[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, Any good documentaries on the Irish Republican Army?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ira.jpg (168KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ira.jpg
168KB, 1280x720px
Hey guys,

Any good documentaries on the Irish Republican Army? Don't know a whole lot about the group and I trust /k/ over /his/ to give me something that's not terribly dry. Either on youtube or an actual film is fine. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>32702686

>don't know alot about this group

They're terrorist assholes who killed women and children and they can suck my tiny northern Irish dick

Northern Ireland is British, the republic is no Irish, keep it that way ffs

T. Half northern Irish half American
>>
>>32702745
not saying they're upstanding or anything, just don't know anything about the conflict my man.
>>
File: 1483995815893.jpg (82KB, 834x528px) Image search: [Google]
1483995815893.jpg
82KB, 834x528px
>good documentaries
>dry
>on YouTube
>or a film
>>
>>32702764

Tl;dr

>northern Ireland is British
>Republic of Ireland wants northern Ireland to be part of the republic
>uk government says northern Ireland is British
>political party called sinn fein (pronounced shin fayne) wants a unified Ireland
>a paramilitary group called the Irish republican army does terrorist attacks on behalf of sinn fein, i.e ira is the military arm of sinn fein but sinn fein denies that
>ira bombs the fuck out innocent people and gets in fights with british army
>fast forward to today
>conflict still going on but extremely low intensity
>>
>>32702830
>>Republic of Ireland wants northern Ireland to be part of the republic
not during the troubles, they were fairly neutral

>>a paramilitary group called the Irish republican army does terrorist attacks on behalf of sinn fein, i.e ira is the military arm of sinn fein but sinn fein denies that
a very controversial statement

>>conflict still going on but extremely low intensity
it's over. sinn fein/republicans have representation in the n irish assembly. they signed the deal

I wouldn't call shooting and throwing petrol bombs at each other children as they walk to school a 'low intensity conflict', the violence over there is more motivated by hate rather than political ambitions these days
>>
Here is a good interview from Spin where a reported got embedded within the IRA and interviewed them: http://www.spin.com/featured/inside-the-ira-spins-1994-feature/
>>
>>32702745
Unionists did the same to Catholics and Nationalists, the North was stolen from the Gaelic Clans
>>
Whats the latest slavshit that they've been seen with, more shitty AKMs made by middle eastern farmers?
>>
Well, over and over. The official IRAl aid down it arms and Sinn Fein, their party, is now legal and iirc part of govt. There are/were however a few splinter groups with former IRA guys that came to be because they were not willing to end the battle. These are illegal and are also hunted down by the IRA because of breaking the peace. There's probably a lot more shit happening between these minor factions than goes on in the news. Also there's still a few noisy asshats on both sides who likes to stir the shit pot but they are aging; young Irishmen have lives of their own pursuing work and careers and don't need to get irrelevant shit on their record. It is not coincidental that the conflict, broadly, ended when Ireland got their great economic success in the 90s.

I can't recommend you a good documentary because I can't think of any. But you could always see 'Michael Collins' to get a picture of how the struggle started.
>>
>>32702830
>northern Ireland is British
Wut?
>Republic of Ireland wants northern Ireland to be part of the republic
It's a conflict propagated at a religious/cultural level based on religious discrimination, The IRA likes to imply they were fighting against the British government to legitimise themselves.

Basically Irish nationalists still salty about what England did to them (in the distant past even during the troubles) want to retake northern Ireland on principle. The Northern Irish see British rule as preferable to uniting the country because they're protestant and fear catholic discrimination.

Also the ulster guard are as bad if not worse then the IRA they just get no press because they were on the 'right' side
>>
Hard to tell if some of the shit here is bait or just ignorant idiots claiming their shit tastes better

There are too many factors to give a proper TL;DR and no side is free of doing fucking disgusting shite whatever their justification may be.
That being said, I cant think of any documentaries so sorry OP
>>
>Irish Republican Army
Why not "Irish Rifle Association"?
>>
>>32705342
Because they were blowing up people, including men,women and children, they succeeded in assasinating Lord Mountbatten and nearly Thatcher

Sin Fenn didnt explicitly endorse the IRA but everyone knew the IRA was an arm of Sinn-Fenn and Gerry Adams, who was vice president of Sinn Fenn, was quite obviously associated directly and is widely blamed by many here in Britain including the Royal family, Mountbatten was the uncle of prince phillip, prince Charles in particular hates the IRA for this.

>attached a radio-controlled bomb weighing 50 pounds (23 kg). When Mountbatten was aboard, just a few hundred yards from the shore, the bomb was detonated. The boat was destroyed by the force of the blast, and Mountbatten's legs were almost blown off. Mountbatten, then aged 79, was pulled alive from the water by nearby fishermen, but died from his injuries before being brought to shore.[99][101][102] Also aboard the boat were his eldest daughter Patricia (Lady Brabourne), her husband John (Lord Brabourne), their twin sons Nicholas and Timothy Knatchbull, John's mother Doreen, (dowager) Lady Brabourne, and Paul Maxwell, a young crew member from County Fermanagh.[103] Nicholas (aged 14) and Paul (aged 15) were killed by the blast and the others were seriously injured.[104] Doreen, Lady Brabourne (aged 83) died from her injuries the following day.[105]
>>
>>32705456
>The IRA issued a statement afterward, saying:
The IRA claim responsibility for the execution of Lord Louis Mountbatten. This operation is one of the discriminate ways we can bring to the attention of the English people the continuing occupation of our country. [...] The death of Mountbatten and the tributes paid to him will be seen in sharp contrast to the apathy of the British government and the English people to the deaths of over three hundred British soldiers, and the deaths of Irish men, women and children at the hands of their forces.[98][106]

>Six weeks later,[107] Sinn Féin vice-president Gerry Adams said of Mountbatten's death:
The IRA gave clear reasons for the execution. I think it is unfortunate that anyone has to be killed, but the furor created by Mountbatten's death showed up the hypocritical attitude of the media establishment. As a member of the House of Lords, Mountbatten was an emotional figure in both British and Irish politics. What the IRA did to him is what Mountbatten had been doing all his life to other people; and with his war record I don't think he could have objected to dying in what was clearly a war situation. He knew the danger involved in coming to this country. In my opinion, the IRA achieved its objective: people started paying attention to what was happening in Ireland.[107]
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.