[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Night vision scopes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: an-pvs-4-dvic568.jpg (22KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
an-pvs-4-dvic568.jpg
22KB, 450x319px
Does /k/ into night vision scopes? I used the goggles while in the army but I sorta want a nice night vision scope. Is there anything even remotely comparable available for poorfags?
>>
>>32703537

There's gen 1 and IR devices that are getting pretty cheap. The major disadvantages are image quality, light sensitivity, and almost always requiring a fuckhueg ir illuminator.

Assuming you used a PVS-14, there's a reason they're ~$3000 and most gear of comparable quality is about as expensive.
>>
>>32703537
Any sort of decent low light image enhancement is not within the realm of poorfags..

Grainy and short range shitty Gen1 gear, sure that's within poorfag prices, but anything half good (Gen3+) is instantly $2,000+.
>>
>>32703537
From experience in the military, I'll say that if you want a night scope, thermal is a better choice than IR. IR is great for general purpose and navigation, but thermal gives much better target acquisition for scanning and aiming with a weapon.

'Course decent thermal is probably expensive as shit too. I haven't used the civilian ones myself, but they look pretty grainy compared to what I'm used to. If you just want it for hunting or whatever, it's probably passable. Something with black and white mode with red/blue highlights is great for detecting living animals/people against nature.
>>
File: mDgoGQZBp9FpzonuVnd-u8A.jpg (9KB, 225x201px) Image search: [Google]
mDgoGQZBp9FpzonuVnd-u8A.jpg
9KB, 225x201px
>>32703570
>>32703580

I heard Gen 1 is total dogshit and not even worth having. I want to say the goggles I had were gen 3 but I could be wrong. THey looked like pic related.
>>
>>32703618
What about target id? How far away can you see a face, or hands and what is in them.
>>
>>32703620
PVS-7s or PVS-7Bs. Gen III.

It is shameful that you don't know your individual equipment.
>>
>>32703537
I used LUCIE once.
Shit was cool, but I was underwhelmed by the image quality.
>>
>>32703620

Gen1 "works" but its range is basically limited to how far you can illuminate. If you're going for short ranges or targets that don't know what a dull red glow in the dark means gen1 might work.
>>
>>32703658
> google LUCIE
>first image that pops up
Why only once?
>>
>>32703744
Not that LUCIE, sadly.
>>
What happens when someone points a flashlight at you, at night, wearing NVG-s? Can it be used as a tactic against a night-vision equipped enemy?
>>
>>32703650
I dumped alot of that shit to make room for college. Limited space sorry.

>>32703683
what about full moon nights in the desert? Is the image quality just too shit? I just want them mostly for tracking at 300-400 meters at least. I doubt I'd actually shoot anything in the dark with these.

>>32703618
I just assumed it was 1000X more expensive and heavy. I haven't even looked into that.
>>
>>32703774
You mean like this?
Nothing really happens in the army ones. The goggles won't see anything but you won't get blinded either. Its like if someone on TV points a flashlight in the camera.
>>
>>32703774

Gen 3 devices don't give a shit, it just washes out the image. Gen 1 and some gen 2 devices can actually be damaged by overexposure. You can use an IR illuminator to deny the enemy NVG's but anyone not in the beam will know exactly where you are.
>>
>>32703803

300m is excessive under any conditions for gen 1.
>>
there are 2 types of NV scopes:

Starlight and gen 1 scopes : old, cheap but not very effective

Gen 2/3 : really expensive but very effective (pvs 22, pvs 31)
>>
>>32703774
>Autogating

This was solved decades ago. TV and movies doing the silly sequence where somebody flips on a light and a person wearing night vision goggles starts screaming in pain are cartoonishly unrealistic.

Either the goggles go to the maximum allowed light setting, or at worst they turn off.

>Can it be used as a tactic against a night-vision equipped enemy?
Sure, if you want to give away your position to angry and clearly well equipped people.
>>
i bought a Arma sight CO MR for my cross bow and it works like a dream the picture with the sight has everything to do with ambient light i notice when its darkest its the grainiest it was worth it
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.