[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Defensive Shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Group.jpg (218KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
Group.jpg
218KB, 424x283px
Ok so I kind have my shooting down, I finally learned to not let the trigger go forward completely after my shot and only let it go forward to the first click from the reset, is this the right way to shoot? I have done a lot better while doing this instead of letting off the trigger completely but it results me in keeping the trigger held down while I am getting my sight picture back (pic related group is not mine btw) I don't know if this is the right way or not. And I have sort of learned to breathe right, exhale halfway and hold your breathe, squeeze straight back or whatever. Im shooting at about 7 yards

My question is, do you also do this when you're defensive shooting at close range or when you are rushed to get a target down IE: someone charging you with a knife? Or do you just magdump that shit?

Any other tips are welcome, I'm shooting Glock 19 and SW Shield 9mm
>>
File: FNS-9 7 yards - 15 blue 5 red.jpg (404KB, 1500x1033px) Image search: [Google]
FNS-9 7 yards - 15 blue 5 red.jpg
404KB, 1500x1033px
>>32728710
Every first hand account of a shooting or shootout suggest everyone moves a lot and point shoots.

Good new is, shooting groups and using the sights inherently and passively trains your point shooting, as you learn the same muscle memory just from a different perspective.
>>
>>32728946
I realize I worded that a little too absolute but I think you guys can infer my intent.
>>
>>32728710
The way shooting feels the most convenient, comfortable and safe is the right way. Just because technique A is the best for anon doesn't mean technique B isn't better for you.
I also stop after the first click, that's how I learned it and it works the best for me and most shooting trainers say it's the most accurate way.
>>
>>32728946
>>32729002

Thanks for the info guys
>>
>>32728710
>is this the right way to shoot?

If you mean pulling the trigger, keeping it held back and resetting it when you get your sights alligned, no.

This is a very good video on how to properly manipulate the trigger. People are taught to pin the trigger and it's a very hard habit to break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbCSpcrOsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ahDcWjFZI

It is also imperative to buy a shot timer if you want to see improvements for defensive shooting. Pistoltraining in particular has a lot of good links to drills you can try out.
>>
Are you practicing your draws?

Doesn't matter how well you shoot if you snag the gun while pulling it out.
>>
>>32728710
Watch videos by instructors who train cops or shoot IDPA.

Gripping > trigger control at most defensive ranges. I don't remember the video, but I watched one explaining that one officer after being in a gunfight thought he had been shot in the hand, but he had actually just been gripping his gun so tightly that he pulled a tendon.

Another video, I believe by Jerry Miculek, explains that it looks like competition shooters use low recoil rounds because their guns don't seem to move when they shoot. But actually they're gripping their guns so tightly that they can magdump into a small space without the sights moving much. That's what defensive pistol is all about.
>>
>>32729087
So what are you supposed to do? Let it go all the way foreward and then start to pull it back partially again while you realign the sights?
>>
>>32729133
As soon as the gun recoils, you slowly prep the trigger back to its reset point instead of letting the gun go off, keeping your finger pinned all the way down as the gun recoils THEN start to let the trigger reset as soon as your sights are re-alligned.

This isn't a big issue if you're shooting slowly but it creates a habit that is extremely difficult to break. I've been shooting for five years and I still catch myself doing it sometimes.
>>
In defensive situations you're going to be point shooting (whether intentional or not) at close ranges like >>32728946 said.

Practice drawing from the holster you carry with. An easy way to tell if your draw is on point, and how it'd be in a defensive situation, is to draw your firearm with your eyes closed. Once you're aimed in, open your eyes and see if your sights are aligned properly.
>>
>>32728710
To add, I'm this anon

>>32729087
>>32729203

If you really want to get serious about defensive shooting, look at Chris Baker's videos on his channel. He has a lot of good information to point you to the right direction for getting serious information on defensive shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/luckygunnervideo/videos

Also pistolforum is a good resource for knowledge on defensive shooting and serious usage of pistols.

https://pistol-forum.com/

If you have the money, try to get some formal training. There's loads of good instructors that can accelerate your speed of how fast you learn to shoot and refine your skills such as
>Kyle Defoor
>Pat MacNamara
>Tom Givens
>Ernest Langdon
>Travis Haley
>Jeff Gonzales
>>
>>32729289

So many of those guys take competition shooting and filter it through defense that you might as well start competing yourself. It's probably the best thing to make yourself a better shooter. Where do you think shot timers are from anyway?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.