[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What a waste

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

600 bux down the shitter. All just to hear old ass grouchy fags compare antennas like they were comparing dick size.

Don't waste your money fellas...
>>
spoiler: they were actually comparing their dicks
>>
Yeah, ham culture is cancer; like little fucking kids trying to get other people prosecuted and becoming butthurt if you don't adhere to their made up rules/culture.

Just get licensed and carry a handheld radio for improved short range communications over those gay frs/gmrs ones. Then use their autistic rules against them and hog their own repeaters when you need to. Cite FCC rules about free usage of airwaves if they whine about it.
>>
>>32713384
Tell me more about HAM radio culture. Why is it shit?
>>
>>32713393
I keep hearing how Ham culture is shit, but I'm a licensed operator and don't hear any of this shitty culture everyone keeps bitching about.

On my local repeaters there is lots of talk about guns, radio gear, travel -- fun stuff. I think the people that bitch have shitty attitudes so they get shitty attitudes back.

Don't trust the autists. Buy a baofeng and listen to your local repeaters. Make up your own mind and get a license if you want to talk.
>>
>>32713393

It's almost entirely older people using it as a hobby. It's also nearly entirely (again, nearly, not entirely) obsolete in this day and age of more reliable infrastructure and connectivity. As they are largely retarded, many of them support the barriers to entry of their hobby when about the only qualification needed is knowing what bands not to intrude on.

The experience of using a Ham radio used to be fairly novel- communication wirelessly at long distances, free, and in a chat setting. Now for casual use you can get a much more entertaining and fulfilling time out of the Internet.

A lot of hams also labor under the delusion that they will facilitate disaster response or whatever in their area by talking to the five other active hams in their county.

A mix of resistance and fear of their hobby fading away, as it is likely to do in the near future, leads to some hams acting like they do. I had a ham license when I was a kid- a guy from my church flew recreationally and he taught me how and I did the exam or whatever. I then proceeded to buy one radio setup and never use it again because by then cell phones and the Internet existed.

If it isn't supplementary to a hobby you already have, it's (mostly) worthless.
>>
>>32713451
>obsolete in this day and age of more reliable infrastructure and connectivity
Yeah, you know... until that infrastructure goes down during a disaster
>>
>>32713472

Yes, our gallant ham radio operators will then be there to save the day by running all emergency services. Because having a ham license gives you any sort of input to that.

In any sort of state of emergency you'll have the same old geezers sitting around talking on their ham about how they are snowed in, where the ones actually qualified to render any sort of assistance were already volunteer firemen or whatever anyway.
>>
>>32713451
>A lot of hams also labor under the delusion that they will facilitate disaster response or whatever in their area by talking to the five other active hams in their county.

No, but having the capability to communicate to the outside world or receive NOAA updates or perhaps even get in touch with emergency responders and officials may be crucial depending on the circumstances. As long as they are prepared all around, there's nothing wrong with it. If you're fixated on HAM radio as your sole survival technique, you're no better off than people who buy guns but don't have emergency supplies and rations.

That said, it's important to understand your area. In my area, emergency responders and emergency management agencies all run on an 800 MHz motorola truncated network so you're SOL there with a basic set up.

Still, it's not bad just to have in case. I mean, this is /k/ for crying out loud. 99.9% of us will never have to use our carry gun, but we still carry anyway just in case, right?

The last thing I'll say is that I hope these people buying it for disaster/emergency scenarios are at least going through CERT and maybe even Red Cross programs like shelter management training.
>>
>>32713497
No, that isn't the point of communication during a disaster or emergency scenario like that. Especially if you are not properly trained or certified.
>>
>>32713498

The problem is that your average Ham has no qualifications and is better off just shutting up instead of sitting up the airwaves during a """disaster""". If they have any sort of management training or qualification, the ham would be supplemental at best.
>>
>>32713513
It doesn't matter how supplemental they may be if they can still help or assist.

And while you don't necessarily need to be on there to assist, one can be on there to call out for help or assistance or even to listen to what is going on. Having the ability to tune in to radio frequencies, even FM radio frequencies for emergency updates and reports can be crucial.

Look, I'm not trying to say they are needed, but there's no harm in it. Most emergency management agencies welcome public response and participation so long as they aren't shitting things up and getting in the way or clogging up the system.

Like I said, the way you are talking about them is no different than people telling you that you don't need to own or carry a gun.
>>
>>32713472
Yeah im sure all 3 retired old men who need to take pills to stay alive will come to the rescue of everyone else
>>
>>32713537
Perhaps, just maybe, they don't hold these savior complexes that you are attributing to them
>>
>>32713536

No, the way I am talking about them is more saying that I don't think some dude with a CHL needs to run into a building a building, trying to take down an active shooter before the swat team arrives. As I mentioned the ham is (mostly) useless and (nearly) obsolete. I am sure there are cases of hams helping people out. But it is mostly a false delusion due to how rare actually active hams are now and the fact that even in the sorts of disasters the vast majority of the country is prone to (pretty much anything short of a very powerful hurricane, in which case they can't do shit anyway), you will still have other means of communication.

It is at BEST supplemental.
>>
>>32713472
This is why everyone hates you.
>>
>>32713537
The way you wrote it makes it out as if these three infertile old people are gonna be the ones to repopulate the earth almost
>>
>>32713588
Meant for
>>32713562
>>
>>32713562

I don't think it's a savior complex, more like "what are a handful of grumpy 55 year old retirees that spend all day chatting with a handful of other 55 year old retirees and building antennas going to do that some guy with a baofeng in emergency situations couldn't and wouldn't do anyway".

If you go to any ham enthusiast site one of the primary sells on why you should be a ham is to help communicate during disasters. Clearly it is a widespread belief that they will do... something.

I haven't been to a ham radio meet up since probably the late 90s but the stereotypes as to the type of people there are pretty much spot on. None were ever rude to me or anything before I was licensed but they weren't exactly doing it for anything other than a hobby either. Which is cool and fine, it's just a hobby on the way out because it's mostly obsolete.

I haven't owned any ham equipment in nearly 20 years. Is my license still even valid? I probably got it in 96 or 97.
>>
>>32713580
>>32713585
>>32713588
As someone who is studying Emergency Management, I've yet to have a professor (who all work in the field) ever complain about citizen communication or volunteers (beyond NGO's like militias, for example). In fact, the importance of communication to and with the public is stressed over and over.
>>
>>32713623
I guess the way I see it is, let them play pretend, it's no different than the people here buying PC's and chest rigs, bump helmets, and all that fun stuff.

As long as they aren't getting in the way, the more people that emergency responders and communicators are able to reach out to, the better off everyone is. So long as they aren't mucking up communications.
>>
>>32713630

Yes, I am sure that one guy with a ham radio will be getting the message to the masses.

Exactly what is your average ham operator going to do in a situation where power is out, cell phones are out, transportation is limited, and telephone lines are inoperable?

What is that guy going to do or receive that every person with an FM radio and some batteries or a police scanner can't already do?

More importantly, what is he going to do that some guy with a cheap ass baofeng can't do without a license? The usefulness of a license nowadays is entirely limited to teaching people what bands to not broadcast on if you aren't building repeaters or whatever.
>>
>>32713630
>Emergency Management
Not a real degree
>a professor (who all work in the field)
This is not a good thing.

Yeah, you can order hotpocket deliveries but your equipment CANNOT replace infrastructure in any useful manner in case of an actual emergency.

How long can your backup generator run?

If shit actually goes down, all important communication will be handled by the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-6_Mercury
>>
>>32713702
>Not a real degree
Yes, it is.
>This is not a good thing.
Yes, it is. Would you want professors teaching you something who have absolutely no real world experience in a field that requires actual real world experience.
>>
>>32713251
That's like a 200 dollar radio AT MOST.
>>
>>32713746
>Yes, it is.
Yup, keep riding that community college dick

>Would you want professors teaching you something who have absolutely no real world experience
All of my professors have PHDs from respectable schools and do research. They don't have to work side jobs. Note that, because I am getting an actual degree, research denotes real world experience.
>>
>>32713792
>Community college
No, it's a 4 year degree and is required for most Emergency Management positions and is used to get a higher paying job within NGO's, Federal LE, and DHS.

I'm double majoring in Emergency Management and Philosophy and a minor in Public Security.

Actually every single one of my professors has their masters or PhD. And the only way to prepare you for the field is to actually have experience in the field.

Research =/= real world experience, unless your career will simply be doing research and remaining in academia.
>>
>>32713251
You'll understand when you get old enough to have at least one ex-wife.
>>
>>32713451
Wanna be a barber? You have to learn the bones of the body to get your license. Been that way since ships carried a barber-surgeon. Obsolete? Sure. But everyone else had to do it, and YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.
>>
>>32713819
>No, it's a 4 year degree
>I'm double majoring in Emergency Management and Philosophy

You're just making this worse for yourself.

>has their masters or PhD
>or PHD
>You are actually learning from someone without a doctorate
Hoooooooooly shit

It would be better if it was a community college, you better be paying less than 20k a year for this shit.

>>32713843
>But everyone else had to do it, and YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.
>Back in my day up the hill both ways in the snow hurr durr fuck progress

Nice.
>>
>>32713855
Jesus Christ you're a faggot
>>
>>32713855
you realize that at this point you are literally being willfully ignorant, right?
>>
>>32713892
Let him be, you'll just entrench him in his own confirmation bias even further
>>
>>32713251
Just pop on the radio and say, "Baofeng," and just sit back for the hilarity.
>>
>>32713862
If you don't want to made fun of, don't start your posts with shit like this
>As someone who is studying Emergency Management

Also, feel free to tell me how research somehow exists in a parallel plane of reality that disqualifies it from being "real world experience"

That computer you're shitposting on? All the science behind it was developed and refined a laboratory setting.

>>32713899
Putting that Philosophy degree to good use I see.
>>
>>32713916
>doesn't know the difference between psychology and philosophy
>claims to be a man of academia
>>
>>32713472
The infrastructure that supplies electricity to your radios?
>>
>>32713843

Equating an actual trade to talking on a radio handset makes you look like a fucking retard.

Gun owners should have licenses too hurrdurrrr

>>32713819

Not really meaning any disrespect but /k/ is probably an older board on average and many of us have worked with some form of emergency response, disaster relief, or whatever. It does sort of make you sound silly to talk from the perspective of being a student as if that places you in any sort of informed position. It's like having my 1L cousin at a third tier law school tell me about how I violate people's rights every day. I wouldn't even mention being a student, just say that you have worked with many people experienced in emergency management and they all invite community aid. Which I agree with, but I personally can't think of any time or place in my area where a ham radio operators could or has made a difference. Maybe before cell phones, when land line service was out.
>>
File: 1431331335801.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1431331335801.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>32713925
Considering neither of those even approach real science, yep.

>inb4 a bunch of bullshit
PAPERS WRITTEN ABOUT NON-REPEATABLE STUDIES ARE NOT WORTH THE MEMORY THEY ARE STORED ON.
>>
>>32713928

Some run on batteries or on a generator, the same for anyone with a cell phone, FM radio, or TV with an antenna so that they can also receive notifications and information about the end of the world scenario around them but without the use of specialized equipment
>>
>>32713916
But they still had to actually build and use one.

I go through this with the fucking Mexicans at work all the time. Just because you watched it done a hundred times doesn't mean dick. Until you've done it at least once, you've never done it.
>>
>>32713930
I wasn't trying to make a point saying that HAM operators are crucial to Emergency Management, but that those who are HAM operators do at least have something they can provide as long as they are trained and capable and aren't douche bag militia types or those who have savior complexes.

In emergency managment, I'm on the FEMA route in disaster preparedness and response. In the end I'll leave with a degree ready for a good paying job, a minor in public security, and I don't know how many different FEMA and DHS certificates I'll actually have when I graduate. Not to mention internships, actual government exercises I'll get to participate in, and learn from people who do have their masters or doctorates who then have in turn worked in these situations and events we are being trained to prepare for.

And honestly, if the other anon cannot see the importance of that. So be it. I've already got a BA in Business Admin and I'm in my late 20's but decided I wanted a career change so I went back to school and get out of the business world.

>>32713937
>psychology
>not real science
>>
So I can buy one and just listen right? I only need a license to transmit? Is there anything I couldn't listen to?
>>
>>32713937
Tbqh, psychology is the hardest of the soft sciences
>>
>>32713965
>And honestly, if the other anon cannot see the importance of that. So be it.
I mean, you'll have a job, not exactly impressive but okay, good for you.
>I've already got a BA in Business Admin and I'm in my late 20's but decided I wanted a career change so I went back to school and get out of the business world.

Couldn't hack it huh?

>>32713965
>psychology
>not real science
Yep, just greentext what I said, that'll show me.

>>32713961
>Just because you watched it done a hundred times doesn't mean dick. Until you've done it at least once, you've never done it.
Do you know what a "laboratory" is?
>>
>>32714002
Pseudoscience is a more apt term. I'll stop short of calling it junk science.
>>
>>32713965

> HAM operators do at least have something they can provide

Like what? "Communication"? Again, in a situation where shit is so upside down that the only means to communicate is your weird neighbor with a Ham, what are they going to do?

Run to their weird neighbor and have him call an ambulance via Ham? While supposedly possible, if they can get an ambulance to you, in the time that got worked out you probably could have done it yourself.

I can think of theoretical situations a ham COULD be helpful for disaster relief but they would require everything else be so unbelievably fubar in so many ways, yet just functional enough that a ham could get on whatever band emergency response monitors to provide aid and somehow have it matter.
>>
>>32713580
Did you even read his post lol
>>
>>32713767

That's why he is so butthurt.
>>
>>32714035

Do you even think hams will actually provide valuable emergency services without specialized training lol
>>
>>32714010
>not exactly impressive
That's fine, I'm not looking to impress anyone. I just want something different and I want to help

>Couldn't crack it
What are you talking about? I'm still in the business world working and putting myself through classes in the evening. Pay is good, I just don't want this to be what I do for the rest of my life.

Also Emergency Management is a field where practical experience is just as important as research and that research actually requires you to be in the field, not just studying academic journals.

>>32714018
Calling the study of psychology junk science may have been fair 100 years ago, but the rise of neuropsychology, psychobiology, phsyiological psychology, and developmental psychology are not junk sciences.

All you're doing is entrenching yourself further into your wilful ignorance.
>>
>>32714033
Its happened before where isolated mountain towns had all their contact with the outside cut off, including transportation routs, due to disasters. Supplies had to be airdropped in and HAMs were the only means of communicating what was going on and what they needed.

If it had a high probability of being needed it wouldnt be essentially a hobby, there would be official funded stations all over the place, but as is it provides a nice last ditch safety net and does come in handy sometimes so acting like its silly if people enjoy doing it is silly.
>>
STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE
>>
File: 1404220666540s.jpg (3KB, 125x115px) Image search: [Google]
1404220666540s.jpg
3KB, 125x115px
>>32714068
>neuropsychology
Cite one repeatable study
>psychobiology
So you need to drag biology into your shitshow to even justify it's existence?
>phsyiological psychology
So what, neuroscience with bullshit tacked on? Fantastic
>developmental psychology
Now you're just fucking with me.

If the results are not repeatable, it is not science. Pretty clear cut shit folks.
>>
>>32714106
What is your major?
>>
>>32714116
EE, although I started out in CS and briefly did a spot of metallurgy.
>>
>>32713916
actually there are several fields where experience is worth more than theory.

Medicine is a good one. My mother (doctor) theoretically knows how to do open heart surgery (she went on a cardiac rotation like everyone else). But despite all the videos and in-person observation, she's never actually done it, and wouldnt try to unless the situation was dire. Lots of doctors have the same line of thinking; stick to what you know and do regularly.

Psychology is similar too. PhD psychs are very different from PsyD psychs in how they approach their job. PhDs may not even be licensed to actually practice on people.

engineering is an even better example. Things may work "on paper" only to go to shit once put in the real world; this can be seen in all engineering, because institutionalized knowledge often doesnt make it into the text books. Its why China wanted a smaller aircraft carrier and build a test catapult before they built a big one- just because the blue prints say it "should" work doesnt mean it actually will. Just because the rocket "should" reach space doesnt mean it will.

Until you do it, you've never done it.>>32713961
this guy gets it.
>>
>>32714106
i can cite repeatable studies

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3270115/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12621648

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25449392

all of those are repetitions and expansions on the same premise, that animals will become sensitized to maternal separation and rapidly enter depressive states.

theres an example.
>>
>>32714301
Well, great job anon, you've defended your field of study quite well.

You can make guinea pigs sad, fucking groundbreaking stuff right there.

Can you explain the mechanism behind why that happens? No? Fucking useless, this is the equivalent of a physicist dropping a pencil over and over and going "Fucking gravity right? Gibs more grant money"

Now, if he had actually explained why two particles with mass attract each other, he would be getting the nobel prize. Do you see what I'm getting at?
>>
>>32714191
So how much do you charge to change my light bulb? Really only thing an EE is good for.
>>
>>32714191
>EE
I'm so sorry, you do know that field is full, right?
>>
File: 1484836499334.png (101KB, 402x333px) Image search: [Google]
1484836499334.png
101KB, 402x333px
>>32714388
Not for long.

But honestly, I've worked a shitload of internships, I've already been offered jobs, I just want to finish my masters before I start working.
>>
>>32714351
yes, and its not my study.

However, it DOES have relevant merits with regards to abusive situations and animal housing, particularly with depression that is a very common health problem. the suppression of the stress is itself fairly notable.

as a side note, not all fields get Nobel Prizes.

>get proven wrong
>shift goal posts
>>
>>32714351
oh and yes, they do explain the chemical mechanisms and what nuclei are being interacted with during various experiments.
>>
>>32714428
Fantastic, so they prevented multiple guinea pigs from experiencing negative effects from maternal separation right? Since they CLEARLY understand the mechanism behind it.

Protip: no they didn't, and no they don't
>>
>>32714474
if you dont understand the neuroscience aspects discussed i cant help you.

this is how "discovery" works anon. You do a thing, look at what happened, and work backwards, narrowing it down based on the past works of others on similar things. Thats what happened here. If they already knew 100% about it, there wouldnt be a reason to do the experiments in the first place. the research proposes a mechanism by which the effect happens, they test it, and report the results, which narrows down the likely vs unlikely mechanism.

Thats called research. its commonly done in pharmacology and organic chemistry, and other places
>>
>>32714474
and yes, they DID do it.
>>
>>32713767
It was merely an example...

Between a base radio / antenna and a mobile rig I've spent over 6 bills
>>
>>32715317
so you're saying you have poor impulse control and make bad spending decisions.
>>
OP here.

I'm not complaining about cost. It's that fact that there isn't anyone worth talking to. Just a bunch of 65yo bitter fuddy duddies...
>>
>>32715346
Then make a thread on DIY or some shit, find other anons that have radios, and talk with them.

I was only ever really into the equipment aspect of it, actually talking over it is kind of a waste of time because of the whole internet thing.
>>
>>32715346
What bands? It's all about the Area if you're on VHF and up, and it's a lot more fun if you're a boring nerd who's into making their own electronics and antennas and shit. I personally like to take my HT with me when I hike, and listen to all the traffic for hundreds of miles around. For the boring electronics part, people make weather stations, homemade radars, long range computer networks, and all sorts of shit just because they can.

-t. Boring nerd
>>
>>32717171
100% this, if you're not a pixie wrangler it's not that much fun if you just want to use them.

I'm the same way with guns actually, well, almost. First thing I do whenever I get a new gun is take it apart, look at how it was machined, check tolerances with calipers, in general fuck around with it.

The difference is that "using" guns is super fun, while "using" radio is amusing at best

also czeched.
>>
>>32713251
Nigga,talking to people and exchanging data over extremely long distances is where the fun is, and 99% of it is of HF.
VHF and UHF is boring, especially in big cities.

Get HF rig, a good computer and a soundcard interface and download software called "fldigi".

btw despite what old fart hams tell you nobody cares about callsigns
I see all kinds of data exchange happening on all bands 24 hours a day and most of it is either encrypted or random data, even though it's technically illegal.
>>
>>32713451
so just lurk until you're 73

nothing new
>>
>>32713843
>one field does something outdated and retarded, so it's ok for other fields to do things outdated and retarded
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.