[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, my grandfather recently died and my grandmother wants to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Rifle Collection.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rifle Collection.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
/k/, my grandfather recently died and my grandmother wants to get his guns out of the house. I get first two choices of around a dozen guns. The rest of the guns will go to other family members. I apologize for not having more details, here is the collection to the best I can recall, I haven't been through it in about 10 years. Does /k/ have any recommendations for what guns I should pick? I have an old Winchester .22 that I like shooting sometimes, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with guns.

Collection:

>About 7 muzzle loaders, two of which he built from kits.
>Winchester 68 .22 rifle
>J Stevens .22 rifle, this was my grandfather's first rifle, he got in when he was a boy in the early thirties. It's a little rusty, but otherwise in great shape
>Two shotguns
>Winchester .458 magnum
>An extremely heavy and large .22 rifle, I wish I could remember more about this gun. I will get a chance to see it tomorrow when I can pick guns.
>A couple other large caliber hunting rifles.
>Colt .32 revolver.

Any recommendations /k/? I'm thinking of the .458 and a shotgun. The muzzle loaders might be fun, although I'm not sure they're something I want to mess around with.

My interests would be target shooting and skeet shooting. One of the gun ranges near me offers beginners skeet shooting lessons. There is also a muzzleloader association in my area that provides free lessons, and would probably be thrilled if a younger guy (I'm 28, and most of the guys on their website look to be 50+) joined up.

(Pic is not mine and not representative of the guns.)
>>
>>32732621
I have a boner for Stevens guns since that was my first rifle too, so I'd nab that J Stevens .22.
That extremely heavy and large .22 rifle could be a Mossberg 44 trainer, or a Stevens training rifle, if the Stevens training rifle I would nab that as well.
Pending what the two shotguns are, Winchester 1897, Remington Model 12 or an Ithaca M37, I'd get one of those, otherwise I'd take that Colt .32 revolver.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think you would enjoy more or what gun really makes you think about your grandpa if you were really close.

I've lost both of my grandfathers and would have loved to have gotten something from them that was firearm related as it's a hobby that I really love.
>>
File: pix443489637.jpg (65KB, 599x415px) Image search: [Google]
pix443489637.jpg
65KB, 599x415px
>>32732621
Colt revolver.

Wait and see what large caliber rifles and shotguns there are.

Look them up on your phone if you have no other option and have to choose right there.
>>
A few more comments/questions from me (the OP)

>.458 Winchester Magnum ammo is really expensive. (I think $3+ per cartridge). I've never shot a gun this big before, and it might not be that much fun. Still, something appeals to me about having the rifle my grandfather shot big African game with.

>None of the guns have been shot in 15+ years. Should I have a gunsmith look them over before I shoot them?
>>
>>32732746
>Ultimately it comes down to what you think you would enjoy more or what gun really makes you think about your grandpa if you were really close.

We were close, but never went shooting or hunting together. His eyesight was bad enough by the time I was old enough to go shooting with him that he wasn't comfortable doing so.
>>
>>32732837
I was underage banned when both of mine died, didn't get to hear any stories about their enlistment, both WWII Vets, or get gud on any of their wills for the guns they had.
>>
>>32732891
My grandfather spent 3 years on an island in the South Pacific from age 19-22. He never saw combat and his job was sending messages about what times planes took off and landed.

It sounded like a fun time.

>That time during training he went to a wedding for some guy who just met a girl the prior weekend
>The draftees who showed up with bad teeth and got a bunch of them pulled
>Sleeping in a tent on the island for three years
>Getting to take out a boat and go fishing on weekends on the island
>>
Bump

Sorry to be that guy who bumps threads, I pick out guns tomorrow morning and am curious if anyone has any insight. I'll post pictures later tomorrow night.
>>
>>32732621
In terms of value, the muzzle loaders could be worth a lot if they're originals and not repros.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170122-065635.png (433KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170122-065635.png
433KB, 1440x2560px
>>32732621
Fuck off faggot
>>
May I ask you a picture if these muzzleloaders?
>>
>>32736162
>Reading comprehension
>>
>>32732621
>a couple other large caliber.....

look, get a definitive list, jerkoff
>>
>>32732621
>Colt .32 revolver.
>Winchester .458 magnum
>Two shotguns
>A couple other large caliber hunting rifles.

I would get them in this order. Be sure to get the shotguns if they are made by a credible company like Ithaca, Winchester, Remington etc. Same applies to the hunting rifles.
>>
>>32732792
>None of the guns have been shot in 15+ years. Should I have a gunsmith look them over before I shoot them?

That would be advisable.
>>
File: mod 12.png (1MB, 2233x425px) Image search: [Google]
mod 12.png
1MB, 2233x425px
>>32732621
>J Stevens .22

is it a model 12? i fucking love this gun

get a .22 with a good bore and then get the .458 or a shotgun
>>
get a small carbine u won't regret
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.