[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

riot gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: russian riot cops.jpg (126KB, 976x549px) Image search: [Google]
russian riot cops.jpg
126KB, 976x549px
Why do we use plastic shields when we could also use steel plated Russian shields?

By the way where can I buy one the only shit I can find on amazon is this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125J4FY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00125J4FY&linkId=6edf00929510ebe6b39f9c1df34ee6eb
>>
Why would we use metal when plastic is lighter and gets the same results?
>>
They're not meant to be bullet proof; they're meant to deflect thrown objects, protect the user from blows, and act as a force multiplier. Plexiglass serves all of these purposes and doesn't obstruct the user's view.
Like a lot of other outdated things that the Russians use, it's for one of two reasons. It looks scary and intimidating, or they can't be bothered to modernize.
>>
>>32735858
Oh and it's probably cheaper to issue a department with sheet metal shields rather than plexiglass ones. That's really the only benefit.
>>
I'd prefer a steel plate shield then a polycarbonate one
>>
be glad you're not dutch riot police, we are still using the same gear from 1970 and the same round wicker shields as well.
>>
>>32735910

I think I'd prefer lexan infused kevlar.

Light, small arms resistant, etc
>>
Because Russia has a "just werks mentality".
>>
>>32735820
>use steel plated Russian shields?
This are made from aluminum.
>>
>>32735920
Wouldn't a molotov light those shields on fire? It looks like they are made from a Rotan Chair.
>>
>>32735920
And the rioters throw potatos?
>>
>>32736040
>>32736321
Well the Dutch haven't seen any large riots ever so that's why they don't upgrade the gear but that might change in the future
>>
>>32735910
>I'd prefer a steel plate shield then a polycarbonate one

I see you've never been on a march before. Do you also go on frequent rants with how M14s should've never been replaced with the BB gun M16?
>>
>>32736622
>>32736040
I'd be more worried about the coverage if we're going into some sort of Dutch euromaidan
>>
Those are aluminum, aluminum is actually lighter than polycarbonate since it doesn't have to be as thick and doesn't suffer UV degradation but it won't stop projectiles any better and you can't see through it as well.

I have a 24" round aluminum riot shield, it looks nice hanging on my wall along with my aluminum PR-24.
>>
>>32736820
Are you Ukrainian, or just prepared for the oft chance of riots?
>>
>>32736844

I'm a Pennsylvanian, a buddy of mine was a career Marine and Corrections officer, his garage/man-cave is full of such things. He recommended I go with aluminum due to the aforementioned degradation. He has half a dozen 30-odd year old shield/baton combos hanging in his garage, the shields have all yellowed and the batons have all become curved with age.

I wouldn't care to be caught out in the street during a riot so they're mostly for fun and decoration, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have them.
>>
File: 60113080_p0.png (216KB, 884x893px) Image search: [Google]
60113080_p0.png
216KB, 884x893px
>>32736901
Neat
>>
File: received_1376799012391190.jpg (156KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_1376799012391190.jpg
156KB, 2048x1536px
>>32736844
I have some friends in ukraine. they don't really talk about the stuff they have for riots i think they just get some shit together and go
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.