[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parts Kit Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 16967991_1.jpg (64KB, 1200x498px) Image search: [Google]
16967991_1.jpg
64KB, 1200x498px
Thinking about trying to build a gun out of a parts kit. Any tips?

If you've built anything I sure would love to see it.
>>
Semi related I just got the parts for a sten mk 3 (which OP should do, as I think its the easiest to begin with, get the kit, barrel and reciever blank)

But I have a question for people that have made a sten, do you need to modify anything to make sure it isnt full auto? I dont want my doggos getting killed
Also general sten tips appreciated
>>
>>32733979
Semi auto bolt and a few other things google is your friend.
>>
>>32733930
Also interested in this.
Are there any parts kit builds that don't require welding?
>>
>>32735364
welding is stupid easy... especially flux core mig.
>>
>>32735364
only the ar
>>
>>32735380
Yeah but I don't own a welder, and I'd rather not buy one and have to learn to use it just to build one gun.
>>
Anyone know where to get a Receiver for a grease gun build? I can get a kit and the semi auto parts but I am having trouble with finding a receiver that is not in shit shape. Any ideas?
>>
>>32735617
You should buy a welder....

If you want to build guns properly, assuming you're OP, you will need actual tools--like welders, and possibly a mill or a lathe. You might be able to buy any specialized tools you need to build guns properly if building them is popular.
>>
>>32735909
might have to mill out a piece of DOM steel tubing. Better use a steel you can weld to.

Wait, where can I find a grease gun parts kit???
Only Stens and Jewzi's are available for us common plebs.
>>
>>32735364
You could avoid welding on an AK if you buy a pre-built receiver but then you would need a shop press to do the rivets properly.

Also a rivet tool like the one AK-builder sells, it's a damn good tool. Pricey though.
>>
>>32733979
Jsut the bolt.
>>
File: 1483780134331.jpg (115KB, 388x388px) Image search: [Google]
1483780134331.jpg
115KB, 388x388px
>>32735923
Not him, I'm actually OP, I've been eyeballing a FAL parts kit. I kinda figured I would need to do a bit if welding eventually
>>
>>32737077

FAL is a pain in the ass to do due to the construction of the firearm.

Not what I'd recommend for a first or even second build.
>>
I built a couple STEN MK.3's back in the day, I chose to weld the first one and uglied it up something fierce. On the second I used self-tapping screws on the barrel trunnions, a little odd looking but much less ugly than my shitty welds.

Most recently I milled an 80% AR lower. turned out pretty good except that the drill bit walked a bit when I drilled the holes for the trigger and had to fix it with a file so it wouldn't be too ugly and when I was finishing the milling without the jig guide I milled just a bit too much out of the front of the trigger group area so now there's a small hole communicating with the mag release hole. Won't hurt function at all but is rather irksome.
>>
Been considering an mg42 build with the kit sold on Apex.
Maybe robertrtg for the receiver kit.

Anyone else looked into this?

The link they give to the forum posts by the guy who tried to write out a step by step guide just made it look complicated as fuck.
>>
File: czech_sa26_parts_kit_w_trunnion.jpg (13KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
czech_sa26_parts_kit_w_trunnion.jpg
13KB, 265x265px
Anyone tried the SA VZ 26 build from the Apex parts kit?

They're pretty cheap right now and look relatively easy to do
>>
>>32737095
Not him but I've looked into it. Isn't the hardest part getting the barrel properly aligned? You have to check it constantly to make sure the shim is the correct thickness and f it isn't you have to file it down or add to it
>>
>>32738069
>They're pretty cheap right now

They're cheap because the only 80% receiver option is like $250 last time I checked.

I bought a kit when the first hit, hoping that we would see some pretty good support for builds, and it never really materialized. I guess the gun is just too obscure.

You can reweld the tube if you have the equipment to do so, but you'll probably need more than one kit to get enough torch cut pieces together to do it. It's a bitch and a half.
>>
>>32733930
Are there any g3 kits out there?
>>
>>32738069
Can these be converted to 9x19?
>>
>>32738069
You need a barrel and an intact trunnion. The trunnion will come with the kit if you get the right one. The barrel you will have to source externally. They aren't bad if you get a 100% receiver; 80%ers are not the easiest unless you have the capability to make dies to use in a press. The trigger group is attached via two parallel bends in the receiver, hard work without a press. There is also a tab for the charging handle that needs to be pressed out, also not easy.
Basically if you do not have a mill, a press, a welder, and machining-skill, do not attempt.

>>32738101
80%ers are only $125. They are basically a tube with some threads on the end, nothing more.
There are 100%ers for $295. Probably the best way to go given the work that needs to be done to the '80%er'.

>>32738111
Not easily. They are, by default, 7.62 Tok, which means the pistol grip has a slight forward rake which allows the rounds to feed correctly. The 9mm versions do not have a forward rake. If you build it matching the 7.62 version, you will run into feed issues. My advice, just stick with 7.62 Tok, otherwise you will have a serious headache in trying to cobble together 7.62 parts into something that may not work with 9mm.
>>
I just ordered a galil parts kit and some torch cut demilled receivers a week ago, my dad called to tell me that my package arived on Wednesday, can't wait to get home and weld one of those receivers back together.
>>
>>32733930
the uzi build kits are stupidly easy to make.

while it is expensive to do it legally it is much easier to make a pistol instead of a rifle because you get to ignore 922r

that being said if you live somewhere where weapons laws aren't a thing then it is super easy to build a fully automatic uzi.
>>
>>32733930
My buddy bought a full stock Uzi kit from Apex a little while ago, it was cheap and it seems like the build is fairly easy as a first real build. Gotta find a decent welding set up though. Anyone have recommendations?
>>
>>32738103
Apex has CETME-C's and HKParts has actual G3 kits.
>>
File: You want these.jpg (65KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
You want these.jpg
65KB, 640x444px
>>32737162
Next time use a machinist's center drill to start all your drilled holes. Twist drills walk even in a good milling machine, and you'll fucking love having center drill bits for everyfucking thing including hand drill usage.
>>
>>32739760
>Gotta find a decent welding set up though. Anyone have recommendations?

What welding processes do you or your bros know well? Since it's steel you can TIG it even with a basic transformer DC capable transformer machine

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38106-For-The-Can-I-TIG-With-My-Welder-People

but TIG takes a lot of practice for most people.

Flux core a shit for that job but MIG would get it done. I suggest finding a skilled welder who like to shoot and would enjoy helping you if you aren't experienced. Welding is huge fun and as worth learning as shooting.
>>
>>32740011
THIS X1000
These will save your life.
t. guy who took a 2 year machining class
>>
>>32740011
absoulutely necessary make life a lot easier.
>>
File: 20161208_173417.jpg (1MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_173417.jpg
1MB, 2988x5312px
>>32738069
I'm doing a reweld of one right now. I used some 1 1/4" Type M copper pipe for the jig, fits perfectly inside the tube to align everything. I did have to cut some thin channels in it to clear the bolt alignment tabs inside the receiver, however.
I also got lucky and got a friend with a mill to mill a slot down the length of the bolt for a denial bar.
>>
>>32738194
Can a PM 63 be converted to 9x19?
It's 9x18 mak if I remember correctly

I had the VZ 26 and the PM63 mixed up in my head
>>
>>32740635
PM63s can be converted to .380 if I remember correctly.
>>
>>32733930
Hello Mr. ATF please do not shoot my dog
>>
>>32740089
My girlfriend actually knows how to weld far better than I can so I was going to have her help teach us. I guess I'll start looking for some TIG setups and get some things to practice on before attempting the gun itself.
>>
>>32743259
>parts kit
>ATF
At least try to do some research before you make a joke.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.