[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dealing with other people at the range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: rifle_range.jpg (25KB, 482x362px) Image search: [Google]
rifle_range.jpg
25KB, 482x362px
As A commando with autism, social anxiety, and anxiety I have a hard time shooting at the range if even a single other person is there, I just get so nervous and awkward and weirded out.

>11am thursday
>nobody should be at the range
>wrong
>one other guy there shooting
>Hit a trash can with my car pulling in
>want to drive out of there already in shame
>Park and put all my stuff on the bench
>H-Hi
>M-M-Mind if I go downrange to post a target
>2 more guys pull in and they obviously know each other and are talking and shit
>sitting there shooting in complete awkward silence
anyone else get like this.
>>
Try to be confident.
>>
>>32704487
>anyone else get like this
no. maybe you should bring a friend (assuming you have a range buddy)
>>
File: Thompson.gif (939KB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
Thompson.gif
939KB, 500x225px
>shooting very slow with my AR, One round every few seconds figure I was being nice
>Wanted to be alone so I could like
>>
>>32704487
Nobody really cares what you're doing so long as you're not being obnoxious or weird about stuff. I've struck up great conversations with strangers at the range, most people are pretty cool with that.

You'll never get over your social anxiety unless you get out and talk to people, actively disproving that anxiety. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
>>
>>32704487
I'm a lot like you. But aside from the gf, the range is the one place where I really strike up conversations that go on and on and on.
>>
maybe go find some isolated place innawoods or innadesert if your state has any public land
>>
Just go out your back door and shoot into the several miles of woodland that you own. Duh.
>>
>>32704487
Just shoot yourself
>>
I've never been to the range before because too anxious to even ask the guy how much it costs. Is talking to other people normal etiquette?
>>
>Commando

Not K

GTFO
>>
>>32704542

I have trouble starting conversation but if someone comes over and initiates I can hold a conversation, I'm in PA and their is really nowhere to just walk into the woods and shoot.
>>
>>32704487

Haha
>>
>>32705130
That's basically how I am.
Not as easy as it sounds, but you have to convince yourself that nobody there gives a damn about what you are doing and all that anxiety shit is in your head, because it is.
Nobody else there assumes anything other than that you're just another dude shooting.
>>
>>32705199
i wouldn't say "convince," because you can lie to yourself and be convincing. i'd say "teach."

>>32704487
first just focus on your breathing. just fucking breathe normal, force it on yourself to breathe deliberately steadily, and think about the breathing, and ignore every single stimulus in the outside world entirely (except "CEASE FIRE") as you take your shots. that's a start, work up from there.
>>
>>32704503
This. I hate shooting alone. I mean I'll sight shit in by my self but even on my own land I hate shooting alone.
>>
>>32705784
>even on my own land I hate shooting alone.
I know what you mean.
It's not really that I hate it, but it's a lot more fun with a friend. Lone shooting trips usually don't last long since there's nobody to to figuratively "high five" each time we shatter a rock into a dust cloud, clank a 400 yard steel plate, or send mud flying.
Still, I wouldn't ever want to give up my ability to shoot alone when I feel like it.
>>
>>32705130
What area in PA?
Although discussed as being illegal, here in central i can just about walk in anywhere on a decent trail find a spot with a decent backdrop and shoot with a beautiful view
>>
Goddamn, hate to see you at a urinal.
>>
Not OP but I detest talking to people at a urinal in corporate America.

Thirty seconds of peace is apparently way too much to ask for.
>>
>>32707514
The trick is to turn and face them while they speak to you.
>>
>>32704487
i have been told to leave 4 ranges. they seem to have a problem if you had a few tallboys before shooting. i don't know what the reason for that is i wasn't even buzzed.
>>
>>32704487
I always get anxious when some old men and their 10/22s are at the range. The range I go to has a real mix of awesome peopl, but it also has fudds that will openly say while your blasting away with your semiautomatic rifle "what a waste of ammunition " and things like "I don't need a black rifle". This is why I kind of can relate to OP.

All in all though, if ears are off and the range is cold, strike up a conversation about the gun they are using, it's how I make all of my range friends.

Pro tip though, avoid political topics.
>>
>>32707759
Is that you're girlfriend
>>
>>32707780
name the folder "gift ideas" and youre in the clear.
>>
>>32704487
>having to go to a range
>laughinggirl.png
cucks haha
>>
Am I autistic or paranoid if I think people are watching me when I'm at the range, and not talking about range masters.
>>
>>32707759
>>32707780
I hope she does so you can stop avatar fagging
>>
File: index.jpg (19KB, 192x263px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
19KB, 192x263px
>>32704487
I used to do all my shooting out on BLM land, either alone, or with some dumbshit friends, just to avoid the fudds and tards. Eventually I found a local gun club with public lanes. The RO's are friendly as shit and they clamp down hard on any dipshittery.

I've never had a "spa day", but from the way my wife describes it, I leave the range with the same feeling, and it only costs $10.

Keep looking, OP. Eventually you'll find a place where people will recognize you as a fellow gunfag and respect your space. That's when the magic happens.
>>
>>32705130
Where in PA anon? If you need a range buddy I'm sure there are some keystone /k/ommandos that will shoot with you.
>>
>>32704487
>go to range
>enjoying SR-15
>typical I married the first girl to put out and now I work 60hrsa week to maintain a lower middle class lifestyle comes up to my bench
>REEEE why are you shooting so much twoooo twooo three, it's loud, it smells (?), is that AP, 22lr is great for blastin why don't you have one instead?
>C...cool I'll look into it
>back to shooting

Fucking poorfags.
>>
>>32704532
>Nobody really cares what you're doing so long as you're not being obnoxious

That's not always true.

I've only ever had someone be a dick at the range. He didn't like that we were shooting standing while he was shooting bench rest at about 1 round per 10 minutes. So the entire time he shit talked to the RSO because he was an old as fuck member of the club that hosted the range.

Then he tried to teach me about why I shouldn't shoot an AK with a 74 muzzle brake so fast because some faggots a couple years ago didn't have their brake installed correctly and shot it off their gun being retards.

After about 30 minutes of this faggot shit talking us to the RSO we just started blasting away with the AKs sending brass his way.
>>
Think of it as a challenge. Obviously you'll be able to concetrate better when the range is empty and you don't have some guy blasting a .44 in the booth next to you, but the point of training is to be able to perform in the face of adversity. If go to the range and theres a birthday party and a bunch of soccer dads there and you can still shoot well, then that's valuable training.
>>
>>32704721
You have to talk to other people to get them to stop shooting long enough for you to set up your targets, obviously

>tfw only range within an hour of my place is just a very small series of wooden benches with a roof over them facing a hill
At least I don't have to pay for it
>>
I either just ignore people and they ignore me, or one of us might start some small talk and we just chat or shoot each others guns. Ignoring people is perfectly fine, unless they're being unsafe.

I've only had one autistic person constantly question the legality of the shit i had once. Also one time when someone wanted me to stop shooting becuase my cases would sometimes jump over the barrier and hit him. I didn't, and while I apologized I also told him that shit like this can happen at public ranges. Learn to deal with the occasional case or if he really wanted me to stop shooting that he should go get an RO to kick me out.

BLM would be different, but I've only shot with people I know at BLM, and randos that show up usually set up far enough to not be a bother.
>>
>>32705199
Now if only I could apply this thinking to the gym.
>>
>go to range
>literally just landed you go to to shoot. No paying or people supervising.
>see guy there
>he strikes up conversation
>motions to my nugget and says nice musket
>then goes on about being a child soldier in Cambodia or Vietnam or somega Asian country
>said he would just shoot all his ammo at the ground so his commander or whatever would let him back to camp (apparently couldn't come back with any ammo)
>FINALLY LEAVES
>finally begin shooting.
>>
>>32707620
Not this again...
>>
>>32704487
Garland public range?
>>
Use public land or buy land and make your own range
>>
>>32704487
>anyone else get like this.
It's actually the opposite.
I never wanna talk to anyone in normal time but at the range I kinda like talking to strangers.
>>
I am like this, unfortunately there seem to be no "gravel pits" in MN, and the nearest BLM land is in the western part of south dakota :(
>>
>>32709047
This reminds me of when I brought my m92 to a public range in Houston to shoot for the first time.

I'm too drunk to green text, but they went from being slightly interested in the gun and its caliber to being annoyed by how loud it is.
>>
>>32711597
This. Twin Cities metro area it's an indoor range or nothing pretty much.
>>
>>32711640
yeah and I frickin hate indoor ranges
they charge too much
it's crowded
noisy
stuffy
cramped
all I want is a nice, quiet open field in the middle of nowhere on a beautiful day to rapid fire into
>>
>>32711612
Your gun is loud? Who would've thought? Fucking dipshits.
>>
>>32711579
Same here, socially awkward as imaginable in all other situations but confident at the range. Got lucky growing up shooting guns so the range is a comfortable place for me.

Watching spaghetti be spilled toward me for a change and trying out other peoples guns/letting them blast through a few rounds with mine is always fun.

My best advice op is remember that most people who are into guns are massive nerds like you are and you are both nerds that have a similar interest. Work off that.
>>
>>32705130
Indeed, where in PA? Erie here.
>>
File: 1471297632331.jpg (10KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1471297632331.jpg
10KB, 400x240px
>>32711579
>>32711692
This so much. I'm a fucking sperg that can't hold a conversation but when at the range, I flow through discussions with ease.

And I'm actually confident enough to go do things I normally wouldn't like to do after I go to the range for some odd reason.
>>
File: 1420337969833.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1420337969833.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>>32704503
>autism
>social anxiety
>having friends
>>
>>32711640
Robbinsdale Bill's isn't so bad.

I was there on Monday and the guy on the lane next to me accidentally took my soft case for my CZ-85 though. :-/
>>
>>32705784
>not liking shooting alone

I wish I could have more time shooting alone. If any of my friends or family get a whiff that I'm going to the range everyone wants to come and then I spend maybe half the time shooting because everyone wants to try my shit. I find it cathartic to shoot by myself.
>>
>>32707592
Dang, I almost woke my 3 month old daughter laughing at this.
>>
Maybe it's because I'm in Canada and gun owners here tend to be pretty committed to their hobby because of all the hoops we have to jump through but I haven't had a single unpleasant conversation at the range, be it with old fudds, surplus dorks or tacticool tryhards.
>>
Sorry to hear about your situation OP. I started having anxiety attacks in high school and large groups of people were often the trigger. Thankfully they aren't really an issue anymore.
I've only been to a range once or twice. Where I grew up I could always shoot on my family's or friends property. I need to work on my flinch, so I see the random firing of other people shooting nearby as hopefully helping me with that.

If you know anyone that would go to the range with you that might help you feel less anxious. Zoloft helps too!
>>
I never go to a range outside of a match day unless I have a gun to test or an optic to sight, so I never have this problem.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.