[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First 1911

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: DSC_00011.jpg (2MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_00011.jpg
2MB, 3872x2592px
I saw a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec at my local shop and I really liked the look of it.

I have NEVER owned a 1911, so I don't really know much about these pistols.

Is there any advice you guys can share? Also is this Springfield "good quality"?
>>
>>32726181
Skip it

Buy Auto Ordnance instead
>>
>>32726774
Wow thanks for that well thought out informative post friend
>>
>>32726181
Springfield is decent quality for their upper tier handguns. If price point is an issue though, get an RIA and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

IMO stay away from parkerized guns, they have rougher actions and moving parts compared to blued, stainless, and nickel counterparts.

Go with a colt, they are competitive priced with SA. You can get them in blued or stainless, their warranty is better, they keep true to the design(SA has a different firing pin size), and the action and parts will be much more smooth than SA parkerized guns.

Get an SA if youre willing to spend for their upper tier guns with all the high end parts.

As far as colt goes, they make the best base model 1911s. Their upper tier arent that great in comparison to the competition
>>
>>32726867
I understand that you're being a smartass, but I really didn't to say much more. Don't buy Springfield, buy Auto Ordnance.
>>
>>32726181
I have one and I like it. Fit and finish see pretty good. Only rattle when I shake it is up near the dust cover, and it's only slight. I've fed it nothing but Winchester White Box and never had a problem, it's also my first 1911. if you want one, go to youtube first and watch a few vids on disassembly and reassembly, it's no where as easy as a modern pistol. If you don't know what you are doing it will be tough and you might leave a idiot scratch on the frame. I like the feel and the recoil is perfectly manageable. As is typical there are a few MIM parts like the hammer. I also like the straight pull trigger.
Honestly though I wish now that I had bought a "higher end" 1911. They had the MilSpec Range Officer when I was at the shop and I wish I had gotten that. If you do get a 1911, get one that has front strap checkering so it doesn't slide around when you fire, and one with something other than the simple blade sights like the Mils Spec basic. There is no dove tail under the front sight so upgrading isn't really a option. The controls are ok, I might have liked extended safety and slide stop levers.
>>
>>32727705
forgot to add, if you buy one, ditch the 7 round mags and get Wilson Combat 8 rd mags.
>>
>Also is this Springfield "good quality"?

They cost more than they should due to the branding. Mil-Specs were made with Brazilian forgings up until a few years ago, and their current forgings are from an unknown source that's likely not any better. They're basically $400 guns masquerading as $600 guns.

>okay then what would a better option have been?

You can buy a new series 80 Colt for ~$650.
>>
File: HPIM2866.jpg (2MB, 3214x2167px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM2866.jpg
2MB, 3214x2167px
Have a SA. Have an AO. Like AO better.
>>
File: IMG_20161223_133037.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161223_133037.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>32726181
Here's mine. It came with a full length guide rod and I put a GI recoil system in. The full length guide rods are a joke. Not feild friendly at all. No accuracy increase.

Mechanically sound, very accurate, and reliable. It will eat any HP ammo.
>>
>>32726181
Better off getting a Colt
>>
File: Colt Lightweight Commander.png (106KB, 450x325px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Lightweight Commander.png
106KB, 450x325px
I'm in the Colt camp. SAs are not quite made to the original specs so you have to find stuff for SAs rather than every other non-railed 1911
>>
>>32726181
Springfield are ok.
If price is a serious object, RIA 1911s are all pretty adequate, especially given that a GI style one will be under $400

>>32727117
>colt
>competitively priced
Good joke.

>>32727705
>Only rattle when I shake it is up near the dust cover, and it's only slight.
Unless we're talking tight raceguns, some rattle is just healthy on a service pistol, original A1 pistols were rattly and that was fine.

>idiot scratch
Unless it's a real pretty one like a Dan Wesson or something, I don't think that's too much of a concern, as long as you don't do a 360 degree idiot scratch it probably won't be too unsightly. It's easy to avoid by just plain punching it out straight from the other side.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.