[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quiet firearms advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6280.jpg (157KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6280.jpg
157KB, 1080x1349px
What are some very quiet handguns that are perfect to use in a situation of self defense (with and without suppressor)? As someone who has never even held a firearm before I have no knowledge of firearms whatsoever, except for the fact that Hollywood is bs which is why I'm asking the question here, I don't like loud firearms so in case of self-defense (for example if someone were to advance at you with a knife during a home invasion) I don't want to end up blasting my ears off (maybe a specific earplug brand recommendation regarding firearms as well?), hence the request for something quiet.

Thank you!
>>
>>32724768
Are you willing to buy a hearing safe suppressor for your handgun? Just buy electronic ear pro and keep it next to the gun.
>>
It's an explosion. That's all a gun is. A little explosion that pushes a piece of metal out of a tube. Shit's loud.
Suppressors don't help nearly as much as you might think unless they're fuckhuge and the gun was built around them.The NFA soft ban on suppressors has stifled the development of these firearms for civilians.
Get some plugs, muffs, whatever. They make all sorts of them.
>>
>>32724768
>I don't like loud firearms
wtf are you on.
>>
>>32724825
>Suppressors don't help nearly as much as you might think unless they're fuckhuge and the gun was built around them.
Suppressors help a ton, i.e., making 165dB reports into hearing safe thumps. Is it like the movies? Mostly no, but hearing safe is hearing safe.
>>
you want a knife for what your trying to do

sage
>>
>>32724768
>I don't like loud firearms

Then may I suggest a pellet gun? Because literally all guns are loud. Except for internally suppressed.
>>
>>32724957
>Except for internally suppressed.
What are you even trying to say here?
>>
>>32725061
Integrally suppressed is the proper term. Basically the whole barrel is a can.
>>
>>32725074
And you think integrally suppressed firearms are not loud? Damn I hate noguns.
>>
>>32724768
captive piston cartridges, good luck finding any though
>>
File: 1420721366811.jpg (43KB, 1200x387px) Image search: [Google]
1420721366811.jpg
43KB, 1200x387px
>>32725139
75 decibels ain't that loud you faggot.
>>
>>32724768
You need a suppressor for two reasons:
>to suppress the sound from making you temporarily deaf due to loud echoes bouncing around in confined spaces like rooms and corridoors.
>to suppress the muzzle flash from making you temporarily blind in dark

In combat you need the suppressor as an flash suppressor. Noise doesn't matter there that much.

A big muzzle flash obviously draws attention, especially when you shoot from shadowy concealment where you are naturally at first drawn into.
>you like to hide in the shadows, and then you start making bigass muzzle flashes in there.

A suppressor reduces that kind of signature into a small stealthy blink. It's not the noise you make, it's all about are you actually spotted. And that you are about to find out very soon.
>>
>>32725173
>In combat you need the suppressor as an flash suppressor. Noise doesn't matter there that much.
What a stupid statement.
>>
This piece of shit is not and has never been 75dB.
>>
>>32725173
And even so, static cover in a firefight will eventually draw in the fire. Shoot and move.
>>
>>32724768
I'm exactly as autistic as you in this regard that I don't want to blow my ears out if some fuck decides to break in and I somehow manage to successfully neutralize him.

"Hearing safe" is some meme industry's standard for impulse sound as the metric for being "safe" which is at 140db. Barely under 140db is still loud as fuck as an impulse noise indoors, but it is less likely to cause permanent damage than something in the 150s or 160s.

Suppressors (good ones) for pistols typically make the gun go from 150-160db to 120-130 db, and completely changes the tone of the sound signature to be a more bass/low tone that is way easier to tolerate than a high shrill boom.
each 10db is a 2x reduction/increase in noise. so 160db to 130db is 8x less noise.
130db in a suppressor will still be loud as shit compared to hollywood, but you won't suffer hearing loss if you only fire like 50 rounds through it each day.

The other problem you have with trying to not blast your ears out in case a home invasion is the following: You have a super tacticool suppressed gun that is only 124db loud, but the invaders have niggery sawed off shotguns that are 165db loud. Better hope they don't fuck your hearing up for you

but personally in the same situation you're having I decided to get two meme subsonic suppressable guns. They both are going to work with a Rugged Obsidian 45, with the main host as an FNX-45, and also I'll try it out on a 300blk rifle just to be gay.

I'm only 4months into waiting for my stamps back, but they'll be tacticool when they get approved.
>>
>>32725628
>static cover in a firefight

The duration of your "static cover" during an engagement is an interesting topic to think about, isn't it.

In every other sense, yes, of course. That's the whole idea of not getting spotted and getting hit in the first place.

Guys get tired though, IRL, also it takes time to come up with a new plan, and so on. There is sometimes a reason to keep the positions while not giving away your personal position that easily.
>>
>>32725589
>What a stupid statement.

You really have no real life military combat experience, do you?
>>
>>32725747
it's because "Noise doesn't matter there that much" contradicts the line of thinking that suppressors are ONLY used for super tacticool spec-ops COD MW2 top secret super silent operations.
i'm not military at all but i'm assuming that the situations where you're trying to be as quiet as possible in combat are extremely limited and reserved to the special forces? and that's why noise won't matter that much?
>>
>>32725786
>and that's why noise won't matter that much?

Noise, even unsuppressed noise doesn't matter in cases where maybe tens of guys on both sides are engaging each other. I doesn't. It really does not.

You can't tell anything else by just hearing gunshots and getting in splashes but that someone is shooting at you. Those echoes are bouncing all around you and genuinely not providing any target information.

You have to visually spot the target to start effectively engage him. Of course.

At the same time you want to provide as little as much of information on your position. There are established tricks to it how to hide as much as possible by using terrain to both cover and conceal yourself.

I don't want to be an asshole of course. But I kinda thought (because I have seen it) these topics have been discussed here at /k/ many times over.
>>
>>32725705
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKF14f2Cvw
>>
>>32726005
Did you have a point or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>32725747
I want to know why you think the people who can get suppressors for use in the military aren't concerned about the #1 reason to have a suppressor. You do know flash suppressors exist, right? If that's all you want to do you don't have to get a suppressor.
>>
>>32726005
>>32726195

Not the poster, but .22lr aside, the most surprising thing to me in that video was that a factory rated ammo may behave like that with some guns.

>In my nightmares, the future marketing handle will be optimized ammo for specific guns, and therefore be all about marrying a major ammo manufacturer with a major firearms manufacturer.

Let this never ever happen.
>>
>>32724768
if you want to spenda fuckton, there's the maxim 9 coming out soon, shoots any generic 9mm at hearing-safe levels but costs $1500
>>
>>32726501

Ok.

I don't care what you think. I don't want to change you or your opinions about flash suppressors.

I'm here just to tell to OP what's my opinion because he/she asked it from the community. The dialogue with you was just an information exchange.

I only think about what I know as a combat veteran who's been through less than a hundred of engagements. Nowadays I have been a civilian for years. My reply to OP was from a civilian point of view With a note that there are benefits to suppress the flash as well.

Are we good?
>>
>>32726740
No, your wall of text does not explain anything about why you think Special Forces or whoever are mounting sound suppressors on their guns just to suppress flash.
>>
>>32725139
If you define "not loud" as "won't permanently damage your hearing" then yes
>>
>>32726758
?

My first post, here. Read it. Please.
>>32725173
>>
>>32726958
It still doesn't explain it, sorry dude. Is English not your first language?
>>
>>32727441
I must admit at first I thought you just need a friend to talk to.

But Damn. You must be one of those ones who just can't take it. No matter what.

/k/ is famous of your kind. Never met one in person before.
>>
>>32727594
Incoherent.
>>
>>32726651
Will it be possible/safe to fire the Maxim 9 without protection?
>>
>>32729030
The short Maxim 9 is hearing safe with subsonic ammunition and the large one is hearing safe even with +P (maybe +P+, don't remember).
>>
>>32724768
The most quiet practical firearm is the Wellrod, which can achieve Hollywood-tier noise levels. However, the rubber inside the gun must be replaced after 10 shots or the gun will be loud again.
>>
>>32724768
I shot a .38 special in the house and the person outside didn't hear it. Is that quiet enough for you?
>>
>>32725139
not loud = hearing safe = anything <140dB(impulse noise)

For constant noise it's not safe until mid-80's dB.
>>
File: noise levels.png (21KB, 380x546px) Image search: [Google]
noise levels.png
21KB, 380x546px
>>
I recommend either 9 or fuddy five with (if you're cheap) a homemade suppressor (tax stamped of course ;^]) or buy one if you want.

Cheap and you can find lots of ammo that will be subsonic out of your short barrel, if you get a sub you have to be more specific.

Your concerns are very rational though many people don't think about such things or realize just how loud and damaging guns are.

You could also keep electronic muffs next to your HD guns but for me I'd rather not have to stick them on in the event I needed to use my firearm.
>>
>>32726004
The US military is investigating whether giving everyone suppressors would improve battlefield communications.
>>
>>32730868
They're called wipes and they're not required for the suppressor to work but they do make a significant difference.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.