[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats K's opinion on Cav Scouts? 19D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

Are they are a laughing stock meme? Do they actually ever do recon and set up OPs or are they just glorified armored infantry?

We have them in Australia but only a reserve capacity. And they were set up as an interim capability when all the reserve cav regiments lost their APCs. They were given old land rovers and pretty much acted like quasi SASR vehicle mounted troops on weekends. However now days they are pretty much just truck rivers. The capability of motorized recon was never going to be a deplorable one.

So how the US Army manage it?

I mean they get more weapons quals and can do the Infantry recon course so why bother being a grunt?
>>
>>32731433
Deployable*

Actual IRL recon is done by the SASR, and to a certain extent Commando/Infantry Recon.
>>
ANSWER ME
>>
>>32731433

Hello friend

19D here. Our main mission is recon for the unit we are assigned to and our job is to act as a constant force of recon depending on the element. Armored Brigades will have Bradley M3s assigned to them while Stryker Brigades will have (you guessed it) Strykers and the Infantry Brigade cav scouts do their recon Humvee.

Most of our ops do consist of setting up OPs. From here we simply observe and recommend to HQ. CFF, CAS and other such missions are a key part to Cav Scout life. But you will also engage enemy elements depending on force size and situation, and also conduct security operations and generally support the force through things like screen or recon in force.

If you engage the enemy or not depends entirely on situation. Job is not guaranteed combat 100% of the time but then neither are the Infantry.

Oh. You also get to use shit like the Javelin to hit HVTs.
>>
>>32731726
But Infantry can do all of that so why have cav scouts?

>LRS
>Pathfinders.
>>
>>32731433
Armor officer here, I've been in the cavalry world pretty much my entire career.
Prepare to be improperly utilized by a brigade commander that doesn't know a thing about how reconnaissance of the cavalry is supposed to work if you're in an IBCT.
Shit gets old.
>>
>>32731748

Originally Cav Scouts were Infantry. The 11D MOS was part of the 11 series but brass wanted to preserve the Cav units (that were quickly going out of style) so they made the 11Ds Cav.

Make sense? Cav Scouts really arent that different from Mech Infantry and our IBCT dudes are even p similar to Light Infantry thugs. The nomenclature doesnt make sense, I know.
>>
>>32731433
That is so fucking cringy
>>
>>32731726
>From here we simply observe and recommend to HQ. CFF, CAS and other such missions are a key part to Cav Scout life

So pretty much what an Artillery FO does?

Why join infantry or Artillery when you can get all these qualifications in the Cavalry?
>>
>>32731915

just like any military pride picture.
>>
>>32731433
In mechanized units the are generally used as bitch labor by the BN SMJ.
>>
>>32731748
You just operate in smaller units and have a bit more of a lease because muh recon.
>>
>>32731953

We do a little bit of FO's job but it isnt as in depth. Dont think we go to any of those hispeed FIST schools

I donno how to explain our job mane we just get put there and we just operate and its fuckin hooah cav shit mane

G*d bless the heckin cav
>>
>>32731965
wasn't always that way ;_;
>>
>>32732488
You're comparing posters done for recruitment by professionals to moto shit made by junior enlisted with photoshop and too much time on their hands
>>
>>32732717

I think its more to do with the current culture than the seniority of the enlisted members

Nowadays everything is edgy highspeed as fuck
>>
>>32731433
They the stetson and spur faggots? Yeah, they're faggots.
>>
File: IMG_4003.jpg (94KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4003.jpg
94KB, 576x720px
>>32732770
Suck a dick POG. I like the Stetson.
For real tho cav scouts are faggots.
>>
>>32732457
Fister here. Hispeed schools? HAHA. Nah unless we get JFO school or naval gunfire school nothing is highspeed. All though I do hear in AIT these days the kids get CAS training which would've been nice to have before I got to my unit. >>32733107
Nice stetson brah, I got one with red cords.
>>
>>32731433
hated by all, they aren't infantry and arent armour, and have a lot of complexes
>>
>>32731433

i've known few cav scouts, some ncos and a couple e4 mafias

some are obnoxious, some switch to pog jobs because they are tired of getting shot at. out of our entire support battalion we had like 5 people that knew how to properly do field shit and ground firearms training, and they were all former scouts.

the new generation cav scouts these days apparently seem to be working bitch jobs like being an office clerk but maybe thats just fort hood though
>>
>>32733221
Fun Fact: If you're a 19D at a famous Cav Post. You get the bitch desk jobs. Don't ask how it works it just does. Also, fuck hood.
>>
>>32733254

fort hood is the great place tho
>>
>>32733221
>FT Hood
fuck that place
>>
>>32733478
Hi Hassan, how is the jail cell? You just stay in there till you have time to cool yourself from all that workplace violence. If-if-if-if-if I could have I'd pardon you, us Muslims need to stick together now that Trump is president.
>>
>>32733478
I will stab you in the face and proceed to inject you with every drug I can find at the PX afterwards.
>>
>>32733516
>>32733579

i dont see what you guys are upset about, fort hood is one of the largest and most professional military installations in the united states

it is very honorable to be posted there
>>
>>32731433
Ricky was a cav scout before becoming a ranger
>>
>>32733107
nice rack kid, wheres your CIB and campaign ribbons? oh yea....
>>
>>32733478
Thats where I was born. Was told by everyone ever that Ft. Hood is a shithole. Glad I never got stationed there
>>
>>32733800
>19D
>CIB
Wat a minute Dolan
>>
>>32731829
It was 11H, you dumb fuck.

An no Op, Cav Scouts need to be turned into Infantry and rolled into heavy weapons companies.

It would honestly help Cav have the ability to get promoted since the would have a larger MOS pool. I know CAV doesnt want to hear this but its the trruth.
>>
File: CheckYourself_large.png (27KB, 483x373px) Image search: [Google]
CheckYourself_large.png
27KB, 483x373px
>>32734221
>blue cord
>blue disks
>>
>>32733800
I don't know Anon. That Implies you are't inf, so you're a POG which means you ain't shit. (Much like myself) or that means you DO have a CIB and you just wanna shit post.
>>
>>32731433
You have no idea what you are talking about. Royal Australian Armoured Corps after 2014 overhaul have -

1st Armoured (1Bde, Darwin/Adelaide) which are M1A1, M113AS4 APCs, ASLAV.

2nd Cavalry Regiment (3Bde, Townsville) which have M1A1s, ASLAV and M113AS4 APCs.

2nd/14th LHR in (7Bde, Brisbane) who are about to have the same organisation if not already have.

Motorised recon was done by ASLAV in Afghanistan when operating in Combat Teams as the ASLAV was faster and more suited than the Bushmaster, due to capability/weapons/optics/size. Our ASLAVs (2x Combat Team) would always be on the flanks or in front scouting around as we lumbered along.

We had snipers and Recon (1Platoon per Battalion) but never used Recon Platoon members as actual recon, as a drone or P3 could do it a million times better. Snipers were heavily utilised though as CO assets.

Now, SASR conducted vehicle and dismounted Recon patrols early on in the war using LRRPVs which were then gotten rid of for the most part in place of Helicopters after we received Dedicsted Rotary Wing Assets. SASR and 2cdo didn't stop doing recon after they sent their LRRPVs home, they still did it on foot, using Bushmasters etc.

Reserves dont matter, they use a mixture of Old APCs, 110's, LRPVs and now Bushmasters. The dedicated "recon" units will always be Cavalry unless you mean Recon Platoon of each Battalion in the RAR.
>>
>>32733799
Yeah, no.
>>
>>32731449
ITT: USAF has now become ANZAC
>>
>>32733162
Everyone knows 13F is a dead career field.
>>
>>32735008

not as dead as 88M
>>
>>32735100
Don't you move goalposts on me asshole.
>>
>>32735008
Found the guy who failed 13F AIT
>>
>>32734506
Nah, hes talking about the Chockos who lost their Carriers in the AS4 program and got stuck as LR110 mounted 'recon' driving around doing fuckall.
It was just a heirarchy wank to keep the Cav HQs in existence to justify the cavalry officer positions rather than just transfer them over to be extra 343s in the choc grunts.
The same as the Artillery Light Batteries were given the 81mms from the infantry mortar platoons when they lost their guns. So now we have a disconnected mortar platoon that 'needs' its own captains and majors as OC BC BK BSM etc when it used to be just one Lt.
>all those little cucumber sandwiches arent going to eat themselves you know...
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.