[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/owboy beboop thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: 1481527058021.jpg (57KB, 600x323px) Image search: [Google]
1481527058021.jpg
57KB, 600x323px
So, do you think we will still be using late 20th century firearms in the 2060s? Have we hit a wall like how we did with flintlocks?
>>
>>32730253
We hit the wall, but we'll overcome it with caseless and direct energy weapons en-mass.
>>
>>32730448
Makes me wonder; what about caseless with removable heat sinks in them. They don't have to be removed after a mag, but instead maybe a few mag. Since there's enough space saved for them, have a second in the stock. Would this work?
>>
Conventional projectiles driven by explosions is at a wall, maybe mini railguns are the next thing
>>
File: 181403.jpg (123KB, 930x698px) Image search: [Google]
181403.jpg
123KB, 930x698px
>>32730253
i seriously doubt it. Nobody has any firearms made in the 1960's we just destroyed them and lost them all. would be cool to have a car from the 1960's too but it sucks that they all ran out of chronotons and dissapeared
>>
Given the current materials and size constrains yes. What other means are there for a small, portable, reliable projectile weapon?

I see the next big step as a movement towards, lighter, stronger alloys and harder ammo jackets as well as some some sort of rapid expanding material for a massive energy dump.

Suppose we get a gun thats the size of an Mp5, but with the same wound potential, range and accuracy as an M16 (shooting 55gr of course)

This would need better propellants, better metals for strength AND the recoil mechanism. At some point guns are going to get a shit load more powerful, and if we keep getting smaller and lighter than the recoil is going to go up.
>>
>>32730253
laser guided lightning bolts is going to be the new thing
>>
I always figured in universe the development of weapons has been put on hold since large scale wars are difficult and not worth it. In the movie they showed that modern weapons are being developed but there pretty much military/PMC only. All the weapons that the bounty hunters use where smuggled off earth after earth got blow the fuck up.
>>
>>32730693

since the cowboy bebop universe was under a single government entity, with no major power to fight a war against (only rogue colonies with old tech) it would make sense that firearms development would slow down while space tech sped up, however theres a balancing act that happens regardless. If one technology advances quickly, others will follow suit regardless if there is an immediate need. See body armor and weapons in recent, and ancient history.
>>
>>32730253
Small rocks at high speeds will always be an effective weapon.
>>
>>32730549
I always figure the sinks are needed for the inevitable heat burn off. Maybe something small, but large lasers would probably need something the weight of a fucking sedan. A-10 is basically a plane built around a 30mm cannon, we could probably make a plane similar to that. Laser weapons seem more likely to be directly attuned to the battery, using the heat itself as a weapon. I'm no engineer, so don't take my word for it. Also, good job on the mechwarrior mentality. Mechs aren't feasible now, but I'm waiting to see the limits when space tech and zero g battles are a thing
>>
>>32730253
only thing that will change is most likely no lead projectiles, no lead primers. Flintlocks went obsolete due to how slow they were to reload. Modern firearms even low capacity can be reloaded quick enough that their simply useful enough that even if something better came along they'd still be around for decades and considered traditional.
>>
>>32730253
I don't see why not. Even if they're replaced by something better, like DEW's or IEW's, they'll still be plentiful and relatively cheap to make.

With few counters available to the layman, they'd be incredibly useful for damn near everyone to solve problems with.
>>
File: CowboyBebop_Jazz.jpg (137KB, 1131x881px)
CowboyBebop_Jazz.jpg
137KB, 1131x881px
>>32730253
I think there is a wall. Like other people have said, the next step will be easily-produced caseless or even energy weapons, but there's no reason late 21st century police and bounty hunters can't use shit like the 1911 or a CZ clone.
Especially if we develop space tech and/or blow up the moon and abandon Earth for a noir Callisto. Shit would halt or slow down development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s
>>
Absolutely. There are millions upon millions of guns in existence and I'm sure by the close of this century, people will still be carrying antiquated Glocks, 1911s, and what have you.

Earlier last year, I wrote a science fiction story where a human militia on a colonial world in the year 2133 mainly used AK-74Ms as their primary weapons. The reason being they were cheap to buy in bulk and ship out to the star system the action is set in, not to mention extremely reliable and easier to maintain than most contemporary energy or ballistic weapons
>>
>>32730660
nah dude, it's going to be all springs and magnets.
>>
File: 6,000,000keks.png (104KB, 228x361px) Image search: [Google]
6,000,000keks.png
104KB, 228x361px
>>32730253
tell me why cowboy bebop isn't cancer-
>pro-tip, you can't.
>>
>>32730253

I CC an Italian handgun made in 1951, so I don't see why not.
>>
>>32733990
>proving a negative
Here's an idea faggot: tell me why it is cancer
>protip: you can't
>>
I think Halo did it right in terms of personnel weapons. The human military forces are still using ballistic weaponry 550 years into the future because their primary enemies up until the Covenant were human insurrectionists, and it's also just the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of philosophy. You also got starships that use fuckhuge coilguns and nukes, which seems to be a pretty reasonable result of technological progression.
>>
>>32730572
Close. The actual answer would be a gun that uses both chemical propellant and magnetism to accelerate .22 bullets to extreme speeds. Like the chemrail gun.
>>
File: 1394918067703.jpg (36KB, 837x736px) Image search: [Google]
1394918067703.jpg
36KB, 837x736px
>>32730606

>tfw your last chronotons run out
>>
>>32730660
>At some point guns are going to get a shit load more powerful

Why? Are people getting a lot harder to kill?
>>
File: hkusp9mm.jpg (2MB, 2560x1388px) Image search: [Google]
hkusp9mm.jpg
2MB, 2560x1388px
Were there any H&K firearms used in Cowboy Bebop?
Haven't seen the show in ages and forgot what guns were used except for the Jericho.
>>
>>32730740
Furthermore, the CB universe has suffered a cataclysmic end of civilization on earth - its industrial base is shot to shit, and what industry and science they have in the rest of the solar system will probably have to deal overwhelmingly with terraforming, hydroponics etc.
>>
>>32730253

We still use revolvers today. Even if you got fancy ass laser guns, or a new gun that shoots case less rounds...you're still gonna have ppl stick in old ways.
>>
>>32736076
Bow to your new god website
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop
>USP
>Mk 23
>MP5
>G36
>G3
>PSG-1
cowboy bebop was GOAT
>>
>>32736007
yes actually, they will. Exoskeletons are the next big step in infantry. Armouring said exoskeletons is not exactly difficult
>>
If modern firearms are still being used ~150 years from now, would there be improvements in the design and function (like an improvement on short recoil Browning)? Or would we see fancy exotic rounds and better propellants?
>>
>>32736188
Probably better propellants, just depends on good chemical engineers. I'm guessing 'no' on better bullets because those have stayed largely the same for such a long time, and while the mil had experimented with exotic ammo it never lead anywhere. We'll probably see changes in locking mechanism whenever the next generation of propellant arrives. Better propellant -> smaller cases -> new guns designed from scratch
>>
>>32730660
>I see the next big step as a movement towards, lighter, stronger alloys and harder ammo jackets as well as some some sort of rapid expanding material for a massive energy dump.
Next step would be smart weapons like with everything. Put computer inside and now you have aimbot gun. Or even better selfguided heatseeking bullets. Or drones. Or flying drones shooting bullets. Civilians of course would not be invited to this party.
>>
I would say right now the only advance that's worth rolling out in large numbers is recoil reductors.
>>
>>32735305
yeah but weapons on vehicles make sense to be decked out like that because they're primarily meant to be anti-material like other vehicles, sort of like why spike and fey's personal aerial vechiles, spikes has that laser/plasma looking cannon on it. It doesn't make sense to have some super expensive complicated hard to find or maintain sidearm when firearms already exist. For a vehicle it makes sense since it doesn't have to be as small. The vehicle can be used more efficiently to fit a reloading mechanism, power supply, ammunition carrier. Shrinking it down for a person to carry would just be way more complicated and expensive to do the same thing a traditional side arm does.
>>
>>32736007
No harder to kill than they were when cops all over Europe walked around with guns in .32acp, but "shit load more powerful" has been making gun manufacturers money consistently for over fifty years. Effectiveness has little to do with it.
>>
File: make everybody happy.png (260KB, 368x390px) Image search: [Google]
make everybody happy.png
260KB, 368x390px
>>32733990
it has good music and action.
>>
>>32738822
Europeans are always so condescending about 'muh uni educated police don't carry or ever shoot anyone' just because they carried 32 doesn't mean it was effective, it was probably so shit at killing people is why they switched over to not even carrying weapons at all
>>
>>32730253
No way! Space tech means huge developments in light body armor.

Smart rounds will be the norm and so will be large calibres
>>
>>32730253
Honestly beyond some material advances, they do a pretty damn good job. All the people talking about energy weapons and portable railguns need to cool it a bit. Until we get multi kilowatt portable batteries all of the advanced energy weapons are kinda off limits physics wise. Granted i remember reading a paper a while back about how a uranium pumped portable laser rifle could be manufactured, but to equip about 25 people with them would cost the entire US infantry arms budget for a whole year.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.