[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ so im writing a book. Main character is a us marine and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1474820028092.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474820028092.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
Hey /k/ so im writing a book. Main character is a us marine and while i am going into the marines this year i find myself a little less than knowledgeable on subjects like military desegnations for units (not sure if thats some hollywood bullshit) do they just go by the letter code (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta) or are there specific code names for infantry and air units? Also some military slang would be useful though i think i got a bit of it down already from marine friends and other sources.
>>
File: 1473831446641.jpg (65KB, 680x818px) Image search: [Google]
1473831446641.jpg
65KB, 680x818px
What i mean is when you see in films and such units refer to themselves as "phantom" or "archangel" to name a few. Is this a thing or just hollywood bullshittery
>>
Not a Marine, but I'm down with giving all the help I can to a fellow (aspiring or not, I don't know you) writer.

I don't know how terminology works in the USMC, but I can tell you that most military denominations are extremely pragmatic, designed to be synthetic and easily understandable, hence all the acronyms and contractions. In my country, we designate squads with the team leader's name, platoons with a Nato alphabet letter (or an equivalent) and companies with a number preceded by the batallion number. For example, mechanized infantry batallion 25, second company, first platoon, Miller squad would be designated as "Miller Squad, Alpha platoon, InfBat25/1".
Acronyms tend to be country/corps specific, so I can offer little help with that.
What's the story about, OP?
>>
>>32701591
Some elements of the hierarchy tend to have specific callsigns; General Mattis was "Chaos" during the Iraq invasion of 2003, if I remember correctly, but I don't know how it would work down the ranks. I guess it would admissible for a renowned/particular tactical element to have a callsign of their own choice.
>>
File: nhkzym7.jpg (62KB, 453x639px) Image search: [Google]
nhkzym7.jpg
62KB, 453x639px
>>32701617
>>32701629
Dunno hows its going yet. Story is about sgt. Eli miller ( yeah im a fan of book of eli) a squad leader in the us marines, eli dies and the story progresses as eli whitnesses how his loved ones and squadmates deal with his death.

Also props for saint mattis. Glad im going in when i am
>>
>>32701671
Seems like a story with a good potential, definitely keep at it! Is it your first book/long story, m8?
>>
>>32701681
Its the first one ive put so much work into but ive written a few shorter books before. Might implement a element of supernatural (a angel to guide his way) and definitely gonna use alot of symbolism
>>
>>32701701
In the type of story im writing theres a fine line between entertaining and cringy so its tough not to sound like an ass
>>
>>32701701
Nice, good luck with it, OP. I've written a few short stories before and I've been stuck on my first real novel for a while now, nothing has been published yet. Be less lazy than I am and make it big.
>>
>>32701711
I doubt ill actually get any coverage but ill definitely try to get it out there. Ive never had the patience to do a longer novel so i dont know how itll go yet but i want to put my all into it
>>
>>32701729
UPDATE: squad mates are as follow

Squad leader, MC, dead guy, squad marksman- sergent. Eli P. Miller

Token black guy, zen master, .50 gunner- Corporal. James M. Curtis

New blood, squad mascot, pretty boy, standard infantry- private. Michael k, Turney

Wildcard, racist, asian, squad comedian- lieutenant. Rodney S. Mazaki

Jew, fag, voice of reason- private harold M. Wasaluski

Any input on names and maybe a better squad makup would be much appreciated. Im basically civilian on this issue so any mistakes aren't from lack of trying
>>
>>32701575
Look for some FM books that the USCM use.
>>
>>32701950
These guys are all Marine infantry? That's not a very diverse MOS. An Asian lieutenant fits, but the vast majority of your grunts are going to be white guys.
>>
>>32701981
Yeah but i like the idea ofa gay jew, racist asian and zen black guy. Again im green as fuck so any advice given would be appreciated
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.