight. it's meant to be far forward to force your focus to be on the front sight while having room for a red dot.
>>
>>32747216
no it didn't. Para sold it back to Zitta prior to the Freedom buyout of Para USA.
>>
>>32747233
it had no real accuracy issues; it was a tack driver in all ways as a competition gun. it did have early reliability issues with non standard ammo - it liked 5.56 NATO only pretty much, and later under Para they modified it to also work with match ammo.

the lower can be a standard AR-15 lower without any modifications assuming you aren't buying the military version which had a unique auto sear trip so you're completely wrong there. it's the upper that is largely unique - even the barrel until YHM started making parts.
>>
>>32742290
They basically turned one of these into a bullpup to make the ISA/Vektan Forces' assault rifle in the Killzone series.
>>
>>32744626
>>32745758
>>32746987
Rock river arms is making a piston operated gun with no buffer

Granted the LR300 wasn't piston, but it's an option
>>
>>32747161
see>>32758568
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1920x1080px
>>32742290
It's too inaccurate. Can't complain about the recoil though, that shit is deadly.
Definitely. No reason for a military-grade assault rifle to be less accurate at longer distances then the Assault Rifle, which is literally made from scrap.
>>
>>32758933
Never played Rust. Any good, or more indy-crafty-survivally bullshit?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.