[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you miss the days when guns were individually handcrafted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: 1471504743415.jpg (306KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471504743415.jpg
306KB, 800x1200px
Do you miss the days when guns were individually handcrafted and decorated?
>>
>>32712089
Hell to the no.
I think the ones that exist are beautiful pieces of art, but it'd make acquiring an arsenal very difficult, and we'd have far worse weapons on top of that since hand crafting leads to shit unless done by very competent, and likely well paid, people.
>>
>>32712089
no
>>32712140
this+ the lack of reliable replacement parts
>>
>today's fun factory
puts out ungodly amounts of precisely built guns with proven designs in a year, per worker
>hand crafted
per worker, barely any guns are made and are hyper expensive, and even less are "actually" beautiful art piece guns, just "i hope it works" tier
>>
What if factory produced guns were all decorated
>>
>>32712211
>factory produced guns were all decorated
It's not exactly artistic and special feeling if there's 1000 identical guns being turned out a year. Even if they are pretty.
>>
>>32712233
doesnt matter if there are 1000 identical guns out there if i never see them
>>
>>32712089

considering I wasn't born when handcrafted guns were the main option, no, I don't miss it.
>>
I want Kurumi to use her butt to time travel all over my face
>>
>>32712089
The 1800s? I wasn't alive then
>>
>>32712089

Neither of us were alive anon
>>
>>32712497
says you
>>
>>32712089
>Don't you miss when guns were terribly inaccurate, had no readily available replacement parts, and were so expensive that the ordinary man could only buy one or two shit-together bargain bin tier garbage rods in his entire life?
>>
>>32712582
>terribly inaccurate
but that's wrong
>>
I don't know about you fags, but I individually handcrafted all my guns.
>>
>>32712582
>Napoleonic armies had a 0.125-0.3% combat hit rate in combat firing at full, standing infantry formations at ranges from 50-100 meters.
>A test at 70 meters on perfect, ideal range conditions only yielded a 60% hit rate against a 90m wide, 2m tall target.
>At 200m, only 5% of shots under perfect range conditions could hit the 90m wide target
>British Cavalry carbines in the revolutionary were expected to have a 33% hit rate on a man sized target at 100 yards if fired from bench rest.
>This is not terribly inaccurate
>>
>>32712631
Meant for >>32712594
>>
>>32712631
>muskets
>>
>>32712639
>Handcrafted guns
>Not muskets

Even civil war era rifles were made on assembly lines with a mind towards interchangeability.
>>
>>32712647
senpai i was talking that muskets, wether handcrafted or mass manufactured, will always be shit, because they're fucking muskets
>>
>>32712647
>why the fuck is a smoothbore rifle with god-awful manufacturing conditions so shit
they had no tolerances, putting the INSAS to shame
>>
>>32712089

I find something very charming about weapons crafted that way.
>>
>>32712298
>her
>>
You could just go to Westley Richards or Holland and Holland if you want a gun like that.
Or just send the guns you have over to be engraved by someone who knows the trade.
>>
File: 2017-01-20 08.43.39.jpg (710KB, 1026x722px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-20 08.43.39.jpg
710KB, 1026x722px
>Those days have past
>>
>>32712669
A smoothbore firearm will of course always have accuracy issues. Firing spherical bullets can make that even worse, since it'll start rolling and end up being pulled in some random direction by the Magnus force. (A slight bend in the barrel could then improve accuracy by forcing the bullet to roll along a certain axis, ensuring that the Magnus force pulls the same way every time, though this results in a somewhat more complex bullet path).

With black powder producing quite a lot of smoke, it seems soldiers of the black powder era (infantry in particular) may not always have been able to see the enemy at all. This reduces the importance of accuracy a great deal. And even when the enemy is visible, the individual soldier may not have the ability or peace of mind to aim all that well regardless, if he's even trying to in the first place.

So with accuracy being perhaps somewhat secondary, many military forces choose to use somewhat under-bore ammunition. This helps speed up reloading, and decreases sensitivity to fouling, something the black powder would have produce a lot of.

That such is hell on the accuracy, well, as shown that may not have been a terribly major concern. And once we're at this point it doesn't seem to me like it'd make much sense to bother with very accurate barrels either, since that accuracy isn't very valued to begin with, and will be void anyway due to the ammo. Better the guns be cheap and plentiful instead.

So an old grunt's gun probably wasn't very accurate compared to, say, a smoothbore hunting weapon of the same time period. Hunting birds with firearms was a thing back in the 15th century.

And as OP specified old guns, instead of old muskets, it's also worth keeping in mind that we do see rifles from the late 15th century and onwards. While rare as military weapons until the 19th century, they did become somewhat widespread as hunting arms much earlier, in some places I suspect as early as the 16th-17th century.
>>
File: DSCN5621.jpg (266KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5621.jpg
266KB, 1296x972px
>>32712680
>they had no tolerances

The gap between wheel and pan in any half-decent wheel lock will be too small for gunpowder dust to fall through and into the mechanism, while still letting the wheel spin freely.

When it was necessary, they could have some damn fine tolerances.
>>
>>32712089
but we have the best of both worlds right now!
cheap and relatively good weapons.
if you want them to be engraved you just take them to a gunsmith/engraver and have him do it for you.
>>
>Not being able to order replacement parts, accessories, or magazines online

No fucking thank you.
>>
File: 1481092578933.jpg (208KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481092578933.jpg
208KB, 1440x900px
You can still do it, it is not practical, but if you are the artsy kind of fag (like me) then I have no problem with people decorationg a gun

But if I were to do it I would have the simplest bolt-action or double barrel I could find and make it A E S T H E T I C af

More complicated things would be a bigger nightmare to fix than a simpler gun
>>
>>32712089

You can still buy hand-crafted, custom rifles and handguns. They're just incredibly expensive.
>>
>>32712089
I want to see her bits.
>>
>>32712089

God Dammit, I don't even give a shit about this thread, but this is the third time I've clicked it just to see her.
>>
>>32714675
So fuck me, does Blaser make some great rifles.
I mean, I'm happy with the one I got, but it just ain't an R8 Stradivari. I got a mate who's so hellbent on getting one that he's parked his car and eaten tuna out of cans for two of three meals a day for half a year now to save money. If nothing else, he's in better shape than before.
>>
>>32712089
No
Also sauce
>>
>>32714675
I'm not sure I would even want a rifle like that, because it would be too pretty to use.
>>
>>32716866

http://g.e-hentai.org/g/688504/9c548a7d91/

Not OP but delivar
>>
File: russiannegroblaster.jpg (28KB, 600x347px) Image search: [Google]
russiannegroblaster.jpg
28KB, 600x347px
>>32712089
>Do you miss the days when
None of us here are even fucking kind of remotely old enough to remember that.

Protip: Nothing stopping you from crafting some powder blaster in your garage.
>>
>>32713460
They also had present, and have future, which is where we are now.
Therefore, those days have passed.
>>
>>32712089
Needing an artisan to assemble your weapon
Needing an artisan to repair your weapon
Using literal shit alloys
Using literal shit bullets
Using literal shit powder

No
>>
File: tumblr_ohf1p4Hrg11tbxmiro1_1280.jpg (93KB, 734x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohf1p4Hrg11tbxmiro1_1280.jpg
93KB, 734x960px
>>32716912
Yeah, impractical. like a ceremonial weapon thus making it not a weapond and just a pretty while sttill mediocre piece of wood ans metal

If I were to decorate a gun I would not go that far
>>
File: double_iowa.png (491KB, 730x963px) Image search: [Google]
double_iowa.png
491KB, 730x963px
>>32717437
Thanks m10
>>
>>32713480
That's clearances. Tolerances is acceptable variation of dimensions from nominal.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.