[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the rampant drug usage majorly effect the performance of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15

File: CharlieDontSurf.jpg (253KB, 1200x889px) Image search: [Google]
CharlieDontSurf.jpg
253KB, 1200x889px
Did the rampant drug usage majorly effect the performance of US troops in Vietnam?
>>
>>32728031
I would imagine if LSD was widespread it pretty drastically effected troop performance.

Weed? Probably not too much, was probably just hippy degenerates being lazy
>>
>>32728031
Not really. Most did it during some form of downtime. Not that that was always the case, but doing it during a firefight and putting guys at risk would get you fragged. Only suicidal assholes would do it anyway.

There's always cycles when shit is going to be slow. Once you've done it you know when it's appropriate.

t. Drank hooch in Iraq and smoked hash in Afghanistan
>>
>>32728079
Story time?
>>
>>32728184
Iraq
>Shitty little company lvl FOB
>BN CO promised us a concert and a comedian was supposed to come perform for us, USO type thing
>We were all allowed to drink two beers during this event
>They cancel it on us, disappointed to say the least
>On post my buddy said he's made hooch in jail before, we should do that
>He didn't have to twist my arm
>Take fruit juice and apples from chow hall, place in water bottle
>Make prison hooch over course of 30 days
>Drink it on a slow post day
>Makes me buzzed like I drank a six pack but then I threw up 2 hours later
>My buddy said if I didn't throw up it would have gotten stronger
Apparently Mexicans (he was) call it pruno

I also tried robo tripping once too, I just felt sick and ended up vomiting once again. Just robbotussin and strawberry milk. Milk was a bad decision..

Afghanistan:
Not much to tell. Local villagers liked me and they'd just give it to me.

THC doesn't effect me that much, I smoked before I joined. I worked in a 4 man team LP/OP usually so I usually did it when it was my sleep shift.
>>
File: 1480882243491.gif (2MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1480882243491.gif
2MB, 500x282px
No, and considering how shitty Vietnam was I don't doubt that DUDE WEED was part of the reason a lot of dudes didn't go AWOL.
>>
>>32728031
Does a bear shit in a catholic?
>>
>>32728031
Probably the only thing stopping massive desertion and/or mutiny honestly.
>>
>>32728031
Navy SEALS did LSD to "feel" the jungle
>>
>>32728031
Contrary to what others might think, I would argue yes. However, that is not because of the intoxication, but rather the overall lack of discipline, training, and standards that went hand in hand with it, and arguably caused the rampant drug abuse in the first place.
>>
File: LSD in Nam.png (99KB, 1084x1613px) Image search: [Google]
LSD in Nam.png
99KB, 1084x1613px
>>32728031
>effect performance
If you're looking to expand your thumb collection look no further.
>>
>>32728076
> I would imagine if LSD was widespread it pretty drastically effected troop performance.

Greatly improved night vision, though.
>>
>>32732826
Idk mang

Last thing I'd want to do on tabs is walk around in the dark in a warsone
>>
Cocaine really helps the human brain adapt to the carnage of the battlefield. It's also amazing.
>>
>>32728031
There was a lot of heroine and people abusing medical morphine. How wide spread? Depends on who you talk to, I don't think junkies would make the best soldiers. Hippies smoking weed? They'll sober up real quick and put the snacks down the second motors start coming in
>>
>>32728031
>Did the rampant drug usage majorly effect the performance of US troops in Vietnam?

No more than it affected the NVA and Viet Cong troops. I talked to a LRRP vet one time that told me they'd find (joint) roaches and bottle caps used to cook heroin at Cong and NVA positions abandoned or overrun.

The problem with Vietnam-era combatants was moral problems due to an indifferent or openly hostile US public, and RVN forces who either ran away or defected.

Kinda sucks when everyone hates you for trying to do your job, especially if you were drafted.
>>
My old man did three tours (brownwater navy) and came back staunchly anti-drug. He drank a little but any kind of drug was off limits, especially weed.

Even weed, you say?

Turns out he had a shipmate who smoked a lot of weed. Dude started out chill as fuck and handled his shit just fine at first. Dude ended up in a straightjacket because he was constantly paranoid and ranting about the devil.

Turns out the weed dude was getting was coming down the trail laced with formaldehyde and god knows what else. Dude was getting wet and didn't even know it

>enemy comes down the trail
>weed comes down the trail
>don't smoke the weed from the enemy kids
>>
>>32733513
>moral problems

*Morale, not moral...
>>
>>32732880
Cocaine in small doses and used in moderation is actually quite beneficial to the average person... but moderation is difficult to maintain with a drug such as cocaine.
>>
>>32733530
>Turns out the weed dude was getting was coming down the trail laced with formaldehyde and god knows what else.

There has been persistent rumors that Nam weed was laced with heroin or opium.
>>
I remember Mckenna talking about a study at the National Institute of Mental Health, that showed that very low doses of Psilocybin can temporarily improve vision. Probably because of pupil dilation.
>>
>>32728031
I'm an oldfag. I went to high school in the late '70's. They had these guys come in from a vets group, so I asked them about drug use.

They didn't care if you got high on your own time, but you were expected to take care of business when you were being shot at.
>>
File: suck.jpg (86KB, 736x805px) Image search: [Google]
suck.jpg
86KB, 736x805px
>>32728031
This is the perfect thread to tell my great uncle's vietnam story.
>>32728031
>Get drafted in 67 when they really started losing people
>become army engineer
>Going out and recovering fucked up and stuck vehicles while getting shot at out in the jungle.
>One night on an overnight mission the men in his platoon were getting high on opium
>Before going to sleep the high as fuck soldiers set up some sort of mines around the camp for the night.
>the next morning multiple soldiers were blown up in the process of trying to recover their mines the next morning.
war is hell
>>
>>32733688
shit
>>
File: vietnamwar4.jpg (378KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vietnamwar4.jpg
378KB, 1920x1080px
>>32733556
>There has been persistent rumors that Nam weed was laced with heroin or opium.

You'll know opium when you smell it and doesn't heroin loose it's potency when put to direct flame?
>>
>>32728031
typical kuffar, no heart, no belief in Allah (swt)

No wonder you do haram shit
>>
>>32728031

Not terribly. Drug usage is pretty extensive even to this day, only difference is it has to be better hidden.
>>
>>32735980
Nobody is smoking dope on patrol in the modern army. even in a place like the Stan where poppys and marijuana grow like weeds.
>>
>>32728031
Weed is laced every single time no matter where you get it be that locally or abroad.
Ive seen people use hair spray to get dat sticky,or sprinkle it with questionable crystals and so on.
Drugs themselves can be harmless but not in the open market.
>>
>>32735996

I knew a bunch of guys that smoked hash while deployed. Never intentionally before a patrol but a few times a guy would be snatched up unexpectedly for one while high as a kite. I did it once at a FOB after we left our PB and were just chilling waiting to rotate back to Camp Bastion and return to the US. It was the highest I had ever been in my life.
>>
>>32735996
Damn shame about mine own eyes being so unreliable I suppose.
>>
>>32733740
Maybe the heroin thats directly combusted won't have an effect, but the stuff directly behind the burning part is probably getting pretty heated and could get you high that way.
>>
>>32735966
fuck off you towel head moon worshiping retard
>>
>>32732854
lol.
>>
As low as 18% of American troops aimed to kill in Vietnam, most purposefully aimed high.

Consider that.
>>
>>32736956
Your numbers are skewed. In WW2 less reportedly aimed to kill. In Vietnam the numbers were much higher, with only 20% or so saying they would not engage to kill.
>>
>>32736956

That's true of every conflict though, most dudes can't shoot to kill unless the enemy is within bayonet-sticking range and poses a clear, immediate threat to their person. Most Infantry combat in the field is a fairly impersonal thing where you're shooting in the general direction of the enemy and only need to fire to suppress. Most of the killing is done with indirect fire like grenade launchers, mortars, artillery or air support unless you can maneuver your MG team to get some enfilading fire.
>>
File: IMG_0778.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0778.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>32735999
Where the fuck do you get your weed? I bet you buy that mexi shwag.
>>
>>32733551
>Cocaine in small doses and used in moderation is actually quite beneficial to the average person... but moderation is difficult to maintain with a drug such as cocaine.

Quite a lot of intoxicating substances are beneficial to a person in moderation.

Alcohol for instance was used by Finnish radar crews for AAA. Couple shots of booze will initially sharpen your sight and hearing, after one hour or effect turns negative. So radar guys were rationed booze, stare radar screen for hour and then cycled to task that doesn't require that much acute senses like ammo handling at AAA battery.
>>
File: 1461777821861.png (695KB, 1194x809px) Image search: [Google]
1461777821861.png
695KB, 1194x809px
>>32738589
Don't forget the ample amounts of amphetamines used by troops in WW2. Finnish LRRPers and sentries would use stuff like Pervitin, sometimes fucking up the dosage, like in one case where during movement a guy took his entire patrol's dose and woke up 100km from where he started, exhausted, dehydrated and lost.
>>
>>32728031
>Did the rampant drug usage majorly effect the performance of US troops in Vietnam?

about the same as vodka did for russians in WW2
>>
File: img32.jpg (36KB, 409x600px) Image search: [Google]
img32.jpg
36KB, 409x600px
>>32739631
>like in one case where during movement a guy took his entire patrol's dose and woke up 100km from where he started, exhausted, dehydrated and lost.

Make almost 500km and week later, naked.

Fun facts about Finns and drugs during WWII.

Heroin was used as general purpose pain killer, much like ibuprofen or aspirin. It might be a blessing that wast majority of Finnish soldiers didn't know that solving that tab on water and shooting it into vein might get you all kinds of wasted. Finland basically bought all the fucking morphine and heroin that was on free market just before WWII, due to having massive stockpiles of opiates, Finland was last European country to ban use of those as every day medicine.

Also Finland bought a fuck ton of amphetamine from Germany after krauts started to notice odd side effects with zonked out soldiers.

Pic related was apparently on total stop and go pills cycle, amphetamines when something happens and barbiturates when there is pause in action, during Tali-Ihantala battle. At times completely out of loop, ordering artillery barrages to own positions, staffers ignored 'em.
>>
>>32728031
If anything it probably helped with moral considering a portion of the soldiers there wanted nothing to do with the damned conflicted.
>>
File: pervitin-is-one-hell-of-a-drug.jpg (45KB, 570x392px) Image search: [Google]
pervitin-is-one-hell-of-a-drug.jpg
45KB, 570x392px
>>
>>32740742
>You are now imagining a tweaked out Simo Haya cycling a bolt action in machine like rhythm into a soviet human wave attack, all while perched in the most immaculately clean barn attic in all of Finland.
>>
>>32740807
>yksi
>kaksi
>kolme
>neljä
>viisi
*reload*
>yksi
>kaksi
>kolme
*round ricochets off windowsill*
>PERKELE!
*runs 3 times around attic with an even number of steps each lap
>neljä
>viisi
>>
>>32740742
>Finland basically bought all the fucking morphine and heroin that was on free market just before WWII
why did they do that
>>
>>32741933

Insufficient stockpiles before war... followed by massive panic buying spree. End result more opiates than was actually needed during war. Opiates really wasn't a big problem in western countries before WWII.
>>
>>32728076
A lot of vets report that "mama-san" would sell them weed laced with various things, like opium.

This was part of the vietcong/NVA plan - they knew Americans have an unquenchable appetite for drugs, so they sell them laced drugs.
>>
>>32741933
to give to those people who had injuries havent you ever been given morphine in a hospital?
>>
>>32742503
Yes, ive gotten morphine once. But getting all the opiates you can find seems like overkill
>>
>>32731057
Sauce
>>
>>32735999
Stop buying weed from niggers
>>
File: 2089209_orig.jpg (54KB, 640x586px) Image search: [Google]
2089209_orig.jpg
54KB, 640x586px
>>32731057
>>
>>32733530
>>32733556
You guys repeat some shit. I mean I'm sure there's alot of normie drug memes getting around but that's patently bullshit. Dipping shit in formaldehyde doesn't get you high, the term "getting wet" or saying something's been dipped in formaldehyde is coon slang for PCP cigarettes.

Not to mention >muh laced with heroin/speed/crack/acid which is a meme I still hear to this day. Why the fuck would a dealer mix two different drugs together and then sell that product for the price of the cheaper one. Lacing shit with other drugs is an excuse people make up for getting fucked up from weed because in reality, marijuana can be a strong drug and can give people strong reactions.

Literally fuddlore tier myths that you uninformed idiots perpetuate. Honestly when I hear people say this shit irl it makes me think of
>.50 BMG will blow your head clean off even if it misses just from the pressure
>>
>>32728031
I'm pretty sure heavy drug use was part of their mission in some cases.
>>
>>32742757

Opiates weren't that big problem in 1900's. For many countries WWI created first wide spread substance abuse issues.

Finland got pretty lightly out from from WWI as Finns had become rather cynical over Russian plans for Finland, complete Russification of country. Only less than 1000 Finnish traitors fought for Russian military, 200 to 300 career officers and around 400 to 500 volunteers for WWI, about 1800 Finns or so fought for Germans. So there weren't that many badly injured potential addicts from WWI. Finnish Civil War was fast and rather brutal affair, the fact that a lot of injured commies were simply shot on the spot instead of wasting medical resources on 'em. That also reduced amount of potential war injured addicts.

Most of now illegal drugs were perfectly legal prior to WWI. As that war made substance abuse an issue in many countries they started to ban things like heroin and cocaine. In Finland WWII was first war with modern medicine and side effects it creates for injured soldiers, like opiate additions in wide scale. There still weren't plain drug hysteria in media on global level like after WWII with Reefer Madness other similar propaganda. General public had far less access to information about drugs and using 'em.

Prior to WWII Finnish military bought like couple tons of heroin, ton or so of morphine and Finnish medical corporations purchased a shit load of unrefined opium to make even more heroin and morphine. That heroin wasn't shit sold on streets now, but medical grade stuff. The typical dose of heroin for headache, flu or random muscle pain, comparable to typical 400mg ibuprofen is about 0.5mg. During WWII Finnish army consumed about 35kg of heroin for mundane reasons each year, that is 400k mobilized soldiers. As result of massive stockpiles of opiates, Finland basically imported none until late 70's or so.
>>
>>32743746
that seems pretty comfy.
>>
>>32728460
Do they drug test you while you're deployed?
>>
>>32733551
Oddly enough cocaine is less addictive than nicotine.
>>
>>32745932
no and they usually don't test you when you get back until you return from your leave.
>>
>>32728031

>In April [1971], for example, members of a Congressional investigating subcommittee reported that 10 to 15% of our troops in Vietnam are now using high-grade heroin, and that drug addiction there is "of epidemic proportions."

>Drug abuse in the Pacific Fleet gives the Navy its worst headaches. To cite one example, a destroyer due to sail from the West Coast last year for the Far East nearly had to postpone deployment when, five days before departure, a ring of some 30 drug users (over 10 percent of the crew) was uncovered.

>Only last year an Air Force major and command pilot for Ambassador Bunker was apprehended at Ton Son Nhut air base outside Saigon with $8 million worth of heroin in his aircraft. The major is now in Leavenworth.

>Early this year, and Air force regular colonel was court-martialed and cashiered for leading his squadron in pot parties, while, at Cam Ranh Air Force Base, 43 members of the base security police squadron were recently swept up in dragnet narcotics raids.

>In 1966, the Navy discharged 170 drug offenders. Three years later (1969), 3,800 were discharged. Last year in 1970, the total jumped to over 5,000.
>>
>>32735999
>smoking cartel weed in 2017
Are you 14 or just terminally retarded?
>>
>>32748179
>taking leave

pussy
>>
File: Opium Destroys Nations.png (618KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
Opium Destroys Nations.png
618KB, 1280x536px
>>32742361
I thought it grew to be a big problem in UK/France after WWI? Though they already had plenty of experience with the evils of Opium from their times in China.
>>
>>32748159
Yeah, but last I checked nicotine doesn't rewrite the pleasure centers of your brain to be cocaine only.
>>
>>32743835
>he doesn't know what a loss leader is
stop right there, hippie scum
>>
>>32728460
>Local villagers liked me and they'd just give it to me.
old friend managed to bring back a fist size ball of hash from afghanistan. he said the officers at the airport we're asking about his purple heart and that managed to distract them enough, otherwise he would have been caught immediately
>>
>>32736956
>most purposefully aimed high
>aimed high
>high
kek
>>
>>32728031
I can't find the cap I'm looking for, but here's the gist
>Private buys LSD sheet before going on patrol
>Hides it under his helmet
>As he sweats, the tabs dissolve and soak into his pores
>At some point, he disappears into the jungle
>Turns up a week later naked, bloody, with only his knife and a necklace of severed ears
>>
>>32735996
>where poppys and marijuana grow like weeds
In this humble /k/omrade's opinion, if someone is caught growing poppies in Afghanistan, we should give them two chances. First time, we burn the fields.. Second time, we burn them. Those towelheads have to be punished for growing that foul shit.
>>
>>32750723
Literally the tenth reply in this thread
>>
>>32750789
Generally, they are being forced to grow it because warlords want to sell it for cash, and they get shot if they don't. And that "foul shit" is the stuff that still serves as the baseline for morphine and codeine, the stuff we give to people so they don't suffer after they were shot or we cut them up.
>>
>>32750789
2 reasons we don't:

Official story: They told us that is how locals earn a living there. If we destroy their crops we'd only help to create an insurgency

Real Story: I believe the US has a vested interest in protecting it for secret profiteering. You'll notice after the Afghanistan invasion heroin use in the US has increased drastically.
>>
>>32733740
>>32736020
You guys know you can smoke heroin, right?
>>
File: IMGP0675.jpg (179KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0675.jpg
179KB, 980x735px
>be me
>be in Iraq 2009 out on a small JSS with about 100 guys
>have to burn trash every night by getting dressed up in our battle rattle, prepping a gun truck, doing radio checks, etc to drive 50 yards to a giant hole where we dump everything then pour gas all over it and stand there and burn it in the night.
>Make great sniper targets standing by a giant fire and truck headlights at night, but thankfully no one ever shot at us
>live in small room with two other guys
>one guy gets package from home that has a 2 liter coke bottle that's mostly whiskey with coke added for color.
>agrees to share with us if we don't tell anyone else
>the night is going slow, no details or anything, figured it be a good time to drink.
>get drunk
>Sgt busts through door and says we have trash burning detail and to go do it "right now"
>get in gear, load weapons, get truck ready, etc all while drunk
>drive like a wildman out to the burn pit
>Sgt wondering why the fuck we are so excited to burn trash
>laugh like wild hyenas while throwing trash into huge fire
>get back to room reeking of gasoline, continue to drink
>>
>>32750871
>Generally, they are being forced to grow it because warlords want to sell it for cash, and they get shot if they don't
But if anyone caught growing it is shot and the crop destroyed, the warlords will have to turn to other sources of income.
>And that "foul shit" is the stuff that still serves as the baseline for morphine and codeine, the stuff we give to people so they don't suffer after they were shot or we cut them up.
I wasn't aware we bought our poppies from Afghan growers. I suppose this makes heroin use okay too?
>>
>>32750403
Yes I know, drug use will also increase underlying mental disorders, while nicotine dampens it. I think something like 80% of schizophrenics smoke because it alleviates the madness.
>>
Alright stop with the LSD posts. You don't get super strength or night vision dumbass. You can see a mountain turn into a big spider, the trees breathing and if you find your wave you'll be happier and feel good about yourself.

Cocain would be a better solder drug but I find it very boring and kinda defiantly not worth the $
>>
>>32735999
Stop buying shitty brown spic weed you unamerican fag.
>>
>>32733513
>The problem with Vietnam-era combatants was moral problems due to an indifferent or openly hostile US public,
IIRC NVA soldiers fought in way fewer engagements per year than Americans. US combat losses for each engagement were of course much lower, but they piled up on top of each other. The commies seemed to have much more respect for the human dimension of the war, and pushed their men to that precise limit without going too far over. If you got disabled they treated you like SHIT though.
>>
>>32735966
fuck off abdul
>>
>>32750893
I 100% believe this to be true. Going through highschool during that period, the amount of opiate related drug use fucking SKYROCKETED. We lived in a pretty nice area too.
>>
>>32738589
Staring at a radar screen with those high radiating old screens on full alert... yeah that would tax anyone.
>>
>>32740771
>this is what people feed hollywood propaganda thinks
>>
File: star-wars-tusken-raider-attack.jpg (15KB, 530x276px) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-tusken-raider-attack.jpg
15KB, 530x276px
>>32750914
I imagine you all standing around the fire pit whooping like pic related for some reason.
>>
>>32750903
or drink it, like a proper gentleman detective
>>
>>32750789
how do you think purdue pharma makes your grandmothers fucking oxy 40s?
>>
>>32750928
stop posting you stupid fuck.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.