[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing wolves and bears with an axe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

Not sure if this is an /out/ question, but say if i were to go camping, and get into a bear or wolf(ves) encounter, would I be able to fight it off with say a 6 inch camp knife or a hatchet?
>pic related

How likely am I to get fucked up?
>No, I can't conveniently bring my firearm with me due to restrictions.
>>
>>32736908
You'll be dead. Get bear spray or a black powder revolver
>>
>>32736908
More luck banging pots and pans together than fighting a bear with a hatchet. Bear spray or some form of mace. Won't necessarily stop wolves though since reports have shown it doesn't seem to bother them as much.
>>
It's possible, I read an article years back in Field and Stream of some similar outdoor magazine of a 69 year old man who got jumped by a grizzly while he was cleaning a deer, managed to kill it with a Buck 110 but got mauled pretty well in the attempt. You might fair better against A wolf, but if you encounter a pack you're probably boned.
>>
>>32736908
You will die.
>>
wolves hunt in packs

and a bear would be on top of you before you could get a good attack in
>>
>>32736908
Hatchet would be more than enough for bear and wolves at same time. Bring vodka, we celebrate and make coats!
>>
>>32736908

If it's a concern and you can't carry a firearm or better yet spray, then just carry a sound walking staff. Ie. A stick. You'll find one or two in nature.

A stick will help you walk, shift your balance, makes you appear larger to dispel confrontations before they happen. They give you reach to strike your opponent where they cannot strike back, and a lever to apply a lot more force than a hand tool.

Also if you absolutely had to you can turn it into a crude spear by lashing a blade to one end.

T. forestry worker who has had to fight off bears.
>>
>>32736908
There was a story in an outdoors magazine like that.
>Be guide in Boundary Waters
>Hear clients screaming in bushes
>Grab camp axe and run to help
>Bear is mauling client
>Pursue bear with axe
>Chase bear into water
>Pursue bear in canoe
>Kill bear with camp axe "in a single blow"
>Collect carcass and taxidemrize at lodge

Probably bullshit, but I thought it was interesting at the time.
>>
>>32737011
There's also instances of guys fighting and killing mountain lions and grizzlies with their bear hands (fine, bare hands). They suffocated or choked them unconscious then smacked them on the head with a stick/rock.
>>
>>32737028
My point that I forgot to say was, if you want to live, carry bear spray.
>>
>>32737028

There was one case where the dude choked a grizzly by jamming his fist down it's thrown and pinching the carotid between the hand on the inside and the hand on the outside. This was of course because the grizzly was trying to eat his arm and he had to make due, but still pretty fucking brutal.

But yeah, spray and guns are much better odds.
>>
>>32736914
>>32736930
>>32736938
>>32736939
I mean I've only ever seen black bears, and coyotes...but I can't imagine it would be TOO hard to land a good hit with an ax. Even if you were on the ground, are their hides (wolf/bear) that thick you can't seriously maim it through repeatedly stabbing it?
>>
File: is of bear removal comrade.jpg (184KB, 700x471px) Image search: [Google]
is of bear removal comrade.jpg
184KB, 700x471px
>>32736969
Pfft! hatchet is too easy!
Bats or electrical hedge trimmers is more sport.
>>
>>32737035

If he wants to live, he should carry a gun. Google it, not rare or even that uncommon for the sprays (even the top tier shit) to not work. It is funny when ppl are morons, they spray themselves with it on accident.

Yeah, a shit ton of studies in the last 12 months or so, have proven that spray is not that effective, you're better off playing dead.
>>
>>32737009

This guy has the right of it

This isn't a videogame where random wildlife is going to approach you and then fight you to the death when you leave town. Yelling and swinging a big stick so it makes a 'whoosh' noise will scare off anything you could have ever hoped to kill with a hatchet.

My grandpa carries an air horn alongside his Ruger when he walks the back of his property. It seems smart since it will both scare the fuck out of whatever critter you don't want coming near you and also alert people nearby that something is wrong.
>>
>>32737009
This

Was working as a field tech and some moron's hyper aggressive pitbull rushed me.

>> Co. has a no weapons policy
>> coworker who killed an attacking dog the previous year was fired on the spot

Wound up using a probing rod (ski pole is closest comparison) swinging wildly at it's face + kicks and yelling at the top of my lungs until it's owner came and claimed it.

If I hadn't had that "stick" I would have been snacked on, and then fired for killing someone dog.

Which is to say, a club or a staff is a powerful tool we overlook.
>>
>>32737406
What company so we know to not give them buisness?
>>
>>32737672
AT&T. All the Telecom companies are the same though, they all hate guns and are highly left leaning the higher in management you go. See Time Warner's support/shilling for Hillary via CNN and campaign contributions.
>>
>>32737111
Well, if you're in hatchet/knife distance you're also well within bear distance. And if you're within bear distance your gonna get faceraped.
>>
>>32736908
6 inch knife, no.

The hatchet you would literally have to strike a killing blow at the exact second it's in ideal range, calculating back swing and everything perfectly. So no, you're not that ninja.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 310x163px
>>32736908
Maybe. People've killed them with less. Those people get really fucked up in the process.

If you don't hike with a real weapon you'd be better off making a spear. Distance and penetration are your friend.

But you shouldn't end up in that situation anyway. Make noise and keep food out of the way.
>>
File: 0000.jpg (117KB, 736x1197px) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
117KB, 736x1197px
don't use a hatchet. a hatchet is front heavy, and thus unwiedly to use without a shield. you hit and miss and you won't have enough time to recover, and a wolf goes for your throat.
your best weapon is a spear. maybe carry a spearhead in your backpack if you're scared of animals, and the spear shaft can be your walking stick? if you don't want to do that, just carry a machete. machete is fast, lethal, and cuts well, and allows you to recover. you can also stab with a machete
>>
You have a chance of surviving 3 or less wolves armed with a knife, though you will almost certainly be injured. Nothing short of a .44 magnum is gonna stop a bear, and that's with a perfect shot between the eyes under extreme stress and at a target charging you at 30 mph. I would want a 12 gauge for a bear, semiauto pistol or SBR for wolves.
>>
my great grandfather killed a bear with his axe, he discovered it was a mother bear with three cubs so he took them back home. two died and the other he kept as a pet for years, it would sit on the front porch and just kinda chill and wander the front yard. my great grandmother didn't like it being on the porch so she would chase it off with a broom
one day it knocked her down to show dominance so great gramps shot it.
>>
>>32737111
>I mean I've only ever cut water bottles, and cans...but I can't imagine it would be TOO hard to land a good hit with an blade. Even if you were on the ground, are their hides (wolf/bear) that thick you can't seriously maim it through repeatedly stabbing it?

That's about how you sound right now. A human with any melee weapon < a bear or several wolves.

Should you fold up and accept death? No, but if you're up against a bear you're likely boned.
>>
>>32736908
Are you really this stupid?
>>
>>32736908
Bear spray, anon. You are not Conan the fucking Barbarian.
>>
No, if you see a bear fighting it is the absolute last thing you want to do. You aren't a video game character, that fucker weighs more than you, has tougher skin, and teeth and claws. You need to be making a lot of noise and appearing bigger than the bear or you're fucked. Don't climb a try, don't try to out swim it, it can do both of those things better than you can.
Just make noise and stand your ground, and you'll probably come out alive
>>
>>32736908

Spear is what you want

That's what people used against animals if they had no bow
>>
>>32737136
jesus. How did that bear get a pick handle
>>
>>32736908
If you get attacked by a bear or a pack of wolves, like no shit ATTACKED, not just confronted, you're going to get fucked up regardless of your choice of weapon. If you want the weapon that will increase the likelihood of surviving said attack, bring a gun.

That said, you can fight off animals with your bare hands if you have to. You just have to be more ferocious than they are. Animals retreat when they're losing, every time. Humans don't always have that problem. You get attacked, you fight to the death, because they'll murder you if you surrender.
>>
>>32738722
yeah, a machete does at LEAST 1d4 damage, and you can even dual wield!
>>
>>32737111

See, that might work on a wolf, or even a blackie.

But when a brown bear gets after you, it's gonna come on like a freight train playing hell sowing oats. If you're fortunate enough to have time to see the bear in advance, you'd better have a gun. Or some spray and the blessing of a higher power. If you don't see the bear in time, you're gonna need to play dead or get a lucky shot off with a big-bored gun.
>>
File: Boar Spear.jpg (21KB, 497x497px) Image search: [Google]
Boar Spear.jpg
21KB, 497x497px
>>32736908
You'd need a spear with a bar close to the pointy end to effectively stop a bear mauling you to shit.

The bar/quillons are to stop the bear just letting the spear pass through them to get at you. Any spear used on big dangerous animals should have this feature

>pic related, a boar spear, same thing applies
>>
File: bear-killer.jpg (378KB, 2353x1755px) Image search: [Google]
bear-killer.jpg
378KB, 2353x1755px
>>32736908
I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>32736908
>wolves
if they actually try and fuck with you, you might get to hit one and then you would get raped to death by like 5 other furries jumping at you from different directions. Wolves hunt in packs for a reason
>bear
You're fucking dead. A bear will have a greater reach than you, and can more than likely tank a hit from a hatchet.
>>
>>32742490
I think a charging bear would just push the spear out of your hands. I mean you cant beat inertia(?). I think a lug-less spear would be better. It would at least push its way though the bear completely if braced, where as the lugged one would break if braced. No matter how much of a bad ass bear it is, Heart pierced means bleeding out quickly. Of course I know nothing, and am pulling this out of my ass.
>>
- lighter
- hair spray
- balls
by your powers combined, I can scare most any animal!
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.